Cruise Passenger Assaulted on Holland America Cruise Ship

LauraS

There are crazy people in every nationality, religion, ethnic group, occupation, etc.

Yes exactly...and great people in every natlon, religion, ethnic group etc.

Knowing what can ignite anger,,,or improve connection with good or problematic people in any group is good too...:).

Market watch has an interesting article about cruise ship crimes today.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/do-cruise-lines-have-a-crime-problem-2014-02-21?dist=lcountdown

Of course, it included comments by lawyer Jim Walker who thrives on suing the cruise lines.

I'm not crazy about this guy. I read his entire blog (if he is the one that owns "cruise law news") and I came away from it with that distinct flavour of OK magazine with high notes of National Enquirer, and not-so- subtle middle notes of Personal Injury Law Newsletter.

I don't relish the idea of this victim's story being sensationalized for the sake of the almighty dollar. HAL is not culpable for the actions of one man. One very evil man, at that. No cruise line can possibly have an infallible crystal ball into which they gaze over at HR in Miami to decide who is going to do something like this. I found his comments distasteful to say the least, and sensationalist at best.

Hate crimes, assaults of any nature, and violence directed at vulnerable people (or animals) is so wrong. It's a tiny incremental step, but I hope that if the evidence supports the conviction of the person accused of this hateful crime, he suffers accordingly and in a severe manner.

And so far as has been reported, the perpetrator is the ONLY one to claim that the victim said, "son of a bitch" when he knocked on the door. I have not seen it reported that she has confirmed that.

Would you? I have no idea whether or not she actually said that; that is between her and her attorney.

Would you? I have no idea whether or not she actually said that; that is between her and her attorney.

If I were the victim, and I had said that, it would be part of my statement to the investigators and the court, because I would tell the truth about the events. Along with an explanation of why I had said it. I have no idea whether she actually said it or not...but since her alleged words are what the perpetrator is using as his reason/excuse for the assault, IMHO it's important for the investigators and prosecutors to know whether or not she said anything. And those of us following the case will find out if/when this goes to trial...which it will unless he pleads guilty or no contest.

Hate crimes, assaults of any nature, and violence directed at vulnerable people (or animals) is so wrong. It's a tiny incremental step, but I hope that if the evidence supports the conviction of the person accused of this hateful crime, he suffers accordingly and in a severe manner.

Agreed. I am going to leave this sad conversation because I am not currently booked on HAL and feel like I am intruding somewhat in this board.

But I do want to thank everyone I engaged with --- both those I agreed with and those I did not. Everyone was very civil and for the most part, I felt we are all united as a group discussion, in our good wishes and thoughts/prayers (as appropriate) for the victim. GBY to all and peace to everyone.

I also want to thank the hosts, for allowing this discussion to take place at all. It is a very difficult subject and their jobs in this discussion must have been very difficult as well. I appreciate their kindness and vigilence.

Peace to all, and add my prayers for the victim.

Agreed. I am going to leave this sad conversation because I am not currently booked on HAL and feel like I am intruding somewhat in this board.

But I do want to thank everyone I engaged with --- both those I agreed with and those I did not. Everyone was very civil and for the most part, I felt we are all united as a group discussion, in our good wishes and thoughts/prayers (as appropriate) for the victim. GBY to all and peace to everyone.

I also want to thank the hosts, for allowing this discussion to take place at all. It is a very difficult subject and their jobs in this discussion must have been very difficult as well. I appreciate their kindness and vigilence.

Peace to all, and add my prayers for the victim.

Beautifully said and many of my sentiments too, I am going to book on Hal sometime soon hopefully and visit the section but said what I could on the thread and feel like I have played my part here....Peace and prayers all....and enjoyed speaking with you and everyone and feel our chat did make a bit of a difference....sarah

I would suggest opining or trying this case on a bulletin board is fairly tacky.

There will be a trial. We'll see what happens.

Certainly not more tacky than blaming the victim or the perpetrator's entire culture, both of which have been done here repeatedly.

There will be a trial if he pleads not guilty. If he pleads guilty or no contest, then there will be no trial.

We'll see what happens.

Certainly not more tacky than blaming the victim or the perpetrator's entire culture, both of which have been done here repeatedly.

There will be a trial if he pleads not guilty. If he pleads guilty or no contest, then there will be no trial.

We'll see what happens.

I have read all 188 posts & no where did I see that the victim was blamed, & certainly not repeatedly!

I wonder if you have read all 188 posts!:(

Edited by serendipity1499

I have read all 188 posts & no where did I see that the victim was blamed, & certainly not repeatedly!

I wonder if you have read all 188 posts!:(

There were many, many posts removed by the moderators of the board that did, in fact, crucify the victim to some extent.

Is there any new NEWS on this; new articles dealing with the case? What's the next step as far as trial/sentencing/etc goes? Is there a way to follow the developments beyond just this thread?

There were many, many posts removed by the moderators of the board that did, in fact, crucify the victim to some extent.

Is there any new NEWS on this; new articles dealing with the case? What's the next step as far as trial/sentencing/etc goes? Is there a way to follow the developments beyond just this thread?

You can bet that Cruise Law News will follow this. Jim Walker wouldn't miss an opportunity like this one !!

I guess I haven't been fast enough to read all the comments that have been removed.

IMHO, the victim ordered room service so knew they were coming. Sometimes they come early in the allotted time frame. If indeed she did say what she's accused of saying by the room service steward, it could have been for any number of reasons totally unrelated to the crew member. Like, where did I put the money for his tip, or she tripped,or she couldn't find a robe or clothing, etc.

In no way does what she said behind a closed door and overheard outside constitute a reason for what happened to her.

It will be interesting to hear what happens when the arraignment takes place. I feel so sorry for the victim and hope she is recovering from this terrible ordeal.

Edited by mamaofami

I guess I haven't been fast enough to read all the comments that have been removed.

IMHO, the victim ordered room service so knew they were coming. Sometimes they come early in the allotted time frame. If indeed she did say what she's accused of saying by the room service steward, it could have been for any number of reasons totally unrelated to the crew member. Like, where did I put the money for his tip, or she tripped,or she couldn't find a robe or clothing, etc.

In no way does what she said behind a closed door and overheard outside constitute a reason for what happened to her.

It will be interesting to hear what happens when the arraignment takes place. I feel so sorry for the victim and hope she is recovering from this terrible ordeal.

I agree that it did not justify the brutality. However, in the mind of the perpetrator, the presumed slander was the reason. We need to distinguish justification versus reason. And that is perhaps the reason why some people are insisting that other posters are blaming the victim. I agree with Betty. I have not read one post that has directly or indirectly blamed the victim. They were simply commenting that what she said precipitated the perpetrator's actions. And, again, that is not a justification. It is merely a statement of fact.

I agree that it did not justify the brutality. However, in the mind of the perpetrator, the presumed slander was the reason. We need to distinguish justification versus reason. And that is perhaps the reason why some people are insisting that other posters are blaming the victim. I agree with Betty. I have not read one post that has directly or indirectly blamed the victim. They were simply commenting that what she said precipitated the perpetrator's actions. And, again, that is not a justification. It is merely a statement of fact.

I think the only real statement of fact is .....that people on this board actually commented that what the victim said precipitated the perpetrator's actions.

We still do not know if she said anything at all or if so what were the circumstances and actually through a closed door what could have been heard. No facts are really known.... just an allegation leading to assumptions!

I think the only real statement of fact is .....that people on this board actually commented that what the victim said precipitated the perpetrator's actions.

We still do not know if she said anything at all or if so what were the circumstances and actually through a closed door what could have been heard. No facts are really known.... just an allegation leading to assumptions!

You are absolutely right that no facts are actually known. Only statements which have been reported.

Update: It was reported in a Florida paper that Ketut Pujayasa was formally indicted Tuesday (4 Mar 2014) on charges of attempted murder and aggravated sexual abuse on Feb. 14 aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. Also, on Tuesday, Pujayasa, who since has been fired, entered a not guilty plea before U.S. Magistrate Alicia Valle and demanded a trial. He has remained jailed without bond.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-03-04/news/fl-cruise-worker-rape-20140304_1_cruise-ship-nieuw-amsterdam-port-everglades

Update: It was reported in a Florida paper that Ketut Pujayasa was formally indicted Tuesday (4 Mar 2014) on charges of attempted murder and aggravated sexual abuse on Feb. 14 aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. Also, on Tuesday, Pujayasa, who since has been fired, entered a not guilty plea before U.S. Magistrate Alicia Valle and demanded a trial. He has remained jailed without bond.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-03-04/news/fl-cruise-worker-rape-20140304_1_cruise-ship-nieuw-amsterdam-port-everglades

Thanks for the update.

Let me guess....

He declared himself unable to afford counsel and one will be appointed for him? Guess who will pay for that. :rolleyes: