Going to miss cruise?

bubbadogmom

We are supposed to be leaving on the Carnival Conquest today. I am a OCD planner but even I missed this and now I'm a little concerned. We are at the Hampton Inn Brickell - thought it would be nice to stay downtown. Had NO IDEA about the Miami Marathon. By the time I found out it was too late to cancel my reservation. We managed to get on a shuttle ( maybe). We are on the list but they have cancelled the 10,11, and 12 shuttle so we are on the 100. I know the roads reopen partially but there are going to be delays. I'm honestly concerned about making it. I know the ship waits for no one but ouch - I tried to pre plan everything. There don't seem to be any other options. Taxi will be worse - stuck in traffic WITH the meter running, and we can't take the Metromover - my mom is 74 and I can't carry her luggage and mine :(

So frustrated......

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Time to start walking! :eek:

Seriously, don't wait around for a shuttle that may be cancelled. Get moving NOW and secure an alternate means of transportation. Even if it's a costly taxi cab through traffic with a meter running, it's STILL going to be a lot cheaper than missing the cruise altogether! They will get you there! This is NOT the time to try to save a few bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

That's a pretty popular hotel and area for people to stay in when sailing out of MIA. I would imagine that you are only one among the many. I would def --as the others have suggested -- call Carnival and let them know. It may be a case where there are several other families/passengers that are in the same predicament. Maybe if Carnival is aware of the situation they may make an exception. That could be wishful thinking on my part but I am sending POSITIVE vibes your way. Just do your best and try not to stress out.

I would definitely call a taxi and not wait for a 1:00 shuttle that may not show up. If it does, that's not leaving you alot of time anyway. Seems like the front desk would be able to help you since this couldn't be the first time a cruiser is in a dilemma over events causing delays. Good luck. You will get there.

Can you walk out of the high traffic area and catch a cab there? The race map should be online.

Also seconding the suggestions of calling Carnival.

Good luck, hope you make it!

Map is here.

http://cbsmiami.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/map.jpg

Keep in mind it started at 6:15 so parts of the route may be clear earlier than others. I don't know where you are but I'd be talking to someone who knows the area.

Also

Sunday morning there will be lane reductions going east on the MacArthur Causeway from 6:15-8:15 a.m. and on the Venetian Causeway going westbound from 6:45 a.m. until 9:30p.m.

Starting at 6:30 a.m., drivers on N Miami Avenue between 15th and Flagler Street could experience delays until 10:30 a.m. due to lane closures.

All traffic on S. Miami Avenue between SW 15th and SW 32nd could experience delays from 6:35 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. and on S. Bayshore Dr., between MCFarlane and HaLasee St., from 7:00 a.m. until noon.

ETA - unfortunately now I see you are near the finish line.

Edited by 1kaper

Grab a taxi...if they're running....Like Tapi said...no time for being frugal...Last May we stayed at the same hotel for a Breeze cruise. We called a cab...enroute to the POM, we had to wait for a boat to pass...so of course a drawbridge went up...seemed we waited almost 10 minutes...with meter running...cab fare was still only something like $15....grab a cab.

Grab a taxi...if they're running....Like Tapi said...no time for being frugal...Last May we stayed at the same hotel for a Breeze cruise. We called a cab...enroute to the POM, we had to wait for a boat to pass...so of course a drawbridge went up...seemed we waited almost 10 minutes...with meter running...cab fare was still only something like $15....grab a cab.

After looking at the maps, I definitely agree this is probably your best course of action.

When we went this summer, it was impossible to get to the port because of the Miami Heat's victory parade :rolleyes:...but Carnival ended up postponing the time the ship left by about 2 hours to accommodate those who were delayed. So definitely call them before panicking.

I appreciate all the replies. If I thought we would be successful I would take a Taxi but from my understanding is that the streets are closed. I just spoke with someone who arrived and they said it was chaos with taxis and yelling. Its not about the $$ and saving a buck, not at all - I just honestly dont believe we will be sucessful getting there. Maybe I'm wrong and you can all say "I told you so", but I have a feeling that a random taxi pulling up to a cop at a traffic point will get ignored completely - EVERYONE always has a reason why "they" just have to get through.

But - a commercial carrier with 20 people all going to the Cruise Port - it just might bear a little more legitimacy. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

And I did call Carnival. I might as well of picked up a tin can and called my mom at the pool, for such a hugely publicized event with massive traffic implications for travel to and from the port, I would have thought that at least their staff would be aware. She said - "there's a what? A car race?". No clue. I realize she isn't likely local - but I expected better from Carnival Corp.

If you don't hear from me, then we made it :-) If you do - looks like the Hampton might be keeping us for a while!

Can you walk out of the high traffic area and catch a cab there? The race map should be online.

Also seconding the suggestions of calling Carnival.

Good luck, hope you make it!

Map is here.

http://cbsmiami.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/map.jpg

Keep in mind it started at 6:15 so parts of the route may be clear earlier than others. I don't know where you are but I'd be talking to someone who knows the area.

Also

Sunday morning there will be lane reductions going east on the MacArthur Causeway from 6:15-8:15 a.m. and on the Venetian Causeway going westbound from 6:45 a.m. until 9:30p.m.

Starting at 6:30 a.m., drivers on N Miami Avenue between 15th and Flagler Street could experience delays until 10:30 a.m. due to lane closures.

All traffic on S. Miami Avenue between SW 15th and SW 32nd could experience delays from 6:35 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. and on S. Bayshore Dr., between MCFarlane and HaLasee St., from 7:00 a.m. until noon.

ETA - unfortunately now I see you are near the finish line.

WOW...way to go above and beyond to help a fellow cruiser! :D

Its not about the $$ and saving a buck, not at all - I just honestly dont believe we will be sucessful getting there. Maybe I'm wrong and you can all say "I told you so", but I have a feeling that a random taxi pulling up to a cop at a traffic point will get ignored completely - EVERYONE always has a reason why "they" just have to get through.

!

If the extra $$ aren't a problem, change hotels. Move from the one you are in and find one where traffic won't be an issue. The Hampton Inn can't force you to stay -- you may have booked a nonrefundable room and lose that money but they can't make you stay.

or

Go really early and hang out -- yes I know how early a marathon starts but this is an option.

BTW -- I am your mother's age and could easily carry my luggage and probably another persons, depending on how much they had. I hope you aren't basing her abilities on age alone.

Edited by snowskier

If the extra $$ aren't a problem, change hotels. Move from the one you are in and find one where traffic won't be an issue. The Hampton Inn can't force you to stay -- you may have booked a nonrefundable room and lose that money but they can't make you stay.

or

Go really early and hang out -- yes I know how early a marathon starts but this is an option.

BTW -- I am your mother's age and could easily carry my luggage and probably another persons, depending on how much they had. I hope you aren't basing her abilities on age alone.

I'm not sure of the time difference (ie how far into the race we are) but the race has already started.

OP - The news link I quoted said they will have Police directing traffic. The intersections on the route itself might be closed, but from the look of the map, it appears to me that there is a clear route to the port (again, I don't know the area but the concierge at the hotel should be able to confirm this). Obviously those intersections will be busy. You may have to walk a block or two to get out of the route area, but it looks like you can.

You also have to consider time, the marathon started at 6:15. While the course stays open for hours, a good majority of the runners will be done in under 5 hours. It will be much more likely to allow traffic through with fewer people on the course.

I would not chance a 1pm shuttle but that is up to you.

Edited by 1kaper

And I did call Carnival. I might as well of picked up a tin can and called my mom at the pool, for such a hugely publicized event with massive traffic implications for travel to and from the port, I would have thought that at least their staff would be aware. She said - "there's a what? A car race?". No clue. I realize she isn't likely local - but I expected better from Carnival Corp.

I must agree with your conclusion about the poor communication from Carnival and Carnival's ignorance of local events that can and do affect passenger access to their ships. Are you reading this Carnival?

I must agree with your conclusion about the poor communication from Carnival and Carnival's ignorance of local events that can and do affect passenger access to their ships. Are you reading this Carnival?

There are just way to many events to keep track of.

Who is at fault here Carnival because they should have told her that if she comes in a night early that there might be delays if she choose a hotel downtown or in X area or in Y area etc.

Or is the hotel at fault because they should have know the OP was not there for the race?

Or, I hate to say, the OP who booked the hotel and did not do the research. For me I would have done the exact same thing as OP, booked the hotel and not checking to see if anything was going to hamper my travel plans. Years ago we stayed in Cocoa Beach and had an early flight the next morning, no problems right. I forgot about the road closures due to fires and we got to the gate right as they were getting ready to shut the doors on us.

I hope you make it to the boat, and make sure to have several drinks once you do :)