New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

Let's not forget that HAL is well aware that the name of the ship must appeal to the cruising public. It must be marketable.

I have read somewhere that HAL has an option for a second Pinnacle Class ship. Maybe these ships could become known as "The Big Cheese" ships by naming one Edam and the other Goudadam.:D

EDAM, GOUDADAM and the other two sister will be the BRIE and CAMEMBERT!

All of the old names... except EURODAM... have not followed market trends. Ships are given best names when it is 'right' and damn silly to use names just what market people think.

Worse when we hear people call their ship called "THE HAL". Just as bad as 'THE CARNIVAL"! Holland America Line has a tradition with names. We should just stay with it. Some people thought ZUIDERDAM was a difficult name. It is a great name.... just like the other old names.

No matter how you spell it Stephen. Sounds too much like a cheese to me which it really is.:)

EDAM was four ships in the fleet. Obviously a popular name. EDAM IV was once with two funnels and then just one funnel. She could carry 14 passenger in First Class, 174 Second Class and 802 in Third Class.....

shucks... just like a S Class... 14 in suites, 174 in verandahs and 802 ... well, wondows and no windows!

Sister ships for EDAM in the 1920s were MAASDAM, LEERDAM and SPAARNDAM. Perfect for another Pinnacle Class ships!

OK... if you like too much cheese..... would be perfect for the new Dive In burger bar! Perhaps the ship would nickname the BIG MAC! :eek:

Edam(1)1881.jpg.b29454d0d09b0228069cdf6efe22a9ed.jpg

Edam(2)1883.jpg.16e8ffb2e0965d23b0cf1033f4a3d0d4.jpg

Edam(3)1878.jpg.45d503a20080dd929987feaef73c5d40.jpg

Edam(4)1921.jpg.2826cf69978c7e87890ff581527382ba.jpg

Edam(4)1921-1b.jpg.2c5e7ce7495403d3b2e4a5aa313f4f23.jpg

Why do we have to make up a new name at all?

Why not just pick of the several names that have not yet used and pick one that gets the most popular. Like STELLENDAM.

Years ago the old Celbrity Cruises.... or Chandris has a series of beautiful names, BRITANIS, ELENIS, AMERIKANIS, AUSTRALIS. Now they use CELEBITY SOLSTICE, etc etc. Ships are best named when they are given a good name.... just something made up to make marketing people to do something with 'corporate'.

NEDERDAM sounds fine... but what happens then... AMERIDAM, CANADAM or BERMUDAM or JAMAICDAM, MEXIDAM?

or GREAT STATENDAM..... and then every ship gets renamed GREAT ROTTERDAM, GREAT PRINSENDAM or GREAT NIEUW AMSTERDAM? She what happens.... it gets a real mess in the end.

No more names I'd rather some of the DIJK (DYK) names.... like

KINDERDYK, DIEMERDYK, DINTELDYK, All beautiful HAL names.

Stephen

Very well said Mr. Card! I could have not said it better myself. I myself HIGHLY doubt the ship will be given the name GRAND/GROOT STATENDAM if anything this is just some sort of working name for it. If anything I would suggest a new "S" class and use the names that were intended for the current MAASDAM and RYNDAM.....STELLENDAM and SCHIEDAM. These could be followed up by perhaps STATENDAM if by that time she has departed the fleet or a SPAARNDAM. Time will tell I suppose.

Nathan

I'm a Librarian so when people speculate on hearsay and act like they know something to be true it is against my nature to add too the rumor mill. But based on my meta-data research of CC postings this is what I would piece together has group-think or at least group-rumor about the new ship.

1. It will have an additional deck and be taller than the current Signature Class vessels. This makes sense sense and is a smart assumption since it needs more cabins to put the additional 500+ pax,

2. It will have a new specialty restaurant whose cuisine style is yet to be determined.

3. It will be wider to take advantage of the post-panamax canal transit possibilities.

4. It will have a new modern 360 "Theatre in the Round" showroom.

-Paul

Holland America celebrated a construction milestone as the first steel was cut for the as-yet-unnamed Pinnacle Class ship that is due for delivery in February 2016. Stein Kruse, the company’s president and CEO, presided over the ceremony on Feb. 4 at the Fincantieri shipyard in Marghera, Italy, where the vessel is being built. Antonio Quintano, director of Fincantieri’s Marghera shipyard, co-hosted the event.

The 99,500-ton ship is the first Pinnacle Class vessel for Holland America Line and the largest ever built for the line. The steel cutting follows a period of design and development for the 2,648-passenger ship.

This is the 15th ship built for Holland America Line by Italian shipyard Fincantieri, which most recently constructed ms Nieuw Amsterdam that was delivered in July 2010.

With a new class of ships maybe HAL should thing of a new class of names: There are only so many useful dam names

I suggest the Zuiderzee:)

I can't wait to get on this new ship and hope it sails from somewhere convenient to NC

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

[quote name=Sam.Seattle;4

This is the 15th ship built for Holland America Line by Italian shipyard Fincantieri' date=' which most recently constructed ms Nieuw Amsterdam that was delivered in July 2010.[/quote]

Just 14 ships. The newbuild will be the No. 15.

Are you thinking PRINSENDAM? Built in Finland... Abo.

Stephen

Holland America celebrated a construction milestone as the first steel was cut for the as-yet-unnamed Pinnacle Class ship that is due for delivery in February 2016. Stein Kruse, the company’s president and CEO, presided over the ceremony on Feb. 4 at the Fincantieri shipyard in Marghera, Italy, where the vessel is being built. Antonio Quintano, director of Fincantieri’s Marghera shipyard, co-hosted the event.

The 99,500-ton ship is the first Pinnacle Class vessel for Holland America Line and the largest ever built for the line. The steel cutting follows a period of design and development for the 2,648-passenger ship.

This is the 15th ship built for Holland America Line by Italian shipyard Fincantieri, which most recently constructed ms Nieuw Amsterdam that was delivered in July 2010.

I wonder what the last minute change was...

The original "we're gonna build another ship" announcement and Fincantieri's website say 99,000 tons and 2,660 passengers.

Now they've added 500 tons but removed 6 staterooms... Hmm...

Still no info, not even a name. By now the hull should be coming along nicely, why no info? If this ship is delayed a second time I am guessing she will sail her first season in Europe. I would like to sail her first sailing as I have yet to sail a HAL ship on her maiden voyage. First sailings are no longer a grand affair but they still are special to me. I remember very clearly the Homeric's maiden voyage to Bermuda, the Soverign of the Seas maiden Voyage and the Sun Princess...just lovely. The Seaward, Dreamward and Solstice were ho hum. Costa Classica's first voyage was special to me (disregarding the Euroluxe theme, but her sister Romantica was nothing special.

I guess with the number of inaugurals they all can't be special...but a HAL inaugural is still on my to do list.

Lets hope details will be coming shortly.

I guess with the number of inaugurals they all can't be special...but a HAL inaugural is still on my to do list.

Lets hope details will be coming shortly.

Made maiden voyages in STATENDAM, MAASDAM, RYNDAM, VEENDAM and PRINSENDAM. I thought they were all rather special. Sure, some things can go 'wrong'... but.... I would not sweat it.

Don't forget.... the Inaugural Plate. Only time you get to one!

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, HAL announced that they will transfer Rijndam and Statendam to P&O cruises. That makes rumours about the name Statendam for the new Pinnacle class very likely. It also explains why staff had heard about the "New Statendam". Not to be taken literally, but they were talking about the new "Statendam"...

Edited by 3ssn

This is news. My guess was that the S class ships would be transferred to Costa for their Neo collection, never considered P&O. If P&O completely redesigns them they could be stunning. Makes me wonder when Veendam and Masdam will be disgarded. Will one of them take over the Tampa slot?

Well thank you for this information...I hope this new ship will have her inaugural here in Florida but my guess is a maiden season in Europe.

Now to look over the web for more info.

I understand the two ships are headed to Australia. My comment about Tampa is that HAL runs a ship out of Tampa in the winter; Veendam, Masdam and Ryndam have been used. With only 2 remaining S class ships I am wondering if one of them will be used for the Tampa run. I cant see HAL giving up that port slot and in so doing increase business for NCL, RCI and CCL (all using the port of Tampa. Now if Veendam and Masdam are sold or sent to another line then I guess Tampa is dead for HAL. My guess though is Veendam will be chosen.

In the meantime I am curious to see what this new build will be like assuming she will be named Nieu Statendam (ala Nieu Amsterdam).

Now show me plans:D:D:D

... assuming she will be named Nieu Statendam (ala Nieu Amsterdam).
It will not be. The Nieuw Amsterdam is not named after the ms Amsterdam nor the city of Amsterdam, but rather the city of Nieuw Amsterdam - now known as New York City. That's why the decor in the ship has a NYC theme. If the new ship is named Statendam it will have the Roman numeral VI, but not be Nieuw. Edited by jtl513

I never realized the New York relationship with the Nieu Amsterdam.....I learn something new everyday....thank you. Never could figure out why there were two Amsterdam named ships......duh.

So I guess Statendam will be the logical choice for the new ship.

FlagFan.....warm up that ball of yours and tell me when to get a power ball ticket......daddy needs a few more cruises....expensive ones:rolleyes:

How can anyone doubt now that Pinnacle Class #1 will be Statendam and Pinnacle Class #2, if ordered and built, will be Ryndam.
There is an employee naming contest for #1 --- but maybe somebody submitted the name Statendam. Edited by jtl513