Confused about carry on?

97t-bird

Ok guys I will be going on my first cruise, March 29th. It's on Explorer of the Seas, leaving from Cape liberty (7 day cruise to Bahamas).

I have been trying to figure out the best way to prepare myself and pack, I have read countless threads on here.

My issue is, I am heavily into photography and want to take my camera equipment as well as my Macbook Pro. I know we are allowed to take a carryon. Are there any stipulations to that carryon? I would ideally want to carryon my laptop and camera equipment, in separate bags. Will they allow me to do that?

The laptop would be in a bag about the size of a briefcase, and the camera bag would be a Crumpler 8 million dollar home, or a backpack style bag. Would they allow me to walk on with those things?

The other option I could do would be a small 20in hard sided upright suitcase and use that for the camera equipment, and have the laptop bag attached to handle. This would probably be easiest as it would roll along easy and I could take a change of clothes a lot easier.

Any help or opinions would be great.....

I am also thinking of getting this as my main large suitcase, for the checked bag.....Is this a standard size, I don't want any issues or surprises.

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/jsp/browse/product.jsp?fromBag=true&selectedSKUId=04752210026&commerceId=ci12351011860&selectedLotId=0475221&fromName=false&catId=Bag&quantity=1&ppId=pp5002120269

This is a link to the small suitcase:

http://www.jcpenney.com/for-the-home/luggage-backpacks/lightweight-luggage/samsonite-omnilite-hardside-spinner-upright-luggage-%25e2%2580%2593-20/prod.jump?ppId=pp5001700351&searchTerm=omnilite&catId=SearchResults&colorizedImg=DP0419201318153273C.tif

Here is the shoulder camera bag:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=606435&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Here is the camera backpack, if I go this route:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/577361-REG/Lowepro_LP35271_PEU_Flipside_400AW_Backpack_Black.html

And my laptop bag:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/kenneth-cole-reaction-colombian-leather-expandable-double-gusset-laptop-brief?ID=274150&CategoryID=40105#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D35%26ruleId%3D54%26slotId%3D10

Are there any stipulations to that carryon? I would ideally want to carryon my laptop and camera equipment, in separate bags. Will they allow me to do that?

Absolutely.

Do not even consider checking anything of value.

My rule is anything I check, I never expect to see again.

Hi-

My husband is also into photography and he puts all his equipment in a normal carryon suitcase with wheels, and keeps it with him during embarkation. That way, he can keep an eye on it at all times and it's easy to carry around the ship until the room is ready. We've been on 14 cruises and he's done it this way each time.

There are really no restrictions that I'm aware of in terms of carryons. The only thing you should be aware of is that if you get onboard before you're room is ready (typically 1 p.m., but sometimes earlier), you'll be stuck carrying it around the ship. - Diana, http://musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com

That 28" OmniLite is an enormous suitcase -- Amazon says its smallest dimension is 13.1". It is possible it may not store under the bed. In which case you will have to put it somewhere else such as "behind" your clothes in the closet or at the foot of the bed/against a wall, etc.

That 28" OmniLite is an enormous suitcase -- Amazon says its smallest dimension is 13.1". It is possible it may not store under the bed. In which case you will have to put it somewhere else such as "behind" your clothes in the closet or at the foot of the bed/against a wall, etc.

If it doesn't fit under while closed, open it up flat and slide it under. It will fit just fine.

There is always a partial wall behind the curtains that led to the balcony which makes a good hiding place for luggage that won't fit under the bed or takes up too much room in the closet. THAT IS, if he has a balcony.

I use a backpack for my camera and laptop. And in port I have a camera bag that fits my camera only, it does have pockets so I can carry some small things. I did not buy a large laptop and there is still room for other things inside. You can get these in many size for what you need. Depending on how and where you travel a lot of airlines have a weight limit for carry on, something to consider.

I purchased all 3 sizes the 28", 24", and 20". I am going to use the 20" as my carryon with the laptop bag hooked to the handle. I am going to try to use just one suitcase(maybe the 28" to be checked). As the camera equip will be in the carry on, I'll have a smaller camera bag to throw a lens or two in for when I think I'll need them, that will be flattened in the checked bag with my tripod.

There is always a partial wall behind the curtains that led to the balcony which makes a good hiding place for luggage that won't fit under the bed or takes up too much room in the closet. THAT IS, if he has a balcony.

No balcony, just got the inside room. I am not planning on being in it very much, only to sleep and shower.

If you can carry it and it fits through the scanner you can bring it on. Your potential problem will be carrying it on the plane if you have to fly. More and more airlines are getting tough on carry on. Some European carriers are down right brutal. Check with your carrier if you are flying.

Note that your room cabin might not be ready until 1pm or later, so you might have to lug the carry-on for a while after you board. If you are traveling with someone, you'll probably go the buffet for lunch first. If you room is not ready, then get a table, and you stay with the equipment while your cabin mate gets his/her food. Then he/she can stay with your equipment while you get your food. You might find Cafe Promenade (CP) simpler for lunch, especially if you have early dining. CP has pre-made sandwiches, pizza, and great desserts.

Note that some of the cruise shows, such as the ice show and production shows, have a "no photography" rule, or at least have restrictions such as "no recording" and "no flash".

Edited by Jimnbigd