Cruise Line Changes itinerary --- passengers upset

firerunner

[quote name='rharejr']this is the number one reason you don't book and prepay for an excursion outside of the cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL][/QUOTE]

The #1 reason I wouldn't book with an outside company is if they had a no refund under any circumstances policy. But I've never come across an outside vendor with such a policy. If the cruise ship doesn't successfully get you to the port, your money is generally refunded as that is completely out of your control and not your fault. If they don't do that, then you don't book with them. I refuse to be limited to cruise excursions only. Especially since they are often overpriced. I like options.

[quote name='rharejr']this is the number one reason you don't book and prepay for an excursion outside of the cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL][/QUOTE]

Book, yes you should, no problem. Prepay, not only no but hell no!

I only book non-ship excursions as long as I don't have to prepay. Victor Bodden in Roatan is a good example of this. Book it via the Internet so that you have a seat guaranteed but you don't pay until you sit in that seat.

Most tour companies will refund your money if the ships do not dock. Last year when Carnival cancelled my Dream cruise because of the engine problems, all my money for the private tours I reserved was refunded without any problems.

It totally blows my mind how selfish people are :eek:.....there were 40+ peoples lives that were saved....does that not mean anything to these people....There are plenty of things to do in the Bahamas...or stay on the ship and enjoy the waterslides....No wonders why this world is going to crap...it's because of people like this!!!!!!

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]So sad, this would have been a great teachable moment for those kids that sometimes life isn't fair. And you need to roll with the punches. As well as how lucky they are to live where they do with freedom and luxury as taking a cruise. But instead these parents are teaching their kids how to be selfish and to have entitlement mentality. Again, so sad. [/FONT][/COLOR]:(

I mean, I'm with you all on this. Disappointed, yes. Of course I would be, especially if I booked a cruise hoping to go somewhere specific. And often I do. But, Itineraries are not guaranteed. They never are. You want to go to Mexico? Go to Mexico. On a land Vacation!! Then you will go to Mexico, but even that isn't guaranteed. There may be a hurricane, your flight may be delayed etc. I mean what in the heck was Carnival to do? Let these people drown? Get over it people. You still had a vacation. I'm sitting here wishing it was in the budget right now to cruise. Wishing I just hadn't paid $13,000 for a new sewer and water line to be installed in my house. I would have gladly taken your cruise to the Bahamas!!!

[quote name='sjn911']Sent from my iPhone using [URL="http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1"]Tapatalk[/URL][/qu]

Something like this is so neat because he was such a cool guide and you could chat a bit..getting to know people is so nice from different areas..rain probably helps that a bit sitting it out there, I soo agree flexible, adaptable it is so important and a learning curve all our lives and when kids see the fortune we have true fortune..they may want to do things to help this country/and world too. too...Sarah:)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those guys depend on word of mouth from their customers. If they feel you didn't get your money's worth and would go home unhappy, it hurts their business. Even if the reasons the tour didn't live up to expectations wasn't their fault. If they give people the impression that they will be more than fair when it comes to that stuff, people will remember and even though they were disappointed, they didn't get ripped off. Good business sense from the tour company and good for the person who made sure they took care of the guy who did his best to give them a good experience despite the bad weather. Most tour people I have dealt with in the islands are this way. In a lot of countries, in order to work in tourism, people have to go through thorough training and get certification.

Now, in carnival's case, in this circumstance they were right. I rip a lot of stuff they do but it is specifically stated when you book that these ports of call are not guaranteed. They will make every effort to keep their itinerary but if they have to divert it is within their rights and they don't have to compensate people at all. They are in a tough spot. If they press onto a port of call where wx is bad and people have bad experiences, they will somehow get heat for it. Or if people get sick or hurt tendering in bad conditions, who will get sued and badmouthed? Unfortunately, in every group there will be a few malcontents and loudmouths who ruin it for everyone. Carnival does have to protect itself from the few who ruin it for everyone else.

Without getting the chance to read through this entire thread, I nonetheless got the gist of what it is about. Even if carnival didn't do this for entirely humanitarian reasons, it is still good pr when they need all the positive press they can get. And selfish people will be selfish. They probably act like that at home too when everything doesn't go exactly according to plan. The world revolves around them after all. It's not like they didn't get a cruise vacation, they just diverted out of their way a little and saved some people in the process. They just make themselves look like horse's behinds in the process. I'm sure if they had loved ones in need of rescue, they would expect any vessel to do whatever it took to get them.

[quote name='FlyingCruiserNJ']Without getting the chance to read through this entire thread, I nonetheless got the gist of what it is about. Even if carnival didn't do this for entirely humanitarian reasons, it is still good pr when they need all the positive press they can get. And selfish people will be selfish. They probably act like that at home too when everything doesn't go exactly according to plan. The world revolves around them after all. It's not like they didn't get a cruise vacation, they just diverted out of their way a little and saved some people in the process. They just make themselves look like horse's behinds in the process. I'm sure if they had loved ones in need of rescue, they would expect any vessel to do whatever it took to get them.[/QUOTE]

Just as an FYI, Carnival did this because they were ordered to by a US military vessel. They didn't have a choice in the matter (unless the captain of an unarmed civilian vessel is truly stupid enough to argue with the captain of an armed military vessel which just isn't going to happen).

[quote name='Out to sea!']Just as an FYI, Carnival did this because they were ordered to by a US military vessel. They didn't have a choice in the matter (unless the captain of an unarmed civilian vessel is truly stupid enough to argue with the captain of an armed military vessel which just isn't going to happen).[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I did not know that. I guess it made sense for them to get that order if they were close by the action. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see carnival try to recoup any costs they incurred in complying with this order from someone, namely the US government. Do you know if the coast guard collected the rescued people or let them stay on the ship until they could go thru customs and immigration back on the mainland?

This happened to us on one of our cruises. You wouldn't believe how many people were disgruntled over this. Here's the fact International maritime law clearly requires ships that come upon other vessels in distress to render assistance, if they can do so without endangering themselves.

[quote name='FlyingCruiserNJ']Interesting. I did not know that. I guess it made sense for them to get that order if they were close by the action. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see carnival try to recoup any costs they incurred in complying with this order from someone, namely the US government. Do you know if the coast guard collected the rescued people or let them stay on the ship until they could go thru customs and immigration back on the mainland?[/QUOTE]

Coast Guard took the people which is what was part of the delay. They were then returned to Cuba per Wet/Dry foot rule.

I'm not surprised at their reaction. It's sad but a fact that we've become a self importand & self entitled beings. Not everyone but many, all you need to do is take a look around you in your daily lives.

I can understand the disappointment end of it but that's about as far as I'd go.
Feel bad for the people plucked from the sea.....all they want is a better life and freedom.

[quote name='Out to sea!']Just as an FYI, Carnival did this because they were ordered to by a US military vessel. They didn't have a choice in the matter (unless the captain of an unarmed civilian vessel is truly stupid enough to argue with the captain of an armed military vessel which just isn't going to happen).[/quote]

What military vessel?

Yes, I would be upset if I had something planned. But all of us that cruise know that port changes are always a possibility. Good time to teach your children about change and disappointment instead of talking to the media and whining about it. Carnival owes them nothing.

[quote name='rdler']As a person who was on this cruise, it was a very sobering experience to watch unfold. Imagine making the decision to take your children and babies aboard something that only arguably passes for a boat and ply the rough waters in a search for freedom and a better future.

We too had an excursion in Cozumel that we were looking forward to. Well, that pales in comparison to the social studies lesson my son and I got that Tuesday.

Unfortunately, those migrants will be returned to Cuba. Alive, but back to conditions that they found they intolerable. I hope that God watches over them all.

I am embarrassed for, and ashamed of, those folks from Lakeland. While Nassau is not the greatest place in the world, I truly did not hear many people complaining.[/QUOTE]

Just WOW!!! I truly think if I ever met you in person I would really really like you :)

[quote name='airmj2123']Coast Guard took the people which is what was part of the delay. They were then returned to Cuba per Wet/Dry foot rule.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I figured that is what they did but wasn't sure. If they weren't picked out of the sea they probably would have drowned but they will be sent back to cuba anyway which they obviously wanted desperately to escape. Unfortunately they will probably try again in the future and the odds are not on their side in making it safely to the US alive.

[quote name='FlyingCruiserNJ']Interesting. I did not know that. I guess it made sense for them to get that order if they were close by the action. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see carnival try to recoup any costs they incurred in complying with this order from someone, namely the US government. Do you know if the coast guard collected the rescued people or let them stay on the ship until they could go thru customs and immigration back on the mainland?[/QUOTE]

The Cubans did not make it to america therefore they were returned to Cuba. The Coast Guard picked up the Cubans from the Ecstasy a few hours after the rescue and returned them.

[quote name='Out to sea!']The Cubans did not make it to america therefore they were returned to Cuba. The Coast Guard picked up the Cubans from the Ecstasy a few hours after the rescue and returned them.[/QUOTE]

It's still sad though. They almost lost their lives to take a chance escaping what was probably terrible living conditions and now that they didn't make it to the US but didn't die trying either, they will probably try again later and won't get as lucky as they did this time. There are probably hundreds if not thousands of Cubans who try the same thing yearly who don't make it and nobody ever hears about. I also wondered, if it was a US-flagged ship that first rescued them, if that would be considered USA or they would still have to make it to the shores of the US to be eligible for refugee status.

[quote name='FlyingCruiserNJ'] I also wondered, if it was a US-flagged ship that first rescued them, if that would be considered USA or they would still have to make it to the shores of the US to be eligible for refugee status.[/QUOTE]

I believe they actually have to make it to dry land