Worth a balcony for the view?

bigwhistle

We are looking to go from Vancouver to Seward this summer. Stops are Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay. There are mainly port balconies left. Is it worth the price for a balcony....in other words, are we paying to just look at ocean instead of scenery? It is a north bound journey.

I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions on this but here's mine. If the reason for booking a balcony is the view, I would say no. If you have a desire for a quiet pre-dinner cocktail or a room service breakfast on your balcony that's another question but not for the view.

HAL ships have very nice and generous open decks where you can quickly go to the best spot for a view. The view will be ever changing and your balcony will only give you about half of it no matter how well placed. In the inside passage especially, you will have the mainland on one side and islands on the other, and your best way to see everything is to be on the open decks.

If one of your party is mobility impaired, that might change, but that's my advice.

Roy

For us Alaska is the one place a balcony is a must. There is so much changing scenery all day- it's nice to be able to walk out to the balcony when wildlife or whales are spotted. We love bundling up with in the morning and going out there for coffee.

Keep checking HAL's website to see if a balcony becomes available on the side you want. People do cancel.

We had an inside on our 2 week Alaska cruise, which I consider a huge mistake. Of course you will go on deck for the best view. But, to be able to have the view while in your cabin, changing or adding clothes, getting ready for dinner etc.----priceless. To see out of the window in an OV, you have to stand on the bed. What's the point?

We love having a balcony/verandah no matter where we cruise.

We always book port side.

We enjoy sitting out on our verandah enjoying a cocktail and people watching. Many times the port side faces inland when in port.

We have also noticed that many captains have the port side of the ship face the glaciers the longest.

As you head northward, you will not be that close to land for viewing from a starboard side cabin.

You have to decide if it is worth the extra money.

I too recommend a balcony cabin. When one gets up in the AM it is nice to go outside and see what's what plus gauge the temperature. Even though was go all over the ship in Glacier Bay,it is always nice to come back to the balcony to view the scenery from there.

We always get a balcony regardless of where we are sailing. We like being able to just step outside for a moment, or sit out there for longer. The first thing we do after we get to the cabin after embarkation is go out on the balcony. :D

In our last 20 crusies or so, we have had a ocean view without balcony twice, because non was available.

No matter were we cruise we love the balcony... if for nothing else, just fresh air. The view and peace and quiet we enjoy on the balcony is a bonus.

We chose balcony cabins in 2012 when we cruised to Alaska with elderly mothers. At 94 and 86 they were not as mobile and less likely to spend much time on deck. We booked 3 cabins in a row and had ship staff remove

the barriers so we had one long balcony. Our moms loved to get bundled up and sit out to watch the glaciers, and other scenery. At glacier view points, the captain rotated the ship 360 degrees so everyone got to see.

-Smart 4-2

For us a balcony is nice in the morning arriving in a port, in the evening departing from a port, or in warmer climates, for after dinner wine sipping. In AK in a scenic area we are not in our cabin, so we do not book a balcony because about 50% of the time it is likely to be on the wrong side from the scenery/wildlife worth seeing.

You didn't say what ship you are considering (and I didn't look to see what ship it might be), but if it an R-class or S-class with Lower Promenade cabins that is our choice for AK. If we happen to be in our cabin when an announcement is made about something worth seeing we can quickly get out to whichever side it is on.

To see out of the window in an OV, you have to stand on the bed.
In OV's with the head of the bed on an outside wall we always have the bed split into twins.

Edited by jtl513

By all means take the port balcony. I know everyone says go to the outside decks and the Crow's Nest. But it will be crowded and hard to get a good spot many times. And you can't beat waking up in the morning and walking right outside on your own balcony. The inside passage has wonderful views and I regret having had an OV on my first two cruises. I spent a lot of time running around the ship trying to get the best views. And in Glacier Bay it won't matter which side you're on because the captain will circle around so both port and starboard have a view. You'll want to go out on the bow to take some pictures but especially if the weather is not so good you'll find your balcony is more protected.

St. Louis Sal

We have had balconies on all of our cruises except for two when we had ocean view cabins, and we seriously missed our balcony through both of those trips. Never again will be sail without a balcony.

Even when we are out in the middle of the ocean, we love to just sit out and enjoy the balcony and watch the world go by.

That said, we also have friends who love inside cabins so they can sleep whenever they want. Different strokes! :p

well, two Alaskan cruises and no scenery or wildlife. We traveled mostly at night on the first cruise plus it was foggy and rainy. Second cruise we did do Glacier Nat. Pk but that was best up at the Crow's Nest or forward deck outside. We also missed nice pics of Denali as it SNOWED! So I guess it was best that we had Ocean View. We also had Ocean View on a transatlantic but there was nothing to see anyway. We still considered all our cruises as fantastic!:)

well, two Alaskan cruises and no scenery or wildlife. We traveled mostly at night on the first cruise plus it was foggy and rainy. Second cruise we did do Glacier Nat. Pk but that was best up at the Crow's Nest or forward deck outside. We also missed nice pics of Denali as it SNOWED! So I guess it was best that we had Ocean View. We also had Ocean View on a transatlantic but there was nothing to see anyway. We still considered all our cruises as fantastic!:)

Did you sail out of Vancouver? The journey back down the Inside Passage on the last sea day is always fabulous scenery and chances of seeing wildlife. Our last cruise (No. 5) we were accompanied by a huge pod of dolphins, and several sightings of Orcas and grey whales.

Having said that, a balcony is OK for Alaska, but I can go without because the best viewing is from the public decks, the bow or the aft Lido. We've had a balcony twice, and OV on the Lower Promenade three times.

Did you sail out of Vancouver? The journey back down the Inside Passage on the last sea day is always fabulous scenery and chances of seeing wildlife.
Yes, we sailed from Seward to Vancouver on one of our two cruises. Coming down the Inside Passage we were in heavy overcast and rain, and saw no wildlife. Definitely UNfabulous. :( Edited by catl331

Yes, we sailed from Seward to Vancouver on one of our two cruises. Coming down the Inside Passage we were in heavy overcast and rain, and saw no wildlife. Definitely UNfabulous. :([/size][/font]

I guess I'm just true Vancouverite.... I love it even in the rain!:D

Our first cruise was to Alaska and we had a balcony. You will love the scenery from your balcony and being in port with a balcony is great also.

We always book rooms on the starboard side but both times we cruised to Alaska, it was out of Seattle and we had great views.

Hi

My first cruise back in 80's I had a inside solo room. weahter was perfect for the whole two weeks.

then in 2011 I sailed on Amsterdam I went with a inside room in main deck Loved the room. weather was great.

In 2012 I was on upper deck as I got a upsell and loved the deck Would have loved to have a door but I really loved the cabin. weather was horrible.

Going back in 2014 would love to have a balconey but the price is just too expensive.

Since I was on the Zuiderdam in November on a balconey it was really nice and I was spoiled and loved going out at night and just sitting on deck

this will be the firdt time I am not going solo. I would love the upgrade faily or up see to visit but I have little hope as this is a very popular cruise. I am sure will sell out.

Mary