Kids on Celebrity?

Our kids love Celebrity because there are less children, resulting in them having more opportunity to participate in the different activities ;). The teens club has such facilities as Xboxes and table tennis as well as counsellor led activities. Get your daughter to meet the other teens on the first night get-together.

Some of those complaining about children on X travel during high peak school breaks and then wonder why there are so many kids onboard :eek:? Similar to: I live next to a church; why are there so many cars parked outside my house on a Sunday :D! You will notice all manner of behaviour shown on any cruise by various age groups: from the pushing at the buffet from people who 'don't queue' to the obnoxious and rude requests from some passengers to crew members (and they cover a wide age group, certainly not only teens ;))!

Unsure where the previous poster obtained their information regarding the comment of targeting the 40-70 demographic :confused: (see earlier post) as we were told on our last cruise, by a senior officer, that they're actually targeting professional pax in their 40 & 50s (including those with teens) that possess up-to-date electronic devices, more disposable income and want 'Modern Luxury' - obviously explains the changes to the suite amenities, the AI approach, the Martini vibe, etc.

We select our cruises because of itinerary, hence our wide range of sailings (see signature below). Btw, our children have sailed on all of our cruises and have enjoyed every one; I'm sure your children will too :).

I've cruised with my kids many times on many different ships and they have loved everyone one. Even the ones without elaborate kid's programs. I think your girls will have a wonderful time!! It sounds like they will appreciate the higher level of service on board - what a treat for them!

well now you can see why this is the most contentious topic...

amazing how so many say they love celebrity because there are less children....while they bring theirs....

and we love celebrity for that very reason....very few kids of any age when we sail....

we took our 15 year old with us...he was bored out of his mind....

here is what his day looked like...

slept till noon, since the "gang" hung out till 3...in nooks and cranies on the ship...one night we went looking for him...

in san juan, he helped some "friends" get back to the ship because they got drunk....

sat up till half the night with a girl who was drunk and crying....

you said SLOOPs post was not factual....well do you want more facts...

had there been the sort of things royal carib offers, he would have been thrilled to take part in that....

dont bring teens or any kids on celebrity and especially not babies and tots....

on every celebrity questionaire, we always write, less kids of any age...even when there have been only 2....since we will only travel off peak kids time....

I encourage others who want an adult only experience to do the same...

celebrity has marketed its ships for an adult demographic....take note...and help it stay that way..

here come the flames....

I guess it depends on the kids. My kids love the dining experience and we always have late seating. They like to go to the shows etc.

I cannot imagine who would let their teenager on their own in a foreign port and rely on some stranger to help them back to the ship.

My kids are 27, 24 and 21 now and still we make everyone stay together in port.

The following is taken from an interview with Jo Rzymowska, UK head of Celebrity Cruises published in June 2014 on her first 6 months at Celebrity by TTG Digital.

..."The line also has a target audience in mind for its cruises - affluent couples and families, and the LGBT market, with Celebrity often being awarded in the US for its gay-friendly approach. “It’s about attitude rather than age,” Rzymowska explains.

“We have got plans to grow in the UK but it’s more about making sure we get the right guest onboard the right ship and that we work with our travel partners to achieve this.” ...

We are taking our 11 y/o son on Celebrity at the end of this year due to Celebrity having the itinerary we want and are not concerned about the opinions of others on-board.

If your daughters are bothered by any smoking one item I have read on these boards is that Celebrity allows outdoors smoking on the Port side and has a designated area to smoke mid-ship on deck 5. So if you book Celebrity you may want a cabin on the Starboard side.

...we took our 15 year old with us...

...here is what his day looked like...

...slept till noon, since the "gang" hung out till 3...in nooks and cranies on the ship...

...in san juan, he helped some "friends" get back to the ship because they got drunk....

...sat up till half the night with a girl who was drunk and crying....

I have the impression that the OP, FortheloveofDCL, will be monitoring her kids on the cruise and keeping them in a little better behavior than you did. No offense, but if your 15 year old kid hangs out till 3 AM and hung out with drunk friends on Celebrity there is no reason to believe it would be different on a different cruise line. I think these types of issues have a lot more to do with parental supervision than cruise ship amenities.

Edited by Lsimon

If celebrity didn't want kids they wouldn't let you bring them

Not necessarily, they simply market to an older crowd and most people get it. It's not that they "don't want them" it's simply that they aren't targeting that younger parent with kids. When our kids were young we took them on cruises on ships that were definitely "family" friendly - Disney, Carnival, etc. Now that our kids are grown and older we've moved to Princess, Celebrity, Regent, etc. and longer cruises and I'd just as soon not be around young kids. But I also don't need to cruise during school holidays either. Our next cruise is a 2 week Panama while school is in typically in session and I don't expect there to be many kids or teens. Older teens are almost adults and it's a different situation and I'm sure while they could potentially be bored on a Celebrity ship, they also probably won't be running up and down the halls and splashing people doing cannonballs into the pool or causing the pools to be shut down mid-day because of doo-doo in the pool.

I do think they market to young families...from their website.

Endless options for family cruise fun

Our award-winning cruise experience is designed for all ages and interests. Most programs are geared to specific age groups and supervised by experienced youth staff members.

• Toddler Time for kids under 3
  • Fun Factory for kids 3-11
  • X Club for teens
  • A variety of activities across the ship for all ages

You'll get all the details once you've boarded, but here's a peek at what's available.

I think these types of issues have a lot more to do with parental supervision than cruise ship amenities.[/quote

Quite so. Generally, the parents who opt for Celebrity over other more "child friendly" lines likely have children who are themselves well behaved and under control. We do not tolerate unruly behavior from our own children and likewise do not wish to be subjected to other poorly behaved kids. Nor do our own boys wish to be around kids who are rude and obnoxious any more than we do.

Not sure what an "affluent family" is, but I'm guessing we qualify, and therefore are exactly the demographic X is seeking to attract. Like their parents, our kids love to sit in the lounge before dinner and enjoy the live music. They also like the dining, shows and also love the fun factory with exceptional counselors, Xbox and activities held around the ship.

There will always be examples of bad behavior by those of all ages; intolerance towards others based on broad generalizations ranks up there as the most offensive.

It is indeed contentious...

Celebrity is a great cruise line, but their target market / demographic is those aged 40 to 70 (give or take) and evident by their "Modern Luxury" campaign and the many photos of couples enjoying their ships vs families (also shown statistically by the ratings of their Kids Programs... Which can be found here on CC)

!

I think you need to do some math. If the targeted demographic is 40-70, then parents of older children/teens/young adults falls right into that target. Most parents of teens are in their 40s and 50s. I am Celebrity's target, I'm 55, both my husband and I are working professionals and my youngest is 17, so he gets to cruise with us. I find it unrealistic to expect that a company that is the business to make money would even hint at excluding families by policy, as that would cut into their bottom line.

well now you can see why this is the most contentious topic...

amazing how so many say they love celebrity because there are less children....while they bring theirs....

and we love celebrity for that very reason....very few kids of any age when we sail....

we took our 15 year old with us...he was bored out of his mind....

here is what his day looked like...

slept till noon, since the "gang" hung out till 3...in nooks and cranies on the ship...one night we went looking for him...

in san juan, he helped some "friends" get back to the ship because they got drunk....

sat up till half the night with a girl who was drunk and crying....

you said SLOOPs post was not factual....well do you want more facts...

had there been the sort of things royal carib offers, he would have been thrilled to take part in that....

dont bring teens or any kids on celebrity and especially not babies and tots....

on every celebrity questionaire, we always write, less kids of any age...even when there have been only 2....since we will only travel off peak kids time....

I encourage others who want an adult only experience to do the same...

celebrity has marketed its ships for an adult demographic....take note...and help it stay that way..

here come the flames....

Yes ,I love cruise lines with less kids and I always bring mine ;). My older daughter cruised with us last time when she was 17 and I could never imagine in my worst night mare that I let her go alone till 3 am on ship or let her alone in San Juan . :eek::cool:

here come the flames....

If Celebrity did not want children on board, ... why would they have children's programs? By offering children's programs for babes to teens .... they are clearly being welcoming of children.

I too sit in the target demographic. I'm 45. My kids are 7 and 8. I'm in the same general age group as all of the parents of my children's friends. So, if Celebrity wants affluent 40-somethings ... most of us come with young kids in tow.

Just noting that there are two active threads with same title, topic and similar comments..perhaps Andy or another moderator might be able to combine that if it would be helpful.,

After many yrs of family vacationing, we no longer need to cruise during peak school vacation periods and carefully select our dates. We get to enjoy non- holiday rates for cruise fare, airfare and hotels as well as less crowded airports......and hope families enjoy their limited cruise vacation time together..on .whatever line they prefer!

Edited by hcat

LUXURY FAMILY HOLIDAYS

Celebrity cruises are perfect luxury family holidays and give you the opportunity to take some time out and relax. With so much for kids to do on board our award-winning cruises, everyone can have fun, no matter what your age.* Our Youth Programmes are designed to cater for children and teenagers, with childcare and activities dedicated for specific age groups, supervised by trained and experienced staff. Celebrity kids are happy, engaged, and entertained.

---www.celebritycruises.co.uk/life-on-board/family-friendly-cruising/---

Sounds like X do want families and their kids:)

Our 15 year old daughter loved cruising on X. She enjoyed the excursions on port days with us and on sea days had fun with her new friends in the XClub teens doing scavenger hunts, playing board games and X-box:eek:.

Some nights she enjoyed dressing up for the formal nights and having dinner and seeing a show with us as a family. Others she had fun Scratch DJ'ing:confused: or going to a retro party at the XClub while Lucy and I relaxed at the Ensemble lounge with a Brandy Alexanders and listened to acoustic guitar or soft jazz.:cool:

All in all the perfect chance for the perfect luxury family holiday for a couple of 40 somethings (I might admit to 50 under duress;)) and a teenage daughter.

To the OP your kids will have a fabulous holiday and so will you......

Edited by groryjm

Just noting that there are two active threads with same title, topic and similar comments..perhaps Andy or another moderator might be able to combine that if it would be helpful.,

Hi Hcat,

The 2 threads have been merged.

Wow! On the Royal Caribbean forum the most contentious kids topic is kids in the Diamond and Concierge Lounges during cocktail hour. Some of you over here on the Celebrity side don't even want them on the ship. Too funny...

...but not funny, a 15 year-old roaming the ship until 3:00am and spending time with drunk kids. It would've been my kid's last cruise.

Although Celebrity tends towards fewer kids I think it mostly depends on itinerary and the time of year. I have cruised out of holiday season on a large Carnival ship in the Med which had no more than 20 or 30 kids under 18. I have also heard of Celebrity cruises in the Caribbean with over 500 kids on board.

Whilst I find Celebrity to be a family-friendly line I'd hate to be on one of their cruises with a lot of kids. The ships just aren't equipped to keep that many kids amused without bothering the adults.

Going on the Eclipse in 18 days for our first ever cruise with my family. We have two girls aged 13 & 8.

Starting to worry now after reading some of these comments that we have picked the right cruise. This is just as much their holiday as it is ours.

They like to get dressed up and eat out and try different things, not just burgers and chips.

Just hope there is things for them to during the day.

Got me worried now.