Which side on TA??

floridacruisers

That will be the sunny side of the ship so that you will be warmer on the balcony while crossing the Atlantic.

Hope your crossing is a good as ours two years ago. Sunny, light breeze, NO waves almost glass, and warm enough to be in the pool daily. Got most of my tan during the TA.

Enjoy and take photos! You will see other ships during the crossing.

As many have told me, the term "posh" apparently came from the grand days of sailing to the U.S. from Europe. Port Out, Starboard Home.

Now in the case of we Yanks, it would follow that the term should be "soph" -- albeit, it probably doesn't have quite the ring to it.

As many have told me, the term "posh" apparently came from the grand days of sailing to the U.S. from Europe. Port Out, Starboard Home.

Now in the case of we Yanks, it would follow that the term should be "soph" -- albeit, it probably doesn't have quite the ring to it.

It was about the Suez Canal

we have done two TA 's but in the spring (april).

So we were going eastward, i did a LOT of research and planning about the sun, wanting to take sunrise photos from our balcony etc. and you know what?

The sunrise and sunset were almost straight in front and behind the ship.

With an estimated heading of 70 degrees and an estimated sunrise of 90 degrees i did not expect that.

The difference between port and starboard was so small as to be insignificant.

Your mileage may vary, since you are going in the fall and westbound, but i wanted to share our experience in case anyone finds it helpful.

enjoy your cruise, i wish we could travel in the fall and try a westbound but schedules prohibit that.

On the Starboard side you will get to see the rock of Gibraltar as you pass through the straights. We often enjoy watching Gibraltar with a drink on the veranda. On the other hand, it is normally dark when you pass.

Mike in Ohio

On the Starboard side you will get to see the rock of Gibraltar as you pass through the straights. We often enjoy watching Gibraltar with a drink on the veranda. On the other hand, it is normally dark when you pass.

Mike in Ohio

Thanks for mentioning this. It's something I've been thinking about, as we have a starboard cabin on our fall TA, and it will be our first time sailing through the Strait of Gibraltar. Our last port before that is Palma de Mallorca, scheduled departure of 8pm. I've been trying to estimate when we may sail through the Strait... If it's at night, is there anything at all that can be seen? (In other words, is anything lit up?)

Thanks!

we have done two TA 's but in the spring (april) so we were going eastward. i did a LOT of research and planning about the sun, wanting to take sunrise photos from our balcony etc. and you know what? The sunrise and sunset were almost straight in front and behind the ship. With an estimated heading of 70 degrees and an estimated sunrise of 90 degrees i did not expect that. The difference between port and starboard was so small as to be insignificant.

We've booked our first eastbound TA for April which will cross from Bermuda to the Azores and then on to Lisbon, etc. I am holding a starboard cabin but to get an even larger balcony, I could be persuaded to move to the port side. Curious how you figured your "degrees" for both the sailing and the sun ... I'd like to see if we'd have equi-sun pretty much on either side.

Also, nobody has mentioned wind. If there IS wind, is it more likely to come out of one direction over another?

Thanks!

It may or may not be significant, but I favor being on the port side of the ship on a westbound TA and starboard side on an eastbound. TAs are mostly in April, October and November when the weather might be cooler and a bit of sunlight more appreciated. So it's 1606 for us next month on the Eclipse and 1111 on the Connie in November. We did an October crossing on the Grand Princess in a starboard cabin and enjoyed it, too. Maybe it isn't all that important after all

we have done two TA 's but in the spring (april).

So we were going eastward, i did a LOT of research and planning about the sun, wanting to take sunrise photos from our balcony etc. and you know what?

The sunrise and sunset were almost straight in front and behind the ship.

With an estimated heading of 70 degrees and an estimated sunrise of 90 degrees i did not expect that.

The difference between port and starboard was so small as to be insignificant.

Your mileage may vary, since you are going in the fall and westbound, but i wanted to share our experience in case anyone finds it helpful.

enjoy your cruise, i wish we could travel in the fall and try a westbound but schedules prohibit that.

Yes, I would expect that in the Spring TA going from Florida to the Med as the sun would be in the Earth's northern hemisphere which is where the ship is. You didn't give the itinerary route for your TA.

We've also done a repositioning in the late Fall, when the sun was well below the equator, going from the Med to Miami and the crossing over the Atlantic was straight across from the Canary Islands to southern Florida.

We are doing our third west to east TA next month and unlike the first two which went from San Juan and Port Everglades to Southampton where the ship sailed parallel to the US east coast to Halifax, Nova Scotia and then straight across to the UK, this is back to the Med and the route, which is in my signature's count down, goes southeast from New Orleans to call on St, Martin and then slightly northeast for the actual crossing to the Canary Islands.

Edited by robtulipe

What is a lesdexic yank to do?

Stirf of all you have my sythpamy, and please know that help IS abailavle for your condition. :cool:

I urge you to join your local chapter of D.A.D. (American Dyslexic's Association) :eek: :D

You will find doog friends, lots of pussort, and the best jokes anywhere. :p ;)

Mike in Ohio

3 times we pass the rock it was in the middle of the night , not much to see

Thanks for mentioning this. It's something I've been thinking about, as we have a starboard cabin on our fall TA, and it will be our first time sailing through the Strait of Gibraltar. Our last port before that is Palma de Mallorca, scheduled departure of 8pm. I've been trying to estimate when we may sail through the Strait... If it's at night, is there anything at all that can be seen? (In other words, is anything lit up?)

Thanks!

It is illuminated but you don't get the angle to see the "Prudential" view.

I don't know if the illumination continues all night but we have been past at least three times before midnight to see reasonable illumination. Not brightly lighted but you get the shape and know what you are seeing.

Mike in Ohio

It is illuminated but you don't get the angle to see the "Prudential" view.

I don't know if the illumination continues all night but we have been past at least three times before midnight to see reasonable illumination. Not brightly lighted but you get the shape and know what you are seeing.

Mike in Ohio

Thanks Mike!