HAL prices

erewhon

Was just checking prices on the HAL website for the Australian Circumnavigation cruise, October this year,

Category BC staterooms at $16,799.00 per person,

compared to Category B at $10,299.00 per person ,

Category AA at $10,599.00 per person and

Category A at $10,899.00 per person.

Do the BC cabins have something special to be priced so much dearer than the other Veranda staterooms?

Is it possible HAL has made a pricing error?

BC is entry level for balconies so HAL tends to keep that category for the sell-offs. This works with NN, HH, SZ and probably SC, too.

If the BC were the cheapest and you were to buy it now, then HAL later on needed to put the price down to sell, they would go with the BC and you would be asking for the new, lower pricing. HAL wants to make a bundle and that isn't the way to do it.

Was just checking prices on the HAL website for the Australian Circumnavigation cruise, October this year,

Category BC staterooms at $16,799.00 per person,

compared to Category B at $10,299.00 per person ,

Category AA at $10,599.00 per person and

Category A at $10,899.00 per person.

Do the BC cabins have something special to be priced so much dearer than the other Veranda staterooms?

Is it possible HAL has made a pricing error?

HAL pricing is very strange to say the least . They seem to charge a lot more for equivalent on other cruise lines ( sometimes almost double).

To Hawaii on Princess I can get a balcony for the price of an Oceanview on HAL. We like HAL but prices are to steep for our budget.

BC is entry level for balconies so HAL tends to keep that category for the sell-offs. This works with NN, HH, SZ and probably SC, too.

If the BC were the cheapest and you were to buy it now, then HAL later on needed to put the price down to sell, they would go with the BC and you would be asking for the new, lower pricing. HAL wants to make a bundle and that isn't the way to do it.

Thanks for the explanation.

The last minute prices for trips that they are having trouble filling are very good though.

We have taken a few in the last few years that are almost a steal. But you have to be very flexible.

For some reason, our cruise in Nov. has the HH category at 6 1/2k and the H at 3 1/2k. Same for balconies and inside. The lowest are right now more than double the next up cabins. I don't know if it is a mistake or something else.

Edited by lindaler

It's not just HAL. I've seen similar price discrepancies on other cruise lines--primarily Princess and Celebrity. For instance, on our upcoming Princess cruise, for a while the price of balcony cabins was less than the lowest price inside cabin.

We often see discrepancies-on all the cruise lines. It is amazing to us how certain cabin categories can drop substantially in price for 24 or 48 hours, even below lesser categories. Then they get adjusted back to the original price or higher. We have missed one or two good ones by procrastinating over night.

The trick is to understand what a good price is for a particular itinerary, and to grab it when you see the right ship, cabin, price.

For some reason, our cruise in Nov. has the HH category at 6 1/2k and the H at 3 1/2k. Same for balconies and inside. The lowest are right now more than double the next up cabins. I don't know if it is a mistake or something else.

Try reading post #2. This has been explained quite a few times on this board and is a pretty common marketing ploy.

I have to agree -- pricing for many of HAL cruises are weird.

What do you think about the "S" and SA" pricing these days?

I think you've been sailing them about as long as we have.

HAL pricing is very strange to say the least . They seem to charge a lot more for equivalent on other cruise lines ( sometimes almost double).

To Hawaii on Princess I can get a balcony for the price of an Oceanview on HAL. We like HAL but prices are to steep for our budget.

I left Holland because I could get a less expensive over all cruise on all inclusive luxury lines......when you added it all up.

Holland is not the bargain it once was

Just to add to the mix; we're 4 star, booked Panama to Fort Lauderdale 14 cruise almost 1 year ago. All of our 14+ cruises were booked thru Agents of one sort or another. Used to get occasional upgrades, always within category we paid for, except once we went from interior to unobstructed ocean view. That was many years ago. The price originally for this cruise was about $2500 pp for a specific number Interior cabin. A couple of months ago, I saw the price had fallen almost $1,000pp, so I cThey reduced our cost to within $100pp, this was before final payment.

Today, the Agent calls (a couple of weeks before departure) and asked if we need anything, and would we be interested in an upgrade/upsell, to which I said, we'd be interested in an unobstructed oceanview, but only if it was free. We both laughed and hung up. She called back a few minutes later, and said we now we assigned an Oceanview, right across from our Interior cabin. I was to say the least, totally surprised and delighted. I thanked the Agent and go figure??

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut!