Lobster Night Canceled

Lollygil

We were on the Sky last week and NO lobster night--apparently its been eliminated due to menu changes..add the chocolate on the pillow canceled and I am starting to feel like I am on a budget trip. NOT acceptable

What latitudes level are you? You only get the chocolate if you are at silver.

We were on the Jade in Europe last month and they did not have a lobster night.

Not even the "Seafood extravaganza" dish? That is the second lobster dish on NCL's current (or soon "old" if you like) menus, and that menu is occassionally used on Jade - we had it first night last summer.

Edited by Demonyte

We were on the Sky last week and NO lobster night--apparently its been eliminated due to menu changes..add the chocolate on the pillow canceled and I am starting to feel like I am on a budget trip. NOT acceptable

We were on the Sun last week and had lobster tails in the main dining room on the first night. Not Maine lobsters but they were very good. Our waiter even brought my husband a second one.

the red snapper on the plate was better than the thumb-sized rock lobster tail. I won't miss it at all, and certainly would not judge a cruise line based on whether or not they provided lobster.

You can get NE lobster in the specialty restaurants. Use some of the money you saved by sailing NCL on a Cagney's reservation.

The best lobsters anywhere is up in the New England coast, a place called Maine and even Boston - and, Nova Scotia, fresh out of the cold Atlantic waters starting in May. Live soft shells @ 2 to 3 lbs by early July. Austrialian ones flown in are more expensive - never going to stop cruising b/c of those tiny, frozen lobster tail. On NCL & other mass lines, we'll gladly take a few extra (jumbo ??? or large, really) prawns or tasty, extra large tiger shrimps instead, or the giant scallops, Mahi Mahi or Red Snapper & even broiled Salmon. Or, just serve us a better quality cut of their steak & prime ribs combo, and be gladly do surf & turf with other seafood substitude.

Especially, if that's going to keep prices level - inflation adjusted, of course. :D

Edited by mking8288

Its been awhile since I was on the Sky but don't remember a lobster night. I took a 5 night on the Jewel in 2009 and there was not a lobster night either. Someone told me that lobster is served on minimum 7 nights or more cruises. Not sure if this is correct or not. Most latitudes offers are good for cruises over 5 nights (i.e. dinner at Le Bistro, Latitudes party.

:eek:the horror!!!!!!! Seriously though do people book cruises based on if they serve lobster or not!? :confused: I mean you can buy lobster at the grocery store and not spend thousands of dollars on a cruise just to eat lobster.....

:eek:the horror!!!!!!! Seriously though do people book cruises based on if they serve lobster or not!? :confused: I mean you can buy lobster at the grocery store and not spend thousands of dollars on a cruise just to eat lobster.....

Yeah that. If there's lobster, I'll eat it. If not, big deal. It's lobster. It's everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I can't comment on the Lobster because we had it in Dec but I realize that was a couple of months ago. As for the chocolate, how can anyone make a big deal out of no chocolate on their pillow? I have never understood why some feel this is even important? How many hotels, including resort class do you get a little chocolate on your pillow at night?

My feeling exactly: yes, I enjoy that little bite or two, but certainly a 2 oz (at best) Lobster isn't or shouldn't be a breaker. Have the time we go to a specialty dining room the first night and miss the Lobster. In all our 30 years of cruising we have never had a really good Lobster on any cruise line.

I doubt they've served lobster on the short Sky cruises for years...if ever.

Lobster is definitely still on the menu on 7 night and longer cruises, and in fact it's clearly on the newest menus as evidenced by some new Getaway menus just posted.

You can't generalize from what happens or doesn't on the short cruises to what happens on the one week or longer cruises. Most Latitudes benefits are also not provided on cruises of under five days.

Basically, the OP appears to be misinformed.

I read an interesting article about lobster pricing this summer. Lobster prices have been depressed for quite a while now ($5.99, $4.99, even $3.99lb). However, restaurants generally retain an artificial high price for lobster because consumers expect it, and feel as if they are treating themselves to a luxury. Restaurants net more by selling at an absurd markup (especially since most lobster preparation involves nothing more exotic than boiling or steaming for a few minutes), than they would make up in volume if they were selling at market prices.

the red snapper on the plate was better than the thumb-sized rock lobster tail. I won't miss it at all, and certainly would not judge a cruise line based on whether or not they provided lobster.

You can get NE lobster in the specialty restaurants. Use some of the money you saved by sailing NCL on a Cagney's reservation.

Mike always love ur post so practical and so funny and so so full of sarcasm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt they've served lobster on the short Sky cruises for years...if ever.

I don't know what they're doing now, but we've been on the Sky 3-day cruise twice (once in 2011 and once in 2013) and both times they served lobster tails in the MDR on the first night. Our experience with lobster on NCL (not just the Sky, but other ships too) has been mixed. Sometimes it has been surprisingly good and sometimes it's been dry or rubbery and flavorless. It was the 2013 Sky cruise that we unexpectedly had excellent lobster - and kept ordering additional tails. We had a group of 8 and must have gone through at least 20 tails that night.