New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

Just learned this newbuild's name and I do think I like it. Will the 2nd ship of the Class bear the Dutch word for Queen-dam, I wonder?

I am pleased the the images of the ship we have seen still allow one to recognize her as a HAL ship. No outside elevator, which I like very much. The Crow's Nest will be so high-up, one will be able to see "forever". (Think of the motion in stormy seas up there!)

The third of the ship reminds me of what Carnival did in altering Carnival Destiny into Carnival Sunshine. Decks of veranda cabins above the Bridge.

Looking forward to learning more details and itineraries I would like to sail on this new Dam ship!

While I think the changes on the Hal ship could be interesting I don't understand why every cruise line needs to have the same things. I'm also in my early fifties but I like the quiet natural of Hal. Having noise 24/7 doesn't do it for me. I get enough noise pollution at home.

As long as she retains the current HAL "feel" I will be happy. I've been happy on HAL ships since I was 29.

Yes, she is bigger than any previous HAL ship but in the grand scheme of today's cruise industry she is considered just midsize. Smaller ships require higher fares and higher on-board spending to be profitable. Same reason groceries cost so much less at Walmart or Target than a small neighborhood market.

When I walk off of the gangway onto the ship and know by what I see and feel that I am on a Holland America ship I will be a happy camper and feel like I'm back home.

The new name is OK and a nice tribute to the new King/Konig. Having said that, I am sure that going forward, on this Board anyway, it will be referred to as the K-Dam.

More important to me is the lack of the full Promenade deck. People who cruise on HAL are so used to having that and walking laps throughout the day. Or sitting in a deck chair, enjoying the view or reading a book.

I don't see the glass elevators mid ship...am I missing something, i.e., do they have a "new" look?

The new name is OK and a nice tribute to the new King/Konig. Having said that, I am sure that going forward, on this Board anyway, it will be referred to as the K-Dam.

More important to me is the lack of the full Promenade deck. People who cruise on HAL are so used to having that and walking laps throughout the day. Or sitting in a deck chair, enjoying the view or reading a book.

I don't see the glass elevators mid ship...am I missing something, i.e., do they have a "new" look?

Glass elevators take away lots of prime verandah cabin locations. Going, going, gone.

Just learned this newbuild's name and I do think I like it. Will the 2nd ship of the Class bear the Dutch word for Queen-dam, I wonder?

Highly unlikely since Koningindam is a bit too similar and will be more confusing than the Amsterdam/Nieuw Amsterdam names.

As long as she retains the current HAL "feel" I will be happy. I've been happy on HAL ships since I was 29.

Yes, she is bigger than any previous HAL ship but in the grand scheme of today's cruise industry she is considered just midsize. Smaller ships require higher fares and higher on-board spending to be profitable. Same reason groceries cost so much less at Walmart or Target than a small neighborhood market.

When I walk off of the gangway onto the ship and know by what I see and feel that I am on a Holland America ship I will be a happy camper and feel like I'm back home.

Hey, I've got you beat ;). I started at 23 but didn't take my second cruise until 38. I'm one of the freaks that likes the newer ships. I have zero desire to go on the old ones I did many of my cruises on the older ones so I do know what they are like. I'm quite excited to see the new ship and sail on her too. It's disappointing if it won't have a promenade as I like to walk outside even though I make good use of the gym.

Maybe I am stupid but why are people assuming that there is no Promenade Deck? I just do no see anything different when you compare pictures of the Eurodam which has a Promenade Deck and the Koningindam.

I loved the Glass Elevator and I will miss that but it will allow them to add Balcony Cabins which are quite popular and are not double the price of the Outside Cabins like they are on older HAL ships.

Whoever stated that older smaller ships are more expensive to operate is correct and thus a lot more expensive to sail on is correct. The newer ships also offer a lot more things to do on board. Rock Climbing walls are ok but when you start getting into Merry Go Rounds and Bumper Cars I think you have a floating Amusement Park.

I personally like BOTH using HAL and Princess for the big ship experiences and Oceania when I want to have the small ship experience. I have yet to try the Prinsendam and probably will at some point.

Edited by jhuntermartin

What is the Dutch word for Queen?

Koningin.

Maybe, but you, personally, now know what "koning" means in Dutch.

Koning = King

"Kingdam" makes as much sense as "Southdam" (Zuiderdam) . :)

Edited by Boytjie

Maybe I am stupid but why are people assuming that there is no Promenade Deck? I just do no see anything different when you compare pictures of the Eurodam which has a Promenade Deck and the Koningindam.

The promenade deck on HAL is BELOW the lifeboats and from the picture today it does not appear as though there is a wrap-around deck open to the ocean below the life boats.

Edited by Boytjie

The promenade deck on HAL is BELOW the lifeboats and from the picture today it does not appear as though there is a wrap-around deck open to the ocean below the life boats.

SOLAS requirements are soon changing with lifeboat placement, that will impact this new build.

I see balconies above the life boats: http://www.cruisereiziger.nl/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/koningsdam2.jpg