Sold Out Cruise

dizneefreak28

We are cruising on the Ruby Princess February 6th. Booked a GTY (not picky about cabins) and still don't have a room assignment. When I called to inquire, they said it was a sold out ship and we hadn't been assigned a room yet. Anyone have experience with a sold out cruise? Did you notice longer lines? Seem to crowded? Just curious! Even a busy cruise is better than not being on one! :)

We are cruising on the Ruby Princess February 6th. Booked a GTY (not picky about cabins) and still don't have a room assignment. When I called to inquire, they said it was a sold out ship and we hadn't been assigned a room yet. Anyone have experience with a sold out cruise? Did you notice longer lines? Seem to crowded? Just curious! Even a busy cruise is better than not being on one! :)

Been on 2 sold out cruises this year on Ruby, never had a problem with lines except for Future Cruise lady. Just impossible unless you had a lot of spare time to hang around waiting.

And if there are a lot of Platinum/Elite with 150 free minutes the internet crashes completely or slows to being virtually unusable most of the time - I found it OK at 6am or so most days.

Princess need to upgrade their internet like Carnival have done on Breeze.

And with many Platinum/Elite passengers the Skywalkers lounge is overcrowded and not a pleasant relaxing place 5pm onwards, although some have reported that it becomes less busy later on, I don't know as I never went back, although the view is the best from there I found a nice quiet lounge which is open to all but is way nicer and quieter.

Edited by Griller

The cruises I have been on usually sell out, but it is usually not a problem except in the buffet for breakfast on a port day. It is hard to find a table.

If you will pardon me for mentioning that according to your cruise history on your posts you have not cruised Princess since 2007, and a lot has changed on Princess in 7 years.

While - without wishing to blow my own trumpet too hard - I have been on 3 Princess cruises this year - 2014 - on the particular ship in question.

It is however true that finding a table at breakfast any day could be a problem if you wished to sit on your own at a table, and also within sight of the buffet line. There seemed to ba plenty of shared tables further away though even if you went at a busy time.

Edited by Griller

Just like the airlines, cruise lines typical oversell their cruises because people do cancel for many reason...medical, emergency, etc. right up to departure and they want every cabin full. As people cancel cabins become available and you will be assign one. Most all cruises go out full. February is high peak Caribbean season. Some off peak or repositioning cruise or more exotic cruises may go with some more empty cabins, but those are the exception. If the cruise is oversold and not enough people cancel by departure then the cruise line will buy off passenger to either other ships or other sailing dates with deals like refunds and/or onboard credit, cabin upgrade, etc. No one will be force off a cruise if they are fully booked and paid. You might be offered a moveover deal, but you can refuse it. They always can find takers for the right price. Remember, with a GTY cabin you may not find your actual cabin assignment until you arrive at the pier. Trust me...you have nothing to worry about.

Wow ~ they must sell out at the last minute as I am looking at a cruise in mid-April that is wide open! Never booked GTY as I like to know where my cabin will be but sure you will be fine if you don't care about cabin location. Enjoy!

Just booked Ruby 5 day from 10th Feb for $199 when I got a standby special offer from Princess.

Previous weeks this January on that ship were the free cruises so they sold out but now they're not free maybe Princess are struggling on that ship to sell cabins, peak season or not.

Just did a b2b on the ruby and both were sold out. We had a gty on our first sailing and a booked cabin on the 2nd. we were finally assigned a cabin 3-4 days prior to sailing. We were told at the time that it also would not have been unusual to find out our assignment at the pier the day of sailing.

The Ruby was a pleasure even sold out. It never seemed over crowded to us at all. We did anytime dining and ate late but I did notice lines and pagers for those that chose to eat around 6P.

Have a wonderful vacation! :)

Congrats on the upgrade - just read that!

Edited by marazad16

Well they just posted my stateroom on-line. I got upgrades to an obstructed ocean view, E220. Kind of excited about that! Anyone have experience with an obstructed view room?

We have had several obstructed view rooms with Princess. My husband likes the light and the room is bigger than most insides. Enjoy the room.:)

Well they just posted my stateroom on-line. I got upgrades to an obstructed ocean view, E220. Kind of excited about that! Anyone have experience with an obstructed view room?

We have purposely put ourselves in obstructed view cabins (E414 and 416 on three Transatlantic cruises). Some are better than others because some (mostly in the 500's) are smaller and some ( in the 500's and 600's) have the huge tenders outside the window. Go to the following website to see photos that show the view from inside every obstructed view cabin on every Princess ship. http://https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/ E220 is pretty good. You'll be between two midsized lifeboats that have a big gap between them, and you'll have a view over the front and top of one of them. I think you'll be happy with the cabin. We love Emerald deck.

Edited by tothemall&beyond

I agree. It is rare for a Princess cruise to not be sold out. Mike:)

Just to make you worry some more about not knowing where your cabin will be let me say that it's not unusual for Princess to overbook a cruise. They handle that just like the airlines by trying to bribe you with money so that you will cancel and take another cruise.

I had an obstructed view cabin on the Diamond, E216, and the life boat obstructed only the lower quarter of the window. It didn't bother me at all and I just thought of it as a smaller window. Sailing past the Sydney Opera House was still a spectacular sight. The web site referenced above is excellent for seeing how obstructed your view will be. Just picked E318 on the Grand for my next cruise, based the photo on the web site.

Edited by rpcv77

• 4 months later...
I had an obstructed view cabin on the Diamond, E216, and the life boat obstructed only the lower quarter of the window. It didn't bother me at all and I just thought of it as a smaller window. Sailing past the Sydney Opera House was still a spectacular sight. The web site referenced above is excellent for seeing how obstructed your view will be. Just picked E318 on the Grand for my next cruise, based the photo on the web site.

I have just been assigned E318 on the Golden Princess, but the cabin placements on the referenced photo website do not seem to line up with the cabin locations on the deck plans on the Princess web site. The cabin numbers seem to have changed.

Can anyone tell me if cabins E310 and E316 do NOT exist on the Golden Princess? That would mean that E318 is behind the center of the tender, and not in between the tenders, as is shown on the photos.

Also, does anyone know how large the E318 cabin would be?

I would appreciate any help that anyone can offer. :)

I have just been assigned E318 on the Golden Princess, but the cabin placements on the referenced photo website do not seem to line up with the cabin locations on the deck plans on the Princess web site. The cabin numbers seem to have changed.

Can anyone tell me if cabins E310 and E316 do NOT exist on the Golden Princess? That would mean that E318 is behind the center of the tender, and not in between the tenders, as is shown on the photos.

Also, does anyone know how large the E318 cabin would be?

I would appreciate any help that anyone can offer. :)

Here's the link you want: http://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=NP

E310 and E316 are interior cabins, across the hall and just forward from yours. E318 is as you say, just behind the center of a tender. It is advertised as approximately 168 square feet.

Here's the link you want: http://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=NP

E310 and E316 are interior cabins, across the hall and just forward from yours. E318 is as you say, just behind the center of a tender. It is advertised as approximately 168 square feet.

Thanks very much for your help.

Sorry, I meant to say "do not exist as Oceanview cabins" on the Golden Princess. On the obstructed photo website, E310 and E316 are Oceanview cabins. Have those cabins been renumbered fairly recently? The German TA website that I use to see available inventory also has E310 and E316 as Oceanview cabins.

I just noticed that E608 has become available. Is that a better location? It appears to be obstructed by the front end of a tender, instead of the middle.

I have no experience with Oceanview cabins, and very little experience with Princess.

Thanks. :)