Athletic Shoes

Socal404

Read on the Oceania website, and here, too, I believe, that athletic shoes are not permitted in the dining rooms. My wife has mobility issues, and it is safer to wear athletic shoes. It prevents slipping and sliding. Anyone have the 411 on this? Will she be asked to leave the dining room?

Thanks.

Read on the Oceania website, and here, too, I believe, that athletic shoes are not permitted in the dining rooms. My wife has mobility issues, and it is safer to wear athletic shoes. It prevents slipping and sliding. Anyone have the 411 on this? Will she be asked to leave the dining room?

Thanks.

No problems with any footwear during the day and agree with informing O prior to the cruise regarding your wife's issues and requesting a waiver of the recommended footwear during the evening.

If they are clean and presentable, there should be no problem. There are a lot of black colored athletic shoes that look like regular footwear at a glance. I definitely saw some of those on our recent cruise in the various dining venues and didn't think anything of it.

I also saw flipflops, shorts, and tshirts on men in the evening in Terraces which are against the dress code I am pretty sure, but no one enforces it there apparently. Things were extremely casual in that venue, though not in the others. Everywhere else people seemed nicely and appropriately dressed.

I also saw flipflops, shorts, and tshirts on men in the evening in Terraces which are against the dress code I am pretty sure, but no one enforces it there apparently. Things were extremely casual in that venue, though not in the others. Everywhere else people seemed nicely and appropriately dressed.

NO it's not. Double check that. Most people wear nicer clothes than that but it's not against the dress code for the buffet.

NO it's not. Double check that. Most people wear nicer clothes than that but it's not against the dress code for the buffet.

Under the FAQs on Oceania website, it says that "we request jeans, shorts, tennis shoes, and t shirts not be worn in public areas after 6 pm".

The dress code states country club casual. I have belonged to a couple of country clubs over the years, and none allowed jeans, shorts or t shirts in the dining areas.

Under the FAQs on Oceania website, it says that "we request jeans, shorts, tennis shoes, and t shirts not be worn in public areas after 6 pm".

The dress code states country club casual. I have belonged to a couple of country clubs over the years, and none allowed jeans, shorts or t shirts in the dining areas.

I've been looking and can't find that, do you have a link for it?

I'm looking under Guest Services FAQ.

it is a REQUEST

This has been discussed many times before

Dress Shorts are allowed in the Terrace for dinner

This is all I could find

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club-casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

Maybe confusing Regent dress codes with Oceania

Allowed may not be the right word for Oceania. Appropriate is the word to use. I've never seen Oceania turn anyone away from the MDR or SRs for inappropriate wear. I witnessed O admitting to the MDR for dinner, a guy dressed in shorts and casual sandals. Of course, he was in the Owners suite and I guess they would have let him in wearing a bathrobe.

Wear whatever shoes you need to wear and simply let the Dr. Mgr. know that you have a foot problem. They will be happy to accommodate your request, esp. if you are dressed appropriately otherwise.

Enjoy your cruise!

Jan

Allowed may not be the right word for Oceania. Appropriate is the word to use. I've never seen Oceania turn anyone away from the MDR or SRs for inappropriate wear. I witnessed O admitting to the MDR for dinner, a guy dressed in shorts and casual sandals. Of course, he was in the Owners suite and I guess they would have let him in wearing a bathrobe.

Jan

We saw a man turned away from the GDR at dinner because he was in shorts

I guess he was not in an OS...wonder how they know :rolleyes:

Edited by LHT28

I've noticed that the itinerary plays a large role in wardrobe at Terraces in the evenings.

I've seen many more tees and shorts (and flowered shirts on guys) on the Carib sailings but less on Med/Baltic/cruises.

I think people are into more casual dress in the islands as they relax.

Have have found no mention of a time frame for wearing shorts in the evening

Please post where you saw this so we will not make the faux pas again

Many people will still be in shorts at 6pm some go to happy hour from the pool area then sit chatting past 6pm

I find it hard to believe there is a time rule as dress shorts are ALLOWED in THE TERRACE for dinner

Edited by LHT28

I even have a pair of Sperry Topsider white canvas deck shoes with white sequins, almost formal. Sperry makes best boat shoes out there.

Good advice from zoncom. Sperry made its reputation with non-slip boat shoes. If these work on wet slippery decks on boats, they'll do just fine inside a cruise ship with stabilizers.

Here's a link to Sperry Topsider Original 2-Eye boat shoes in a gold version and a silver version:

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/en/authentic-original-metallic-boat-shoe/10149W.html?dwvar_10149W_color=9294455#cgid=women-shoes-boat-shoes&start=114

Here's a link to to a snazzy black and gold Original 2-eye version:

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/en/bluefish-2-eye-boat-shoe/10278W.html?ref=2-eye%20women&dwvar_10278W_color=9288440#q=2-eye+women&start=14

If your wife can safely wear a slip on shoe -- admittedly one that comes up a little higher on the foot than a flat -- she'll have loads of choices among the Sperry Topside Angelfish model. Here one example of Sperry's more fashion forward options:

Silver metallic with glitter:

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/en/angelfish-slip-on-boat-shoe/10055W.html?ref=angelfish&dwvar_10055W_color=9180191#q=angelfish&start=9

I have no connection with the company. I prefer wearing flat shoes and have found that Sperry's shoes offer me cute options.

Actually I went back and looked. It says no jeans, shorts(type is not specified), tennis shoes or t shirts at dinner. I was mixing Regent with Oceania in my mind as regent has the 6 pm thing. The link is here:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/faq.aspx?Cat=Before%20You%20Go

There is the dress code on the Oceania site; it appears to change often. Recently it seemed to imply that jeans would be accepted in the MDR. That changed fast. It's no longer as specific as it once was.

There is usually another dress code reference in the blue booklet O sends for your cruise. It reads a little differently.

There is also a very specific dress code section in the on-board, bound reference books in your cabin. It has a lot more detail, including the fact that dressy shorts and casual shirts are permitted in the Terrace in the evening. It also further defines non-permitted sandals as "rubber or plastic", almost definitely outlawing flip-flops. I wear men's dressy closed toe leather sandals in the evening dining venues and nobody has taken notice to my knowledge (I wear casual open toe sandals during the day).

All of the more detailed dress code statements state that the desired evening wear is just in the dining rooms, nit the general run of the ship (and never mention the theater), with the specific mention of the more casual dress in the Terrace.

I wish they would adopt a standard, more detailed code in all their publications -- the details in the cabin book are a little late for packing :rolleyes:.

Pet, Thanks for site. Love the metallic ones. SOCAL, surprise your wife with some. I am just packing for a cruise. Debated between lightweight hiking boots and Sperry deck shoes for shore. Sperry won.Have a bunch of them, some maybe 10yrs. old.

Since someone brought up Top-Siders, would conventional brown leather men's Top-Siders be acceptable in the evening, or do I need to bring leather Oxford lace-up "office" shoes to wear after 6? Beginning to wonder if I need to lay in some long-sleeved sport shirts, too.

Since someone brought up Top-Siders, would conventional brown leather men's Top-Siders be acceptable in the evening, or do I need to bring leather Oxford lace-up "office" shoes to wear after 6? Beginning to wonder if I need to lay in some long-sleeved sport shirts, too.

I am sure they will be fine as long as they do not look too disgraceful

Long sleeves shirts are your personal choice just like a Jacket ...you can even wear a tie if you want

Lyn

If you're asking about Top-Sider boat shoes, they're perfectly fine, usually with Dockers or similar, but only if you wear them sans socks ;).

Edited by hondorner

If you're asking about Top-Sider boat shoes, they're perfectly fine, usually with Dockers or similar, but only if you wear them sans socks ;).

You are completely right of course - having grown up in coastal Massachusetts, there's clearly no other way. But then that raises a whole new question about O's dress code.......:D