Royal Caribbean is now running background checks

I think folks are confused. Royal Caribbean is not spending money to run FBI checks. They are forwarding your name and passport number to Homeland Security (or immigration) who can access this.

If you are in arrears on child support you are not allowed to have a passport, so it is likely a red flag that comes up when homeland security runs the manifest before the sail date.

This can also be triggered upon disembarkation as customs can run passports.

Even a self-paid FBI check takes 24 hours to receive back after being fingerprinted.

I am not sure about Royal Caribbean flagging sex offenders. That is public information that anyone can obtain throughout the country. You don't need to pay. Perhaps it is possible they run all names through sex offender registries in order to limit their liability? They can refuse service to whomever they want.

To be clear....Nothing stops them from asking at the gate, but the actual criminal history checks are not done by the cruise line. That is a DHS thing.

Everyone following this thread, this post is from a person that knows what he is talking about.

DHS does the checks from the passenger manifest. When they run the names, if a passenger is in any local or federal criminal database, terrorist watch list, or any court having jurisdiction has filed a warrant on a person you will be flagged and the law enforcement officials will be waiting for you at the port. There is no way with the number of ships and passengers that sail each week that a cruise line is going to take it upon themselves to do background checks at their expense. They will let the DHS do that for them for free.

Edited by Eng23

Everyone following this thread, this post is from a person that knows what he is talking about.

DHS does the checks from the passenger manifest. When they run the names, if a passenger is in any local or federal criminal database, terrorist watch list, or any court having jurisdiction has filed a warrant on a person you will be flagged and the law enforcement officials will be waiting for you at the port. There is no way with the number of ships and passengers that sail each week that a cruise line is going to take it upon themselves to do background checks at their expense. They will let the DHS do that for them for free.

Exactly! Can you imagine #1 the TIME it would take to get background checks done on thousands of passengers each week? And #2 how insanely expensive that would be?

However, is Homeland Security running a list? Count on it. We have seen people be taken into custody when returning from a cruise. And you know those people who the local police come onto a ship and to their cabin to take them off? People always wonder why...well, there you go.

If someone has a felony from 9 years ago and does declare it (not sex offender) do they have a problem

Getting on.now?. I know someone in this situation )at first I wrote in this boat which I thought would look confusing ) who recently cruised on RCCI with no problems through Europe.

There are no cases of an 18yr old dating a 17yr old and being labeled a sex offender for life. It takes more a difference than that.

I have seen and read plenty of stories like this about it happening. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it hasn't happened! The laws vary greatly from state to state. In some states there has to be a certain age difference. In other states, you can be one year apart and get labeled as a sex offender. Spend some time researching it and you'll be appalled at what you find. Here's a few I found in 2 minutes on google:

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/crime/man-must-register-lifetime-sex-offender-relations-his-now-wife

http://theexaminer.com/features/opinion/not-all-sex-offenders-created-equal

http://foolmoon.com/forums/index.php/topic/6800-overuse-of-the-term-sex-offender/

I can see how they would catch that at a border stop but I'm not sure how they'd catch it coming off a cruise ship. I don't recall anyone checking on our New England-Canada cruise. I guess there's always the possibility that if the ship is made aware they might not let you off. Maybe others had a different experience.

How naive are you?

Each and any time a ship docks at a port, the local authorities will check the passengers and crew data before Clearing the ship and allow anybody off the ship.

The ship needs to provide all the data of passengers and crew to the local authorities for ship clearance and depending on the nationality of the Person onboard and the Country they dock in providing the data in the form of a manifest / electronical file can be sufficient, or they might want to see the actual passport. Hence the reason on some Cruises the passport has to be handed over to the ship for the Duration or part of the cruise.

Anyway, if you have to do it in Person or if the ship takes care of it, there is a border control at any given port a ship docks.

Canada wont let you in if you have a DWI conviction on your record. Happened to friends of ours that we have cruised with in the past.

A friend of mine had a DUI and goes to Canada every year fishing from the US. I think he had to do some paperwork but has always gotten in.

In a month. It's really strange cause I almost always wait till last minute to do the set sail and I'm so glad I did it early this cruise. The email came like a day or two after I completed it, it's like they got the new info and they ran it immediately. The new info being they now *require* middle names when you register, when before it was optional.

The agent we talked to at Royal said it was a new policy they just started last year and they've already revised it a few times.

I am not the ex-con in question tho I think it's cute I'm already being chastised for not obeying the law. I'm so squeaky clean, I don't even get traffic tickets. The ex-con in question? Personally, I think he got shafted by the system. Laws aren't always cut and dry or applied/interpreted evenly or are fair or right. But I'm getting into an area I said I wasn't going to in my first post.

If or someone else was convicted, well there you go, it's on your record, do you know this convict in question, who you think " got shafted".....strange.....:cool::eek::cool:

It's quite cut and dry when a judge hits that gavel... either your guilty or innocent. Suck it up buttercup and stop whining about about your past catching up to you!

No! You're either guilty or not guilty. Just because you're innocent doesn't mean that you're not guilty.

Considering my husband was assaulted onboard the Carnival Dream in August, I am all for this. I'm willing to bet the group of thugs that attacked him and my 65 year old father as they played mini golf have criminal records. At least there could be a "keep an eye on" list...

Let them check I'm a school bus driver, FBI and State background checks. Than I also own a small fencing company that has a contract to repair a local air ports, so I also have a TSA pass to be unsupervised inside the security fence, FBI and Homeland Security background check. The wife has worked for our state DOT and has also been background checked with the State, FBI and Homeland Security. I'm not too worried about a cruise line checking up on me.

Considering my husband was assaulted onboard the Carnival Dream in August, I am all for this. I'm willing to bet the group of thugs that attacked him and my 65 year old father as they played mini golf have criminal records. At least there could be a "keep an eye on" list...

How awful! I hope they are ok and the thugs were thrown off the ship and are banned from cruising again.

? But the phrase is "innocent until proven guilty" not "guilty until proven innocent." I must be missing your point.

The verdict of the jury is "guilty or not guilty"' not "guilty or innocent" as stated in the post I answered. You are presumed innocent prior to the trial and the prosecution has the obligation to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Just because you are innocent, doesn't mean you will be found not guilty. Depends on many things, especially on how good your lawyer is. Conversely, even though you did it doesn't mean you will be found guilty, as a famous trial involving a dream team of lawyers and incompetent judge and prosecutors proved.

The verdict of the jury is "guilty or not guilty"' not "guilty or innocent" as stated in the post I answered. You are presumed innocent prior to the trial and the prosecution has the obligation to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Just because you are innocent, doesn't mean you will be found not guilty. Depends on many things, especially on how good your lawyer is. Conversely, even though you did it doesn't mean you will be found guilty, as a famous trial involving a dream team of lawyers and incompetent judge and prosecutors proved.

Exactly. Otherwise, Casey Anthony and OJ Simpson would be "Innocent." :rolleyes:

But the phrase is "innocent until proven guilty" not "guilty until proven innocent."

Unless it is the US government's IRS..then the opposite applies.

But the bottom line is that each person takes personal responsibility for their actions, current and past. It is their obligation to know the impact on their future actions based on their previous acitons.

Edited by TEXASMUNK

I applaud these actions. I don't want to be cruising (with my daughter, mind you) with known"sex offenders" of any kind, or any other convicted criminals deemed by the government to be unworthy of cruise passage. You commit the crime, you do the time, and you suffer the additional consequences of those crimes. Just because you've served your sentence doesn't mean society welcomes you back with open arms.