Royal Caribbean is now running background checks

I suspect that it is the Dept of Homeland Security (DHS) that is running background checks, not RCI.

In fact, DHS is probably only checking the names of cruisers against a "Watch List" of people with known background problems. If they get a match, they then run a formal background check.

Government agencies can run background checks for free. Private business have to pay a fee for a background check.

Be forewarned if you have any sort of criminal conviction or deferred adjudication on record. Royal Caribbean is running background checks on all prospective passengers and will deny boarding if one does not answer their questions or if they are not satisfied with the answers. They don't factor in if you've previously cruised with them and are an Emerald or Diamond member either.

I don't know if they're looking at all felonies/misdemeanors or mainly targeting people listed in the sex offender registry. My advice is to complete your set sail pass well in advance so you're not surprised by this a few days before your cruise. Get your attorney involved if you have one. Possibly contact RC about your background before they contact you about it to show good faith.

This is not meant for people who think registered sex offenders should never be allowed on a cruise ship. I'm aware many people are ignorant about such matters and prone to hysteria so I expect this thread to turn into a flame fest and I probably won't return to it.

I believe that this a Homeland Security requirement.

Deferred Adjudication means its not on your record, just saying

uh no. deferred just means if you keep your nose clean the punishment handed down will not be meted out. you are still guilty of the offense. it will always be on your record. ( and expunging only works so far.. the Federal government..aka TSA.. will still see it)

No, this is something they just started doing last March or April. This isn't about if someone has a warrant out or is violating their parole or probation.

they have been doing it since the 12h of September 2001. they stepped it up a few years ago when the rules about not being eligible for a passport if you are in arrears on Child support tightened up.

regardless..all actions have consequences.. even far reaching ones ten or more years down the road.

Sex offenders, regardless of when they offending, should not be on the ship. It is too big of a risk. Might they be living perfectly acceptable, socially approved lives? Maybe. Or maybe they have reoffended (reoffense is VERY high amongst sex offenders) and just have not yet been caught. Royal cannot take that risk. They would be liable if they knowingly let a sex offender onto their ship and the person reoffended onboard.

For other crimes, I think it depends. If it was truly a long time ago and you've spent your time in jail (or other requirements) and the risk to reoffend is low on the ship, then fine. If you have an active warrant, an active criminal case, etc, then no.

Particularly considering that we are cruising with our three young children, I am beyond happy to know that this is being done.

I've cruised with my kids for years and never really thought about it. I'll be cruising with my 16 year old niece soon and for some reason I've been concerned about security. This is good news to me also.

Not flaming here, but a post to WARN past offenders? Really?

Maybe by "warning" them, they wont go on a cruise in the first place.

There is nothing they can do to get past this check so I dont see this as a warning at all.

Edited by ryano

No truth to this at all. The cruise line does not do any criminal background check. sheesh:rolleyes:

I seem to remember that this was an issue when we cruised to Canada last year. We do not have records but we were told we would possibly not be admitted into Canada if we did. I didn't pay much attention to it since it didn't affect us but clearly there was some sort of background check at that time.

This is good news to me also.

Its great news but no way would I get a false sense of security. Im in no way implying that you are but bad things can and will still happen on cruise ships, background checks or not.

I seem to remember that this was an issue when we cruised to Canada last year. We do not have records but we were told we would possibly not be admitted into Canada if we did. I didn't pay much attention to it since it didn't affect us but clearly there was some sort of background check at that time.

That is Canada. That really has nothing to do with RCI. Thats just the way Canada is. Ive known a person or two that has been denied entry into Canada over a 25 year old DUI.

They dont play.

That is Canada. That really has nothing to do with RCI. Thats just the way Canada is. Ive known a person or two that has been denied entry into Canada over a 25 year old DUI.

They dont play.

So, if we had criminal records, it is possible that we would not have been permitted to board the ship in Boston? Or would we just not have been permitted to get off in Canadian port?

It's quite cut and dry when a judge hits that gavel... either your guilty or innocent. Suck it up buttercup and stop whining about about your past catching up to you!

Are you actually reading his posts? He just said that he isn't the guilty party but someone else.

I'm glad Royal Caribbean is following guidelines and doing these checks. I agree that the checks are mandatory and standard practice per Dept of Homeland Security, not Royal Caribbean.

And if urinating in public puts you on the sex offender list, then don't urinate in public if you don't want to be on that list!

Nothing new about this. Every passengers name is screened and turned over to gov't officials prior to embarkation. Soo if you have a warrant, have a nasty felony record, or are a registered sex offender most likely not a good idea to cruise...

And a great policy too imo!

Even if you did somehow slip through the checks before getting on to the ship, you usually dock back at the same port. I'm sure the cops are often there waiting to pull a few bad apples off the ship upon return to its US Port.

So, if we had criminal records, it is possible that we would not have been permitted to board the ship in Boston? Or would we just not have been permitted to get off in Canadian port?

I believe you just wouldnt have been able to get off in the Canadian port :) That would largely depend on what the offense is I guess though.

I do know that old DUIs have been the cause of denied entry and so has many other offenses that the US doesnt really consider "criminal".

Canada wont let you in if you have a DWI conviction on your record. Happened to friends of ours that we have cruised with in the past.

Canada wont let you in if you have a DWI conviction on your record. Happened to friends of ours that we have cruised with in the past.

I can see how they would catch that at a border stop but I'm not sure how they'd catch it coming off a cruise ship. I don't recall anyone checking on our New England-Canada cruise. I guess there's always the possibility that if the ship is made aware they might not let you off. Maybe others had a different experience.

You can be a criminal and get into Mexico. Mexico does not have access to your FBI record. The ONLY country that the USA shares FBI information with is Canada (they have a reciprocal agreement).

Regarding cruising with stops in Canada. The ship has to give the manifest with passport numbers to Canada customs before the ship stops there. I have read conflicting reports:

a) That you will not be allowed to board the ship if it has a Canadian stop and the Canadians flag you

b) That you may be refused exit at the port. If it is your disembarkation point then there are sometimes secured buses that take you directly to the airport (this is the case in Vancouver) past customs.

How do I know this? I am Canadian and my US husband has a criminal record (from over 20 years ago; not sexually related). We go back and forth all the time, but always visiting family. They see his record, but let us in (I think it is due to me traveling with him and only being family visits). I have not chanced a "tourism" visit.

You can pay $40 to receive your FBI background check. If there is something on there then it is guaranteed that the Canadians can see it too.

There is a program where you can pay approximately $600-1000 and receive a lifetime waiver from the Canadians to get into the country. There is also an "unofficial" one time $250 entry fee that is at the discretion of the customs official (although you may be able to push it up the chain).

My BIL was recently denied entry for a 20+ year old domestic violence charge and DUIs are also grounds for inadmissability into Canada.

My husband and I have traveled all over the world and he has never been denied entry because only Canada sees the FBI record.