Celebrity Cruises to Debut 'Ship Within a Ship' Concept

LauraS

To me they are not different and I am not in favor of closing down public venues in prime time. There is an area for Elites to meet and when that overflows, I like the voucher system in your example.

I would ask you, please explain how they are different?

Elites are meeting in a public venue that is being closed down during prime time, just as it is for other functions, so there is no different at all. If you don't want venues closed, then that should include the elite cocktail party as well. I for one have no problem with any venue being closed during anytime for a private function; I can always go somewhere else to an open venue.

Edited by NLH Arizona

The area for Elites to meet is a public venue that is being closed down during prime time just as others are for different groups, so they are not different at all. If you don't want venues closed, then that should include the elite cocktail party as well. I for one have no problem with any venue being closed during anytime for a private function; I can always go somewhere else to an open venue.

The Elite area used to be held in Michaels, on M class, that was not being used and considered for reconfiguration. When up in the Reflections lounge as an example on Constellation, it was limited to a partial side of the venue whereby others could still use the facility. If they have taken over the whole Reflections lounge, then I am NOT in favor of it. You can go where you want. Others book a cruise looking forward to a previously enjoyed venue that was not closed to them and I would think are not aware of the change prior to booking and boarding the ship and only then find out that it is closed to them. Or they could go to another open venue without the nice view that they were expecting if using the Reflections Lounge as an example. On our last S class cruise on Eclipse, we did not even go to CC cocktail hour as our traveling friends were on their first Celebrity cruise and we chose to spend time with them. I would be very disappointed to find that the Reflections lounge is closed every evening from 4 to 9 pm, but that apparently is me.

I can see Celebrity as has Royal, creating more areas for specific classes of passengers whether by cabin type or reward program and I think that is not the best in the long run, but most passengers in future will not know the changes. As to your point about going to another venue, we all have that choice and at times are required to make the best of it which we do.

No sure what your point is other that we have different points of view on this.

Edited by shipshape sam

Actually, if your comment is correct (having no trouble filling suites) then I guess my thought would be why give them more bang for their buck? Why spend more money on suite guests, while at the same time risking annoying (or worse) the large majority, if they are having no problem filling suites?? Makes no sense to me.

So they can charge more money for those suites that are already full.

Only way to grow revenue if they are always already full is to charge more for them.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

I have been on Aqua class, so I am familiar with that. But we always still mingle with others.

The suite passengers I know, like to mingle with the rest of us. :)

I'm one of those :D ...I've let several of my included specialty dining meals go unused as I quite enjoy the MDR and meeting new people. It's nice to meet in MDR and then later in week have dinner in a specialty where it's quieter than the MDR if the opportunity arises.

I Don't really think the suite guests are going to use the Michaels lounge all that much, (with only about 50 cabins eligible, there would only be 100 people in there if EVERYONE eligible was there maximum right?) but I've never really seen ANYONE use it all that much unless Perry Grant is in there.

And the new planned Suite Dining room, no different than BLU in concept is it?

Specialty dining rooms, one could say only upper class people can afford them, so let's lose all those too. And no need to carry any premium liquor anymore, we don't want to offend those on a budget that don't want to pay an extra $2 for a higher priced vodka. Certainly not having a class system means losing entirely the Captains Club program and all it's levels, Zenith being out of the realm of possibility for most - there should only be one level so all are equal. Gelato for an extra $5, how dare those people show off their elitism when there's free ice cream on the buffet. Same for Bistro on 5. We should lose the espresso and cappuccino, there's free coffee for everyone available all over the place. Why is there duty fee on board? not everyone has that kind of spare coin laying around, why make me watch someone buy an expensive watch? Issue jumpsuits as the uniform to be worn by all passengers so we don't have to be embarrassed because I can't afford the guck loafers the guy next to me is wearing, that snob. And cellar masters, $400 for a bottle of champagne, they should choose 1 red 1 white and 1 sparkling in generic bottles, no need for all that variety and variation in cost. Just 3 boxes of wine will do for everyone.

And those talking about a class system now due to the new DR, get real....we can say inside cabins are 1 class, ocean view another etc.... where does it stop.

Maybe ships should go back to no verandas and fewer cabin type options, that way everyone will be equally happy (miserable?) ...Maybe even put the chamber pots back instead of toilets if we REALLY want the alleged good old days...?

Edited by cle-guy

To me this is just one more reason NOT to pay extra for a suite. Being segregated and forced into the company of other suite passengers doesn't really appeal to me.

I think you may have underestimated the "snob appeal" of being protected from regular cruise ship passenger "riff raff."

We have gotten suites on Celebrity on the past.We spent far too much time in our cabin "enjoying" the suite. Plus, a butler was included. We never knew what to do with a butler! We no longer book suites. I am with you on this, but I am also aware of the "elitist" attitude.

Unfortunately THE QUALITY HAS GONE DOWN ALREADY FOR EVERYBODY WHO IS NOT ON AQUA CLASS OR SUITE.

On our last cruise onboard the Solstice, a very common answer at the main dining room was:" sorry it is not available at the MDR anymore. It is offered only for Aqua Class Passengers or for Suite guests". We felt already a very strong class system being enforced by the Scottish manager at the MDR.

Hey, still wondering what items were only available for Aqua Class and Suite passengers that use to be in the MDR. I've got two cruises booked and if my favorite things are not available in the MDR, I don't have a problem upgrading.

Please let us know what was only for the Aqua and Suite passengers.

Thanks.

I'm one of those :D ...I've let several of my included specialty dining meals go unused as I quite enjoy the MDR and meeting new people. It's nice to meet in MDR and then later in week have dinner in a specialty where it's quieter than the MDR if the opportunity arises.

I Don't really think the suite guests are going to use the Michaels lounge all that much, (with only about 50 cabins eligible, there would only be 100 people in there if EVERYONE eligible was there maximum right?) but I've never really seen ANYONE use it all that much unless Perry Grant is in there.

And the new planned Suite Dining room, no different than BLU in concept is it?

Specialty dining rooms, one could say only upper class people can afford them, so let's lose all those too. And no need to carry any premium liquor anymore, we don't want to offend those on a budget that don't want to pay an extra $2 for a higher priced vodka. Certainly not having a class system means losing entirely the Captains Club program and all it's levels, Zenith being out of the realm of possibility for most - there should only be one level so all are equal. Gelato for an extra $5, how dare those people show off their elitism when there's free ice cream on the buffet. Same for Bistro on 5. We should lose the espresso and cappuccino, there's free coffee for everyone available all over the place. Why is there duty fee on board? not everyone has that kind of spare coin laying around, why make me watch someone buy an expensive watch? Issue jumpsuits as the uniform to be worn by all passengers so we don't have to be embarrassed because I can't afford the guck loafers the guy next to me is wearing, that snob. And cellar masters, $400 for a bottle of champagne, they should choose 1 red 1 white and 1 sparkling in generic bottles, no need for all that variety and variation in cost. Just 3 boxes of wine will do for everyone.

And those talking about a class system now due to the new DR, get real....we can say inside cabins are 1 class, ocean view another etc.... where does it stop.

Maybe ships should go back to no verandas and fewer cabin type options, that way everyone will be equally happy (miserable?) ...Maybe even put the chamber pots back instead of toilets if we REALLY want the alleged good old days...?

Bam! I LOVE IT! Way to put it all in perspective cle-guy! I especially like the idea of jumpsuits as a uniform. I won't have to pack much at all. I draw the line at my wine though. Don't try to serve me boxed wine. I mean it! :) Haha!

-Toni

We just got Reflection with an AQ room. DW had them bring escargot and sea bass to Blu from the MDR. Obviously not everything was moved from the MDR menu to Blu.

It must have been very dramatic on the Solstic (one ship I have a cruised booked for), if the poster complained. Here is what poster said: On our last cruise onboard the Solstice, a very common answer at the main dining room was:" sorry it is not available at the MDR anymore. It is offered only for Aqua Class Passengers or for Suite guests"

I just wish that travelberlin would come back and let us know what we can't get any more in the MDR.

So they can charge more money for those suites that are already full.

Only way to grow revenue if they are always already full is to charge more for them.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

Another reason is to attract people like me. We left Celebrity because the perceived value of the suite cost did not match the value of the perks received. With the new suite program, I now perceive there to be value and we now have 3 cruises booked with Celebrity.

It must have been very dramatic on the Solstic (one ship I have a cruised booked for), if the poster complained. Here is what poster said: On our last cruise onboard the Solstice, a very common answer at the main dining room was:" sorry it is not available at the MDR anymore. It is offered only for Aqua Class Passengers or for Suite guests"

I just wish that travelberlin would come back and let us know what we can't get any more in the MDR.

Your wishes are granted. I do not know what is important for you but I guess that is not the point, since I am reporting on our experience and what is relevant to us.

We have received the no availability answer when we have ordered mixed berries, which used to be available at breakfast in the main dining room. Also a special type of dark bread (with plums), which used to be available at dining time.

We have received the answer, both items were available at blu but not in the MDR anymore. If I am properly informed only Aqua Class passengers and, subject to availability, suite passengers are allowed to have breakfast at blu.

Your wishes are granted. I do not know what is important for you but I guess that is not the point, since I am reporting on our experience and what is relevant to us.

We have received the no availability answer when we have ordered mixed berries, which used to be available at breakfast in the main dining room. Also a special type of dark bread (with plums), which used to be available at dining time.

We have received the answer, both items were available at blu but not in the MDR anymore. If I am properly informed only Aqua Class passengers and, subject to availability, suite passengers are allowed to have breakfast at blu.

Thank you, glad it was just a couple of items. I'm happy that it wasn't the French onion soup, otherwise I would have had to upgrade to Aqua class. It is my favorite item on the menu. Thank you again.

Elites are meeting in a public venue that is being closed down during prime time, just as it is for other functions, so there is no different at all. If you don't want venues closed, then that should include the elite cocktail party as well. I for one have no problem with any venue being closed during anytime for a private function; I can always go somewhere else to an open venue.

Since you have a cruise booked with Solstice, let me inform you that, on our last 35 days cruise on board the Solstice, we Elite members were not meeting on a venue, which was only for Elites and plus. We shared the venue with the card players.

Thank you, glad it was just a couple of items. I'm happy that it wasn't the French onion soup, otherwise I would have had to upgrade to Aqua class. It is my favorite item on the menu. Thank you again.

You are welcome. We do not know if other items, are not available anymore. I can assure to you that the French onion soup is available.

To continue with the berries example, the first time we order it, it was brought to us by a friendly waiter. The second time, another waiter brought the Manager instead, who told us that it was not allow for us to have the berries because of the reason mentioned in my previous post. When we asked if she could not make an exemption she said no, since those were instructions from headquarters. Kind of strange that headquarters provides instructions in relation to mixed berries.... Lets hope they will not touch your French onion soup.

I couldn't care less about the new perks for suite passengers, but I'm really disappointed that they are taking over Michael's Club on the M class ships. This was our favorite bar to frequent at night since they ruined the martini bar with that ridiculously noisy ice covered thing they have now. Michael's Club on the S class ships is always empty, but on the M class ships it always seems to be a great place to hang out especially when they have live entertainment.

Lol!! We sailed on celebrity for the first time last year and booked another just because of that martini bar!! Lovedddddd ittttt! Different strokes for different folks!

We avoid the smaller elite lines because I don't want someone to now my name and exactly what I want every night. I don't want to no my steward personally! We have been occasional cruisers mainly with NCL for that reason. Thank goodness other lines, like celebrity, are starting to have more chooses like select dinning. We have not booked a suite, I just can't justify the difference in price!

...The price is so high for the top suites on Celebrity, I have to wonder why those who can afford to sail in them do not choose a luxury line instead, other than the fact that on Celebrity, they may feel more special in comparison to the rest of the passengers.

Brenda, I had to stop cruising Crystal because they only have four accessible cabins on their ships, and unless I can book wayyyyy out, their accessible cabins are always booked at least 2 years out. It's the same for the other luxury lines
Another reason for not choosing a luxury line is that many suite passengers like to cruise with family and friends who either cannot afford the luxury lines, or simply prefer not to spend their money that way.

We like to dine in Blu, our only reason for booking aqua class, but will not book aqua class when traveling with companions who are not in aqua class because we all want to dine together.

I would prefer to see them upgrade the suite experience by giving suite passengers additional perks in their suites, and vouchers for more freebies outside the suites, instead of further segregating passengers in the public areas of the ship.

Edited by varoo

We booked a celeb suite last year and loved it as it was, no need for additional perks in my book and quite happy to dine with anyone and everyone. it is surely the differences between us that create the most interesting conversation be it due to economic, social or cultural differences. I can just about understand the separate dining room idea in that it aligns with the Blu concept and actually it was slightly odd as a suite passenger that whilst I was allowed to eat in Blu it was only on the basis that they could find us a table and at an additional charge and not as of right. Frankly if they just extended Blu and made it for suites and AQ that would have suited me fine. (The MDR on celebrity needs some work to improve it compared to other lines even at a supposedly lower level). As for a suite only lounge then I suspect that after the first night the space will be empty. There are so many great bars and different entertainment options around the ship that I cannot for the life of me imagine spending evening after evening trapped in some elite enclave even if it was full of well to do people. Maybe if I was a life assurance salesman??. The new lounge would have to embody all the qualities of the martini bar, the molecular bar and Michaels bar on specific evenings to suit me for it to work which is physically impossible. Basically unless you are of a mind that anyone below your income bracket is not worth communicating with ( in which case why choose a large celebrity ship in the first place) spending every night in the suites lounge is going to be nothing more than opting for a well upholstered cell with first class warders.

The biggest impact for me and many others is likely to be the loss of micheals bar which is a real shame. The idea of having a bar that focuses on craft beers was a real plus for me in choosing celebrity ( not every night but as an interesting and enjoyable option). As a suite customer I would prefer to keep Micheals Bar and forgo the suites only lounge. The suites restaurant would be ok but it will be interesting to see if there is anything less than $90 on the wine list and what they will do to raise the cuisine and service standards, else why bother.

Edited by scifimonkey

spending every night in the suites lounge is going to be nothing more than opting for a well upholstered cell with first class warders.

The idea of having a bar that focuses on craft beers was a real plus for me in choosing celebrity

That's a great analogy about michaels, I always felt like I was in a cell the couel time I wandered in.

I suppose it's more like a hotel concierge lounge, usually empty except for popping in for a snack or drink throughout the day, and busy at cocktail hour and useful to have a dedicated person to help arrange tours and such. The suite concierge ha ben actively approaching suite guests to try and sell enhanced excursions etc. I imagine that's THEIR new focus, push excursions and add ons for extra $$$. Probably why it was changed already, as it has potential to drive revenue from that perspective.

And do know the beers are moving to Wine cellars, not going away. They are removing the wine machines. Not sure if the whole range of beer is staying but that's where they are moving. Cellar also was often underused, maybe having beer and wine, it'll get some more use and be a more sociable place.

I suppose it's more like a hotel concierge lounge, usually empty except for popping in for a snack or drink throughout the day, and busy at cocktail hour and useful to have a dedicated person to help arrange tours and such. The suite concierge ha ben actively approaching suite guests to try and sell enhanced excursions etc. I imagine that's THEIR new focus, push excursions and add ons for extra $$$. Probably why it was changed already, as it has potential to drive revenue from that perspective.

We have enjoyed concierge services with NCL, RCCL and Disney Cruise Line and never felt that they were pushing excursions and add ons. Completely the opposite, the concierge is there to help you and make your life easier, something that Celebrity was lacking even though the butlers are wonderful. Waiting for your report after the TA. Happy cruising!:)

We have enjoyed concierge services with NCL, RCCL and Disney Cruise Line and never felt that they were pushing excursions and add ons. Completely the opposite, the concierge is there to help you and make your life easier, something that Celebrity was lacking even though the butlers are wonderful. Waiting for your report after the TA. Happy cruising!:)

What I'm saying is they are and do.... My last cruise in March, I had a letter waiting with a selection of exclusive offerings from the suite concierge, got several additional cards and offerings delivered to my cabin, and had a phone call to discuss and voicemail offering services.

They are definitely there to push sales. I feel the butler is there mostly for making life comfortable and fills that role.

Of course the concierge will do all sorts of free things, but that they are now reaching out in advance of cruises and providing all these extra pushes to fancy excursions, that's to bring $$ in.

What I'm saying is they are and do.... My last cruise in March, I had a letter waiting with a selection of exclusive offerings from the suite concierge, got several additional cards and offerings delivered to my cabin, and had a phone call to discuss and voicemail offering services.

They are definitely there to push sales. I feel the butler is there mostly for making life comfortable and fills that role.

Of course the concierge will do all sorts of free things, but that they are now reaching out in advance of cruises and providing all these extra pushes to fancy excursions, that's to bring $$ in.

I've sailed twice on NCL in a Haven suite. The concierge concept on those ships works very well WITHOUT coming across as a pushy sales technique. You make your own decision about what you want to do and the concierge staff simply make it happen. They will assist you with planning and give you some ideas if you need inspiration, but it never felt like a hard sell. You need a dinner reservation in a particular venue at a particular time? No problem.

I can say that I have received that hard sell feeling from Celebrity and it does get annoying. For example, on my last Celebrity cruise (Nov 2013 Reflection westbound TA), we received numerous voicemails from specialty dining trying to sell specialty dining packages. Since I had already pre-purchased dining packages, it made no sense to be receiving these calls. After the 4th voicemail in 3 days, I finally called and politely asked them to stop calling.

I'm planning a cruise for 2016 to celebrate a significant event, I'm looking forward to how all these suite perks come together to make for a very special celebration.

Walter

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Edited by vulcan1971

That's a great analogy about michaels, I always felt like I was in a cell the couel time I wandered in.
If I had a wonderful penthouse suite to enjoy, there is no way that I would want to spend time cooped up in Michael's club.

If it was for the company of others, I would just invite them back to the suite and socialize there.

On Royal Caribbean, suite passengers go to the concierge lounge for snacks and drinks, but on Celebrity you have a butler who will bring whatever you want to you.

I've sailed twice on NCL in a Haven suite. The concierge concept on those ships works very well WITHOUT coming across as a pushy sales technique. You make your own decision about what you want to do and the concierge staff simply make it happen. They will assist you with planning and give you some ideas if you need inspiration, but it never felt like a hard sell. You need a dinner reservation in a particular venue at a particular time? No problem.

I can say that I have received that hard sell feeling from Celebrity and it does get annoying. For example, on my last Celebrity cruise (Nov 2013 Reflection westbound TA), we received numerous voicemails from specialty dining trying to sell specialty dining packages. Since I had already pre-purchased dining packages, it made no sense to be receiving these calls. After the 4th voicemail in 3 days, I finally called and politely asked them to stop calling.

I'm planning a cruise for 2016 to celebrate a significant event, I'm looking forward to how all these suite perks come together to make for a very special celebration.

Walter

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Walter, I always say that NCL offers the best suite experience, with both concierge and butler services. I agree with you about all the unnecessary calls to our suite last summer on the Eclipse, but I really ignored those. I'll come back after our Reflection cruise in July to report on Michael's club concierge services. ;)