Drink Kefir before and during the cruise

travelplus

In the weeks before my cruise I drink Kefir as the Probiotics help to boost my immune system. I wonder if Royal Caribbean and other cruiselines could serve the delicious Kefir onboard during breakfast and people would drink the Kefir it could help prevent against the Norovirus. People drink Kefir for Colitis and other GI issues such as IBS.

Perhaps Kefir could be the "Anti Noro Natural Cure".

In the weeks before my cruise I drink Kefir as the Probiotics help to boost my immune system. I wonder if Royal Caribbean and other cruiselines could serve the delicious Kefir onboard during breakfast and people would drink the Kefir it could help prevent against the Norovirus. People drink Kefir for Colitis and other GI issues such as IBS.

Never heard of this but will definitely look into it. Thanks for the info.

I've read something similar about 100% grape juice.

http://musthavemom.com/2012/01/stomp-out-stomach-flu-with-grape-juice.html

My mom used ot make her own grape juice- 100% pure cooked right out of the grapes.

I tell ya'... you drink 8 oz of that, and you better be near a facility with a deep bowl. Unless, of course, your system is already tuned to that sort of influx of nature's own draino.

People drink Kefir for Colitis and other GI issues such as IBS.

I've read something similar about 100% grape juice. http://musthavemom.com/2012/01/stomp-out-stomach-flu-with-grape-juice.html

Norovirus is not a stomach flu, nor is it IBS. Probiotics will do little against a virus.

Norovirus is not a stomach flu, nor is it IBS. Probiotics will do little against a virus.

Doing little is better than nothing taking probiotics potassium b's and c's can't hurt at least replace what's lost

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just heard about Kefir last week from a co-worker! I am definitely going to try this for myself and my children before we sail!!

Google it first, I just did and almost lost my lunch.

It seems like BS anyway, the only few referenced studies I looked up were in rats.

Edited by DrD

Good luck. I always seem to catch a cold on my way to the cruiseport on the airplane. This last time, I was determined not to. For 2 weeks prior to the cruise, I loaded up on an immune system booster pill, extra Vit. C, Airborne.

Two days before the cruise, a little girl decided to cough all over my arm at DisneyWorld. Yup, 3 days later, BOOM.

Edited by Sandy Sails

I just finished looking the stuff up and ALL of the dot coms were holistic advocates who said it had "studies to back it up" and then failed to produce any studies (I couldn't find any either)...IMO this is just one of those fads like the cold preventative Airborne which has been proven by REAL studies such as Johns Hopkins and the Mayo to be a bunch of Cr-p.

But different strokes for different folks. :rolleyes:

My mom used ot make her own grape juice- 100% pure cooked right out of the grapes.

I tell ya'... you drink 8 oz of that, and you better be near a facility with a deep bowl. Unless, of course, your system is already tuned to that sort of influx of nature's own draino.

Too funny!:D:D:D

I'll take it one step past tasting like buttermilk....it tastes more like really tart, really sour buttermilk. Having said that I regularly drink it post workout and it works like a charm. Loads of healthy probiotics, protein, relatively low carb, calcium, magnesium and B-vitamins.

The only way you'll be able to get the masses to consume it though is if you load it with sugar and salt, bread and deep fry it, and then smother in cheese.

OMG I can't stop laughing. You made m night.

Keep a rock in my right pocket to protect me from Noro. It has worked on every cruise.

Lots of people take probiotics to strengthen their immune system, although it's not clear whether bacteria in the gut can kill off viruses. In any case, it's up to the individual whether they want to take probiotics or not.

Ketones can also kill viruses and bacteria, so people on ketogenic diets generally don't get sick as often.