How many photos have you come back with on your camera?

dvdkndy

My husband and I are like chalk and cheese. I went on Cunard at Xmas with my mum in 2012 for 18 days and took 80 pictures! Last August we went on a 10 day Med cruise and my husband shot at least 1200. I took a point and shoot and he took his Canon 6D with 3 lenses (half of his lens stock as the others were too big!).

We are getting ready to go to the Fjords for a week and he is taking 2 x 32gb cards, laptop and 1tb hard drive to download and free up the cards with. (8000 pictures approx, however he will be shooting in RAW so should get aprox. 1000 pictures each card.) I will be a photo widow for that week reading my kindle and being his assistant when we go off ship carrying stuff for him.

One cruise I came back with zero. New camera, pushed the wrong button, wiped out everything.

Next cruise, sister in law did the same thing with her new camera.

Apparently it's not a good thing to take new cameras that you aren't familiar with on a cruise if you want memories. :o

Some vacations I have done a few hundred a day and others maybe ten a day. Comes down to what you are taking pictures for. Some take a picture of everthing maybe worrying they will forget it and not thinking nobody but themselves will evey really care about most of them. I have to admit everyone once in a while I venture to some of the cruisers blogs or flickr account and get a laugh at that they post, at least the hard drive companies are happy

I came back from the Med with over 3500 through an 11 night cruise and 3 days in Rome, of which I processed a few hundred. Caribbean yielded a bit over 2500 for a 14 night cruise and a couple hundred got processed. I also shot about 6 hours of video with a GoPro.

On a 28 day cruise, I took about 600 pictures. I only kept about 400 of them.

28 day cruise!! Ohhhh thats a bucket list item! Where did you go? I think I would have to stock up on SD cards for a trip like that!! Easily prob 10000+ pictures for that!!:eek::rolleyes:

We have been on two Asian cruises - almost three weeks each and brought back about 800 hundred shots per trip. Going through lightroom/adobe bridge reduced it to about 200 shots and further culling brought it down to about 100. Time - quite a bit!

Moral, if any, is bring back film! At least with 36-shots per cartridge, there is a tendency to take less!

• 6 months later...
Just back off the Paradise for a 5 day to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Trying to upload all of my photos so I can do a really good review. 1,209 photos is what I have to go through. Is that excessive?

Just makes me curious how many photos have you come back with?

Uploading all the pictures to Photobucket now so we will see how long this takes!

Keep your eyes open when the review comes out! :D

I'd rather have a lot of pictures than be sorry I didn't take some.

To add to the data in the thread...I just arrived back from my most recent 7 day cruise this Sunday. I have 820 photos. We missed one port, and had we hit that port as scheduled, I likely would have returned with around 1100-1200 photos. I will likely whittle that down to around 300 for 'keepers' and family sharing, and around 150 to post on my online gallery.

In film days, 10 36-exposure rolls were enough for a picture-heavy two weeks in Italy or a 10-day safari in Kenya. And I shoot about the same number of pictures with digital now on a 15-day transatlantic cruise.

about 8000 pics, and that is just one camera, last time we took 7 cameras.

I'm with you. I took over 6,000 pictures on a 6 day trip to Utah . . . on our cruise I probably shot less than 2000, and felt like I had not taken enough. Of course, photography is the reason I go on vacations - that's my passion and what I enjoy doing. I may shoot a dozen of the same subject, but I'm bracketing and using different photo modes, etc. So there is a purpose to taking that many pictures. And I do use the pictures on my family travel website.

Now that I'm doing video I'll shoot fewer still photos but I'll still end up using more hard drive space. LOL As it is, I probably have 6 TB of photos stored on external drives with another 6 TB on backup drives. Just happy these external drives are so cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

I bring back....as many as I take.

Not a flip answer. I just never feel a need for a daily quota. I have taken as few as 25 on a single day while on a 14 day cruise with many sea days and as many as 1000 on a bear- or whale-watching day with a lot of burst sequences.

Having grown into photography using film, I still tend to take a studied approach to a scene. With the exception of peak action subjects like bears, whales or planes (Maho, eh?), I seldom use burst mode or take more than a couple or three variations of a single scene.

That's me. If you get what you need with 2 shots a day or 2000, there's no reason to fret about it or seek and answer to a question that can ultimately only be answered by you.

Don't worry...Shoot Happy! :)

Dave

Hi guys, whenever I'm on a cruise I take lots of pictures, maybe 800 or so. Just learned how to use the burst mode. Now, the next time I'm in Alaska, viewing glaciers, perhaps I'll use that mode.

Unless the glacier is calving, no need for burst mode. Now, when you spot some whales or anything else that's moving, that's a different matter. :)

I bring back....as many as I take.

Not a flip answer. I just never feel a need for a daily quota. I have taken as few as 25 on a single day while on a 14 day cruise with many sea days and as many as 1000 on a bear- or whale-watching day with a lot of burst sequences.

Don't worry...Shoot Happy! :)

Dave

Only reply that makes sense!

On the other hand, if you have to go through thousands of shots to examine whether to delete or not, or to lightroom/photoshop ... :-)