Free upgrade taken away 3 days before cruise begins

The majority of posters here were helpful (I used all your hints with regards to contacting Miami), but some few like this quoted poster write such utterly nonsense because they are too lazy or too incapable to read all the facts laid down in the thread. If he did, he knew the answer on his questions already. why RCCL Frankfurt and the TA can not be accessed during extended national holidays. And yes I got a reply by a Miami rep that it is 8130 which later proofed wrong as reported here.

If these smart "snoozecruiser" - trolls could just get a live and think before opening their mouth.....

I am about to leave Northern Alabama for the drive down to Nola.

Thanks to all the good people for their posts and hints.

Good luck- Have a great cruise whichever cabin you end up in:)

What I consider this is a breach of contract. Royal Caribbean gave you an upgrade(like a hotel). In all my years of travel I have gotten many an upgrade from a Hotel and never have they revoked my upgrade.

In fact last year my Father and I were in Vegas and the agent assigned us a room on a lower floor when we were supposed to get a room on a higher floor. So this other agent called her manager and we were upgraded to the 1 Bedroom Penthouse Suite.

My point is if Royal gave you the upgrade and you printed off your set sail pass you should be in this room unless there were other circumstances but Royal should have told you and put you in another cabin in the same category or better as the upgraded room.

I would email Adam Goldstein agoldstein@rccl.com with your confirmation# and screen shot of the reservation.

If IT downgraded you due to a computer error then they should be responsible to fix your reservation to reflect the upgrade. Your upgrade falls under confirmed upgrade as you have the documents reflecting the new cabin. If they downgraded you to your original cabin without even contacting you or even assisting you to keep the upgraded cabin then you have a case.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the OP was confirmed to a better cabin as opposed to an upgrade based upon availability at time of checkin like at hotels.

Again once an upgrade has been extended they cannot for the most part revoke it unless it was an upgrade based upon availability.

Sorry but I disagree I would be on the phone and/or write Royal Caribbean today as they do have methods to work with you to upgrade. I would arrive at the port around 10:45 or when the first checkin opens and show them your documents and ask for the Pier Director to assign you the upgraded cabin or better but that you will not accept the downgrade.

If Royal made a mistake and upgraded you then tough luck. Shoot its just like a hotel saying Mr. Jones we have upgraded you to the Penthouse Suite and then 20 minutes later after you unpacked they call you again and say W'ere very sorry but we assigned you the wrong room. In this case you have every right to stay and you are in no obligation to move because you were assigned the room and signed the documents etc.

I was once at a Resort and when we were in the room they said we were assigned the wrong room. So I spoke with the Manager and said you were the ones to assign us this room and we do not have time to repack and move. So they kept us in the upgraded room for the entire stay.

If you don't speak up in a firm but professional manner you would be downgraded to the downgraded room.

I have just completed a course in travel and tourism and what I have learned is that an operator cannot revoke an upgrade unless there was an extenuating circumstance due to maintenance. Once your room has been assigned/upgraded and you as the customer did your part of the contract the hotel is obligated to keep you in the upgraded room since they offered it to you at checkin and they cannot charge you more.

On one flight I was upgraded to First Class and the Gate Agent tried to downgrade me but I stood my ground and firmly but politely stated that I have settled in for the evening and do not have any energy to move to a downgraded cabin. I have boarded the flight and you have scanned my boarding pass so this means you accepted the contract. The agent just moved on and that was that.

The key difference is that OP is not onboard yet. If somebody tried to move me out of a cabin, that's a completely different issue from putting them back into the cabin several days prior to boarding.

OP, I would do as Merion Mom suggested and call C&A back. They CAN deal with you directly in spite of your having booked through a TA. The policy is in place to protect the TA's commission (which is why they won't process a price drop, for example), but since this is a revenue-neutral issue as far as the TA is concerned, they should help you out. Ask to speak with a supervisor or the Resolutions Department, which has power just short of almighty in these matters. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise no matter the outcome!

The online check-in for 40xx was done about 6 weeks ago. I printed the docs then and carry them with me.

I more and more tend to believe something went very very wrong with their IT -fuzzy handling. Why should the Miami rep yesterday lie at me? I truly do not believe that she lied, there is no reason to tell something wrong . She could not retrieve better than the 8130 as of yesterday and her conversation sounded professional.

Anybody with a Miami Diamond Plus tel no please?

800-526-9723 #9

C&A D+ desk

I have seen some where on the website that any upgrades may be withdrawn if they are able to sell the upgraded cabin to some one else. I am not sure exactly where I saw it, hopefully some one will be able to help out with a link or a copy of the upgrade terms and conditions :confused:

The key difference is that OP is not onboard yet. If somebody tried to move me out of a cabin, that's a completely different issue from putting them back into the cabin several days prior to boarding.

OP, I would do as Merion Mom suggested and call C&A back. They CAN deal with you directly in spite of your having booked through a TA. The policy is in place to protect the TA's commission (which is why they won't process a price drop, for example), but since this is a revenue-neutral issue as far as the TA is concerned, they should help you out. Ask to speak with a supervisor or the Resolutions Department, which has power just short of almighty in these matters. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise no matter the outcome!

Even if the OP didn't arrive to the port they should still be able to get their upgrade. If the Travel Agent is out on an extended leave of absence isn't there an Emergency Contact # at the Travel Agency or at least another "back up" agent that can deal with this? This would be my first question before dealing with any travel agent is if they have a backup person should your primary agent be out of town or its closed due to a National Holiday.

Also at Royal Caribbean there should be a clause that should a travel agency be closed or a travel agent is not available that Royal Caribbean has authority to modify/change the reservation to ensure the customer has what he/she needs. I think there should be an option for the travel agent to update their schedule to Royal Caribbean so if they are out of town or there is no other agent available Royal Caribbean has full authority to do whatever it needs to do.

It would be totally unfair to a client for them to lose out on an upgrade or price drop because the travel agent is lazy or the office is closed with no other way to contact them.

I have seen some where on the website that any upgrades may be withdrawn if they are able to sell the upgraded cabin to some one else. I am not sure exactly where I saw it, hopefully some one will be able to help out with a link or a copy of the upgrade terms and conditions :confused:

Someone already posted the fine print from the website earlier in the thread. You are correct that is does say basically that. The fine print is in post #25

What I consider this is a breach of contract. Royal Caribbean gave you an upgrade(like a hotel). In all my years of travel I have gotten many an upgrade from a Hotel and never have they revoked my upgrade.

In fact last year my Father and I were in Vegas and the agent assigned us a room on a lower floor when we were supposed to get a room on a higher floor. So this other agent called her manager and we were upgraded to the 1 Bedroom Penthouse Suite.

My point is if Royal gave you the upgrade and you printed off your set sail pass you should be in this room unless there were other circumstances but Royal should have told you and put you in another cabin in the same category or better as the upgraded room.

I would email Adam Goldstein agoldstein@rccl.com with your confirmation# and screen shot of the reservation.

If IT downgraded you due to a computer error then they should be responsible to fix your reservation to reflect the upgrade. Your upgrade falls under confirmed upgrade as you have the documents reflecting the new cabin. If they downgraded you to your original cabin without even contacting you or even assisting you to keep the upgraded cabin then you have a case.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the OP was confirmed to a better cabin as opposed to an upgrade based upon availability at time of checkin like at hotels.

Again once an upgrade has been extended they cannot for the most part revoke it unless it was an upgrade based upon availability.

Based on what was said they didn't print of the docs stating the cabin upgrade. They printed docs off for the original cabin and only have a screen shot of the upgrade. The Rccl fine print says they can remove the upgrade. The strange part to me is the room isn't even booked. That leads me to believe it was a computer error vs. a upgrade. A screen shot doesn't do much for you either to help the case unfortunately.

Even if the OP didn't arrive to the port they should still be able to get their upgrade. If the Travel Agent is out on an extended leave of absence isn't there an Emergency Contact # at the Travel Agency or at least another "back up" agent that can deal with this? This would be my first question before dealing with any travel agent is if they have a backup person should your primary agent be out of town or its closed due to a National Holiday.

Also at Royal Caribbean there should be a clause that should a travel agency be closed or a travel agent is not available that Royal Caribbean has authority to modify/change the reservation to ensure the customer has what he/she needs. I think there should be an option for the travel agent to update their schedule to Royal Caribbean so if they are out of town or there is no other agent available Royal Caribbean has full authority to do whatever it needs to do.

It would be totally unfair to a client for them to lose out on an upgrade or price drop because the travel agent is lazy or the office is closed with no other way to contact them.

Just Shows how little you know. OP is booked with a german TA via the german Office of RCI in Frankfurt. You can search high and low and you won´t find a TA or cruiseline in Germany available 24/7. Germany is not a 24/7 Country and there are federal laws in place which do not allow any Business to open on Sundays and Holidays. This has nothing to do with a TA being lazy.

As the matter of taking screenshots Comes up on the boards quite a bit and as it was a Topic of this post as well I´d like to Point out that a Screenshot in These days is really not worth a lot. It´s a matter of a few mouseclicks to provide you with a screenshot showing me booked / upgraded to the Royal Suite.

Note: I´m not suggesting this is what the OP did !!!! This comment is totally unrelated to the OP, but just to Point out how a screenshot unfortunately doesn´t give much evidence even if accurate.

I believe I read on this thread somewhere that a RCCL agent on the phone did say you had the balcony cabin as a upgrade..................if that is the case it should have be written down on your reservation.

Because what they are suppose to do is whenever someone calls about your reservation it is recorded on your resrevation what was asked or what they told you.

I would tell the Diamond Crown and Anchor desk to check on everything that was written about your reservation.

I have called before about my reservation and they know the exact day and time I called and what we talked about. It's all written down EVERYTIME.

Good Luck

Jimbo:)

Despite everything being said here, I think you deserve and explanation from RCCL. I would fight to the end especially if I had it in black and white - what will it hurt??

Please let us know what happened, if you got it or not! Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!

The short answer is "YES THEY CAN".......:o

Now your getting silly here and grasping at straws, really?...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The majority of posters here were helpful (I used all your hints with regards to contacting Miami), but some few like this quoted poster write such utterly nonsense because they are too lazy or too incapable to read all the facts laid down in the thread. If he did, he knew the answer on his questions already. why RCCL Frankfurt and the TA can not be accessed during extended national holidays. And yes I got a reply by a Miami rep that it is 8130 which later proofed wrong as reported here.

If these smart "snoozecruiser" - trolls could just get a live and think before opening their mouth.....

I am about to leave Northern Alabama for the drive down to Nola.

Thanks to all the good people for their posts and hints.

I'm sure that no matter where your stateroom ends up on the ship that your cruise will be wonderful, enjoy....K.O.:)

The definition of insanity is: doing the same thing over and over again (in this case calling the cruise line) and expecting a different result. In this case nothing but confusion.

Everyone seems to be encouraging the OP to keep calling until he/she gets the answer they want. To quote a famous lady "what difference does it make"., It will be what it will be. They will know the outcome in a few hours.

My after action report from onboard:

at check-in I asked for cabin 8130 vs 40xx. Theaysaid it was sold the day before the cruise started April 19th, but I saw it available all the time until boarding. The guest relation guys on board though were very friendly and tried to accomodate- put me on a wait list. After set sail , April 19th, I got an offer to upgrade from 40xx to said 8130 balcony(guess what- it was not sold!) for paying 150$. I gladly accepted the offer and moved into the new "old" 8130 cabin. guess what: in the cabin I found my cruisecritic meet&mingle letter, my D+ bonus gifts, and all the personalized C&A letters etc. I did not find them when occupying 40xx earlier the day. It is very very clear that the 81 cabin was always "reseved" by somebody for me, nobody has a clue why, what . how etc. It stays a mystery , but I am very grateful to guest relation dept onboard who are just great people and do a phantastic job. All in all, a great mystery and we will never get the right answer, but hey- it is vacation time now and we enjoy.

P.S Still people smoking on the balcony somewhere, hiding in the depth of the balcony , invisible for identification.

at check-in I asked for cabin 8130 vs 40xx. Theaysaid it was sold the day before the cruise started April 19th, but I saw it available all the time until boarding. The guest relation guys on board though were very friendly and tried to accomodate- put me on a wait list. After set sail , April 19th, I got an offer to upgrade from 40xx to said 8130 balcony(guess what- it was not sold!) for paying 150$. I gladly accepted the offer and moved into the new "old" 8130 cabin. guess what: in the cabin I found my cruisecritic meet&mingle letter, my D+ bonus gifts, and all the personalized C&A letters etc. I did not find them when occupying 40xx earlier the day. It is very very clear that the 81 cabin was always "reseved" by somebody for me, nobody has a clue why, what . how etc. It stays a mystery , but I am very grateful to guest relation dept onboard who are just great people and do a phantastic job. All in all, a great mystery and we will never get the right answer, but hey- it is vacation time now and we enjoy.

P.S Still people smoking on the balcony somewhere, hiding in the depth of the balcony , invisible for identification.

Glad it worked out Chris! Seems like another case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.:rolleyes:

I think my brain is going to explode. That's just... how does that even happen?

There are glitches in their system and not all the documents update when you are given an upgrade. I have gotten 2 upgrades in 2013 and both times I needed to call to have the documents updated correctly and have the old room number removed and the new room number updated. It showed on the reservation number but not in the documents..... I bet there was a mistake done after you earned the upgrade and the documents were reversed instead of corrected. (I am also diamond plus.... ) At 2-3 week mark they start the upgrades so it makes sense that you got an upgrade for your status.

I mentioned this before!! You belonged in that room.... The update did not take place properly. Happened twice to me last year.... Not all the documents updated and the boarding info showed the old room. I had to call and ask the first time what was going on. the second time it happened I just asked them to update my documents. Both times it took about 18 hours to work in the system... You just did not know how to do it, or your travel agent did not know the right approach to get everything updated and not changed. I bet the agent missed the upgrade email and from there the upgrade got messed up since the documents don't always process properly. I got the emails so I knew to call and get the documents updated correctly to reflect the correct new room.

Edited by dasi11

I am glad that you got the cabin that the upgrade referred to.....but it doesn't seem right that you had to pay $150 for something that you were upgraded to for 'free' from the past information you shared.

You previously said that you had a screen shot of the information under your My Cruises, and no where did it say, there was an 'upcharge' for this 'upgrade'.

They clearly had planned for you to use 8130, since they had all the information in the cabin that was personalized for you and your party.