Celebrity Cruises to Debut 'Ship Within a Ship' Concept

LauraS

Or maybe they work everyday with lots of people, from all walks of life, and on vacation, they just want to escape "the masses", have a quiet, exclusive experience, with all the amenities a large ship can offer.

There are many ways to look at things, if you're not stuck in a tower of any type.

Happy Sailing, whatever tower you chose,

Jenna

Well said, +2!!!

I would bet if they designated Michael's Club for only Elite and Elite+ tier passengers and someone complained, many of the Elite and Elite+ folks would say that they deserved it because they are loyal to Celebrity, just as they told people who complained about the word Elite as a tier to get over it. But now that it is for someone else, it is a problem. Go figure!!

I could care less what perks suite passengers get or Elite, Elite+ or Zenith passengers get. If Celebrity feels that they are entitled to those perks, good for them for getting them and they should take full advantage of them.

People should be more concerned with having a great vacation, then they are what others are getting.

Well said, +2!!!

I would bet if they designated Michael's Club for only Elite and Elite+ tier passengers and someone complained, many of the Elite and Elite+ folks would say that they deserved it because they are loyal to Celebrity, just as they told people who complained about the word Elite as a tier to get over it. But now that it is for someone else, it is a problem. Go figure!!

I could care less what perks suite passengers get or Elite, Elite+ or Zenith passengers get. If Celebrity feels that they are entitled to those perks, good for them for getting them and they should take full advantage of them.

People should be more concerned with having a great vacation, then they are what others are getting.[/quote)

I Concur with you. What business is it of mine if someone has nicer perks? I am just grateful to have the experience to travel. No one is being denied anything since they can pay the upcharge to have the extra perks if they feelthey're being slighted. I don't get on an airplane and harbor resentment just because someone else is able to afford first-class and I am in economy. Why is cruising any different?

I have traveled in inside cabins and obstructed views some years to be able to afford more cruises. I have also sprung for really nice full suites too but only went on one cruise as opposed to the 6 or 8 cruises we could have gone on had we booked inside cabins. People are paying dearly for these "suite perks" so they're not getting something for nothing. :rolleyes:

Edited by 4cats4me

I think there is a lot of mention on some of these types of threads about people worrying 'what others are getting'. In almost all cases, that is not at all what is being said, or what people care about. What I read, in most of the posts about any concerns about the new suite system, is concern about what might be taken away from the non-suite passengers in order to give more to the 'suite people', or how this change affected them. To me that is a way different perspective than thinking they care that suite passengers get more. I can tell you that is certainly the case for me. I don't give a hoot what others are getting until or if it takes something away from the personal cruise experience I have come to enjoy on my many Celebrity cruises.. Then I start to care. If Celebrity wants to treat suite passengers better (and presumably for a comparable suite price), then good for them. If it affects me, then any issue I may have is about that, not about the fact that suite passengers get more. Sorry if this sounds a little defensive, but the 'stop worrying about what others are getting' comments are regularly bandied about on these types of threads and it is really not about that at all in almost all cases. I can see why some would assume that, but I suspect in most cases that would be a very false and unfair assumption.

After reading all the comments on this forum, I think if having their "special areas" set aside makes them happy, what a tragedy. Often times the people in the world I admire the most and respect would not be in the "special area" and what a loss that would be. Just think what joy may be missed when isolated in our Ivory Towers, Just MHO

I agree with you! Actually, some of the happiest and wealthiest people I know are also the most unassuming and the least pretentious. On the other hand, I have met very wealthy people who were miserable and pretentious AND I have met not very wealthy people who were also miserable and pretentious. I guess I am glad that I know and am friends with people from all kinds of backgrounds. That's what makes life so interesting and "rich."

I think there is a lot of mention on some of these types of threads about people worrying 'what others are getting'. In almost all cases, that is not at all what is being said, or what people care about. What I read, in most of the posts about any concerns about the new suite system, is concern about what might be taken away from the non-suite passengers in order to give more to the 'suite people', or how this change affected them. To me that is a way different perspective than thinking they care that suite passengers get more. I can tell you that is certainly the case for me. I don't give a hoot what others are getting until or if it takes something away from the personal cruise experience I have come to enjoy on my many Celebrity cruises.. Then I start to care. If Celebrity wants to treat suite passengers better (and presumably for a comparable suite price), then good for them. If it affects me, then any issue I may have is about that, not about the fact that suite passengers get more. Sorry if this sounds a little defensive, but the 'stop worrying about what others are getting' comments are regularly bandied about on these types of threads and it is really not about that at all in almost all cases. I can see why some would assume that, but I suspect in most cases that would be a very false and unfair assumption.

Wouldn't the same be said for the designated lounge where the Elite cocktail party is at? That is an area that is taken away from the majority of the ship for a few everynight? Why is what they are doing now a problem, when that isn't?

I don't see a problem with it, (1) I've never been on a Celebrity cruise where all of the upstairs or downstairs in the dining room has been filled and I'm sure that Celebrity did their research before they decided to take some of the dining room and make it a "suite only" dining room, (2) other than the muster drill I've been to in Michael's, I've never seen it very full at all and (3) there are more than enough bars and lounges for everyone, don't think missing one will make any difference in how crowded the others are.

Sorry, but I do feel that many are way to concerned with what others get and feel that they are not being treated like loyal customers if they don't get the same thing. I can't remember which poster posted it (since the search doesn't work, I can't search for the post), but it was something to the effect that because the suite perks are a significant, Celebrity is saying they don't care about loyalty or their regular customers, only the suite customers - now wouldn't you agree that that poster is more concerned with what others are getting.

Edited by NLH Arizona

The same people would still be in the dining room, just in a different area. Many of them may not even use a separate area because they travel with others. It seems to work because people are not all dining in the MDR every night anyway.

Edited by Ma Bell

My problem is that this is just the tip of the iceberg (so to speak). I have no problem with suite passengers or elite groups having extra perks. Good luck to them. the setting aside of certain parts of the ship for upper class only does bother me. I started my cruising career in 1969 when ships were first/second class and we poor people were confined to the stern area of the ship. Still had a great time as we were early 20s and just partied. If they have a lounge area especially for suite people - fine. I can even cope with Blu but if this 'ship within a ship' plan starts encroaching on other parts of the ship and other areas suddenly become off limits - well, it's bye, bye time for me. There are certainly zillions of other holiday options in the world.

Let's all start complaining and anticipating the worst. Guess what, if they don't do what appeals to most people they won't be in business long. Businesses need to make changes in response to changing markets and just to renew themselves occasionally. At least give it a chance before complaining and then if we don't like it we can make another choice.

It just always seems that people like to anticipate the worst instead of the best.

My problem is that this is just the tip of the iceberg (so to speak). I have no problem with suite passengers or elite groups having extra perks. Good luck to them. the setting aside of certain parts of the ship for upper class only does bother me. I started my cruising career in 1969 when ships were first/second class and we poor people were confined to the stern area of the ship. Still had a great time as we were early 20s and just partied. If they have a lounge area especially for suite people - fine. I can even cope with Blu but if this 'ship within a ship' plan starts encroaching on other parts of the ship and other areas suddenly become off limits - well, it's bye, bye time for me. There are certainly zillions of other holiday options in the world.

In your case, the exploration of other holiday options might be very appropriate.

Just curious, were there similar complaints when the AQ concept was launched?

What I can't understand is why so many feel like they will have very few places to go or that space will be extremely limited for non suite people

These ships are huge. There are so many venues , and a lot of times we cruise without having gone to every venue, so if one venue is closed to You why not try another venue that you wouldn't have gone to but for the fact that your preferred venue is now off limits?

A good example that comes to mind for me is when we were traveling with our elite companions last year, they attended the cocktail hour In the sky lounge every night between 5 and 6. because we could not attend with them, we made ourselves at home at the martini bar. We didn't feel slighted that that

Venue was off limits to us. There were plenty of other places to have fun.

On another celebrity forum someone went so far as to suggest that BLU would be taken away from AQ guests altogether and converted to the suites-only restaurant lol :rolleyes:

Edited by 4cats4me

A good example that comes to mind for me is when we were traveling with our elite companions last year, they attended the cocktail hour In the sky lounge every night between 5 and 6. because we could not attend with them, we made ourselves at home at the martini bar. We didn't feel slighted that that

Venue was off limits to us. There were plenty of other places to have fun.

Many of us book cruises as a way to get together with family or friends whom we seldom have the chance to see otherwise.

When we travel with companions whom we have not seen in a long time, we want to enjoy meals and cocktail hours together.

So unless they are also elite or above, we will not attend elite events without them.

Among the pleasures of cruising together with people we care about are enjoying drinks and meals together.

It is not a matter of anyone being slighted.

If we are in a suite and they are not, we still all want to have dinner together in the same restaurant.

When booking a suite, I would rather pay extra to eat in a special restaurant when I choose to eat there, instead of paying to have a special restaurant for suite passengers automatically included in the cost of the suite regardless of whether or not I will use it.

Edited by varoo

We are elite+ but after our last cruise had decided that we would not cruise again on Celeberity because of the continued decline of the QUALITY of the food even in the specialty restaurants. We will sail less often but choose better quality. I don't need a bigger suite, but I do want good food. Celebrity has beautiful ships, but that is not enough for me. I am willing to pay more for a much better dining experience.

I see passengers paying for all kind of things that I wouldn't want or can't afford.

I don' t pay extra for a alcove but many do and like being in their private world.

I don't pay extra and won't to dine in a alternative restuarant, many do.

I don't pay for a message or any other spa treatments, many do.

I can go on and on about stuff that people pay extra for.

I don't book a inside but many do and that is what they want.

If someone wants to spent about 4 ytimes waht it cost me for the same cruise I down have a problem with them getting some special perks. It happens now with those in CC and AQ. It all depends o how anyone wants to spend their money.

People with a inside don't get a window or a balcony with their cabin and get a different room service menu. The same is for other categories. Additonal perks are already being added for higher categories so what is really changing? Nothing except for more perks for those at the top. Want those perks than pay for them or just be happy that you can afford to cruise, many can't and I have never seen where being able to cruise is guaranteed by any country.

Sure things aren't like they use to be and I am glad because if it was I wouldn't be able to cruise and most of us wouldn't either.

🚢🌅🍸🍻

People in insides don't get a different room service menu! It's the same for inside, OV and balcony cabins. CC and Aquas breakfast menu has a few more offerings but the daytime menu is the same for all.

Many of us book cruises as a way to get together with family or friends whom we seldom have the chance to see otherwise.

When we travel with companions whom we have not seen in a long time, we want to enjoy meals and cocktail hours together.

So unless they are also elite or above, we will not attend elite events without them.

Among the pleasures of cruising together with people we care about are enjoying drinks and meals together.

It is not a matter of anyone being slighted.

If we are in a suite and they are not, we still all want to have dinner together in

the same restaurant.

When booking a suite, I would rather pay extra to eat in a special restaurant when I choose to eat there, instead of paying to have a special restaurant for suite passengers automatically included in the cost of the suite regardless of whether or not I will use it.

It worked out well for us. Our friends went to the Elite hour in Sky lounge and then afterwards we all hooked up for dinner every night at 6:15 , which was plenty of quality time spent together, in addition to attending shows together, going on excursions , et cet.

Hubby and I never felt slighted, nor would we expect our friends to sacrifice their perk to spend even more "quality " time with us:rolleyes:

I can see why Celebrity would try this - it certainly has been done in the past. However, I am not completely sure it will have the desired effect. There's no question that this says "we value our suite passengers" but they also run the risk of eroding the apparent benefits or perhaps alienating the repeat loyal Captain's Club members that sail often and more importantly, repeatedly in the "lower" classes. It would be interesting to know what the repeat rate is for suite vs. other classes and to determine whether it's worth the risk. Time will tell.

We are new to Celebrity but not to suites (Royal and NCL). We know what we like and what we want when travelling. I make no apology for wanting and enjoying a ship within a ship experience or travelling in comfort. We like the more international feel and service of the American ships. We like the big ship experience and facilities in doses that we control. With a party of 5 consisting of 4 generations, we want different things and interests but like to get together to eat and chill. If that makes us snobs to some so be it but we pay for it.

We are planning a Baltic cruise for Summer 2015 and were considering Celebrity but before the announced changes were still undecided. The plan was a Royal Suite and an Aqua Class cabin. We were irritated by the Blu situation that those of us in the Royal Suite would only be able to eat dinner on a space available basis and were trying to work out if this was a deal breaker and book another line. We thought it odd that Celebrity as the luxury end of the RCCI brand offered less to suite customers than the "lessor" Royal Caribbean ships. We did Alaska last year on the Radiance but wanted to try something else and our 2 previous Royal cruises make us Select. The suite offerings/amenities are part of the decision process and we felt that booking 2 suites were not worth the extra as they offered little by way of extras for the additional cost. The recent announcement has changed our minds. The Celebrity offering is now looking a lot more attractive and we have decided to book a Royal Suite and a Celebrity Suite so we can all have the same access to the new amenities. I would guess that our decision to book two suites instead of one is the outcome that Celebrity is hoping for by making its proposed changes.

We have not cruised with Cunard because of the two tier system, certain restaurants only available to guests in the top class cabins, etc, etc

We like Celebrity because they do not do that. We have found the passengers on Celebrity are a great mixed bunch. If, however, the suite guests were only to eat and drink in their defined areas then the mix of the ship changes.

We also spent a large part of our last cruise in Michael's club. So would be unhappy at this venue being taken from us.

Will it stop of choosing Celebrity? Possibly not but it does make us look around at other lines with more interest.

Quote from the Celebrity web site-:

"From one hemisphere to the other, there is a world of luxury aboard a Celebrity Cruise – and it is all yours to enjoy. "

They might have to change that to - "And some of it is yours to enjoy" !!!!

Edited by jomf

Let's all start complaining and anticipating the worst. Guess what, if they don't do what appeals to most people they won't be in business long. Businesses need to make changes in response to changing markets and just to renew themselves occasionally. At least give it a chance before complaining and then if we don't like it we can make another choice.

It just always seems that people like to anticipate the worst instead of the best.

I'm with Ma on this one. For me this is a non-issue and a 'who cares' moment. Good on Celebrity for willing to change and respond to market forces. I'm willing to let them implement these changes and see if the overall experience for me changes significantly, which I highly doubt. But then again, I am not the overall market, and if the overall market overall reacts negatively to these changes (irregardless of what my experience is as an individual) the company will have to respond accordingly or face some serious economic hardship.

Now if Celebrity ever responded to market forces and dropped Formal wear :eek: that would be a biggie!!;)

Each to their own. One question does spring to mind though. Where will the 'suite only' restaurant be? Will it be part of the main dining room (there is a section on each side which can be shut off), or are they building it in another area on the ship?

Ian

I can see why Celebrity would try this - it certainly has been done in the past. However, I am not completely sure it will have the desired effect. There's no question that this says "we value our suite passengers" but they also run the risk of eroding the apparent benefits or perhaps alienating the repeat loyal Captain's Club members that sail often and more importantly, repeatedly in the "lower" classes. It would be interesting to know what the repeat rate is for suite vs. other classes and to determine whether it's worth the risk. Time will tell.

Other than possibly some space taken away, which had already been done to the other customers with the Elite cocktail hour and Blu, how would it erode the benefits or alienate Captain's Club members, other than someone will be getting something that they won't, which again happens to other customers with the Elite cocktail party and Blu? Actually to make it fair, maybe they should discontinue the Elite cocktail party or open it to all and the same for Blu, open it to all. That way no one would be getting something (in a public space) that everyone isn't getting. Now wouldn't that be fair?

Edited by NLH Arizona

I guess I don't understand the uproar. So I assume that the same people who are opposed to this concept only fly Southwest and Jet Blue because they aren't comfortable unegalitarian nature of business and first class. While I don't see the value in suites, we are rarely in the cabin, I don't see how this will impact one's cruise. Sure there will be a lost of some space but I don't think it is any different than when an area is closed for a Captain's Club event, etc.

Some Celeb ships like Reflection, have more space to work with so the concept would not impact other pax that much...but other ships do not have room for many more private areas and that could be a concern

.....There have already been carve outs of the once spacious upper lounge/nightclub area, squeezing in new restaurants and limited time frames now for use of Michaels which was once open to all... I believe there are also spaces in the MDR reserved "my time dining.". Other once public spaces (like the two tiered music room or libraray on M class have gone to other uses like acupuncture and this trend inclreasingly limits where regular pax can enjoy some space.

If we lose BLU in AQ we would have to re-evaluate sailing with X if we could not afford the suite.

Would they take away Muranos, Tuscan, Silk Harvest--guess that's the big question...

quote from prior poster : Actually to make it fair, maybe they should discontinue the Elite cocktail party or open it to all and the same for Blu, open it to all. That way no one would be getting something (in a public space) that everyone isn't getting. Now wouldn't that be fair?

Guess it would be fair for all to use BLU, esp if you pay the higher fare like AQ pax do as well..Maybe we should all get suites for the same lower fare as an inside!

anyhow time will tell how this will work out..