Celebrity Cruises to Debut 'Ship Within a Ship' Concept

LauraS

One thing that is I have noticed these Suites do not have any Accessible Cabins / Staterooms! The closest disabled cruisers can get to suites are Sky Suites, and guess what they have been excluded! No surprise really, they wouldn't want a wheelchair or scooter in their midst.:rolleyes:

You couldn't be more wrong. I'm a full time scooter user, due to post polio, and I'm in a Penthouse now on Equinox, and I have no problem using this suite despite my disability. Unless you're totally immobile, such as quad or para, or you cannot walk at all, these suites can be used by persons with disabilities. I can take that one step into the very large shower and sit on the shower seat, do whatever I need to do, take the one step out to sit on my scooter, and I'm done.

Edited by kitty9

I have no problem with this AS LONG AS QUALITY DOES NOT GO DOWN FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

I'm actually more interested in trying a suite because of these changes. But I also hope that the quality of Blu and MDR will not suffer. Sometimes you feel like a suite (not yet for us), sometimes you don't. Our major motivation for booking AQ was Blu though, so an all suite dining room would be an inticement (Not an exclusivity thing - we like the smaller feel of Blu and the specialties). Also for ppl that always get the PALL having that automatically included is great!

BUT - Celebrity should make sure everyone has a great cruise. suite or no. He's hoping that will still be the case.

Unfortunately THE QUALITY HAS GONE DOWN ALREADY FOR EVERYBODY WHO IS NOT ON AQUA CLASS OR SUITE.

On our last cruise onboard the Solstice, a very common answer at the main dining room was:" sorry it is not available at the MDR anymore. It is offered only for Aqua Class Passengers or for Suite guests". We felt already a very strong class system being enforced by the Scottish manager at the MDR.

Although I think the new perks sound nice, for the most part, they aren't anything that someone in a regular cabin couldn't buy. To me, the only good reason to book a top suite would be for the cabin itself. For what the cruise line charges for those cabins, the added perks really do sound appropriate to me.

The price is so high for the top suites on Celebrity, I have to wonder why those who can afford to sail in them do not choose a luxury line instead, other than the fact that on Celebrity, they may feel more special in comparison to the rest of the passengers. I think the exclusive areas for the suite passengers will help with that aspect.

Next year, we will be sailing on a luxury line for the first time, only because Celebrity and Azamara do not offer the itinerary we wanted. We are really so very happy with our Celebrity experiences, I don't anticipate being blown away by the luxury line, but time will tell. I think the small ship experience is the one thing that Celebrity cannot provide; one where the crew knows your name and you see the same passengers over and over. I am looking forward to that aspect of the luxury cruise and the exotic itinerary, but if Celebrity or Azamara had a similar itinerary, I would never have considered the luxury line.

The suites on Celebrity are truly beautiful (the M-class penthouses are amazing), and if won the lottery, I'd certainly give them a shot, but the regular balcony cabins or Aqua class are fine for me till then.

Brenda, I had to stop cruising Crystal because they only have four accessible cabins on their ships, and unless I can book wayyyyy out, their accessible cabins are always booked at least 2 years out. It's the same for the other luxury lines

Unfortunately THE QUALITY HAS GONE DOWN ALREADY FOR EVERYBODY WHO IS NOT ON AQUA CLASS OR SUITE.

On our last cruise onboard the Solstice, a very common answer at the main dining room was:" sorry it is not available at the MDR anymore. It is offered only for Aqua Class Passengers or for Suite guests". We felt already a very strong class system being enforced by the Scottish manager at the MDR.

So what was not available in the MDR for you that suite guests were receiving since suite guests are currently dining in the same MDR?

You know what everyone? Everything in life is some form of a class system, when you really think about it. Some people can purchase a Mercedes with all the bells and whistles, and some buy minivans that are stripped down. Some fly first class and others in coach. Some people dine at 5 star restaurants while others will dine at Denny's. Some buy their clothes at Neiman Marcus and some at K Mart. It doesn't make one person better than another, it's just about what one is either willing or able to spend. Any car or cruise ship will get you where you want to go, but the difference is, do you want to pay more for more options?

Can you name a specific example?

A new class system? What a bunch of BS.

On these boards there are only two classes: those that can afford to cruise and those who can't. Everything else is just window dressing. ;)

Everyone who has watched Titanic would realize that those in steerage enjoy themselves while the others onboard have to dress up to enjoy a drink.

On our last cruise onboard the Solstice, a very common answer at the main dining room was:" sorry it is not available at the MDR anymore. It is offered only for Aqua Class Passengers or for Suite guests".

Can you give specifics, these changes could change what type of cabin some of us book in the future. Thank you.

Edited by NLH Arizona

On these boards there are only two classes: those that can afford to cruise and those who can't. Everything else is just window dressing. ;)

Everyone who has watched Titanic would realize that those in steerage enjoy themselves while the others onboard have to dress up to enjoy a drink.

Like.

Question: why do passengers spend sweet money on Celebrity?

jls

Like.

Question: why do passengers spend sweet money on Celebrity?

jls

1) Larger room

2) Larger balcony

3) Full sized bath tub and shower, Jacuzzi in higher suites

4) Royal and higher have a Jacuzzi on the balcony. This is NEAT.

5) The butler really does add something.

6) Some of the suites come with two bottles of booze!

I think it's great that Celebrity is adding value for suite guests. We book one whenever we can afford it!

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX

Edited by hughdm

This may have been discussed but none of this sounds like a "ship within a ship" concept. The Haven on NCL and the Yacht Club on MSC are designed to separate the upper end suite guests from the plebeians by providing a private pool, deck areas in addition to a restaurant and lounge. That way the patricians don't have to interact with the lower classes. I've heard they may even offer tour packages where suite guests will be carried around in litters.

Celebrity is simply adding a few more perks for those paying more. I don't see any evidence that this will dilute the experience for the peons. It actually sounds like some posters think the suite guests should pay more and get fewer perks.

That's a nice way of putting that!

What I feel is the real issue here is...that people in certain cabins will not be able to socialize or dine with people in other cabins.

For instance, I have met and become friends with several couples who routinely book a suite, from royal to penthouse. Me, I'm in a balcony or oceanview. If we are separated by classes and cannot dine or drink or socialize together, that lessens the cruise experience not only for me, but for my friends.

Do we really want to be separated like that???

What I feel is the real issue here is...that people in certain cabins will not be able to socialize or dine with people in other cabins.

For instance, I have met and become friends with several couples who routinely book a suite, from royal to penthouse. Me, I'm in a balcony or oceanview. If we are separated by classes and cannot dine or drink or socialize together, that lessens the cruise experience not only for me, but for my friends.

There are many lounges that you will be able to drink and socialize together, since Michael's club is the only lounge that will be off limits to non-suite passengers. Also, what is going to stop someone from eating in the MDR or specialty restaurants when traveling in a suite, if they have friends or family not traveling in a suite. I believe it would be their choice where they dine.

You might not want to be separated, but I'm sure that some suite passengers will like these perks.

Edited by NLH Arizona

A true friend will choose friendship over a meal. Dinner served by a Butler in a PH Suite is a real treat.

Have you met any friends with people who regularly book Aqua Class? You would have the same issues.

Have you met any friends with people who regularly book Aqua Class? You would have the same issues.

I have been on Aqua class, so I am familiar with that. But we always still mingle with others.

There are many lounges that you will be able to drink and socialize together, since Michael's club is the only lounge that will be off limits to non-suite passengers. Also, what is going to stop someone from eating in the MDR or specialty restaurants when traveling in a suite, if they have friends or family not traveling in a suite. I believe it would be their choice where they dine.

You might not want to be separated, but I'm sure that some suite passengers will like these perks.

The suite passengers I know, like to mingle with the rest of us. :)

Edited by ecslady

A true friend will choose friendship over a meal. Dinner served by a Butler in a PH Suite is a real treat.

Yes, dinner served in the PH suite is a real treat! Thankfully, the friends that I have cruised with before that were booked in suites have been generous enough to invite us.

Edited by ecslady

I didn't realize my initial post would spark such a response...I always thought, we are in the same boat, so to speak, and one of the best things about cruising (to me) is speaking and dining with other people and learning about their experiences, whether it be their experience that day, or their cruising history, or whatever. I enjoy it, no matter what cabin you book.

Yes, dinner served in the PH suite is a real treat! Thankfully, all the friends that I have cruised with before and have been generous to invite us.

Then you really don't have a problem with the new Suite perks. You can dine in the Suite. You can go to a Specialty Restaurant with your friends. They can join you in the MDR one evening, or in Blu if you are AQ. You can always meet for breakfast ( if you are in AQ they can join you in Blu at no cost). Lots of options. My DW and I enjoy dining together, but we often invite others to join us and we have been invited to join others. We do desire to have some time together and don't want to feel obligated to join others for even most meals. Everyone is different, but there are many options.

This may have been discussed but none of this sounds like a "ship within a ship" concept. The Haven on NCL and the Yacht Club on MSC are designed to separate the upper end suite guests from the plebeians by providing a private pool, deck areas in addition to a restaurant and lounge. That way the patricians don't have to interact with the lower classes. I've heard they may even offer tour packages where suite guests will be carried around in litters.

Celebrity is simply adding a few more perks for those paying more. I don't see any evidence that this will dilute the experience for the peons. It actually sounds like some posters think the suite guests should pay more and get fewer perks.

The only issue I have with the plans are that with the design of the Solstice class most of the venues are open to the atrium. When there is a band playing or some other similar activity, the only quiet venues are Michael's Club, the Ensemble Lounge, and Cellar Masters. If they make Michael's Suite only and convert Cellar Masters to a different function then you just have Ensemble or are stuck with a venue open to the Atrium. So yes it does impact the experience for the peons.

Edited by RDC1

Then you really don't have a problem with the new Suite perks.

Personally, you are correct. I enjoy my Elite + perks and it will probably not effect me in the least.

I was thinking as a whole - and how it will affect everyone that cruises, the future of cruising, etc. etc..

Personally, you are correct. I enjoy my Elite + perks and it will probably not effect me in the least.

I was thinking as a whole - and how it will affect everyone that cruises, the future of cruising, etc. etc..

A group of cruising friends were on the Century together when Michael's Club first opened as the Suite/Zenith Lounge. There were some in the group who were Zenith. They would get a drink in Michael's Club and bring it to the Elite Hour so that they could be with friends. It really is about personal choice and I doubt that anything will really change

So would you be suggesting that Celebrity not close any venues, even that for the Elite cocktail party (closed during your prime time hours), for private groups. The cocktail party is a benefit for Elite/Elite+ passengers only, just as activities in other venues that might be closed would be a benefit for other passengers. Please explain how they are different?

To me they are not different and I am not in favor of closing down public venues in prime time. There is an area for Elites to meet and when that overflows, I like the voucher system in your example.

I would ask you, please explain how they are different?