Celebrity Cruises to Debut 'Ship Within a Ship' Concept

LauraS

Some Celeb ships like Reflection, have more space to work with so the concept would not impact other pax that much...but other ships do not have room for many more private areas and that could be a concern

.....There have already been carve outs of the once spacious upper lounge/nightclub area, squeezing in new restaurants and limited time frames now for use of Michaels which was once open to all... I believe there are also spaces in the MDR reserved "my time dining.". Other once public spaces (like the two tiered music room or libraray on M class have gone to other uses like acupuncture and this trend inclreasingly limits where regular pax can enjoy some space.

If we lose BLU in AQ we would have to re-evaluate sailing with X if we could not afford the suite.

Would they take away Muranos, Tuscan, Silk Harvest--guess that's the big question...

quote from prior poster : Actually to make it fair, maybe they should discontinue the Elite cocktail party or open it to all and the same for Blu, open it to all. That way no one would be getting something (in a public space) that everyone isn't getting. Now wouldn't that be fair?

Guess it would be fair for all to use BLU, esp if you pay the higher fare like AQ pax do as well..Maybe we should all get suites for the same lower fare as an inside!

anyhow time will tell how this will work out..

Seriously?

Pot meet kettle, kettle, meet pot.

Blue is a space carved out and taken from the entire ship on the same ships you claim have less space, yet you don't want to loose the special space you've paid extra for.

Suites pay even more than you do for your precious Blu.

How can this hypocrisy make logical sense?

I'm sorry if my post offends, this is not my intent. It is simply to point out that you seem to be fine with your special space, as long as it's YOU that has access, and someone else shouldn't have a different special space that you can't access.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Some Celeb ships like Reflection, have more space to work with so the concept would not impact other pax that much...but other ships do not have room for many more private areas and that could be a concern

.....There have already been carve outs of the once spacious upper lounge/nightclub area, squeezing in new restaurants and limited time frames now for use of Michaels which was once open to all... I believe there are also spaces in the MDR reserved "my time dining.". Other once public spaces (like the two tiered music room or libraray on M class have gone to other uses like acupuncture and this trend inclreasingly limits where regular pax can enjoy some space.

If we lose BLU in AQ we would have to re-evaluate sailing with X if we could not afford the suite.

Would they take away Muranos, Tuscan, Silk Harvest--guess that's the big question...

quote from prior poster : Actually to make it fair, maybe they should discontinue the Elite cocktail party or open it to all and the same for Blu, open it to all. That way no one would be getting something (in a public space) that everyone isn't getting. Now wouldn't that be fair?

Guess it would be fair for all to use BLU, esp if you pay the higher fare like AQ pax do as well..Maybe we should all get suites for the same lower fare as an inside!

anyhow time will tell how this will work out..

And suite guest pay much more than AQ passengers, so why can't they have their own restaurant like AQ guests do. If I understood correctly, they are not taking Blu away, they will build a new restaurant taking some of the space from the MDR, which I've never seen 100% full.

My point to the poster who said that doing this for suites would erode the other passengers benefits, is that Celebrity already does this with Blu and Captain's Club Cocktail party, where not everyone can attend or use. Why is it fair to do these two things that take away from everyone's vacation that can't utilize them, but not to have a dedicated suite restaurant and lounge?

Seriously?

Blue is a space carved out and taken from the entire ship on the same ships you claim have less space, yet you don't want to loose the special space you've paid extra for.

I'm sorry if my post offends, this is not my intent. It is simply to point out that you seem to be fine with your special space, as long as it's YOU that has access, and someone else shouldn't have a different special space that you can't access.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Very well said, you hit the nail right on the head!

Seriously?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Bravo.

Seriously?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Excellent post!!!

Seriously?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

My sentiments exactly. Thank you for your perspective.

And suite guest pay much more than AQ passengers, so why can't they have their own restaurant like AQ guests do. If I understood correctly, they are not taking Blu away, they will build a new restaurant taking some of the space from the MDR, which I've never seen 100% full.

My point to the poster who said that doing this for suites would erode the other passengers benefits, is that Celebrity already does this with Blu and Captain's Club Cocktail party, where not everyone can attend or use. Why is it fair to do these two things that take away from everyone's vacation that can't utilize them, but not to have a dedicated suite restaurant and lounge?

Agreed.

In my limited number of sailings with Celebrity (see signature below), I have stayed in an inside cabin, concierge class cabin, standard balcony cabin, and an Aqua Class Suite (also booked in an A2 Aqua Class cabin later this year). When I sail on NCL, I stay in a suite in The Haven. On RCCL, it was a Junior Suite and on HAL, a partially obstructed balcony. My point for listing out the different types of staterooms I have stayed in is to say that I have had a variety of experiences on cruise ships that come with an array of amenities applicable to those types of staterooms. I book these different types of cruise vacations based on what I want out of my cruise, but also because of the value I receive from each cruise line for these different accommodations. In every case, my "expectations" were calibrated accordingly.

I don't have status with other cruise lines and won't have Elite status with Celebrity till after my TA later this year. Therefore, I cannot attend the Elite functions that occur on board in public spaces that would routinely be open to all passengers. Will I be upset by that? No, not at all. I also don't think negatively about the cruise line just because they took away my potential enjoyment of a public venue.

The different cruise lines all do different things that try to appeal to the largest percentage of passengers in order to keep the ships full and keep the passengers relatively happy. Each cruise line chooses to reward those passengers for their loyalty in different ways. For example, there are the roped off areas near the pool on RCCL to be used exclusively by suite guests. So many days more than half of this space would remain vacant. To me, it seemed like a waste.

The cruise lines have to "evolve" in order to remain competitive and also feel like they are providing value to each customer on their cruise vacation. I have always felt that Celebrity was lagging in this effort, especially at the suite level. This has influenced why I typically don't book a suite on Celebrity. If there are venues that are underperforming, it does not make good business sense to keep them or keep them in the form that they are. For example, I love great craft beer, but I have only every stepped foot in Michael's Club to see what the space looked like. It routinely was empty or with few passengers anytime I ever passed by on the way to dinner at Blu or a specialty restaurant. I think that Celebrity could move the craft beer selections into Cellar Masters and share this venue space together without adversely impacting either operation. Imagine all the couples where one person loves wine and the other loves beer. Both can be satisfied together.

Regardless which type of stateroom accommodation you choose or level of loyalty you have earned, your cruise should be an enjoyable time to look forward to... not to worry about what other passengers are getting (or not getting). I look at each and every vacation as an opportunity to enjoy life, relax, and have fun.... but knowing that we all are not so lucky to have these opportunities. When I read through most of the posts for this thread (and others like it), I just shake my head and wonder if some of these people are ever happy in life.

Edited by vulcan1971
updated last paragraph for grammar

I have no qualms with more perks for suites but it is disappointing that Michaels club will be gone on the M class ships as well as the S ships (not that big a deal). Also if its true that Bistro on 5 is history that is another loss for the rest of us. I enjoyed eating at the Bistro especially on sea days and Michael's was a welcome recluse. I am also annoyed at Celebrity's new policy of more noise thru-out the ship (see the Martini bar). On the S class ships there are very few if any places left on the ship where you can hear yourself think. Class distinction is no big deal as are added ammenities but the loss of valuable common space should not be taken lightly. Already on all the ships common space has been taken away to create new suites and cabins (see Observation lounge) and this trend makes life aboard a ship less appealing. The only plus for me is that it may mean more profits to RCl and a higher stock price other than that its all negative. Too bad Celebrity-shame on you.

Rodan

One of the things that made cruising so popular with the masses was the class-less system. No matter where your cabin, you had the same food, same entertainment, same amenities as everyone else.

I wonder if going back to the class system will make an impact on people who have not yet taken a cruise?

Sue

I have no qualms with more perks for suites but it is disappointing that Michaels club will be gone on the M class ships as well as the S ships (not that big a deal). Also if its true that Bistro on 5 is history that is another loss for the rest of us. I enjoyed eating at the Bistro especially on sea days and Michael's was a welcome recluse. I am also annoyed at Celebrity's new policy of more noise thru-out the ship (see the Martini bar). On the S class ships there are very few if any places left on the ship where you can hear yourself think. Class distinction is no big deal as are added ammenities but the loss of valuable common space should not be taken lightly. Already on all the ships common space has been taken away to create new suites and cabins (see Observation lounge) and this trend makes life aboard a ship less appealing. The only plus for me is that it may mean more profits to RCl and a higher stock price other than that its all negative. Too bad Celebrity-shame on you.

Rodan

I believe someone said that on facebook Celebrity said Bistro on 5 remains as is.

One of the things that made cruising so popular with the masses was the class-less system. No matter where your cabin, you had the same food, same entertainment, same amenities as everyone else.

I wonder if going back to the class system will make an impact on people who have not yet taken a cruise?

Sue

Not true on Celebrity. Those in AQ class could eat in Blu while others couldn't. Also, Elite tier passengers had the cocktail party and the Elite breakfast that the masses couldn't attend.

Edited by NLH Arizona

In my limited number of sailings with Celebrity (see signature below), I have stayed in an inside cabin, concierge class cabin, standard balcony cabin, and an Aqua Class Suite (also booked in an A2 Aqua Class cabin later this year). When I sail on NCL, I stay in a suite in The Haven. On RCCL, it was a Junior Suite and on HAL, a partially obstructed balcony. My point for listing out the different types of staterooms I have stayed in is to say that I have had a variety of experiences on cruise ships that come with an array of amenities applicable to those types of staterooms. I book these different types of cruise vacations based on what I want out of my cruise, but also because of the value I receive from each cruise line for these different accommodations. In every case, my "expectations" were calibrated accordingly.

I don't have status with other cruise lines and won't have Elite status with Celebrity till after my TA later this year. Therefore, I cannot attend the Elite functions that occur on board in public spaces that would routinely be open to all passengers. Will I be upset by that? No, not at all. I also don't think negatively about the cruise line just because they took away my potential enjoyment of a public venue.

The different cruise lines all do different things that try to appeal to the largest percentage of passengers in order to keep the ships full and keep the passengers relatively happy. Each cruise line chooses to reward those passengers for their loyalty in different ways. For example, there are the roped off areas near the pool on RCCL to be used exclusively by suite guests. So many days more than half of this space would remain vacant. To me, it seemed like a waste.

The cruise lines have to "evolve" in order to remain competitive and also feel like they are providing value to each customer on their cruise vacation. I have always felt that Celebrity was lagging in this effort, especially at the suite level. This has influenced why I typically don't book a suite on Celebrity. If there are venues that are underperforming, it does not make good business sense to keep them or keep them in the form that they are. For example, I love great craft beer, but I have only every stepped foot in Michael's Club to see what the space looked like. It routinely was empty or with few passengers anytime I ever passed by on the way to dinner at Blu or a specialty restaurant. I think that Celebrity could move the craft beer selections into Cellar Masters and share this venue space together without adversely impacting either operation. Imagine all the couples where one person loves wine and the other loves beer. Both can be satisfied together.

Regardless which type of stateroom accommodation you choose or level of loyalty you have earned, your cruise should be an enjoyable time to look forward to... not to worry about what other passengers are getting (or not getting). I look at each and every vacation as an opportunity to enjoy life, relax, and have fun.... but knowing that we all are not so lucky to have these opportunities. When I read through most of the posts for this thread (and others like it), I just shake my head and wonder if some of these people are ever happy in life.

Very well said.

Well said!

To me it is not Celebrity that has set up a "class system", but only those who do so in their own minds. Celebrity has various cabins for various guest and those cabin come come with various amenities depending on which cabin "you choose". Do you want a balcony or not? Do you want a larger room or not. Do you want to eat in Blu or not. You make the choice, not Celebrity. They never say you can't have a balcony or a suite, because you don't have the right station in life, or because of your heritage, or anything truly associated with a class based system.

Now if we want to talk about losing a restaurant or other establishment let's do so, but with a proper focus and not one based on fear of being socially out cast. Until we see the corporate email that says so I don't believe that a class based system was ever Celebrity's intention.

Now, moving forward, I only went to the crepe restaurant once and in was delicious. I did not go again, as there were so many other options for our 7 night cruise. I did notice I was crowded some times and other times only had a few diners. I would prefer that it stay if possible. Maybe another specialty restaurant could offer crepes during breakfast and lunch.

Edited by Chitown12562

Both my wife and I enjoy cruising but there are some elements of cruising that annoy us. While sometimes I question some of the changes, the only thing I look at is whether it will be a major impact to us during our cruise. Our findings are always no. However, for others, it is Chicken Little and the world is ending. The list of world ending events include:

1. The new cruising caste system with the new benefits to be provided to suite owners.

2. The loud music in the Martini Bar (in other words, music we don't like)

3. Children on Celebrity (this an upscale cruise line after all).

I guess I just don't relate and I find this, and as it the case with other things, completely blown out of proportion.

Both my wife and I enjoy cruising but there are some elements of cruising that annoy us. While sometimes I question some of the changes, the only thing I look at is whether it will be a major impact to us during our cruise. Our findings are always no. However, for others, it is Chicken Little and the world is ending. The list of world ending events include:

1. The new cruising caste system with the new benefits to be provided to suite owners.

2. The loud music in the Martini Bar (in other words, music we don't like)

3. Children on Celebrity (this an upscale cruise line after all).

I guess I just don't relate and I find this, and as it the case with other things, completely blown out of proportion.

I 100% totally agree with you!

Oy. Nothing puts up folks' hackles than "class system" or the like.

A few observations:

I've sailed on Cunard. There is no "class system." You dine where the category you purchased is assigned to dine. Most everyone mingles during all the other times, and no one (or virtually no one) mentions their cabin category.

I say "virtually," because the few who did mention it were those with insecurities, either because they weren't in the Grills, or because they were, and were afraid that people didn't notice. These folks were few and far between, and the rest of us, no matter the category of our cabin, were too busy enjoying ourselves to be bothered with either type.

This is no different than what Celebrity provides now, or is proposing to provide. There will be a few "snobs" and a few "reverse snobs" on any given cruise, from Regent, Cunard, Crystal and Seaborne, to Carnival and NCL. Avoid them, and you'll have a great time, with or without that 1000 sq.ft. of space that might be devoted to this.

People have complained about the Elite lounge being "private," and taking away public space, but they fail to ackwoledge that every passenger has to be some place. These Elite cocktail parties are always "very well attended," causing me to find the Martini bar LESS crowded. In essence, the event gives you one less choice, but more availability and space in every other choice. If Michael's Club is given over to this, it will likely be MORE used than it is currently, creating fewer crowds in other venues.

Eleanor Roosevelt said it best: (paraphrased)The only one who can make you feel inferior is you, if you allow it.

Beyond that, just enjoy yourselves and stop worrying.

Andrew

Edited by Blazerboy

They can't take BLU away, since they've marketed that as a huge part of the AQ experience and have charged a substantial upgrade cost for the AQ experience . Big whoop.

At this point, if they were to deny access to BLU to those who paid for it, it would be a breach of contract.

Edited by 4cats4me

They can't take BLU away, since they've marketed that as a huge part of the AQ experience and have charged a substantial upgrade cost for the AQ experience . Big whoop.

At this point, if they were to deny access to BLU to those who paid for it, it would be a breach of contract.

Who said they are taking blu away? I said: If I understood correctly, they are not taking Blu away, they will build a new restaurant taking some of the space from the MDR, which I've never seen 100% full.

Seriously?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

no offense taken--

we have been enjoying BLU but if that is lost we would likely switch to our fav all inclusive... that's just our preference b/c we find the MDR on S class cavernous w/impersonal service.. and BLU keeps us coming back

BLU was designed as part of S class ships from the inception, so it was not an after thought like many things they have changed on bd..including swapping out the T pools on Century for a barber shop and Persian Gardens.and changing the nice plant area on M class into restaurants.., the acupunture area near cabins on M class...etc. Each of these add ons to an existing ship shrinks public space that was not contemplated when the ship was built.. As it is X ships are a bit short on space to cram in all the things everyone wants and to get more for Celebs bottom line. The only wasted space has been the Lawn but now that is taken over by pvt booths hwihc are often empty.....

. Suites would be fine to have Murano or some other area but for us we can't afford a suite so would not want to lose BLU..

BTW the AQ cabins have huge overhangs and are under an active deck & are not the best locations on bd-- so the BLU concept was a great selling feature for these accomodations. That's likee the original Concierge Class cabins..they were made a special class with more perks to sell those overhang cabins

anyhow, celeb has not really disappointed us with any of its bigger changes so we'll see what rolls out... but for us without BLU it would not be the same..

Who said they are taking blu away? I said: If I understood correctly, they are not taking Blu away, they will build a new restaurant taking some of the space from the MDR, which I've never seen 100% full.

that is good news!

the MDR is too big and impersonal..

We have not cruised with Cunard because of the two tier system, certain restaurants only available to guests in the top class cabins, etc, etc

We like Celebrity because they do not do that. We have found the passengers on Celebrity are a great mixed bunch. If, however, the suite guests were only to eat and drink in their defined areas then the mix of the ship changes.

We also spent a large part of our last cruise in Michael's club. So would be unhappy at this venue being taken from us.

Will it stop of choosing Celebrity? Possibly not but it does make us look around at other lines with more interest.

Quote from the Celebrity web site-:

"From one hemisphere to the other, there is a world of luxury aboard a Celebrity Cruise – and it is all yours to enjoy. "

They might have to change that to - "And some of it is yours to enjoy" !!!!

Great comments. Thanks. My husband and I have sailed in suites on Princess, Holland America, and Celebrity and, frankly, I think there are more than enough perks on Celebrity without introducing more.

Just to clarify. We wanted two cabins next to each other and the choice is either a Royal Suite and Aqua, a Royal Suite and Royal Suite or Royal Suite and Celebrity Suite on the Eclipse.

Not sure I understand the point you are making.

I never said that you said that BLU would be taken away.