Moderno or Cagney's?

glm7777

Celebrating my daughter's 24th birthday on the Dawn. We are allowing ourselves one specialty restaurant to celebrate. Would you recommend Cagney's or Moderno? We are definitely meat eaters and like to try an array of different foods so we are leaning more toward Moderno but would love to hear both sides.

I'm basing my answer on our Dawn experience last summer and the summer before. Ate at Cagney's, Moderno, and Bistro. If you're big into meat, you can't beat Moderno. The salad bar has some varied and interesting choices. The thing I miss at Moderno is the ability to have a chocolate dessert. They serve 3 mini desserts - a flan and I don't remember the other ones.

There was a lot of discussion on the boards last year that Cagney's had changed their menu and personally I miss some of the things that were on the menu before like lobster bisque. If you choose Cagney's I'd suggest early in the week rather than later. We ate there on two different cruises the night before the cruise ended and I thought the desserts were dry and not very appetizing.

Cagney's is quiet, hushed almost if there is no one playing music in the Star Bar. Moderno's overlooks the atrium and you can hear the music coming up from below and watch the camera set ups and families having their picture taken. We ate there last year the night we sailed out of Bermuda and there was a nice view out of the windows.

Happy Birthday to your daughter and Bon Apatite whatever you choose. Best dessert on Dawn is the made as you watch crepes at the buffet. Can you tell I'm into dessert?

Well Cagney's is more a "formal" type of restaurant, nicer...more "elegant". If you have a big appetite and order a second entree, you will be charged an extra.

Moderno is a little less cozy buy is prone to a more festive type of dinner. There is a buffet of olives, salads, cured meats, cheese and some other things....but don't fall in that trap ;) save all the stomach space for the EXCELLENT meats served. All meats are very well seasoned and truly delicious.

Both my girlfriend and I prefer the Moderno...and the "endless" meat is a bonus !!

My opinion...go for Moderno !!

Have fun !

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

For a formal atmosphere then I would chose Cagney's. But for the meat lovers it' sdefinitely Moderno!

We found Cagney's to be a bit stiff and the servers not as personable. Moderno's was more lively and friendly.

Both served excellent food.

Edited by kcwingwalker

Celebrating my daughter's 24th birthday on the Dawn. We are allowing ourselves one specialty restaurant to celebrate. Would you recommend Cagney's or Moderno? We are definitely meat eaters and like to try an array of different foods so we are leaning more toward Moderno but would love to hear both sides.

Our experience on several cruises: Modenos would be my first choice for meat and the awesome salad bar. We also love Le Bistro more than Cagney's but this is just a personal opinion. They are all good.

Our experience on several cruises: Modenos would be my first choice for meat and the awesome salad bar. We also love Le Bistro more than Cagney's but this is just a personal opinion. They are all good.

This. We much prefer Le Bistro over Cagneys. But if you want endless succulent meats....Moderno is the answer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I vote Cagneys. I prefer a filet just for me prepared the way I ask for it. While Moderno is good I think Cagneys is better. Moderno is more meat sampling. Half the stuff I was not crazy about and then you have to wait for your favorite to come back around again. They throw those 3 sides in front of you and you can get full very quick. So while Moderno is less money, I still think Cagneys is better for the money. You get exactly what you want in a full filet instead of a few bites here and there. You don't have to keep asking for more of what you want or sit empty waiting for the next round of filet. The modern filet is good but not into waiting long periods of time for my next bite ;)

Edited by david_sobe

This. We much prefer Le Bistro over Cagneys. But if you want endless succulent meats....Moderno is the answer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

We usually do as well: or at least I do, but my meat (steak) in Le Bistro last time had no flavor. Otherwise everything was fine. We also thought our waiter was going through the motions rather than really caring about us, but that was ok. These things happen. We will be going to all three on our Dawn cruise.

David, you are right about just samples, but if you play it right you can get as much as you want of your favorites. The secret, politely turn down the meats you do not like, try to stay clear of those side dishes, take it easy on the salad bar and you can ask for more of the meats you enjoy.

Edited by newmexicoNita

If you are going for a fancier type celebratory dinner i would go with carneys

the whole feel seems a bit more classier

However, Moderno is by no means a second choice

the food is great and the whole experience was wonderful

but i think carney's gives off a fancier vibe

We're Moderno fans. Salad bar is awesome. All the meats are great. The desserts are actually my favorite. I love Cagneys, but I can get a good steak throughout the year. It's rare that I would go to a Brazilian restaurant. That makes it special for us and always memorable.

My husband and I loved the salad bar at Moderno.....other then that it was not a big hit for us. I would choose Cagneys Hands Down!

Us too. We loved the salad bar but the meats tended to be on the dry side. And we did not care for the sides or the desserts.

While Moderno's had lamb, and the gaucho brought me several pieces when he found out it was my favorite, it was not as good as the lamb I had in the other restaurant...

For a special meal I woud pick Cagney's.

If you have never been to a Brazilian steakhouse before, then Moderno might be a nice new treat for your group. It is different and fun.

As others have said I prefer Le Bistro to Cagney's as well.

If you have never been to a Brazilian steakhouse before, then Moderno might be a nice new treat for your group. It is different and fun.

I agree. For celebrating a 24th birthday, Moderno is the way to go.

The salad bar there is different too. It is the best on the ship in my opinion.

Don't bring up the movie "Bridemaids" while you are eating though, it may have a plecebo effect afterwards.

I agree. For celebrating a 24th birthday, Moderno is the way to go.

The salad bar there is different too. It is the best on the ship in my opinion.

Don't bring up the movie "Bridemaids" while you are eating though, it may have a plecebo effect afterwards.

Plus the cost compared to the cost of a good Brazilian Steak house on land is a steal, where on land you can get a fairly decent steak a lot of places for $30.00. That is one way we decide on which specialty restaurants we choose.

Moderno is more meat sampling. Half the stuff I was not crazy about and then you have to wait for your favorite to come back around again. They throw those 3 sides in front of you and you can get full very quick. You don't have to keep asking for more of what you want or sit empty waiting for the next round of filet. The modern filet is good but not into waiting long periods of time for my next bite ;)

David, you are right about just samples, but if you play it right you can get as much as you want of your favorites. The secret, politely turn down the meats you do not like, try to stay clear of those side dishes, take it easy on the salad bar and you can ask for more of the meats you enjoy.

I have never sailed NCL before. I looked up the different specialty restaurants and saw the menus but I don't think I understand how Moderno works. Can someone explain the comments above? Does something rotate?

I have never sailed NCL before. I looked up the different specialty restaurants and saw the menus but I don't think I understand how Moderno works. Can someone explain the comments above? Does something rotate?

Maderno like other Brazilian steakhousees, will have a very very nice salad bar. Waiters also known as gauchos will come around to your table with skewers of hot meet and carve off onto your plate. You may pick and choose to which types you would like to try.

In addition you will be served side dishes. You also have a little disc one side is green one side is red if it's up facing green it means bring it on if it's red means stop by maybe stop for now.

The desserts in Moderno are also some of the best. So, in my opinion it is not to be missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love reading all the different views here.

Having eaten in a land-based Brazilian Steakhouse, and not caring for it very much, I still think we will give Moderno's a try on Breakaway this summer, if we can dine outside even better!

For sure will be going to Cagney's, too. Been reading so much about both the past 7 months, the wait is getting harder and harder!

Thanks to all who have posted their experiences :)

Getting hungry now ;)

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

My husband and I loved the salad bar at Moderno.....other then that it was not a big hit for us. I would choose Cagneys Hands Down!

Us too. We loved the salad bar but the meats tended to be on the dry side. And we did not care for the sides or the desserts.

While Moderno's had lamb, and the gaucho brought me several pieces when he found out it was my favorite, it was not as good as the lamb I had in the other restaurant...

For a special meal I woud pick Cagney's.

Yep - pretty much our experience as well!

Not sure if it was just that night but we were disappointed in the pace of the meal - in that the meats were delivered one at a time. We felt like there was quite a wait for the next one to be delivered and no one ever came around to offer us more of ones that we particularly enjoyed.:(

LOVED the salad bar...and don't really have anything bad to say about the quality of meal. It was tasty - with lots of choices - but I think we are just not fans of the presentation/delivery. :cool:

We too would definitely pick Cagney's - especially for a Birthday celebration.

Having just eaten in both Cagney's and Moderno on the Dawn, I'd say Moderno, for sure. We were not impressed with Cagney's at all. I wasn't impressed with it last time I ate there, either, so I hadn't been in a few cruises. We likely won't be back.

That said, the filet I had was delicious, but that was it. The rest was just ok, at best.

Moderno on the the Dawn was, in our opinion, even better than on the Epic. The meat was perfectly prepared. The service was top notch. The salad bar was very good, with the Seafood Chowder on the salad bar being perhaps the best single item I ate all week.

As for Le Bistro, it's normally my favorite specialty restaurant. It was very good, but Moderno was better for us on the Dawn. If it's just beef you're looking for, the filet in Cagney's was better than the tenderloin in Le Bistro, although it was still very good in Le Bistro.

Cagneys