Cruise Line Changes itinerary --- passengers upset

firerunner

I did not read this in either article.

They were upset about the itinerary change, which they need to understand happens. They should not have aired their grievances in the media thinking it would change Carnivals policies. That is the only mistake they made.

I have no problem in anyone being upset about itinerary changes when needed other than the fault of the cruiseline.

But to complain about it publicly or expect compensation? They're gonna find very few sympathetic ears. Drop the sym, and that's what they are.

I have read both articles several times, and I'm trying to figure out why these families are being insulted. Called selfish, bad parents, etc.

The only reason I see is they expected some compensation, which they did not get, rightly so, from Carnival, so they choose to air it through the media, which was wrong.

No where in the article do they state the recue should not have occurred. It's quoted they were happy to be part of they experience and was glad to help someone out.

Can't we focus on the fact they did not understand the contract instead of throwing stones.

I think what has most people in an uproar is the following quote “It was a multitude of things," Bailey said. "The kids weren’t happy. They didn’t have any fun and then they didn’t get to do what they had planned on doing. So it was a terrible experience."

It does come across as being whiney and self-centered.

My very first cruise in 2004 the itinerary was changed a number of times; one port was canceled due to political unrest, another port was replaced because the original port had been destroyed by a hurricane less than a week before, and another port was replaced because a hurricane was forming over the island. Port order was also shuffled around. It never even occurred to me to complain. I thought safety always came first.

Bahamas aren't kid-friendly? What a joke. I barely want to get off the ship in Nassau but to say it's not kid-friendly is ridiculous.

I bet this family also:

• Jumped into elevators before people could get off
  • Slammed their cabin doors every time they entered their cabins
  • Put their towels on deck chairs at 7am and didn't come back until 2pm
  • Let their kids run rampant over the ship
  • Let their kids use the hot tubs in the Serenity area
  • Ordered one of everything at dinner and only ate a bite of each
  • Cut in line at the buffet
  • Disembarked in Zone 1 even though they were in Zone 12
  • Demanded a full refund and a free future cruise

If the ship had continued on to cozumel my guess is they would have had a much shorter time in port. Either way these people were not going to be happy.

Those kids are not teens.....they would have easily been distracted by a positive minded adult.

Here is one of those golden parenting opportunities to demonstrate how you sometime you need to do the right thing even if it inconveniences yourself.

What do they change this into?? If we complain maybe we can capitalize on the misfortune of someone else. Great role model...teach your children well.

If they felt the children were hard done by they could make it up to them another time. That's how lessons are learned.

just my 2 cents worth

I think the lives of those stranded is more important than me missing a port, even though they went out there on their own risks. Its the duty of the Captain and Officers to assist those stranded in times like these, and I wouldn't be upset that they did. I think the report to the news media was an overkill, and they'll do anything to get a story in which they think will boost their viewership and ratings.

And these people are teachers? No wonder American students fare so poorly in international standings!

I really wish the reporter had asked these clowns what they would have done differently (other than offering compensation). Would they have violated Coast Guard and international laws so their little darlings wouldn't have missed Coz?

This was a teaching moment and these parents (two were teachers) missed the opportunity to share with their kids that when people do the right thing there are sometimes consequences. Instead, they taught their kids about whining and entitlement.

I think what has most people in an uproar is the following quote “It was a multitude of things," Bailey said. "The kids weren’t happy. They didn’t have any fun and then they didn’t get to do what they had planned on doing. So it was a terrible experience."

It does come across as being whiney and self-centered.

My very first cruise in 2004 the itinerary was changed a number of times; one port was canceled due to political unrest, another port was replaced because the original port had been destroyed by a hurricane less than a week before, and another port was replaced because a hurricane was forming over the island. Port order was also shuffled around. It never even occurred to me to complain. I thought safety always came first.

Yes for me it was that quote and the one right before it. "So they said they lost money, their sense of security and their faith in the cruise line."

If they were just complaining about the cost factor/discrepency between the cost of the cruise including Mexico, I might not have agreed, but wouldn't really care that they were trying to recoup the money. They could have complained about that on its own.

The fact that they added in how the stop to save the people which caused them to miss a stop ruined their entire cruise, made it a terrible experience and caused them to lose their sense of security is what I don't agree with. Like others have said, it was a good opportunity for a valuable life lesson, instead, they chose to teach a different lesson.

Edited by 1kaper

I try to see both sides of every situation. However, as parents, it is up to us to teach our children to be better people, and these parents missed an opportunity to do their jobs as parents. If one of my kids (and we have four, 20 to 27) had whined about missing a port, I would have explained how blessed we were to be able to be a part of the rescue. If they continued to gripe, they would have spent the rest of the cruise in the cabin. Yeah, I'm that mom. :rolleyes:

Exactly.

Another thread about whiney people? The contract clearly states the itinerary is not set in stone and is subject to change. Would they rather let 41 people drown so they could o to Mexico and not disappoint their kids? :rolleyes:

Ditto...

I have read both articles several times, and I'm trying to figure out why these families are being insulted. Called selfish, bad parents, etc.

The only reason I see is they expected some compensation, which they did not get, rightly so, from Carnival, so they choose to air it through the media, which was wrong.

No where in the article do they state the recue should not have occurred. It's quoted they were happy to be part of they experience and was glad to help someone out.

Can't we focus on the fact they did not understand the contract instead of throwing stones.

Here's my take on it: These families were, no doubt, happy that the ship they were on was able to rescue the refugees from their life-threatening emergency. It was only later that they realized that the time it took for rescue would keep them from reaching Mexico. It seems that this is when they became upset. While it is no doubt disappointing to miss a port that one has one's heart set on, it is perplexing to me that these families would be "carrying on" about it in light of the reasons for missing Mexico. In my opinion, you cannot separate the two; the two incidents are cause and effect. So in effect, they are complaining that the ship missed Mexico because of the rescue. While they are not saying that the rescue shouldn't have taken place, they do seem to feel that the ship should have continued on to Mexico anyway. It is as if they are comparing the horrible time they had in Bahamas to the great time they would have had if only the ship could have continued on to Cozumel all against the backdrop of a life or death emergency. It is this attitude that they appear to have that I find distasteful and a bit selfish.

Edited by oncruisecontrol

Are you kidding me is this some kind of joke or something?How can people be so self centered.Might as well let the people float around on the Ocean so we dont upset little Tommy and Sally It amazes me that some people can even look in the mirror every morning :eek::eek:

Ships don't have an option about saving folks in these situations.

Are you talking about saving the people lost at sea? Because if you are you should check your facts.Not only is it a Moral obligation I am pretty sure there are more then one law in the books about rendering aid to people in distress:):)

Are you talking about saving the people lost at sea? Because if you are you should check your facts.Not only is it a Moral obligation I am pretty sure there are more then one law in the books about rendering aid to people in distress:):)

I thought that person was actually saying they (the ship) have no choice, that they must rescue the people.

I think you may have misunderstood Elaine5715's comment. She is saying that the ONLY option ships have IS to render aid. In other words, she is saying that ships can't "opt out" of helping mariners in distress.

Better have another cup of coffee dehill...that's what she said.:D

I try to see both sides of every situation. However, as parents, it is up to us to teach our children to be better people, and these parents missed an opportunity to do their jobs as parents. If one of my kids (and we have four, 20 to 27) had whined about missing a port, I would have explained how blessed we were to be able to be a part of the rescue. If they continued to gripe, they would have spent the rest of the cruise in the cabin. Yeah, I'm that mom. :rolleyes:

I have a sneaking suspicion these parents are using their own kids as a scapegoat because they genuinely believe theres a quick buck to be made. They themselves are the ones acting like children (spoiled rotten bratty ones). These type of people genuinely disgust me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I've been on two cruises where we did not go to a certain port due to weather. Yes, we were disappointed but the captain made the right decision and I respect him for that.

I can feel for their disappointment, but they have to realize that stuff happens and when they sign on for a cruise they have to accept it. I recall on one cruise a woman jumped overboard. The ship spent 8+ hours looking for her thus missing the first port of call. People were upset about it as the woman was never found. Humans screw up other humans plans all the time. What's there to compensate? Doesn't change what happened.

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. 28% of people who answered the survey on the Website posted by the OP said the Ship should not change its itinerary to rescue others. I can't even find the right words to express my dismay.

That speaks volumes about the selfishness of people. I am with you I don't have the words to express my feelings. All I can say people always get what is coming to them in the end, for some that will be real good, for others it will be horrible.

I was on a charter boat deep sea fishing for grouper off the coast of central Florida back in November. Our captain received a mayday over his vhf radio. You should have heard the radio traffic from all of the other boats scrambling to rescue those people. The last thing on my mind was catching fish or losing my $800.00 I paid the captain. All we did was say a silent prayer for their safety. People need to remember some day the shoe might be on the other foot.

BTW later that night when sitting at the tiki bar I saw SeaTow come by with the passengers wrapped up in blankets with their boat being towed behind them.

I am disgusted with these parents, not so much for complaining (which is understandable since they missed their intended port of call), but for the cowardly behavior of hiding behind their kids' back. Little Timmy and Sally may have complained about missing Cozumel, but it is the parents who decide to call the news media and take things public. Their actions suggest they are upset, but instead of saying "I am upset and I demand compensation", they make it sound like they are doing it for the kids. Wonder how the kids' feel being used as pawns to advance their parents' selfish agenda.

Guess I have different thoughts then you. I do not understand them being upset.

Upset because the cruise line changed course to save people? Not something I would get upset about. My cruise/excursion is nothing compared to saving someones life.

My understanding is that, no, they were not offered any compensation.

You are correct. A poor choice of words on my part. I should have said I understand them being disappointed.

As far as the compensation goes I know sometimes the cruiselines will give you some sort of onboard credit to make people more agreeable.

I know one time we left late out of Tampa because of fog and they gave us $15.00 each in onboard credit.

My own feeling is these people need to get their priorities straight.