Giovanni's with an infant

clonegirl

I'm thinking about booking Giovanni's on Allure right after boarding. My husband and I will be traveling with our 4 kids (ages infant - 9) and I thought that may be a great way (and more relaxing) to start out the trip vs. fighting the crowds at Park Cafe and Windjammer with the kids. If I pre-book for my infant, the system charges him also. Since he's not eating any table foods yet, I was hoping he could come with us without paying.

If we book for 5 people, do you foresee there being a problem with space for him to sit in a highchair at the table with us or in a small stroller next to me? I wasn't sure how tightly the tables are packed in there. Thanks!

I'm thinking about booking Giovanni's on Allure right after boarding. My husband and I will be traveling with our 4 kids (ages infant - 9) and I thought that may be a great way (and more relaxing) to start out the trip vs. fighting the crowds at Park Cafe and Windjammer with the kids. If I pre-book for my infant, the system charges him also. Since he's not eating any table foods yet, I was hoping he could come with us without paying.

If we book for 5 people, do you foresee there being a problem with space for him to sit in a highchair at the table with us or in a small stroller next to me? I wasn't sure how tightly the tables are packed in there. Thanks!

We have been on the Allure a few times. Giovanni's was packed with B2Ber's as the Allure gives them a complimentary lunch there. Not all the time, depending on how many there are. So you cannot count on it being quiet and relaxing. Even the seating on the outside is taken over by the crowd from Park Café.

If you want a quiet lunch head up to the Wipe Out Café. It is mainly hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, soups salads and such. Not what you would get in Giovanni's. It will be quiet and free.

We ate there last May and I was trying to see if I had any good pictures showing the spacing but this is the best I could find. It was a tight fit but I would think if your chair/stroller got as close to the table as the rest of the chairs you should be alright.

12212567403_20525e021e_c.jpg

Edited by PCWalton1

Buffet in Solarium also an option - good food!

I sat the kids at deck chairs by the kids pool and we got plates of food from the Solarium and shared - very quiet, and the kids got to use the childrens water area before anyone arrived - they had a ball!

Kids Pool was never so quiet again all week!

Better than making them sit quietly when they are excited to start their vacation!

Too bad the MDR wasn't open on embarkation day like on NCL. That would be an ideal spot for a family with some young kids in tow.

Giovanni's has excellent food but I would not take children there. It is dark, seats are close together & service is leisurely. These are all good things btw :D. I would not say the food is really child-friendly unless they have more "grownup" tastes. It's a lot of money to pay for a half-eaten plate of spaghetti. Go to Johnny Rockets.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Unless you are planning on holding the child in your lap the entire time, I would not book four and then show up with five hoping for a high chair. Chances are, they will be seating you in a spot for four, not five. Then you will be leaving the staff to scramble to either find a more appropriate spot, or shoehorn five into a space for four. The latter will not make their jobs any easier, and will likely be a nuisance to whomever is crowded in next to you. Just kind of inconsiderate.

Instead, I would book for five, and then explain when you get there one is an infant. If they won't adjust the charge, I'm sure you can get it done at the service desk at some point during the week. If not, consider the $10 the (very modest) cost of having a very lovely way to kick off your trip!

Giovanni's has excellent food but I would not take children there. It is dark, seats are close together & service is leisurely. These are all good things btw :D. I would not say the food is really child-friendly unless they have more "grownup" tastes. It's a lot of money to pay for a half-eaten plate of spaghetti. Go to Johnny Rockets.

JR's is not open for lunch on embarkation day.

JR isn't open for lunch on embarkation day.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I think we may forgo Giovanni's and try one of the other recommendations. After thinking about it, the kids are going to be too excited and giddy to sit through a sit-down meal for that long. They're usually great at restaurants but will be excited to explore the ship, ride the carousel, sign up for kids program, etc. I don't want to feel like we're rushing to get through a three course meal that we paid extra for.

It should not be a problem. Good choice.

The dog house is open too; a good free venue for grab and go. It's not a full meal but it may hold a bunch of excited kids over for a bit so you don't have to fight crowds. I don't remember if the wipe out cafe is open on embarkation day; if it is that's worth a shot too. Solarium bistro for a healthier alternative. Most people seem to flock to WJ or Park Cafe. Go where the crowds aren't. Cafe Promenade for finger sandwiches and kid treats.

I don't remember if sorrentos is open; if it is you can sit at a table and have reasonably decent pizza.

All of these are free suggestions; but if sorrentos and cafe promenade are open they may be busy.

Edited by LMaxwell

Honestly, everything is a bit hectic the first day. Folks are excited, don’t know their way around, are burdened with carry-ons, may be tired from travel etc. We do find that the buffet really clears out when the cabins are opened.

Good luck and enjoy

m