Cruise Line Changes itinerary --- passengers upset

firerunner

In 2008 I was on the Miracle that was sailing out of New York. I can't remember the exact itinerary, but I think we were supposed to go to San Juan, St. Thomas and somewhere else. It was hurricane season so they had to change ports. They brought us to Port Canaveral, either Freeport or Nassau, and NEWPORT, RHODE ISLAND. There was one man on the boat that I will never forget. He basically started a riot in the lobby. There were a lot of people hrs were parading around, screaming that they wanted a refund. It was total chaos!

I saw a youtube video a few years ago that sounds exactly like what you describe! The way the people were behaving looked frightening ~ I don't know if it was the same incident but I'd like to believe something like that was a one time occasion!

I saw a youtube video a few years ago that sounds exactly like what you describe! The way the people were behaving looked frightening ~ I don't know if it was the same incident but I'd like to believe something like that was a one time occasion!

Oh yes!! I just looked on YouTube and it has got to be the same video. I searched for "Carnival Miracle riot" and the exact 8/29/08 sailing popped up, along with the one man I was describing!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Captain did NOT have a choice in whether to assist these people or not. Maritime regulations that the nearest ships in the area, whether merchant, military or cruise ship, alter course to render assistance. Period. No choice.

The people in this article disgust me. They can't teach their kids to make lemonade out of lemons. They are teaching them to be entitled and not have any empathy, sympathy or respect for maritime law.

Selfish, selfish, selfish! These people should be ashamed of themselves. I also want to make it known that not all Floridians have this mentality. Actually, I am ashamed for these people. As all of us southern women say from time to time, God bless, and it doesn't mean what you think it means ;P

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry to say, but that is not a BIG surprise. The mentality of some people today is " It's all about me." No matter anything else, they think they are more important than anyone else. Their wants and desires are more important. I will no get off my soap box.

As a person who was on this cruise, it was a very sobering experience to watch unfold. Imagine making the decision to take your children and babies aboard something that only arguably passes for a boat and ply the rough waters in a search for freedom and a better future.

We too had an excursion in Cozumel that we were looking forward to. Well, that pales in comparison to the social studies lesson my son and I got that Tuesday.

Unfortunately, those migrants will be returned to Cuba. Alive, but back to conditions that they found they intolerable. I hope that God watches over them all.

I am embarrassed for, and ashamed of, those folks from Lakeland. While Nassau is not the greatest place in the world, I truly did not hear many people complaining.

One can not underestimate the beauty of learning real life in travel, flexibility, and gratitude....and planting seeds for future study and inspiration what can be done for making the world a better place one day..plus still being grateful for a beach, or a museum, or shopping, or snorkling in a different place. Wow..could end up being the best vacation of someone's young learning life..great mom and dad..Sarah

When I was 20 I studied in Caen, Normandie France during the 1980 Iranian hostage crisis when Carter was president..we had to meet as Americans off campus by end of spring...we got better at way more than our foreign language..and learned about a multiple national issue involving so many angles...

We just have to keep praying IMHO for all nations..and that we can still be a help to ourselves and others..IMHO..we are so lucky we can still travel at all with all the current events and world issues we see brewing...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

If I was with my kids and we did not end up going to Cozumel and instead went to Nassau, I can think of many things to do with them that would be quite similar to Cozumel. If they could not help their kids to adapt and have a good time at another port, there is something wrong.

Personally, I think the parents were probably the most upset and they are just using their kids as scapegoats and to garner sympathy. :mad: Seriously, who would care if a couple of parents were upset, but throw a few kids in the mix and you'll get the "oh, poor darlings" folks coming out of the woodwork.

As a person who was on this cruise, it was a very sobering experience to watch unfold. Imagine making the decision to take your children and babies aboard something that only arguably passes for a boat and ply the rough waters in a search for freedom and a better future.

We too had an excursion in Cozumel that we were looking forward to. Well, that pales in comparison to the social studies lesson my son and I got that Tuesday.

Unfortunately, those migrants will be returned to Cuba. Alive, but back to conditions that they found they intolerable. I hope that God watches over them all.

I am embarrassed for, and ashamed of, those folks from Lakeland. While Nassau is not the greatest place in the world, I truly did not hear many people complaining.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I was not on this cruise but your attitude towards the situation is one that I would hope most people take. Unfortunately it is the vocal minority which cause problems, but end up looking like self centered you know what's. You could teach those parents a thing or two in humility and humanity. So entitled....grrr....those people make me mad.

In 2008 I was on the Miracle that was sailing out of New York. I can't remember the exact itinerary, but I think we were supposed to go to San Juan, St. Thomas and somewhere else. It was hurricane season so they had to change ports. They brought us to Port Canaveral, either Freeport or Nassau, and NEWPORT, RHODE ISLAND. There was one man on the boat that I will never forget. He basically started a riot in the lobby. There were a lot of people hrs were parading around, screaming that they wanted a refund. It was total chaos!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A good friend of mine and his wife were on that cruise! They are in their 50's ?late 40's at that time) and said they had a great time. They were making a big joke when they returned about "who knew that Rhode Island was in the Caribbean?!?" Funny they never mentioned anything about the riots. The fact of the matter is, there are some people that will never be happy and always feel like they are entitled to some sort of restitution. It's unfortunate but true.

My very first cruise, was a nine night out of New York on princess. The only reason we chose this itinerary was because it went to Bermuda. Well there was a storm and we never made it to Bermuda which would've been my first ever port of call. All five of us still had an incredible time on the cruise and it got me hooked on cruising. Sometimes you just have to make the best of it. (Still want to get to Bermuda one day though lol)

I have no words. I went to Grand Turk shortly after Hurricane Ike hit. We did the tour of the island. At the time, about 95% of Grand Turk was still without power -- the only part that had power was the Carnival Port area and some hotels. Could Carnival have by-passed Grand Turk and taken us to another destination? Yes. However, it was a very humbling experience to see what we take for granted every day. I would not have changed that stop for anything. Perhaps these families and their "disappointed" children should experience something like this to make them appreciate the simpler things in life.

I hope and pray carnival stands firm on giving these people nothing.

I mean how insensitive and self centered can a family be? The best part is, they made themselves look like Complete jerks by even complaining.

I have read both articles several times, and I'm trying to figure out why these families are being insulted. Called selfish, bad parents, etc.

The only reason I see is they expected some compensation, which they did not get, rightly so, from Carnival, so they choose to air it through the media, which was wrong.

No where in the article do they state the recue should not have occurred. It's quoted they were happy to be part of they experience and was glad to help someone out.

Can't we focus on the fact they did not understand the contract instead of throwing stones.

Well said keith75! I am disgusted by the several threads regarding this issue. A great opportunity for parents to show kids how to be unselfish and dare I say human, civilized or perhaps caring! I do not find children to be at fault but the parent. I do not use the word Adult because we are not dealing with adults! We are dealing with grown up spoiled, selfish creatures.

A condition of going on a cruise is the passenger's agreement that the itinerary is subject to change as stated in the cruise contract that the passenger accepted. Itinerary changes happen all the time for a variety of reasons. If the passenger doesn't want to agree to the cruise terms, they should have chosen a different vacation to begin with.

I think this "news" story is a non-story. It is unfortunate that some people want to displace responsibility for their own actions, in this case their acceptance of the cruise contract, onto others. Especially in this case where lives were at stake, I can't believe these passengers are whining about being inconvenienced. That doesn't speak well for their value systems IMO. How would they have felt if it was them or one of their children that needed help? The Golden Rule applies.

The lesson that these parents should be teaching their children ought to be what takes priority in life. This was a teachable moment for these parents and they missed the boat.

Because it sounds like they didn't care if the poor little Cuban kids drown as long as his future A holes got to swim with the dolphins.

I did not read this in either article.

They were upset about the itinerary change, which they need to understand happens. They should not have aired their grievances in the media thinking it would change Carnivals policies. That is the only mistake they made.

Thank you for saying what I was thinking, but more kindly and eloquently.