dress shorts

Ok good for you but you still did it. When it suited you. I agree but reading here it should be none at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find the worst thing is a baseball style cap. This is the worst I think. It's just rude. Hats should be off at all dinning tables unless your out in the sun.

Quote=Ocean View;41990220]I agree!! Don't know about your DH but mine wears Tommy Bahama pleated shorts that are on the longer side belted and a TB button down shirt with leather loafers. At any country club or resort they would be widely accepted! Especially the first and last night with packing up or waiting for luggage why not?

I would be very happy to sit with you and your DH at dinner any night on the cruise, rather than the person who brought a pair of wrinkled slacks and one or two shirts (that they alternate), and doesn't shower after returning from a shore excursion or an afternoon at the pool (just change into their dress clothes for the dining room -- they were 'starved').

At least dinner is only an hour....and then I can be off to some fun thing to do.

I have a GREAT time on a cruise, no matter what other cruisers wear.....sometimes, what others wear, just makes me 'wonder'. I am sure, that can be said 'in reverse' as well.

I would be very happy to sit with you and your DH at dinner any night on the cruise, rather than the person who brought a pair of wrinkled slacks and one or two shirts (that they alternate), and doesn't shower after returning from a shore excursion or an afternoon at the pool (just change into their dress clothes for the dining room -- they were 'starved').

Has that really ever happened to you?

This says it all

I think it's quite pathetic to say is upsetting to see someone in shorts in the dining room. I personally can't see the problem with a nice pair of dress shorts Eddie isn't for my 12 yr old son. Quite frankly if I'm paying a fortune for a cruise which I am I feel I have Tne right to be comfortable and that doesn't have to be disrespectful ! I'm afraid if anyone gives my son or husband glaring looks if they choose to wear shorts then they will be getting my opinion if they like it or not .

I often think some people here have never spent one minute in FL other than to get off a plane and straight on to a cruise ship.

Not only is the attire you describe pretty common in the Keys, it is also pretty common in Central FL in even some of the nicer places to eat that arent even close to the beach.

I spent 16 years there and wore shorts to dinner plenty of times before. I dont get all in a tizzy over someone wearing shorts to dinner. With that said, it is a rule on RCI that no shorts are allowed in the MDR for dinner and I would never think of doing such. Im sure you are the same way :)

Thank you for understanding where I was coming from. :)

The only thing that would make me hesitant about supporting the allowance of shorts is the fact it would allow too much discretion in passengers. People don't always know just because it is allowed, it doesn't always mean they should do it.

Like I said, I wear shorts out to dinner here in KW, but if anything were to make my legs look disgusting, like when I got multiple stings from a jellyfish a couple months ago, I cover them up. Others wouldn't be so considerate.

Quote=Ocean View;41990220]I agree!! Don't know about your DH but mine wears Tommy Bahama pleated shorts that are on the longer side belted and a TB button down shirt with leather loafers. At any country club or resort they would be widely accepted! Especially the first and last night with packing up or waiting for luggage why not?

At least dinner is only an hour....and then I can be off to some fun thing to do.

I have a GREAT time on a cruise, no matter what other cruisers wear.....sometimes, what others wear, just makes me 'wonder'. I am sure, that can be said 'in reverse' as well.

And us with you! I rem we would get way over dressed eat rush back to our cabin to change sometimes before the show sometimes after to get comfy and enjoy the night. But enough with packing limits and just being tired running around I just don't want to do that anymore. On formal nights DH will usually wear a suit but change after. I have also seen people run in like they just came from shoreside, or be such a wrinkled mess the why bother. I make sure we are pressed and look and feel fresh. These ships are so large I would just die if I couldn't get out of my heals lol and I don't know about you but after like day 2 of way to much sun wayyy to much food I really wouldn't be comfortable.

We were on the Grandeur last month and saw a guy denied entrance to the MDR for wearing shorts. He simply went back and changed.

We have spent over half a year at sea, have always respected the dress code, and have never felt out of place ;).

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

You can still dress sharply and fashionably in shorts. Shorts does not necessarily equal "slob".

Then why don't those who already wear shorts do so? Or do you consider wrinkled, torn pocket, shorts and t-shirt fashionable. Shorts might not necessarily equal "slob" but as you continue to lower the standards for the MDR the slob-factor increases at an even higher rate.

It's not like the cruise "you paid for" (so sick of hearing that phrase) does not offer a choice in evening dining! The windjammer -- where shorts are acceptable -- offers various selections each evening, including most of the entrees from the MDR menu. There is a full bar with table service and special attention such as table side ice cream sundae making, free smoothies offered table side, and other dessert specials.

Last cruise we followed a guy into the MDR late seating who was wearing running shorts, you know the skimpy ones with the butt cheeks hanging out. Looked like Richard Simmons out for a workout. :rolleyes: I guess that's just personal choice about how to appear in public.

Has that really ever happened to you?

Yes it has....and it has happened to others as well. DH and I like early dinner seating, and some passengers like to squeeze every moment into their daytime activities and sometimes not leave enough time before dinner....so they jump into their clothes and off to dinner.

We like to be neat and clean and comfy; and enjoy dinner service in the MDR; part of our vacation is to enjoy being served dinner.

We like to be neat and clean and comfy; and enjoy dinner service in the MDR; part of our vacation is to enjoy being served dinner.

Then dress appropriately. Dressing like you just came off the golf course (as you described your husband's flashy outfit) might be fine for the bar at the club but not the MDR is not the club. Think more like formal night at the "club." I'm sure you don't wear those khaki shorts shorts that go down to your knees to a wedding or big event there.

Please don't complain about others until you follow the rules. The sign at the door says: "no shorts." No if, ands, ors, or buts! It is not "suggested."

Can anyone tell me if men can wear dress shorts in the dining room. We are going on fos in April from the USA. It will be hot and I doubt my 12 year old will have trousers with him or my husband. I know it was allowed in Europe a few yrs ago. But not sure about there. Thanks.

The way I look at it is, if your husband was taking you and your son to a restaurant for a nice meal and going after to a show would you expect him to dress in shorts. You did not mention your own views on this, are you dining in a onesie? as previous the whole ship has aircon, but I would not like to follow anyone with sweaty bare legs on to a seat. May I suggest you take a pool towel with you, that is what you would do if you were wearing shorts on a pool lounger.

There are a lot of things in life where there are recommended ways to act why does it have to be all about me theses days. the only word that can describe it is an old fashioned one not used much these days "etiquette" why buck the system just for the sake of it.

The way I look at it is, if your husband was taking you and your son to a restaurant for a nice meal and going after to a show would you expect him to dress in shorts.

During the summer I would, though the only "shows" that we have locally are movies.

As for the cruise, my understanding is that even on formal nights there is no dress code for the shows.

During the summer I would, though the only "shows" that we have locally are movies.

As for the cruise, my understanding is that even on formal nights there is no dress code for the shows.

Would you really go to a restaurant with your partner in the evening wearing shorts? Would you turn up on a first date for a meal wearing shorts? If not then that is the sort of standard you should keep to.

I am not sure if the dress code is only for MDR, on most lines I have sailed with it is for the main areas after 6pm.

Last point is do I want to see your chicken legs when I am eating, and do you remove the sweat from the chairs when you leave or do you expect the next customer to sit on it?

Then dress appropriately. Dressing like you just came off the golf course (as you described your husband's flashy outfit) might be fine for the bar at the club but not the MDR is not the club. Think more like formal night at the "club." I'm sure you don't wear those khaki shorts shorts that go down to your knees to a wedding or big event there.

Please don't complain about others until you follow the rules. The sign at the door says: "no shorts." No if, ands, ors, or buts! It is not "suggested."

Please don't credit me for saying something that I did not. My husband doesn't wear shorts, his choice. What Ocean View said was: "Don't know about your DH but mine wears Tommy Bahama pleated shorts that are on the longer side belted and a TB button down shirt with leather loafers. At any country club or resort they would be widely accepted!"

DH and I would welcome sitting with them any night on a cruise.

Edited by Paulette3028

How rude. No point in personal attacks. You should as the young ones say 'take a chill pill'. This about dressing for dinner on a cruise ship. We are not dinning with the queen if England.

And etiquette is not to make others feel uncomfortable. So you should take your own advice.

As we say in Australia 'settle petal'.

Sent from JD's iPhone using Tapatalk

Just returned from 2 weeks on Freedom. I wore dress shorts and flip flops in the dining room every night except for the formal and smart casual nights. On those nights I wore Dockers and a polo shirt with flip flops.

Would you really go to a restaurant with your partner in the evening wearing shorts? Would you turn up on a first date for a meal wearing shorts? If not then that is the sort of standard you should keep to.

I am not sure if the dress code is only for MDR, on most lines I have sailed with it is for the main areas after 6pm.

Last point is do I want to see your chicken legs when I am eating, and do you remove the sweat from the chairs when you leave or do you expect the next customer to sit on it?

Yes I would really go to a restaurant with my husband for dinner wearing shorts.

As for first dates, its been a very long time so I really can't remember much. But for my first date with my husband, we went skiing so I'm pretty sure neither of us was wearing shorts.

You say that on lines you have sailed on the dress code is for all main areas. Does this mean you haven't even sailed on RCI?

I'm glad you know I have chicken legs when we haven't even met. I don't normally sweat when I'm sitting in an air conditioned restaurant. Oh and people are sitting in those chairs in shorts during breakfast and lunch. They are probably more likely to be sweating than anyone going there for dinner.

Just returned from 2 weeks on Freedom. I wore dress shorts and flip flops in the dining room every night except for the formal and smart casual nights. On those nights I wore Dockers and a polo shirt with flip flops.

And you take pride in this? Pathetic.

And you take pride in this? Pathetic.

I take nothing in it, although I do have great legs. I was just trying to answer the OP by telling them my experience and I don't really care what you think. You calling someone you don't know pathetic, shows who the pathetic one really is now doesn't it?

shows who the pathetic one really is now doesn't it?

The true character in a lot of people on this board has came out in this thread for sure.

You should not care in the least what an anonymous keyboard warrior on a message forum thinks. I guarantee they dont say that to peoples face on board. :rolleyes:

Personally, I didnt see you "take pride" in anything you posted but its pretty typical of the poster you quoted to insult people for not conforming to what she thinks they should. THAT is what is pathetic.

Why is this thread even still open?

Edited by ryano