CruiseNut24

Joe's Crab Shack?

Forgive me if the answer is out there some where, but I thought I heard/ saw or read something about Joe's Crab Shack being on some Princess ships? Does anyone know if there is and what the deal is or did I just dream this up. Thanks

Princess has some Crab Shack specialty restaurants on some ships. It's not Joe's Crab Shack, but they do a Crab Shack theme. I just had it on the Star Princess. I believe it's only on three ships. I really liked it. They took part of the Horizon Court on 4 or 5 nights of the 15 night cruise and offered a menu of a steam pot and few other things.

Here are some pictures I took while dining there aboard Royal Princess last month:

Appetizer

11245150065_650c744e87_c.jpg

Soup

11245150285_79d61680cf_c.jpg

11245225976_a4145b8485_c.jpg

Steam Pot for Two

11245226566_715afc766c_c.jpg

Mud bugs that were requested

11245226596_83bb0f00c2_c.jpg

Peel and eat shrimp

11245226866_58d88f2299_c.jpg

Dessert and my cappuccino

11245226876_64935aaaa4_c.jpg

11245227216_5e59956405_c.jpg

I love Joe's Crab Shack! Too bad its not the same, although it looks delicious anyway!! I would definitely pay to eat rather than just the free meal. I do prefer not to have sausage in my seafood, but Joe's does it that way too. I usually get the Lobster and Crab one though, without the sausage.

Here's the menu:

I just took the Christmas cruise from SF to Hawaii on the Grand (Dec 18-Jan 4) and the menu was slightly different... see photo below.

From the reviews given to me from fellow passengers, it was decent. Nobody absolutely loved it but nobody hated it either. We tried to get reservations but waited too long. I guess it fills up very fast.

crabshack.jpg

From the reviews given to me from fellow passengers, it was decent.

Nobody absolutely loved it but nobody hated it either.

We tried to get reservations but waited too long.

I guess it fills up very fast.

There were five of us that ate there one evening on Royal Princess.

All agreed it was tasty and well worth the $20pp surcharge.

:D

Joe's Crab Shack is a (chain?) restaurant here in Texas with picnic table seating and all sorts of stuff hanging from the ceiling and walls. The food presentation is no where near as nice as the photos below. Definitely not Joe's onboard.

I loved it when I had it on the Star. It was probably the best meal I had on the ship and I went to Sabatini's and the Crown Grill, too. Loved it. For some reason, I can't seem to post pictures anymore or I'd show you the food I had.

OK, I think I figured out how to upload photos. Here are my Crab Shack photos. They told me that everyone gets the same appetizer, soup and a choice from the dessert cart. For the entrée he said everyone gets the steam pot. LOL. I told him that was what I planned on ordering. It was a great meal for me.

DSCN1606.jpg.cd322ead84896ff335158900c73aeeb9.jpg

DSCN1610.jpg.b9624f7c40985f85e7da368fa69c596c.jpg

DSCN1604.jpg.ff854ff36d22f6104464078b1c7d845d.jpg

DSCN1613.jpg.29f827e28d307ffa4fa30f724582eceb.jpg

DSCN1615.jpg.6c6b682880b29b89bef0dffa75690943.jpg

Joe's Crab Shack is a (chain?) restaurant here in Texas with picnic table seating and all sorts of stuff hanging from the ceiling and walls. The food presentation is no where near as nice as the photos below. Definitely not Joe's onboard.

Joe's Crab Shack is a chain restaurant originally started by Landry's in Houston. It was sold to investors in 2006. They have restaurants in 35 states. It is fast food pseudo cajun.

They offered the Crab Shack special meal at lunch on the Island last fall on several sea days (we had quite a few since we crossed the canal). We chose not to partake as it is a specialty choice.

Steam Pot for Two

11245226566_715afc766c_c.jpg

Mud bugs that were requested

11245226596_83bb0f00c2_c.jpg

Peel and eat shrimp

11245226866_58d88f2299_c.jpg

Dessert and my cappuccino

11245226876_64935aaaa4_c.jpg

11245227216_5e59956405_c.jpg

I can not wait to try this!!!!

I loved it when I had it on the Star. It was probably the best meal I had on the ship and I went to Sabatini's and the Crown Grill, too. Loved it. For some reason, I can't seem to post pictures anymore or I'd show you the food I had.

we were on the Star Princess in July and had the crab shack dinner. Very much worth the $20. per person. Nice to have a different kind of meal. And because the horizon court at the back was cordoned off from the rest of the Horizon Court area, it felt special.

There's a Joe's Crab Shack here and I enjoy going out to dinner there. I, for one, would like having that type of meal as a change from what's generally offered on a cruise.

Joe's Crab Shack is a chain restaurant originally started by Landry's in Houston. It was sold to investors in 2006. They have restaurants in 35 states. It is fast food pseudo cajun.

There is also a Joe's Crab Shack in Ft. Lauderdale.

There's a Joe's Crab Shack here and I enjoy going out to dinner there. I, for one, would like having that type of meal as a change from what's generally offered on a cruise.

Is it a $20 cover charge? :D

Yes--$20 pp charge. The food was good except for the hushpuppies. Hopefully, these have improved since we were on the Royal last fall. We enjoyed it and would do it again. It's a nice change of pace.

Yes--$20 pp charge. The food was good except for the hushpuppies. Hopefully, these have improved since we were on the Royal last fall. We enjoyed it and would do it again. It's a nice change of pace.

Yes, $20 pp cover charge.

I know, I was referring to Trevens land based one. ;)

I don't care for crab at all but my wife loves it. The crab legs in the pictures look a bit on the skinny side to me. There can't be a lot of meat in them. Are those in the picture typical of what is served?

I don't care for crab at all but my wife loves it. The crab legs in the pictures look a bit on the skinny side to me. There can't be a lot of meat in them. Are those in the picture typical of what is served?

Yes, thats why you need seconds and fourths.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Pictured is snow crab but on the Ruby we had king crab. The menu on the Royal is a little different than it was on the Ruby.

Mike:)

Personally I think there's too much work in getting what little reward there is with crab. I'd probably eat around the crab and chow down on whatever there is along side. The steamer pot sounds good tho.

Edited by Treven

Can anyone tell me if I can book this on formal night in Horizon Court on Star Princess for our Jan. cruise? We do not wish to partake in formal nights and this would be nice to do instead. :)

We tried the Star Princess on the way to Alaska. It was offered 4 nights and we tried the first available. The children's programs were still operating the floor above us and so we had the soundtrack of a ball game of some sort. Check this is NOT happening when you book.

The food was not the best and it was not worth even thinking to book one of the three other nights it was offered. Battered and deep fried anything should never be on the menu if you are charging me $20 extra. Then again, it may be your style.

* The ship reversed the charges after we complained.

Can anyone tell me if I can book this on formal night in Horizon Court on Star Princess for our Jan. cruise? We do not wish to partake in formal nights and this would be nice to do instead. :)

If it is offered that evening you sure can.

Unlike the specialty restaurants the Crab Shack is not offered every evening so check the patter after you board.

I know, I was referring to Trevens land based one. ;)

Probably at least $30 on land for the meal you'd get onboard ship.

There is also a Joe's Crab Shack in Ft. Lauderdale.

Been to that one several times - not the same as the casual "back porch" Joe's Crab Shacks that are a chain. The one in Ft Lauderdale is much more expensive and a totally different than the chain - not sure if they are owned by the same corp - they may be.

Oops - my bad - thinking of Joe's Stone Crab in Ft Lauderdale.

Edited by mek

Been to that one several times - not the same as the casual "back porch" Joe's Crab Shacks that are a chain. The one in Ft Lauderdale is much more expensive and a totally different than the chain - not sure if they are owned by the same corp - they may be.

Joes Stone Crab is a must do at least once just to see all the grand daughters that come to dinner with their grand fathers. ;)

The one I mentioned is in Lauderhill.

Joes Stone Crab is a must do at least once just to see all the grand daughters that come to dinner with their grand fathers. ;)

Must be the same Grandpa's who take the granddaughters to Vegas! :D

There is a Joe's Crab Shack on University Dr in Lauderhill and also on Federal highway in Fort Lauderdale.

Not to be confused with Joe's Stone Crab of South Beach

There is a Joe's Crab Shack on University Dr in Lauderhill and also on Federal highway in Fort Lauderdale.

Not to be confused with Joe's Stone Crab of South Beach

I personally think the confusion is intentional.

Look at the confusion in even this thread. What a bonus for Joe's Crab Shack.

Edited by pablo222

I personally think the confusion is intentional.

Look at the confusion in even this thread. What a bonus for Joe's Crab Shack.

Good for our economy.