Trip down memory lane

ZSandy25

Just cleaned out a file box and ran across some old memories from prior cruises. I really miss those blue folders that held all your information, it was a day of excitement when our TA called and said our doc' had arrived, I couldn't get there fast enough. Luggage tags, mariner buttons, excursion books etc.

Do anyone of you remember Passport to Fitness? I ran all over the ship with my passport collecting my "stamps" so I could trade in for my reward. If you can believe this I still have the sweatshirt I got for my efforts.:)

I'm all for progress, all those years ago we didn't have CC and all the wonderful people who contribute to these boards. It was just a nice time to sit and remember days gone by....BTW I wasn't able to discard those old folders, I put them back for another day

I've still got a Passport to Fitness sweatshirt, too! Got it on my first Grand cruise of 34 days. Maybe someday it will even fit again. :rolleyes:

It was not that many years ago I finally tossed out my last "Passport" booklet! Those days are long gone. Remember when we could even get a "stamp" for choosing a healthy meal for dinner? The table steward signed the block that we had ordered from one of the approved selections.

I had every paper from every cruise going back to the dawn of my cruising time until almost four years ago. I lost them when my basement flooded. :( Still a little sad about that.

DW kept a couple of the old blue travel folders from the "document dance" days. We keep our boarding information in them. We're in the technology business, but sometimes the old ways are better, cooler, and certainly classier.

I've still got a Passport to Fitness sweatshirt, too! Got it on my first Grand cruise of 34 days. Maybe someday it will even fit again. :rolleyes:

It was not that many years ago I finally tossed out my last "Passport" booklet! Those days are long gone. Remember when we could even get a "stamp" for choosing a healthy meal for dinner? The table steward signed the block that we had ordered from one of the approved selections.

I had every paper from every cruise going back to the dawn of my cruising time until almost four years ago. I lost them when my basement flooded. :( Still a little sad about that.

Ruth,

I know exactly how you feel about what you lost. Due to a calamity of my own in my condo building, I lost most of my stuff from 1970-1982. Plus, I had much ocean liner memorabilia and passenger railroad memorabilia that was lost as well. Fortunately, some photo albums were saved by the firemen, but nothing much else.

I so remember all you mention and just today I was in our attic looking for something particular but came across a Holiday Greeting Card from Captain and the entire crew/staff of Rotterdam from our holiday cruise oh so many years ago. :) I could not put it in the wastebasket. :o I put it back where I found it. :)

[/b]

I so remember all you mention and just today I was in our attic looking for something particular but came across a Holiday Greeting Card from Captain and the entire crew/staff of Rotterdam from our holiday cruise oh so many years ago. :) I could not put it in the wastebasket. :o I put it back where I found it. :)

[/b]

I did a bit of pruning a few months ago, but could find so little in my files that was "expendable". I guess the solution is another file cabinet!

The Dutch hats-now that brings back memories of many years ago. Our first cruise-a honeymoon cruise from New York to Bermuda on the old Volendam in June 1982. We were so excited to be upgraded to an OV with portholes!!! That was the one and only time we were upgraded.

I still have our photos of the "DutchNight" with DH and I in our dutch hats but fortunately not the hat itself. We have way too much other memorabilia as it is.

We got our first passport to fitness book completed on the Prinsendam TA in May 2007. If I remember Ruth you were on that cruise with us!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The Dutch Hats! This is a great thread. Excellent journey in the Wayback Machine.

Oh my, Yes. The beautiful, painted Dutch hats. Some are true works of art. We treasure our collection. I wouldn't dream of parting with one. :cool:

On our cruise last month on the Nieuw Amsterdam we met a lovely lady who had been cruising on Holland America since the early 1940's. She told us wonderful stories of her experiences over the many decades she has cruised on Holland America. It was so interesting to hear her recount these wonderful experiences. Her name was Dede - she was originally from Belgium and had to be in her 80's, but I am not certain since you never ask a lady her age (my wife drummed that into me). Maybe some of you folks have met her since she cruises often- and if you did, you would never forget her.

Holland America is still very special; maybe it has lost some of the panache over the years but it is still an extraordinary brand.

Just cleaned out a file box and ran across some old memories from prior cruises. I really miss those blue folders that held all your information, it was a day of excitement when our TA called and said our doc' had arrived, I couldn't get there fast enough. Luggage tags, mariner buttons, excursion books etc.

Are you talking about the Navy Pleather Document holder? I still have ours from our first Noordam cruise in 1999, and I use it for any trip I'm taking, not just a cruise. The different pockets make it great for holding passports, money, Driver's License, etc. and it's larger than my wallet so easily found in my tote bag. Too bad they went away.

The silky Royal Blue document holder from our 11 day cruisetour in 2010 got all ragged and came apart on our trip. No saving it when we got home. They were both tossed.

I didn't keep my first cruise stuff, but I do have a framed set of 'dutch hats' from the crew and most of the memorablia from the subsequent cruises. I also have many memories about staff.

We have the signed "dutch hats" in a frame over our wet bar in our pub room. we received them from crew members off the OLD Westerdam. Guests ask about them all the time.

Edited by existentialtraveler

I have a few of the painted dutch hats from years ago too. I also have a few pieces of origami the bar staff used to always make us. A rabbitt, a frog and several shirts made out of the blue and white bar slips.

I think I even have a few of the old toiletry bottles and boxes with the pictures of the old ships and dutch girls. I used to love the comfrey and ginseng soaps and lotions. Does anyone else remember those?

The Dutch Hats, it was our first cruise and we were celebrating an anniversary. We were on the Maasdam, came to our cabin and waiting for us were two painted dutch hats. I cried when I saw them and treasure them to this day. I was overwhelmed at the time and talent someone took to create this "masterpiece" for us.

I know things have changed over the years but I have yet to take a cruise with HAL where I don't find genuine acts of thoughtfulness on all levels. Keeps us coming back.:)

Oh my, Yes. The beautiful, painted Dutch hats. Some are true works of art. We treasure our collection. I wouldn't dream of parting with one. :cool:

I'd never part with one either. My late husband and me spent many an hour in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest before and after dinner on all our cruises earning these hats. Fun happy memories when I look at them.

:D:D:D

I have a few of the painted dutch hats from years ago too. I also have a few pieces of origami the bar staff used to always make us. A rabbitt' date=' a frog and several shirts made out of the blue and white bar slips.

I think I even have a few of the old toiletry bottles and boxes with the pictures of the old ships and dutch girls. I used to love the comfrey and ginseng soaps and lotions. Does anyone else remember those?[/quote']

I sure do. I too have quite a collection. Love every item. They were a lot of fun to receive. The tricks were fun to learn too. Remember when HAL used one of the pretty, blonde, singer/dancers & put her in a period costume for Welcome Aboard photos???

:)

Edited by solocanadian

I didn't keep my first cruise stuff, but I do have a framed set of 'dutch hats' from the crew and most of the memorablia from the subsequent cruises. I also have many memories about staff.

I framed all my dutch hats in one frame, but haven't gotten around to getting it up (after how many years now?). Wow - now I wanna go dig thru all my old stuff :-)