Royal Caribbean kicked me off cruise ship for having a migraine

Elfmama

On January 11th, we were supposed to sail on Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore to celebrate our 40th anniversary. Instead, we got kicked off the ship at dockside because I came down with a migraine. I started having migraines at age 6, so I've had over 50 years of experience with them. By now, I know when I'm having a migraine and when I'm not. One of my major triggers is flashing lights, particularly bright, intense lights like strobe lights.

We got there in plenty of time, there about 10:30 when last check-in time was 3:00. Got into the stateroom, unpacked, had lunch, arranged for a shore excursion to replace one that was cancelled, etc.

Then they had the lifeboat drill. I didn't know that when they blow the ship's horn for the signal, they also have strobe lights going off in the corridor. Had there been notice either on the TV or in print, I would have had my husband check to see if it had stopped flashing, or had him lead me out while I covered my eyes. But since they didn't, I came out of my cabin and got one right in the face, no more than 10 feet away. IMMEDIATE migraine onset. And as bad luck would have it, there was a medic (? She never said one way or the other.) right there at the muster station. When I'm coming down with a migraine, I slur and stammer. This is a common-enough symptom that it has a name, dysphasic aura.

The medic insisted that I might be having a stroke, and wouldn't listen to me or DH telling them that this was the same set of symptoms that I have with EVERY migraine, and have had for at least the last 20 years. She insisted that I had to go to the infirmary. I finally allowed them to take me there, figuring that I'd tell the doctor I was in migraine prodrome, show him my migraine meds, and he'd know that there was nothing to worry about.

It didn't work that way. They gave me my Imitrex, but wouldn't listen when we told them that all I needed to do was lie down in a dark room for a couple of hours. They kicked BOTH of us off the ship and confiscated our shipcards so that we couldn't get back on.

They sent me in an ambulance to the ER, where the doctor took one look at me, had me do the very basic neuro test (squeeze hands, smile, check eyes), gave me an EKG, agreed that with my history of migraines, I knew what I was talking about, and discharged me. In and out in half an hour. (When was the last time you got through the ER like THAT on a Saturday afternoon?)

Meanwhile the cruise people packed up our stuff and called a taxi for DH. SonIL#2 got there first and took him to the hospital. When DH walked into the room, I was ready to leave. So we came home. Nothing else to do. The ship had sailed as soon as they got DH off of it.

We did get a refund of our shore excursions and wine package and stuff like that, but not the cost of the cruise itself. Our only recourse is to file with the travel insurance people.

For the last month, our travel agent has been fighting for us to get some sort of recompense from Royal Caribbean, but this afternoon we got a forward from her:

Dear Ms. [Agent]: Thank you for your e-mail. Please accept my apology for not responding sooner. We appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to further address any concerns. The well-being of our guests is our highest priority. However, there may be times when things do not go the way we had intended. We understand your disappointment regarding the medical evacuation of your client. Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate the request for compensation. I apologize for any disappointment with our final decision. Ms. [Agent], thank you for the time you have taken to write to us. We truly look forward to the opportunity to welcome your clients back again and demonstrate our commitment to service on a future sailing. Sincerely, Najwa Pagon Corporate Guest Relations Advocate

It will be a cold day in Hawaii before we step foot on a Royal Caribbean ship again. In the morning, I'm calling my local TV stations' Investigative Teams. We will also be consulting legal advice. You know that old saying, a satisfied customer tells one person, an unsatisfied customer tells 10? Royal Caribbean has not considered that in these days of widespread internet access, that number might be closer to 10,000.

And whatever you do on your next cruise, DO NOT admit to having a minor ailment. Or you might be the one dumped off in a strange city, unable to rejoin your ship, for no reason other than a headache or touch of indigestion.

Can you imagine the lawsuit they would have had if a stroke victim had not been taken to the ER? With the current legal environment, all corporations must err on the side of caution.

Most migrane sufferers don't experience migranes when on low-carb, high-fat diets, so you might want to consider cutting out carbs just before the cruise to reduce the likelyhood of this happening on your next cruise.

In the morning, I'm calling my local TV stations' Investigative Teams. We will also be consulting legal advice.

Sorry you missed your cruise but did RCI do something wrong? :confused:

Edited by Big_G

So my assumption is the OP will be a "one post wonder" and not come back for any clarification. I'm not an RCI "cheerleader", but this one is on an either risk adverse or incompetent (but unfortunately fully licensed and credentialed) doc!

Remember (from numerous previous posts, and onboard information) that the ship's doctor is legally an independent contractor and RCI assumes no responsibility for their action or inaction. That provides RCI legal top cover and leaves the doc hanging out to dry. With the OPs history, there's no way on earth any ER would do more than a quick rule out and release, which was what happened. The ship's doc was unwilling to accept that risk and offloaded his or her case on the ER (if you know an ER doc or nurse, this happens all the time).

Frankly, I hope the OP has private travel insurance and the insurance company goes after the quack that put them in this position. But, this one ain't on RCI, unless they violated their own policies and didn't hire a qualified physician...

You had cruise insurance, correct? Your cruise insurance should repay your expenses.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience... but what if this one time you were having a stroke. You laid down in a dark room... and your DH came back to find you dead. The doctor and the ship staff have to look at the whole picture. You were just looking at a just a portion of the snapshot.

If you knew the symptoms of stammering and slurring... why did you even talk at the drill? Why not just stand there quietly and quickly go to your cabin when it was all over? Brining attention to yourself and your ailment is somewhat odd.

Finally... if this one post to Cruise Critic of yours is your attempt to gain publicity for this... just take a look at the other posts on here... this story doesn't even make the top 10 of horror cruise stories. Good luck with the news stations -- unless someone dies or there is a seamy story involved they won't give you a second of air time.

This is a tough experience....I understand RCCLs side as they need to be safe....but on the other hand the passenger knew what was happening and simply needed RCCL to listen.....tough break.....

To the OP....you're gonna get many people on here that will be rather rude when responding....just try to ignore the rudeness and listen to some of the posters on here who may have good advice for the future.....

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Ignore the RCI fanboys who always side with the cruise line no matter how egregious they acted. So sorry this happened to you on what was to be a 40th anniversary cruise. Assuming what you described is accurate, this was a ridiculous and avoidable overreaction by the cruise line. Very cold and thoughtless they would do this and it should cause people to think twice about sailing with them if they do not make this right. I hope you are able to procure some recourse; you definitely deserve a full refund of all expenses and they should offer you some compensation on top of this to try and make things right. Best wishes to you.

......... By now, I know when I'm having a migraine and when I'm not. One of my major triggers is flashing lights, particularly bright, intense lights like strobe lights........

.... they also have strobe lights going off in the corridor. Had there been notice either on the TV or in print, I would have had my husband check to see if it had stopped flashing, or had him lead me out while I covered my eyes. But since they didn't, I came out of my cabin and got one right in the face, no more than 10 feet away. IMMEDIATE migraine onset. And as bad luck would have it, there was a medic

Hi,

I am sorry that you had to experience this ....... but did you notify RCI , that you do have migraine for many years and what they recommend for you to cruise ? or not ? or to bring some form of a letter from your doctor explaining your problems and symptoms ?

How they suppose to know to warn you about the flashing lights if they do not know that this will cause you a problem ?

How did the medic suppose to know that it is migraine and not something very serious ?

How would the media react if it was stroke and the medical department did not send you to local hospital ?

What would happen if the ship left the port and your migrane turned into something very serious - they would have to turn back to get you help ..... do you think that lost time would not affect the rest of the cruise ?

Sorry for you, but I think the ship medics did what they did for your good .... and for the good of rest of the cruisers.

And the insurance is there to cover such a incidents...... I hope that you purchased one that covers preexisting conditions.

I hope you feel well.

You have also used your "widespread internet" to tell the world you have a pre existing condition for many years, which means for your insurance to cover this you had a short window to purchase it.

Edited by setsail

Wow, so sorry! I hope you are compensated by the insurance plan. It is a shame if you realized your symptoms as something you have experienced before and knew how to handle it but they over reacted (most likely from fear of being sued). Many people suffer migraines. It is a shame if people are cowed into fearing being upfront about issues. It seems like RCCL overreacted big time. I can imagine the stress it caused from being thrown overboard, so to speak, not to mention the expense and trouble to you. Very sorry!

This sort of story is a reason why I have qualms about cruising. To begin with I have always wondered about the quality of doctors that are on board these cruise ships. I mean what kind of quack can't figure out the difference between a migraine and a stroke. She had meds for migraines and has been walked through strobe lights for Pete sake. The ER doctor had no trouble figuring it out.

There are too many stories about cruise lines throwing passengers all ships for no justified reason, then insurance companies are expected to pay for their wrongdoing.

This, more than anything else, with the possible exception of cruise ship fires and breakdowns, is making me wonder about this type of vacationing.

Most travel insurance policies won't cover you for a medical condition you have been treated for within 60-90 days of sailing. RCCL's CruiseCare will cover the cost up to 75% with their "cancel for any reason" clause.

I am in agreement that this is a hard lesson to the OP that she needs to travel with a letter from her doctor, in addition to her migraine meds, explaining her symptoms, etc. To her it was a repeat of her usual migraine experience, and she does have some nasty symptoms. To the ship's doctor it all looks suspicious, and I don't really blame him/her having the OP go to a local hospital where they are better equipped to diagnose and treat her IF it was a stroke.

What I can't figure out is why they didn't try to get to the next port and enjoy the rest of the cruise? I'm sure the notes from the ER doctor would have been sufficient. I would have headed back to the dock and talk to the agent there to see what could be done.

Edited by pcur

...It will be a cold day in Hawaii before we step foot on a Royal Caribbean ship again...

I'm very sorry for your troubles. Having a chronic illness is difficult. I would recommend that you don't step foot on any cruise ship again, or purchase great travel insurance that covers cancel for any reason. RC did what they are supposed to do when presented with symptoms that look potentially serious.

I suffer from migraines and I do not believe they are rare occurrences. I have had them for at least 40 years also. Mine are triggered by weather conditions most of the time. There is not much I can do to change the weather. Medications do help a some but don't always do a lot of good. I am shocked that the dr. would not listen to her explanation about having migraines and her knowing exactly what was going on. It doesn't sound to me like he was much of a dr. if what she said is totally accurate. It really disturbs me. I can't believe they would throw someone off the ship like that for this reason. I know there is always a possibility of someone having a stroke but that can happen to anyone at any time. After all the expense it is to go on a cruise including airfare, hotels, and the cruise itself this is crazy. I believe they should compensate her in some way even though the contract says what it does. I think this is a little different than the normal sick person coming on the ship.

Wow. Am I the only one who is appalled with how the OP is being crucified for having a manageable chronic condition?

I think because I suffered for years with cluster migraines I understand that it is not life threatening and just something you live through.

I also understand the ship's concern, but really, a doctor should know better. If RCCL decided to error on being cautious with today's litigious society, that is their right. I only feel that they should refund the cruise fare because it was the cruise line that didn't want to take the risk. The OP knew very well what was happening and that it was not life threatening.

Yes, statements about never cruising with RCCL are extreme, but if you put yourself in her shoes, you would be upset too.

Let's say you had diabetes, should you not be allowed to cruise? Diabetes can be life threatening.

I am a RCCL fanboy, but I do think the OP deserves a refund.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app