Getaway pics & thoughts - food, menus, Haven, entertainment, etc.

AttilaTheFun

2-Bedroom Family Villa with Balcony (Category S4)

IMG_3803.JPG

IMG_3804.JPG

This bedroom has no windows and would be pretty small once the couch is turned into a bed, but has a full, standard bath attached (very similar to one in a non-suite stateroom)

IMG_3805.JPG

IMG_3807.JPG

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3809.JPG

Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony (Category S5)

Apologies, only took one picture of this type of stateroom, for some reason.

IMG_3802.JPG

Spa Suite with Balcony (Category S9)

I completely missed the Aft-Facing Penthouse with Balcony (Category S6) and Forward-Facing Penthouse with Balcony (Category S7), but did get a few pictures of the Spa Suite with Balcony, which includes access to the Thermal Spa Suite.

IMG_3829.JPG

IMG_3830.JPG

IMG_3831.JPG

IMG_3832.JPG

Wrap-Up

Well, that's about it folks! There are a few more photos I want to share below, but those are the highlights of the Getaway, for me at least! I hope Miami and future cruisers enjoy the Getaway as much as we did and feel free to ask questions. I may not know the answer, but someone on here likely does.

Don't miss this ship model of the Getaway, located aft on Deck 6 past Taste/Savor dining rooms

EA2sWvxJvG5yTLX5YLoorRlwKf8HcHUwxlSEOhFL7Hdx=w1195-h896-no

IMG_3843.JPG

The level of detail is incredible - including mini deck loungers!

IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3844.JPG

And finally... sailing back into the greatest city in the world (even if there are ice chunks in the Hudson!)

IMG_3963.JPG

IMG_3967.JPG

Flamingo Bar & Grill

The Uptown Grill on Breakaway has been transformed into Flamingo Bar & Grill on Breakaway - a semi-outdoor grab-and-go counter near Spice H20. We were very impressed by the Cuban/Latin-inspired food offered at this venue, which is all complimentary.

Apologies, but I didn't get pictures of the actual venue, since it was too cold outside and Norwegian served the food in the buffet instead - something that won't need to happen once they get to Miami!

Flamingo Menu

yc78dqGBWshbft8tf3s7Fopq4O1QKwV9DiYnDRPZWbLj=w672-h896-no

Sandwich options

IMG_3855.JPG

EXCELLENT stuffed potato balls and chicken croquettes

IMG_3856.JPG

Other food options

IMG_3857.JPG

IMG_3859.JPG

AMAZING tres leches cake and "meh" caramel custard

IMG_3875.JPG

Omg, I cannot wait...

I will be eating here daily.

Note to self--lose 10 pounds by October!

YUM!

WOW

This is what I have been waiting for. Excellent pictures and review! Love the new menu changes. Everything looks great and I am rethinking the unlimited specialty restaurant option now. I saw several things that peaked my interest.

Thank you so much. I don't cruise for a year but you have really jump started my excitement. Keep it coming!!!!

P.S.

Thank you NCL for changing up the menus. The menu options are not just different. They are packed with several very delicious options.

Way to go!!!!!!

I agree, David. I think we are going to forego the UDP as well. This looks really good!!

Wrap-Up

Well, that's about it folks! There are a few more photos I want to share below, but those are the highlights of the Getaway, for me at least! I hope Miami and future cruisers enjoy the Getaway as much as we did and feel free to ask questions. I may not know the answer, but someone on here likely does.

Don't miss this ship model of the Getaway, located aft on Deck 6 past Taste/Savor dining rooms

The level of detail is incredible - including mini deck loungers!

IMG_3842.JPG

wow - look at the tiny towels on the deck loungers! Little model chair hogs! LMAO kidding....The model is spectacular!

Your pics were awesome - thank you SO much for sharing! I can't wait!

wow - look at the tiny towels on the deck loungers! Little model chair hogs! LMAO kidding....The model is spectacular!

Your pics were awesome - thank you SO much for sharing! I can't wait!

Thank you, but you bring up a good point - Norwegian execs said they are aware of the complaints about lack of available deck chairs. They strongly believe they have enough chairs onboard, but the real issue is passengers who reserve seats for extended periods without using them (aka chair hogs). They said a team is working on the issue, so hopefully we'll see some changes one day!

perhaps because Rock of Ages proved so controversial on breakaway they decided to "play it safe"

personally loved the Rock of ages show in London and the film[although a completely different slant] and was a factor in choosing breakaway this year

We saw it in Vegas - had seen the film too - and were really looking forward to seeing it on the Breakaway.

We were really surprised to find that in the Breakaway show they were really playing up the sexual content much more than the film or stage show we saw. :eek: Especially due to the "family entertainment" aspect of a cruise ship. :o

Disappointing....because there is so much more to that show. :cool:

Hello, thank you for posting the pictures- especially the menus and the flamingo grill one as well.

I actually might prefer the NY food on the uptown grill at the Breakaway a little more , but its good to see they are switching up the MDR.

I saw Rock Of Ages touring here in Phila, the movie, and didn't care much for the plot (although I like the music) but would say the Breakaway version was better than what I saw here.

However, I thought BMG and Legends on the Epic were superior.

For Legally Blonde, I listened to some of the movie soundtrack and then some of the broadway soundtrack samples on Amazon. Are they completely different?

Also, do you happen to know how Wine Lovers was?

I am still deciding whether to do the Getaway for the different entertainment in October, but in the end might just do the Breakaway because it is closer.

I figure if I went again I would skip Cirque, and ROA.

I actually might prefer the NY food on the uptown grill at the Breakaway a little more , but its good to see they are switching up the MDR.

I am going to miss the waffle fries at Uptown Grill!

For Legally Blonde, I listened to some of the movie soundtrack and then some of the broadway soundtrack samples on Amazon. Are they completely different?

Yes, they are different. The plot and characters are the same but the songs in the musical were written specifically for the musical.

MTV filmed Legally Blonde on Broadway and the full video is on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I am going to miss the waffle fries at Uptown Grill!

Yes, they are different. The plot and characters are the same but the songs in the musical were written specifically for the musical.

MTV filmed Legally Blonde on Broadway and the full video is on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

The new lunch menu in the MDR has waffle fries!

It looks like Norwegian is using a modified version of the Legally Blonde musical, based on that video. They definitely cut a few songs, scenes, and characters. Even with that content, I don't think it's a very good musical.

Does anyone have pictures of the menus of O'Sheehan's available to post?

Would appreciate pictures of menus at any of the Getaway restaurants.

Thanks in advance!

Menus posted at both links below (from Breakaway, but most menus are fleetwide):

http://www.beyondships2.com/norwegian-breakaway-menus.html

http://cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-menu/

Most should be valid still, but keep in mind the MDR menus are all being updated.

Edited by AttilaTheFun

Menus posted at both links below (from Breakaway, but most menus are fleetwide):

Most should be valid still, but keep in mind the MDR menus are all being updated.

Thanks for the extensive info and photos! Just got off Breakaway where we had a chance to sample 12 nights of new menus plus the two new lunch menus which will rotate somehow even on the 7 nighters.

Many many Norwegian cruises under our belt and we were very impressed and happy with the new menus. The surf & turf is back on the first night (we went to the Cirque Jungle dinner/show though). In the DR's, had some excellent duck, lamb shank, short ribs, many grilled fish on the chef's specials, herb-crusted lamb chops, even chateaubriand (which came with the last dinner so probably not on the shorter cruises). Big upgrade in quality even with the starters and desserts as well. The Fleetwide Exec. Chef was onboard as they work on the new menus.

Like you said, the menus from those links are outdated for Breakaway but may still be in use on other ships for a little while longer. Plan is for Breakaway and Getaway to have them first while they're still fine tuning and then roll out fleetwide. We gave a lot of feedback which was very well received. One entree (chicken cordon bleu) we found overly breaded and in an odd orange sauce.

Lunch menus were really good, too. Fried calamari just about the best we've ever had! Another interesting starter on one of the two menus we had over the course of the cruise was scallops done in the ramekins with garlic (like they do the escargots). DH liked the caesar salad with grilled shrimp and they had little white anchovies sometimes for the caesar salad which were different and tasty.

Also on Breakaway they separated out the "always available" on the written menu while the ones you posted on Getaway had them altogether in a long list. So maybe even menu presentation is being "tested."

Another significant change is there are quite a few differences between what's being served in the aft DR (Manhattan Room) and Savor & Taste (which serve the same menus). Prior to the new menu changes there were a few subtle differences but now it's much more noticeable with one DR offering an entree or two that are not repeated elsewhere.

So definitely check out both menus as there's more variety now. Wish they would put up a little card announcing the daily special but instead it just says ask your server what the chef has prepared that day. One time it was grilled swordfish, another time corvina.

Edited by snorklin'barb

So definitely check out both menus as there's more variety now. Wish they would put up a little card announcing the daily special but instead it just says ask your server what the chef has prepared that day. One time it was grilled swordfish' date=' another time corvina.[/quote']

No kidding! Without something telling us what the daily specials are, it makes it that much more difficult to make a dinner decision.

Thanks for the great photos and the new menu info. We will be on the Breakaway in 2 weeks. We were on the jewel last year and had a wonderful fun cruise. Cant wait to get away from this cold snowy weather her in northeast.

Marianne

Thanks for the extensive info and photos! Just got off Breakaway where we had a chance to sample 12 nights of new menus plus the two new lunch menus which will rotate somehow even on the 7 nighters.

Many many Norwegian cruises under our belt and we were very impressed and happy with the new menus. The surf & turf is back on the first night (we went to the Cirque Jungle dinner/show though). In the DR's' date=' had some excellent duck, lamb shank, short ribs, many grilled fish on the chef's specials, herb-crusted lamb chops, even chateaubriand (which came with the last dinner so probably not on the shorter cruises). Big upgrade in quality even with the starters and desserts as well. The Fleetwide Exec. Chef was onboard as they work on the new menus.

Like you said, the menus from those links are outdated for Breakaway but may still be in use on other ships for a little while longer. Plan is for Breakaway and Getaway to have them first while they're still fine tuning and then roll out fleetwide. We gave a lot of feedback which was very well received. One entree (chicken cordon bleu) we found overly breaded and in an odd orange sauce.

Lunch menus were really good, too. Fried calamari just about the best we've ever had! Another interesting starter on one of the two menus we had over the course of the cruise was scallops done in the ramekins with garlic (like they do the escargots). DH liked the caesar salad with grilled shrimp and they had little white anchovies sometimes for the caesar salad which were different and tasty.

Also on Breakaway they separated out the "always available" on the written menu while the ones you posted on Getaway had them altogether in a long list. So maybe even menu presentation is being "tested."

Another significant change is there are quite a few differences between what's being served in the aft DR (Manhattan Room) and Savor & Taste (which serve the same menus). Prior to the new menu changes there were a few subtle differences but now it's much more noticeable with one DR offering an entree or two that are not repeated elsewhere.

So definitely check out both menus as there's more variety now. Wish they would put up a little card announcing the daily special but instead it just says ask your server what the chef has prepared that day. One time it was grilled swordfish, another time corvina.[/quote']

Thank you so much for the great information AttilaTheFun & snorklin'barb . Looks like there are some great choices. These message boards are great. I appreciate all of your comments and advice.