NCL Latitudes Dilemma...

calex

After our Panama Canal cruise in November on the NCL Star out of Miami, we will be 8 points short of the Platinum Reward level thanks to the extra point per night from January’s Latitudes Rewards Insider Offer, and an extra point per night booking 9 months in advance.

Since March’s Latitudes Rewards Insider Offer includes the 4-day Bahamas cruise out of Miami with an extra point per day, I was thinking about arriving a week early in Miami and take a 4-day ‘pre-cruise’ to the Bahamas before our 13-day Panama Canal cruise to get the 8 points. The incremental costs would be a couple extra days in Southern Florida and the discount Bahamas cruise fare. I am already going to be gone from work for 2 weeks, so why not an extra week?

What do the innovator thinkers in the Cruise Critic world think? Would this be a worthwhile investment to get to Platinum? Are the benefits at the Platinum level worth it? Is there such a thing as cruise burnout?

I do think that this would be a good plan if you feel like doing it.

We have almost the same situation (except we have been Platinums already for a while now), we have had the repo cruise on Dawn booked since late 2012 and just few weeks ago decided to extend the trip with a pre-cruise cruise on Getaway since the price was really close to what we'd have spent staying in Miami anyway.

What comes to Platinum perks, only you can decide if they are worth it - personally I like getting a speciality dinner for two each and free laundry on every cruise - that's more than $100 benefits right there. :)

I forgot to add: depending on the exact dates, you might not get Platinum keycard for the PC cruise from the checkin because the cards are preprinted and it takes time after disembarkation until the points on your account are updated.

Just contact the Cruise Consultant on Star after boarding to find out how to proceed if your keycard still says "Gold", people in Guest Services or in the terminal check-in can't help you with that issue.

We are doing just that. . .the Sky prior to our Pearl cruise next year. I am 3 points shy of Platinum. It does feel a little like I am 'buying' my Platinum status instead of earning it with cruises I would have already taken, but DH is OK with it and he's the money man. Also, he's never been to GSC and wants to see it. Do hope we make it. I am 2 for 2 and know most people aren't so lucky with GSC.

I forgot to add: depending on the exact dates, you might not get Platinum keycard for the PC cruise from the checkin because the cards are preprinted and it takes time after disembarkation until the points on your account are updated.

Just contact the Cruise Consultant on Star after boarding to find out how to proceed if your keycard still says "Gold", people in Guest Services or in the terminal check-in can't help you with that issue.

They won't be platiumn till after there 13 day cruise anyway.. The op said they are 4 days short after the cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...What do the innovator thinkers in the Cruise Critic world think? Would this be a worthwhile investment to get to Platinum? Are the benefits at the Platinum level worth it? ...

Only you can decide if the extra perks at Plat are worth it. Some people will take advantage of them all. Others could care less.

But, if you would like to take another cruise anyways, then why not?

A 13 day cruise is way long enough. I would not want to get tired and book a cruise right before that huge Panama cruise. There will always be next time.

But that is just me. I would never book cruises just to get a latitudes upgrade. They will happen soon enough. I would want to cruise for the right reasons.

NO! Your spending way more money to get 2 free dinners at Le Bistro cost total $40 a handful of choc $10 laundry $25 total total benefits value = $75

You do the math.

You didn't count the wine bottles that are easily $30 each.

You do the math.

Also what comes to the price of the pre-cruise cruise, it is a cruise itself - OP would still get everything included in the cruise fare, it wouldn't be like they are paying for the points alone.

Edited by Demonyte

They won't be platiumn till after there 13 day cruise anyway.. The op said they are 4 days short after the cruise

Nope. From OP's post: "Since March’s Latitudes Rewards Insider Offer includes the 4-day Bahamas cruise out of Miami with an extra point per day, I was thinking about arriving a week early in Miami and take a 4-day ‘pre-cruise’ to the Bahamas before our 13-day Panama Canal cruise to get the 8 points."

NO! Your spending way more money to get 2 free dinners at Le Bistro cost total $40 a handful of choc $10 laundry $25 total total benefits value = $75

You do the math.

I agree with you - it would cost much more than what you get from being a Platinum. But the calculation above is a bit to low, since I guess they would BOTH be Platinum then.

So total value of their Platinum benefits would be:

4 free dinners at Le Bistro $80, 2 bottles of nice wine with the meal (2x$40), Dessert chocolate in your cabin plus chocolate covered strawberries ($10-15), 2 x laundry $25, plus sparkling wine in your cabin $20 (?). That leads to a total of $240-$245.

Plus as platinum you can use the concierge service, and get priority tender tickets if the ship is anchored in any of the ports. And of course the Platinum "Behind-the-scenes"-tour.

Personally I would not have any problems taking the 4 day cruise before the Panama Canal cruise - the longest cruise I have taken so far is 21 days, and that was fantastic. I would have loved to stay on even longer if I could.... :)

Edited by TrumpyNOR

A 13 day cruise is way long enough. I would not want to get tired and book a cruise right before that huge Panama cruise. There will always be next time.

But that is just me.

Yep, people's opinions differ. We are soon onboard for 19 nights straight (well, one night in between cruises) and would happily stay for couple of more days. :D

Edited by Demonyte

OP -- If you plan to be in Miami a week early, look at the Sky 11/10 for $184 (4 days) and 11/14 (3 days) for $169. Inside cabin rates. That would put you back in Miami 11/17 for the Star.

The extra costs would be port charges and taxes plus the gratuities.

The benefit would be no hotel or meal costs for the week.

If you get double points for the four day cruise, you will be platinum before the Panama cruise.

I believe you would be ahead dollar-wise due to the cost of hotel and meals in Miami.

You may qualify for some OBC on the Sky cruises.

Edited by swedish weave

Calex,

If you're considering this from a purely financial standpoint, you would need to have platinum status and actually use the perks on several cruises in order to "pay" for your Sky trip (as pointed out above). However, if you will thoroughly enjoy your time on the Sky and the Latitudes status is just a bonus, that is a different ballgame:).

In answer to your question about "cruise burnout"...I haven't experienced it yet! A lot of us on CC really love to cruise, so we're probably a very biased sample:D!

Happy decision making. Enjoy the Panama Canal cruise and the Sky, if you choose to add that cruise.

Edited by cruis247g

Nope. From OP's post: "Since March’s Latitudes Rewards Insider Offer includes the 4-day Bahamas cruise out of Miami with an extra point per day, I was thinking about arriving a week early in Miami and take a 4-day ‘pre-cruise’ to the Bahamas before our 13-day Panama Canal cruise to get the 8 points."

After our Panama Canal cruise in November on the NCL Star out of Miami, we will be 8 points short of the Platinum Reward level thanks to the extra point per night from January’s Latitudes Rewards Insider Offer, and an extra point per night booking 9 months in advance.

So as the pp said, even if they take the 4 day before the PC cruise, they will still not achieve platinum until after the panama canal portion. At least, that's the way I am reading it. :confused:

So as the pp said, even if they take the 4 day before the PC cruise, they will still not achieve platinum until after the panama canal portion. At least, that's the way I am reading it. :confused:

You have not calculated that the 4 day cruise is a Latitudes Rewards Insider Offer which means they will get an extra point per night. 4+4= 8

To the OP I would do it in a heart beat. Never have suffered cruise burnout and my longest cruise to date is 39 days. Have a fantastic time whatever you decide.

Rochelle

A brief summary of the Latitudes program:

How to earn points toward the next tier.

Earn Rewards Points

◦Earn 1 point for every cruise night.

◦Earn 1 additional point per night for reserving a Suite or in The Haven.*

◦Earn 1 additional point per night when booking nine months or more in advance.

◦Earn 1 additional point per night when booking a Latitudes Insider Offer.

*Full fare suites booked when reservation was originally made. Does not include mini-suites

Rewards Point Structure

TIER REWARDS POINTS

Bronze 1 - 19

Silver 20 - 47

Gold 48 - 75

Platinum 76+

Special milestone gifts are provided for guests who achieve 250, 500, 700 and 1,000 points.

You have not calculated that the 4 day cruise is a Latitudes Rewards Insider Offer which means they will get an extra point per night. 4+4= 8

To the OP I would do it in a heart beat. Never have suffered cruise burnout and my longest cruise to date is 39 days. Have a fantastic time whatever you decide.

Rochelle

Without the extra cruise they say they will be 8 points short AFTER the Panama Canal cruise, so adding this extra one will just ensure that they are platinum following the canal.

The Latitudes offer is necessary for them to get to platinum in this time frame, but either way they won't be platinum for the canal cruise.

I don't think anyone was forgetting the extra points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

Without the extra cruise they say they will be 8 points short AFTER the Panama Canal cruise, so adding this extra one will just ensure that they are platinum following the canal.

Yep, I stand corrected - brain activity after vodka shots last night do not mix and match. ;) Sorry all. :)

Edited by Demonyte

The Latitudes offer is necessary for them to get to platinum in this time frame, but either way they won't be platinum for the canal cruise.

I don't think anyone was forgetting the extra points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oops -- I misread the post. Thought the 8 points were needed to get to platinum for the Panama cruise.

You didn't count the wine bottles that are easily $30 each.

You do the math.

Also what comes to the price of the pre-cruise cruise, it is a cruise itself - OP would still get everything included in the cruise fare, it wouldn't be like they are paying for the points alone.

I don't put a price on the cheap champagne or the *****l tastin wine that is drinkable. Maybe $2.50 each wholesale.

I don't put a price on the cheap champagne or the *****l tastin wine that is drinkable. Maybe $2.50 each wholesale.

Actually there have recently been posts about the VIP complimentary wine list that is used for the Platinum dinners, the selection on that menu is quite decent and nowhere near $2.50 each wholesale - unlike the house wines they will deliver to your cabin before the cruise.

Edited by Demonyte