Cancel the Jade or not?

jinxyoz

Hi guys and girls

When we get off the epic in July and flew home we loved our first ever cruise so much we booked on the Jade for June. It is the only ncl cruise sailing on the date we need otherwise would have booked the epic again.

The cruise is a lot dearer than the epic for a balcony which is what we want and just wondering whether we should cancel and hope for a much lower price closer to sail date. The US dollar is not in our favour at the moment and I always book via the USA site as the Aussie one is even more expensive!

My concern is that we don't want to be disappointed also with an older and smaller ship. We have only cruised once and loved it. Freestyle is perfect for us. Royal and MSC both have cruises on the date we need but they don't look anywhere as good either.

Your thoughts on both points?

Though the Jade is not as new as the Epic, I think it is surely not "old".

Personally, from everything I have read I would prefer the Jade over the Epic anyways.

As to price - they often go down, but only if sales are slow. Not sure what your rules are for cancel and rebook in Australia. Here is the states, you can cancel right up until final payment is due.

If the date is IMPORTANT, then you may want to just book it.

Edited by garycarla

Though the Jade is not as new as the Epic, I think it is surely not "old".

Personally, from everything I have read I would prefer the Jade over the Epic anyways.

As to price - they often go down, but only if sales are slow. Not sure what your rules are for cancel and rebook in Australia. Here is the states, you can cancel right up until final payment is due.

If the date is IMPORTANT, then you may want to just book it.

Yes! We go on our fourth Jade cruise in April. For us, it is the "Goldilocks" ship: not too big, not too small, but just right. It has a wonderful crew and is a well-managed ship. If we're lucky, Gary Glading, the literal World's Best Cruise Director, will be onboard. We liked the Epic but LOVE the Jade. Give the Jade a try and have a great time!

This very biased opinion based on my own experiences and preferences:

Epic and Jade are quite different, that is a fact. I prefer Jade and her sister ships, to my taste Epic was too big and crowded.

I'd suggest that you'd cruise on Jade with open mind and see what you think yourself - some people that have started cruising on megaships may think that older ships are dull but that is a decision that you need to make yourself. I haven't had a bad cruise on either ship, I just enjoy midsized ships more.

the Jade was our first ever cruise and we loved it-in fact we are sailing again on her in August

We have also sailed Epic and Breakaway and although enjoyed them we prefer the Jade and Spirit-the smaller ships just seem to make it easier to move around and more sociable in that you kept bumping into acquaintances!

Hi guys and girls

When we get off the epic in July and flew home we loved our first ever cruise so much we booked on the Jade for June. It is the only ncl cruise sailing on the date we need otherwise would have booked the epic again.

The cruise is a lot dearer than the epic for a balcony which is what we want and just wondering whether we should cancel and hope for a much lower price closer to sail date. The US dollar is not in our favour at the moment and I always book via the USA site as the Aussie one is even more expensive!

My concern is that we don't want to be disappointed also with an older and smaller ship. We have only cruised once and loved it. Freestyle is perfect for us. Royal and MSC both have cruises on the date we need but they don't look anywhere as good either.

Your thoughts on both points?

What is the RCL ship? Their cruises are mostly rated very high. Edited - I just realized you are looking at Med. cruises. I'd try the Jade.

Edited by SissasMomE

Hi Guys.

Bob and Chris from the Gold Coast, Qld.

Cruised on the Jade in the Eastern Med in May/June of 2012 and loved it. The ship is fantastic as was the staff, the food, the entertainment and the ports. Couldn't fault the cruise at all. Have also cruised on the Star and loved her equally.

Have the Spirit booked for next year, 14 nighter back in the Med and cant wait.

If you need any specific info about the Jade, please contact me, I can help you out.

Cheers Bob & Chris.

We went on our first ever cruise on the Epic last May and loved it. We then went on the Spirit (after the Epic had left the med for the season) and were really worried about it being so much smaller and older in comparison to our wonderful Epic. However, we loved the Spirit and would happily go on the Jade or the Star next. We actually preferred the variety of entertainment on the Spirit (not as "fancy" but more relaxed), and there are still loads of choice for food and different bars. In our opinion the only difference of a smaller ship is that it's less far to walk to places and the dining rooms aren't as big: the nightclub was quieter, but that was probably more to do with being off season. It isn't as "shiny new" as the Epic, but big Cruise lines don't let their decor get shabby.

We would be equally happy to go on the Jade or the Spirit as to going on the Epic or the Breakaway. You will have a great time, don't worry! :D

Never been on the Epic but have done the Breakaway and those types of ships are a different experience to the conventional design of cruise that the Jade fits albeit with the Freestyle brand.

This is a brilliant cruise ie Greece/Turkey and the Adriatic. We did it in 2004 on a Thomson's ship then sailed out of Venice with Royal in 2011 and repeated the experience on the Jade the following year. The ports are really interesting and varied, set in beautiful cruising scenery. The cruise in and out of Venice is one of those truly spectacular experiences and we love having a few nights post cruise to really feel the city.

We've been on the Jade twice and the Jewel once and there is nothing old or dated about these ships. The design is good that really works.

You will really enjoy this cruise but don't compare it with the Epic.

I'd like to give another thumbs up for the lovely Jade! :)

We sailed the Epic in August 2012 and the Jade in August 2013.

I LOVED the Epic, my DH thought it was just TOO big.....had a fab cruise though, no doubt about it!

The Jade though, just FELT different.....I find it hard to explain, but friendly and easy to get the run of.

We never saw the same people more than once or twice on the Epic ( now that can be a GOOD thing, I know ;) ) but on the Jade, we would almost always see the same faces in the same places!

The staff on both ships were fantastic, as was food and service.

Entertainment was great on the Jade but couldn't be beaten on the Epic, so each cruise had something different to offer.

I'd sail the Jade again in a heartbeat...and I LOVE HokiePoq's description of her as the * Goldilocks* ship...not too big, not too small....and I totally agree!! Give her a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed. :D

I, too, can not make an apples to apples comparison, as I have never been on the Epic, but I did just sail the Jade in November 2013. It's certainly not "worn out" - maybe the decor is more dated than that of the Epic, but it is still very beautiful & clean. In terms of balconies, I know there's a huge price jump from the oceanviews to the balconies. Because of the nature of the cruise, being so port-intensive, we were not in our cabin very much (other than to sleep). I know there are those who love their balconies for sailing into and out of ports, and I would love to have one someday. I wouldn't let that stop you from choosing an itinerary that you love. In fact, I was able to upgrade from an inside cabin to an oceanview picture window with the price drops that occurred from the time I booked (directly with NCL) up until the week before I left. Good luck with whichever you choose

Janet

Yes! We go on our fourth Jade cruise in April. For us, it is the "Goldilocks" ship: not too big, not too small, but just right. It has a wonderful crew and is a well-managed ship. If we're lucky, Gary Glading, the literal World's Best Cruise Director, will be onboard. We liked the Epic but LOVE the Jade. Give the Jade a try and have a great time!

When was the last time Gary was seen on an NCL ship?

The CD over Xmas was Jill(another brit), definitely a different vibe to the trip 2 years previously.

We were told more than once he had left NCL.

The CD over Xmas was Jill(another brit), definitely a different vibe to the trip 2 years previously.

He was onboard in July/August 2013. I didn't like him too much.

Edited by Demonyte

He was on the Jade late August 2013......I found him very entertaining to chat to, really liked him :)