dress shorts

Can anyone tell me if men can wear dress shorts in the dining room. We are going on fos in April from the USA. It will be hot and I doubt my 12 year old will have trousers with him or my husband. I know it was allowed in Europe a few yrs ago. But not sure about there. Thanks.

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

That's from Royal's website...so technically, no. That said, do people do it? Yes, will you be turned away, probably not but you never know. Might you have people looking at you and grumbling that you're not following the dress code, probably.

HERE is the link to Royal's dress code

Edited by megr1125

Can anyone tell me if men can wear dress shorts in the dining room. We are going on fos in April from the USA. It will be hot and I doubt my 12 year old will have trousers with him or my husband. I know it was allowed in Europe a few yrs ago. But not sure about there. Thanks.

My husband sometimes wears dress shorts either the first or last night. Pair it with loafers or boat shoes not flip flops.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

That's from Royal's website...so technically, no. That said, do people do it? Yes, will you be turned away, probably not but you never know. Might you have people looking at you and grumbling that you're not following the dress code, probably.

HERE is the link to Royal's dress code

That would be my husband and son. They would think everyone in the whole dining room would be staring and glaring at them.

Last year my 12 year old son wore shorts to dinner in the MDR every night but formal nights with no problem. DH wore long pants most nights but then started wondering why so many others were in shorts and he switched to that for the last couple nights too.

I think people are more forgiving of kids. I think nice "Dockers-style" shorts and a collared shirt are okay for a 12-year-old. My son wore nice shorts to the MDR when he was much younger (he's now 16).

But I think men should adhere to the rules. my husband always wears khakis and a polo (except on formal nights where he wears a suit).

Just my opinion. You're sure to get many, many others since you brought up a hot topic. ;)

Interestingly, Disney revised its policy and now allows nice shorts in the dining rooms. No cutoffs, of course.

The rules (not suggestions) say no shorts and children should follow the same dress code as adults. I don't understand why people have to be so self-absorbed and disrespectful that they can't respect such a simple rule. If your husband and son can't bring themselves to wear long pants for a couple of hours (and the MDR is usually cold), there's always the buffet. First night is usually exempted since some have boot yet received their luggage.

And here we go ... :rolleyes:

And don't even think about bringing bottled water on board. Also against the rules.

I find it so funny how some people are okay with breaking one rule but not another.

Edited by ksawyercruiser

The rules (not suggestions) say no shorts and children should follow the same dress code as adults. I don't understand why people have to be so self-absorbed and disrespectful that they can't respect such a simple rule. If your husband and son can't bring themselves to wear long pants for a couple of hours (and the MDR is usually cold), there's always the buffet. First night is usually exempted since some have boot yet received their luggage.

I agree.

There are other cruise lines that permit dining in everything but the nude. There are resorts where you can wear whatever you want, but cruising has an element of "elegance" left over from the old days where gentlemen wore suits to dinner every night.

I am tired of hearing the whine of "it's my vacation and I'll wear what I want".

The dress code is not a hard and fast rule, it's a strong suggestion, but out of respect for others, please conform. It is OUR vacation, too and we sail on Royal because they don't sanction shorts and flip flops in the MDR.

For sure breakfast and lunch. No one here can tell you if they will be allowed otherwise because your cruise has not happened. Wear them and see if you get turned back at the door, its a simple matter to change if needed.

I think it's quite pathetic to say is upsetting to see someone in shorts in the dining room. I personally can't see the problem with a nice pair of dress shorts Eddie isn't for my 12 yr old son. Quite frankly if I'm paying a fortune for a cruise which I am I feel I have Tne right to be comfortable and that doesn't have to be disrespectful ! I'm afraid if anyone gives my son or husband glaring looks if they choose to wear shorts then they will be getting my opinion if they like it or not .

My husband sometimes wears dress shorts either the first or last night. Pair it with loafers or boat shoes not flip flops.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree.

There are other cruise lines that permit dining in everything but the nude. There are resorts where you can wear whatever you want, but cruising has an element of "elegance" left over from the old days where gentlemen wore suits to dinner every night.

I am tired of hearing the whine of "it's my vacation and I'll wear what I want".

The dress code is not a hard and fast rule, it's a strong suggestion, but out of respect for others, please conform. It is OUR vacation, too and we sail on Royal because they don't sanction shorts and flip flops in the MDR.

Nowhere do RC's suggestions OR rules mention footwear, much less specifying no flip-flops.

The rules say NO SHORTS at dinner. But it's ok if you wear them with loafers instead of flip-flops?

Ridiculous. If you are going to be a slob and wear shorts, go ahead. Wear flip-flops. I have seen hundreds of flip-flop wearing passengers at dinner in the MDR. For instance, the young lady wearing Daisy Dukes at dinner last month.

No one cares any more.

Wear whatever you want. That's the theme.

I think it's quite pathetic to say is upsetting to see someone in shorts in the dining room. I personally can't see the problem with a nice pair of dress shorts Eddie isn't for my 12 yr old son. Quite frankly if I'm paying a fortune for a cruise which I am I feel I have Tne right to be comfortable and that doesn't have to be disrespectful ! I'm afraid if anyone gives my son or husband glaring looks if they choose to wear shorts then they will be getting my opinion if they like it or not .

See?

Wear whatever you want. You were going to do it anyway. Why did you bother posting your question?

The term "dress shorts" is an oxymoron. You cannot be "dressed up" and in shorts simultaneously.

I actually had to look them up, and they appear to be essentially Dockers-style pants, but knee length. Full length Dockers aren't "dressed up", they are business casual at best.

That ends my mini-lecture on clothing terminology. :)

Just pack one pair of khakis and be done with it. They can be worn every night, just to dinner. No one will know you're wearing them every night. As someone has previously mentioned, the MDR, heck, all the indoor space on the ship, is usually cool enough to not be uncomfortable in pants.

I agree.

The suggestions for formal night are indeed suggestions. The prohibition against shorts however, IS a hard and fast rule. Like most rules or laws, some consider themselves to be above the rules and willingly flaunt them. As with any rule or law - you may or may not be "caught" but if you wear shorts for dinner in the MDR, you are definitely breaking a rule, not a suggestion.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

The term "dress shorts" is an oxymoron. You cannot be "dressed up" and in shorts simultaneously.

I actually had to look them up, and they appear to be essentially Dockers-style pants, but knee length. Full length Dockers aren't "dressed up", they are business casual at best.

Just pack one pair of khakis and be done with it. They can be worn every night, just to dinner. No one will know you're wearing them every night. As someone has previously mentioned, the MDR, heck, all the indoor space on the ship, is usually cool enough to not be uncomfortable in pants.

I was reading your post and I thought "they're obviously not from Florida." But then I saw that you are! Weird that you've never seen Dockers-style shorts.

Shorts are acceptable virtually everywhere here in south Florida. And the men I know usually wear nice shorts with polos or Tommy Bahama shirts to nice restaurants. But things must be different in Clearwater. Maybe we're just more tropical-casual here, particularly in the summer.

No judgment at all ... I was just surprised you're a Floridian. :)

Edited by ksawyercruiser

Women wear dressy shorts (so why can't men :confused:) We're talking about very nice shorts (not Daisy Dukes) paired for a woman with a dressy top and heels...my adult DD has worn this exact outfit and never had any trouble getting into the MDR..I also have worn the same but with a little longer style short.

So men in nice black knee length shorts and a dress shirt and casual slipon shoes...not the same thing as casual everday men type shorts..and a big difference ;)....Relax everyone your dinner enviorment isn't going to be ruined. :)

So why did you ask in the first place? :confused:

I guess you have never been to a country club.

Never saw an adult male wear shorts. Have seen on children under 5- My grandson 10, wore docker like slacks and collard tee shirts for dinner. Buttoned down shirts and ties on formal nights.

Kilts are acceptable however.

Edited by Cruise a holic

I agree.

If you are using RCCL because of their dress code suggestions, you are missing alot of other great reasons to go Royal. How is me wearing a nice, new , pair of pleated and hemmed shorts with clean tennis shoes, deck shoes or dockers in the dining room going to ruin your' cruise ? I can't imagine something so trivial good get me so butt hurt as to let it ruin my vacation, that I paid lots of money for !!

Women wear dressy shorts (so why can't men :confused:) We're talking about very nice shorts (not Daisy Dukes) paired for a woman with a dressy top and heels...my adult DD has worn this exact outfit and never had any trouble getting into the MDR..I also have worn the same but with a little longer style short.

So men in nice black knee length shorts and a dress shirt and casual slipon shoes...not the same thing as casual everday men type shorts..and a big difference ;)....Relax everyone your dinner enviorment isn't going to be ruined. :)

Hyperbole alert! No one said it would "ruin their dinner." Posters are (correctly) called out for telling posters that formal night dress code suggestions are actually requirements, because they're not. It's just as incorrect to tell posters that shorts are allowed, because they're not. Will they be turned away at the entrance? Maybe, maybe not. Will you be stopped for going 80 in a 55 zone? Will you be caught walking out of a store with items you didn't purchase? Maybe, maybe not.

The factual answer to the question asked by the OP is simple & straightforward. RCCL does not allow shorts in the MDR for dinner.