Negative Reviews

I have been awaiting the reviews on Serenade since she arrived in New Orleans. There were 4 new ones posted over the weekend so I was very excited to read them. There wasn't much positive included in them, but some to most of the things that people complained about were things that either you would know if you did research or things that have been that way for at least the past 3 years I have been cruising. (If you curious, you can read them for yourself under Member Reviews for Serenade)

I'm not a positive person myself, but honestly there hasn't been anything that I've encountered on a cruise that either was not something that I knew was a possibility of happening or was bad enough for me to come back with a horrible review. Yes, I'm concerned about the size of the ship for the number of Sea Days, yes I'm not as crazy about the ports on this cruise, yes I know there is a good chance we will miss Cocoa Cay, but I still made the decision to book the cruise. So, those reviews didn't give me any good information on the ship itself (crowds, condition, etc). Just their personal horrible experience. I wasn't going to do a Trip Review on our upcoming sailing, but I think I will just to debunk some of this stuff. Or maybe I'll be surprised and it's really as bad as they all said it was.

To me a week on a crusie ship is better than a week at home working all day and coming home to cook, clean, and take care of the kids.

Sometimes, the author doesn't know they should or could research a particular issue. It's possible they didn't know it was an issue until it happened.

I'm grateful for negative reviews. If it seems I have similar interests as the author, I know ahead of time how to avoid or lessen certain problems.

To me a week on a crusie ship is better than a week at home working all day and coming home to cook, clean, and take care of the kids.

In a nutshell this is my opinion.

Different people expect different things, they have different tastes, different likes & dislikes... As soon as someone complains that all they have is "Coke" then someone will say, "Yay, I love Pepsi." etc. I read the reviews to kill time...

I personally try not to read reviews anymore. Everybody see's things different through their own eyes. Some things are more important to one person then they are to another. People's palates are different, so what I might love in the dining room, someone else might hate. Some people are more easy going and let the little things roll of their backs. Others are less forgiving and some little things will spoil their whole cruise.

In the past I have read reviews that were written because I was on the same sailing. I found myself scratching my head because after reading some of them, I was convinced that we were on different ships. Now I just don't read them anymore unless I know the reviewer personally. I rather just get on board and base my opinions on my own experiences and observations.

Edited by Zigggypup

I personally try not to read reviews anymore. .

Same here. Unless they are posted here in this forum, I will never see them. Every cruise Ive ever been on had some horrible reviews and I too find myself thinking "we must have been on different ships!"

I read them and since I have taken many cruises it's pretty easy to tell who is nitpicking and who raises valid points. In regards to the last 4 reviews regarding Serenade, I find the review by member Erica1NT titled "Not as family friendly as expected" to raise some very good points regarding her 3 year old. This information will be very helpful to people planning a cruise with 3-5 year olds.

After 26 Royal Caribbean cruises I will tell you that our 9 day cruise on the Serenade in December does not rank among our favorites. We enjoyed ourselves as we always do but certainly weren't WOW'ed.

I read only one review and thought it was very balanced between the good and the bad and on this particular cruise we experienced both. Hopefully it was just first New Orleans cruise growing pains and things will get better.

Personally I'm not sure I like the upgrades. I loved the old Radiance class. We have had great cruises on the Radiance and the Jewel. DH has always preferred a ship with a Royal Promenade and I think this trip may make it hard for me to get him on anything less than a Voyager class in the future.

Over the years, the following strategy has worked for me: I read all of the recent reviews of a ship that I can find (both in the review section and on the general boards). Then, I toss out the top and bottom 10% of everything I found. That eliminates the trolls and hopeless cheerleaders, and gives you a pretty good picture of what to expect from that ship/itinerary. :cool:

We enjoyed ourselves as we always do but certainly weren't WOW'ed.

Personally I'm not sure I like the upgrades. I loved the old Radiance class. We have had great cruises on the Radiance and the Jewel. DH has always preferred a ship with a Royal Promenade and I think this trip may make it hard for me to get him on anything less than a Voyager class in the future.

Totally agree with not being "WOWed" on every cruise and it's usually when we are on Carnival.

As a DH, I agree with your DH, Voyager class or above for me. Hopefully, Quantum class in the near future.

Didn't write a review, but I was on Serenade for Nov West Med cruise. Really enjoyed it and not sure what "upgrades" you didn't like. I have only been on Radiance size ships and really didn't notice anything substantially different from the Jewel other than different color carpets, but still had open glass for elevators, etc. Initially missed staircase in Atrium, but liked the aerial shows. Still miss Seaview Cafe, but knew that was coming. Overall, nothing major was changed in my opinion.

I was on a port intensive cruise so maybe didn't notice what others may have. I really enjoyed my cruise on the Serenade. But prefer the Jewel, esp when it leaves my hometown.:)

After 26 Royal Caribbean cruises I will tell you that our 9 day cruise on the Serenade in December does not rank among our favorites. We enjoyed ourselves as we always do but certainly weren't WOW'ed.

I read only one review and thought it was very balanced between the good and the bad and on this particular cruise we experienced both. Hopefully it was just first New Orleans cruise growing pains and things will get better.

I agree, while I thought that this was a great cruise there were just a lot of little issues that kept it from WOWing me. Perhaps it was because a lot of the crew were changing. Personal I like most of the changes especially the new restaurants and DL and CL but it seemed like a lot of activities were concentrated into the centrum possibility because of the changes or that there were a lot of D+ and pinnacle members on board and their evening events took up a lot of the other venues. There were over 30 pinnacles on this sailing. Like many I was a bit disappointed as I had expected to see more Christmas decorations. But all in all I loved the cruise and will do it again. Any excuse to go to New Orleans!

Same here. Unless they are posted here in this forum, I will never see them. Every cruise Ive ever been on had some horrible reviews and I too find myself thinking "we must have been on different ships!"

Well, here is 2 more cents worth. I’m pretty well convinced that some reviews are influenced by the belief that “Cruise Critic” means “critical” about every detail and that means “pick it to death.” To me, a WoW is “meets expectations.” After several RCI cruises you come to expect certain things. If they are there then everything is as it should be. Remember your first cruise? The waiter on the second night knew your name and the assistant waiter brought your tea before you asked for it. Now, after a few weeks on a ship within the past year or two the waiter brings your tea on the first night and welcomes you back or “home.” It’s a good feeling to know the routine and enjoy the perks of being known. When the system breaks down it’s good to know how to help fix it and IMHO, that’s what experienced cruisers should do. Try to help fix it. Example A: An assistant waiter is really off their game. Option 1: post a review on CC that says service sucked on __ of the Seas. OR Option 2: Get the nearest head waiter’s attention and suggest that “our wait team needs a little help or direction.” Example B: Option 1: post a review on CC that says “The staff on __ of the Seas was incompetent. The cabin attendant was the worst I’ve ever had. “ OR Option 2: Contact the Deck Supervisor and suggest that Cabin Attendant X is off their game. Example C: Option 1: post a review on CC that says the Guest Services Officers on __ of the Seas is totally incompetent. Option 2: Speak slow and distinct using short simple sentences that say exactly what your problem is, what you would like to see happen, and end with a question: “Do you understand my situation and can you help me, please?” If not, then “may I speak to someone else, maybe the Front Desk Supervisor or the Guest Services Manager, please? “

Remembering that English may not be their first language will go a long way to clearing up exactly what the problem is. Once the yelling starts the understanding stops. Once the emotions take over the defensive mechanisms kick in.

Of course, this is just MHO. YEMV. Keep smiling and keep cruising.

I have arrived at that magic place where almost nothing can bother me longer than the next breath. Something good is always on the way. :D

I read them and since I have taken many cruises it's pretty easy to tell who is nitpicking and who raises valid points. In regards to the last 4 reviews regarding Serenade, I find the review by member Erica1NT titled "Not as family friendly as expected" to raise some very good points regarding her 3 year old. This information will be very helpful to people planning a cruise with 3-5 year olds.

I agree it would be useful, but as a mother of a 3-5 year old this is stuff I've seen all over these boards. As a matter of fact, we chose to wait until my youngest was older for the very reason she was complaining. The issue is by posting it there only people sailing that ship will find it, but it's not Serenade policy, that is fleet wide.

I guess I assume those who know to come post a review also know about the forums and would ask those questions before they go. To each their own. I'm happy to escape the cold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We are booked for Serenade next week. We sailed on Serenade Jan. 2013 in the Med. The ship had just gone through refit. Everything was really clean. Service was very good. We liked the CD and his staff. We did notice that the food in the Windjammer was often lukewarm and some of our entrees in the Dining Room were lukewarm also. We said something to our headwaiter and she came up with some excuse and then every night came and "followed up" on the conversation which became annoying. It seemed like some of the foods in the Windjammer could easily become dangerous to eat when the temps are not kept at a certain temp for a long time. We found that for breakfast it was best to have made to order eggs. Food is very subjective but I was not that impressed with the new menu - but I do not eat seafood. We do not think the food is as good as it used to be on cruise ships but that also helps prevent us from overeating. We sailed when the weather was colder so the Centrum became very crowded for the aerial performances. Obviously, we liked Serenade enough to sail again. We always have a good time cruising!

I agree it would be useful, but as a mother of a 3-5 year old this is stuff I've seen all over these boards. As a matter of fact, we chose to wait until my youngest was older for the very reason she was complaining. The issue is by posting it there only people sailing that ship will find it, but it's not Serenade policy, that is fleet wide.

I guess I assume those who know to come post a review also know about the forums and would ask those questions before they go. To each their own. I'm happy to escape the cold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just have an issue with a cruise line claiming to be great for kids 3-5 years old (royal tots) and then to board to find that is not exactly the case. They have a nursery for 6 to 36 month olds who are in diapers but can be left alone with staff but not a 3 year old who is potty trained but wears pull ups as a precaution. That doesn't make any sense to me that the child must be under parental supervision at the royal tots program because of that. I wonder if my 8 month old will be barred from the royal babies nursery for some bogus reason like she encountered. I feel her complaint was warranted and it is something RC should look into in the future IMO.

Edited by Jtd724

I agree it would be useful, but as a mother of a 3-5 year old this is stuff I've seen all over these boards. As a matter of fact, we chose to wait until my youngest was older for the very reason she was complaining.

Could possibly be why my folks waited 'til I was 41 to bring me along (they've been going pretty much annually since 1978), but by then I was past needing oversight, AND past getting into loads of adult trouble.

I understand your predicament though. Just an opening for me to bring that one up, heh heh.

I agree with the overall tone of the thread though that some folks really do seem 'quite a bit more particular' than we. From some of the reviews you'd think the food on a Soviet Troop Transport would be more tasty. In my own fairly limited experience compared to some seasoned cruisers I have yet to come across a problem that cannot be addressed and fixed with the right attitude. I'd much rather fix the problem and resume enjoying the vacation than get all clenched up about it and let the next 5 days be ruined. They'll never come back.

Funny thing was there's been only two places we got absolutely dismal service and treatment. The Ice Cream and Coffee place on Voyager, and the Ice Cream and Coffee place on Mariner one year later. It was like they knew to put the "D" team on duty there. Will that stop us from sailing Navigator and trying for an Ice Cream? Hey, 3rd time's a charm I suppose...

We were on the same Serenade Cruise December 12-21 with SA Traveler and Don Pedro. I think the review posted by Mrs. B05 is pretty balanced.

There was a 1.5 hr wait between appetizer and entrée at Giovani's the first night. We asked about the holdup, they kept replying shortly. The bill was adjusted so we only paid for one meal, of 3.

The cabin steward was okay, he certainly wasn't as outstanding or as efficient as others we have had. The cabins weren't usually made up before lunch time. Oh yes, and we had no robes in the cabin. When I called, they said they are "by request". I think not. They were brought promptly.

The M&M time was changed from 11:00 AM to 9:30 AM along with the venue. As usual, a lot of people didn't receive the correct invitations or didn't receive them in time to make the event.

The centrum was nicely decorated for Christmas. We heard the MDR had a tree. The rest of the ship, wasn't.

There was also some rather vocal animosity between the activity staff and some of the trivia players. Our impression was that it had started on the transatlantic cruise and apparently carried over to this cruise.

It wasn't anything really worth complaining to anyone about. I agree with the others that while it was a fine cruise, it wasn't a WOW cruise.

And you're right, while our expectations were met, they certainly weren't exceeded. :)

I have been awaiting the reviews on Serenade since she arrived in New Orleans. There were 4 new ones posted over the weekend so I was very excited to read them. There wasn't much positive included in them, but some to most of the things that people complained about were things that either you would know if you did research or things that have been that way for at least the past 3 years I have been cruising. (If you curious, you can read them for yourself under Member Reviews for Serenade)

I'm not a positive person myself, but honestly there hasn't been anything that I've encountered on a cruise that either was not something that I knew was a possibility of happening or was bad enough for me to come back with a horrible review. Yes, I'm concerned about the size of the ship for the number of Sea Days, yes I'm not as crazy about the ports on this cruise, yes I know there is a good chance we will miss Cocoa Cay, but I still made the decision to book the cruise. So, those reviews didn't give me any good information on the ship itself (crowds, condition, etc). Just their personal horrible experience. I wasn't going to do a Trip Review on our upcoming sailing, but I think I will just to debunk some of this stuff. Or maybe I'll be surprised and it's really as bad as they all said it was.

After reading those reviews and realizing that I was on the same cruise as the "reviewers", I was shocked. (1) The embarkation and debarkation in New Orleans was the best I've ever encountered. We waited in no line and only had a half hour wait in the waiting area before being boarded by C&A status (i.e., Pinnacle, D+, D, Emerald, etc.). Contrary to what one reviewer stated, we were all told (several times) that the cabins would not be ready until 1:00. We were delighted when we found the tables/chairs at the back of the ship, behind the Windjammer by Rita's Cantina (we'd never been on a ship with the Windjammer in the back of the ship). (2) We only eat in the Windjammer (did the MDR several cruises in the beginning and decided we didn't enjoy it). I never ate any food that was just lukewarm. As a matter of fact, several times I had to wait while my food cooled down. The only complaint I had was all the younger kids making a mess at the buffets with no adult helping them so there was food all over the floor because they piled their plates so high all of the food wouldn't stay on. (3) I thought the Christmas decorations were tastefully done. Since the ship isn't one of the massive ships, there wouldn't have been room for big huge decorations. Santa Clause did come and all the kids got presents and that looked like a lot of fun. (4) I was also disappointed that we didn't get to stop at CocoCay but if people did their research and looked at the weather forecast, they would have known there would be a possibility we'd not make it. I know a couple who cruise from November to April and more often than not they don't make it to the private island.

All in all, I thought the Serenade was a great ship. We enjoyed ourselves, had a GREAT cabin steward and ate way too much (the deserts were especially good - especially the cookies!)! I appreciated the fact that the staff made sure the Solarium remained adult swimming only.

Have a fun cruise and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

I like reading almost all reviews - good, bad and terrible (the ones I don't like is where everything was fabulous - the absolute best ever!!!!!!!)

When I read something negative, I like to think, "how much of an impact would this have on me if it happened?" or "Would this make it a bad cruise for me?"

I mean, I can sympathize with the person who had issues with her 2 year old on the Explorer and the lack of child friendly events but it wouldn't impact my cruise. On the other hand, hearing about someone on the ship who found that 8/10 washrooms didn't have a wheelchair stall (not true, just using as an example) would have a huge impact on my cruise.

And things like cold food, bad stewards, slow MDR service - that can happen on any ship, any cruiseline. And while it may be true for one person, the next person might have had piping hot food, a steward who did magic tricks for the kids and sanitize the cabin 5 times a day plus the most amazing MDR servers who invited you to their wedding because you all became so close.

Sometimes I like to read reviews that do pick apart the cruise because it helps to temper my expectations - nothing in life is perfect, there will always be issues, you just have to be prepared and roll with what you can.

I was also on that 9-day Serenade cruise and I have to admit that it is not my favorite Royal ship. We did have a great cabin attendant, Jacqueline Garvey, but our waiter was lacking in certain "people" skills. It never smiled, not only with us but the people around us. Every night he gave me my sister's dish and my sister my dish. Of course we just exchanged dishes but even seeing us do this he never said anything. Even an "opps, sorry" would have been nice.

The two aerial shows were nice but I found myself comparing them to the Ice Shows I use to enjoy on the Voyager and the Navigator. But if you wanted a place to sit on the floor you almost needed to be there an hour early. Otherwise you find yourself standing at a small spaced railing on Deck 3 all the way up to Deck 10.

Giovanni was a nice change of pace but it is old Italian Family Dining (the way I grew up) so bring your appetite because the servings are huge.

On sea days the only place we could find to sit in comfort was on Deck 13 in the Vortex 13 lounge. The Schooner Bar area that is suppose to take the place of the Promenade for people watching was standing room only.

As on any Royal ship Customer Service was hit or miss. One time you will get a nice, knowledgeable person and the next someone who is in a not-so-happy mood and knows nothing. When my sister asked for a print out of what Diamond amenities we had on our sea-pass card the guy behind the counter told her 'none.' He said that there was nothing pre-loaded on our cards and he couldn't help her. She looked at him, walked away and went up to the Diamond Lounge and asked the concierge for a list which he promptly gave her a copy. And with a smile too :)

I know some people would love this smaller ship but it just isn't for us. So our next cruise will be on The Navigator next November.

Edited by lady_cruiser