An unexpected encounter

An unexpected encounter:

Has anyone bumped into family or friends on a RCCL cruise without knowing they were going on the cruise?

We have met 3 different sets of friends/family whilst sailing with RCCL without knowing they were going on the cruise.

:cool:

Edited by Static events

Yes, DW and I were on RCCL cruise a couple of years ago and ran into one of my employees that was on sick leave.

HA HA HA...OMG...that must have been VERY embarrassing and uncomfortable.:eek:

We have never bumped into anyone we know...BUT....hubby and I were on the Lido deck, sitting at a table and enjoying a cocktail, when another couple asked if they could join us. "of course" we said. As it turned out...it was TRAINMAN....lol. For anyone that does not know who he is, he does many LIVE reviews on RCCL. What a great couple.:)

Not really on the ship but still an interesting story. In order for me to go on a vacation, I would need to find a replacement for my job. When I asked my usual person if she was available, she informed me that she was going on a cruise that same week and therefore would not be available. Anyway, we found out it was the same ship and by weird luck, our cabins were right next to each other.

Yes, sort of:rolleyes:. One trip we took we flew down to Miami and ended up meeting four people who live in our area and we saw at the gym. On our most recent trip, mid way through, we ran into the family that owns a local restaurant that we frequent.

One of my friends who travels with us has run into her pharmacist and her pool guy on two different trips:p

On a cruise a few years ago, my husband ran into a friend he had gone to high school with 20 years ago. On that same cruise, we bumped into two families from our hometown.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Some years ago the waiter of my parent's table on dinning room was his boss maybe 20 years ago (my father worked in restaurants and then had his own restaurant). When the waiter found out that my father was Portuguese he asked him "Do you know Mr.X?"....My father laugh and said "Don't you recognize me? I'm Mr. X!" :D

Edited by framboesa

In Sep. we were on Oasis and found out 2 weeks prior to going that the parents of very good friends would be onboard. Met up with them several times.

Many years ago we were on a Princess cruise. While looking at photos of the 1st Formal night we saw a photo of a Coast Guard Captain and his wife in Mess Dress. I am former Coast Guard. He looked like an old friend but wasn't sure. Turned around and there they were. Hadn't seen him and his wife for 20 years. Spent the rest of the cruise catching up.

Best story: A friend and her family were on a Carnival cruise during Spring Break. Her 17 year old high school son went up onto the "topless deck" (go figure). Much to his surprise, he saw his English teacher topless sunbathing! Worst part...his mother was Chairwoman of the School Board. :) Don't think he ever told her (whew). Probably because he was more afraid she'd be mad he was on the topless deck (she would have honored the teachers right to privacy anyway). :)

Yes! On my first cruise, my family went to celebrate my college graduation. One evening I'm walking down the promenade and hear someone calling my name. It was a guy from one of my music groups at school! We both thought it was awesome that we randomly were on the same vacation and ended up meeting for drinks later that week.

Yes we were at a Muster Drill on Explorer of the Seas back in 2010 and a man that worked with me at the time, walked by with his family. So weird! It took me several days to run into him again. Another time, we were booked on a 5 night Bermuda cruise on Explorer too. Before we left, I had asked a neighbor to take in our garbage cans whille we were away. He said he couldn't do it for me because he was on our cruise too!

I have also encountered several people that I met over the years on cruises who were sailing with us again. :p

Edited by Annefran

My kids have seen kids in the teen club from their HS; not friends, but given all of MA is out for that week for vaca, it's not unusual; we see someone from one of our kids schools EVERYTIME we go to WDW.

My most interesting "unexpected family on board story" was on Jewel; the chef from Montenegro came out to shake hands and talk to diners, when he arrived at the table next to us, he realized the fellow sitting there was his cousin (they look so alike!!) Neither knew the other was on board and they chatted for a while, and the next night the Chef brought his phone out and they took photos together their to send home to relatives!

We live in Canada. In early 2011, we vacationed in Tampa and jumped on a deal for a 5-night cruise on Grandeur. Some of our on-board dining room table-mates were from the Chicago area. We parted company without exchanging information. One year later, we drove to Baltimore to cruise on Enchantment and as we boarded, we ran into one of the couples who dined with us on Grandeur. Quite a coincidence!

One one cruise, I ran into an ex-girlfriend. That was awkward. Fine, but awkward.

On another we ran into some friends from home who we knew were going to be on there, but didn't know if we would see them. We ended up seeing them at least once a day, and being the first to know they had gotten engaged, since they couldn't get in touch with anybody else. Thought that was pretty cool.

My husband ran into one of his students that lived in the building that he ran the precious semester. Funny thing is the university is in Texas and the cruise departed from Port Canaveral.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app