Help a Carnival Cruiser out!

Prinycesa07

So we pretty much only sail Carnival until we realized we would like to try something new & NCL started their amazing kids sail free promotion. So we are all booked for next month on the Breakaway with our 2 kids. I feel like I know so much about carnival & nothing about Norwegian & I'm starting all over LOL. So my 2 questions...

What is the dress code in the MDR on non formal nights? As casual as Carnival? Mostly I'm wondering if my 3 & 4 yr olds can wear shorts or of I need to pack extra dresses & pants.

Also, what are the must try foods. On Carnival it's the warm chocolate melting cake. Anything on Norwegian that i must try? :)

Thank you! Excited for a new ship as we've always sailed older ones.

As Colin linked there are no formal nights on NCL. There is a "Norwegian's night out", which basically is a photo op night. So except the difference between that and Carnival's semi-formal night. The dress is about the same, cruise casual.

Also as per the link your kids will be fine. Children under 12 can wear shorts.

I can't help on the food must trys

Hmmm, interesting. We cruised on the jewel in 2010 & they were turning people away with shorts, capris or sandals. A couple people in our group had to go back to the room and change. Maybe things have changed?

Little kids can wear shorts.

Edited by jdvmd

So we pretty much only sail Carnival until we realized we would like to try something new & NCL started their amazing kids sail free promotion. So we are all booked for next month on the Breakaway with our 2 kids. I feel like I know so much about carnival & nothing about Norwegian & I'm starting all over LOL. So my 2 questions...

What is the dress code in the MDR on non formal nights? As casual as Carnival? Mostly I'm wondering if my 3 & 4 yr olds can wear shorts or of I need to pack extra dresses & pants.

Also, what are the must try foods. On Carnival it's the warm chocolate melting cake. Anything on Norwegian that i must try? :)

Thank you! Excited for a new ship as we've always sailed older ones.

The crepe station in the buffet at night. Your little ones might really enjoy seeing the chef make those! Heck, I enjoy seeing those made! And they can pick various flavors. The chef usually decorates the top with some sort of drizzle.

On the more mundane side that Sabrett Hotdog cart can be addictive, as can the hand-dipped ice cream at the buffet...

Hmmm, interesting. We cruised on the jewel in 2010 & they were turning people away with shorts, capris or sandals. A couple people in our group had to go back to the room and change. Maybe things have changed?

My Dad was just trying to explain that for me yesterday, when I started to organize my clothes for my first NCL cruise in less than a month.

He said in their handful of NCL cruises, one MDR is more casual, where they allow nice shorts, etc.. and the other MDR you had to have slacks and a collared shirt at the least. (not formal, but not too demanding)

No nothing has changed, you were either in the aft MDR or Le Bistro when this happened.

Shorts and capris can be worn in the other MDR and all other dining venues than above.

The OP was also asking about kids under 12 and they can wear shorts in any dining venue, again that is not new and was in place in 2010.

Sometimes people have shown up at the aft MDR and not got turned away but they can be.

Edited by che5904

No nothing has changed, you were either in the aft MDR or Le Bistro when this happened.

Shorts and capris can be worn in the other MDR and all other dining venues than above.

The OP was also asking about kids under 12 and they can wear shorts in any dining venue, again that is not new and was in place in 2010.

Sometimes people have shown up at the aft MDR and not got turned away but they can be.

On all of my ncl cruises I have only worn capris in the aft mdr and lebistro. Capris were never a problem.

On all of my ncl cruises I have only worn capris in the aft mdr and lebistro. Capris were never a problem.

Maybe you missed the line "Sometimes people have shown up at the aft MDR and not got turned away but they can be"

I wasn't saying what people have done and/or gotten away with. I was quoting what the policy was. I've seen people get turned away for something and then angry because people on CC told them it was OK.

Policy states "Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops."

I didn't write the policy nor do I enforce it, I just inform. If someone choose to wear them, that's totally their business and maybe that night or that particular sailing the girl at the front won't care.

My daughter had a dressy sequined pair of shorts on and had to go change when we showed up at aft main dining room on the Dawn in 2013. We were staying in the GV(top level suite on ship), but she was not allowed in. I was glad they enforced their rule and she just ran back up to room to change while we ordered our drinks. We had gone to early show and didn't even think about the dress code when we ended up there. I have seen many people turned away from that dining room wearing shorts during our various cruises.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Forums mobile app

In the Manhattan Dining Room, long pants for men are the basic requirement. Jeans are fine. Kids can wear shorts.

There is a little spongebob pool area that looks so cute for little ones.

They have picture time with spongebob and friends. Seems really cute for little kids.

I too have cruised mainly carnival. I am confused as too all these restaurants everyone is naming. Are they all free or pay? I don't like to dress up, so I'm thinking stay away from the aft dining room?

On NCL, Cagneys, Moderno, Le Bistro, Teppanyaki, La Cuicina and Ocean Blue are all upcharge restaurants. The fees vary from 15-50 (I believe Ocean Blue is 50) but they are all quite good!

The dining room food is pretty good - I prefer carnivals MDR food to be honest but there are some really yummy items! We tend to eat in the more casual dining rooms - on getaway it was taste and savor. Can't remember the name of the one we ate at on Epic although I know it was the dressier one. Even so, we weren't dressed to the nines; I wore a nice sundress, my dad and brother wore khaki's and a button down shirt.