No limes on the reflection

Can somebody please explain to me how a cruise ship sets sail for 2 consecutive sailings without any limes. I am currently on the Reflection and there is not a single lime to be had anywhere on the ship. So far I have had a mojito with lemon and offered a corona with lemon. Oh well, other than that the ship and cruise have been absolutely amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's Crazy! What is even more crazy is that I just got off the Silhouette and they sailed with no limes, picked them up in San Juan and then they were limited for the final couple of days. Strange!

We just got off the Connie and we did not have limes any last week either. :rolleyes:

Lime prices have shot way up and supply is short. In Mexico the price per killo has tripled in the last 2 weeks. My guess is that's the reason

This article posted just today actually, says lime process have gone from $14 a flat to $100 a flat recently.

http://www.pe.com/business/business-headlines/20140324-lime-shortage-rising-prices-make-for-sour-days-at-the-bar.ece

Even Mexican ones are hard to get due to insect and winter damages.

So probably combo of both increased price, as well as plain old shortages of supply make it hard to fill full orders, even at alternate ports.

There are a couple of events (cooking demos, galley tours etc.) where the executive chef does q&a - would be great opportunity to raise this. It seems quite ridiculous so I hope he comes up with something good. :D

(an even better follow-up question would whether his former boss, one Mr. Ramsay, would find that acceptable :D:D)

Heaven forbid that one should go on a cruise and not be able to get any limes. Its an absolute disgrace and the Executive Head Chef should be severely chastised.

Back in the day this would never have happened. Soon we will get cruisers coming home after their seven day sojourn with scurvy. I can think of nothing worse than drinking an ice cold Corona in the evening sun with a wedge of lime. Give me strength.

Edited by Beanb41

Heaven forbid that one should go on a cruise and not be able to get any limes. Its an absolute disgrace and the Executive Head Chef should be severely chastised.

Back in the day this would never have happened. Soon we will get cruisers coming home after their seven day sojourn with scurvy. I can think of nothing worse than drinking an ice cold Corona in the evening sun with a wedge of lime. Give me strength.

Your sarcasm is well noted. No reason to be a Jerk about it. By the way it wouldn't be the head chef who head should roll it would roll it would be the food and beverage manager who places orders. Like I said it was puzzling to me and now I have my answer as to why and how widespread the issue is. Not a big issue, there are plenty of drinks that can be had that don't require a lime.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As someone who works in the food industry I can tell you that this price increase on limes is just crazy. We have local restaurants not using them at all because of it. I love lime in almost everything I drink except red wine so I guess I will have a lot of that when we sail Reflection soon if they don't have limes yet.

Article here, in Orange County Register (CA) about lime prices last week. Restaurants paying $100 a case for what was $14 three weeks ago. One place is asking customers to trade a bag of limes for a 25-cent margarita.

Mexico had a lot of crop damage in the south cutting supply and citrus growers in Apatzingan Valley have banned together to limit supply to guarantee a minimum price of 23 pesos per kilo, or 80 cents per pound.

Maybe Celebrity can't get them or don't want to pay the prices. Maybe they'll institute a lime surcharge like they don in the past on fuel.

I'm buying a lime tree tomorrow.

Edited by sasset

When we were on the Reflection there were lines all over the place. lines to get into the theatre, lines for the tenders, lines for eating in Blu. It is hard to believe that there are no lines on the Reflection, or on any other Celebrity Ship for that matter. :cool:

While it would not be the end of life as I know it, I would actually be a smidge disappointed if I couldn't get lime in my Corona. It is my drink that I generally only have on a cruise. I would still enjoy my cruise, and I am sure they would have other things for me to drink.

They ran out on the Eclipse last week too. Several workers in Blu went to every bar and restaurant in search of limes for my morning papaya. They eventually were told that they ran out due to the shortage in Mexico.

Wow.

I had no idea.

I have a lime in my refrigerator - maybe I should put it on Ebay?

(OP - sorry - I don't mean to make light. It's a pain to go on vacation and the ship not have something so simple. Does everyone remember the escargot (snail) shortage a couple of years ago?)

But if anyone wants to bid on my lime feel free. :D

Wow.

I had no idea.

I have a lime in my refrigerator - maybe I should put it on Ebay?

(OP - sorry - I don't mean to make light. It's a pain to go on vacation and the ship not have something so simple. Does everyone remember the escargot (snail) shortage a couple of years ago?)

But if anyone wants to bid on my lime feel free. :D

I LOL'd at that. I had no idea about the limes. Apparently we get a lot of our vegetables from Mexico during the winter. Last year I had to practically take out a second mortgage on the house just to buy vegetables ($3.00 for a lettuce? $4.00 for a brocolli??). Too bad about the lime situation.

Can somebody please explain to me how a cruise ship sets sail for 2 consecutive sailings without any limes. I am currently on the Reflection and there is not a single lime to be had anywhere on the ship. So far I have had a mojito with lemon and offered a corona with lemon. Oh well, other than that the ship and cruise have been absolutely amazing.

It's not just Celebrity and the Reflection. They are also talking about it on the RCI boards. Look at this thread. There is some good info about what's happening.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2014426

Although, I have a Key Lime tree in my backyard. I'm seeing dollar signs. ;)

Just checked my online grocery store and found 1lb bag for 1.99 or individual limes on sale for 50 cents. I don't think Peapod will deliver to the ship. Sorry

2ara4ezu.jpg

9ahetapu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Iamcruzin

As we all know, our cruise contract specifies that if the price of oil exceeds $60 a barrel, the cruise line reserves the right to impose a surcharge. I think the cruise lines could keep the flow of limes running smoothly if they reserved the right to impose a lime surcharge should the price of limes exceeds $25 a flat.;)