Oh happy day for anti_lounge chair hog

Beach1

Fortunately I was not on this cruise.

.....at least we now have some "enforcement" and persons to assist with this annoying and rude behavior. BUT, several years ago all you could do was say something to the offender, without having anyone to back you up. NOT ME! I took matters into my own hands, literally. We got up at 8 am after having breakfast in our room and found two empty chairs between "reserved ones", which sat empty until almost noon. Well.....halfway through the morning, I reached over and grabbed the persons paperback book that was saving the chair and RIPPED THE LAST 3 PAGES OUT OF THE BOOK. Of course, I first verified that it did not come from the ships library. After a few more hours the person came, sat down with her Mai Tai and opened her book. When she noticed the pages missing she screamed "WHO DID THIS!". I quietly said...."it could have been any number of people who needed a lounge chair that you thought belonged to you". End of story. But, the joke was on her......she ended up sitting with us at the mystery dinner....;-/

The exception to this is when the pool is so crowded that you are concerned that you might not find a chair when you get back.

Nope, I stand by what I said- 30 minutes is enough. Just because you think you might not find a chair when you get back isn't a valid reason to "save" a chair for who knows how long. That's kind of the whole problem with the chair saving issue to begin with.... people think they won't find a chair LATER so they go out to save one NOW. :rolleyes:

If you want to leave and think you won't find a chair later you have 2 choices: 1) Don't leave. Sit yourself down in the chair and enjoy it til you decide whatever else you have to do is more important, or 2) Leave, and understand that you might now have a chair when you return. You are not promised a chair when you book the cruise and sometimes you just might not get one, or at least not in the location you prefer. Deal with it.

Edited by waterbug123

Just curious, how do you know they were from New York or New Jersey? Oh in the interest of full disclosure I am from Maryland however one whole side of my family lives in New York. They are quite vocal ( okay loud, LOL!) but do not think they are better than any one else ( They are special though)

I grew up in NY and I can explain the attitude I think.

The Northeast is very crowded, so people learn and adapt and become very efficient at some things, like if you're on line to order something then when it's your turn you better know what you want. (Remember the soup **** from Seinfeld?) Or when you buy something then after you pay you slide your purse or other stuff down a foot or so the next person can go while you're packing up etc. Or if you're walking in a crowd of other walkers and you need to stop you step to the side rather than just stop in the middle of traffic.

When we run into people that don't get that it drives us crazy. Although now that I've been away from that area for 25 years it's slowly wearing off.

Personally I don't have a big problem with chair hogs as I don't lay out much, and if I do I have no problem going a bit further away and walking to pool as needed. That's a lot easier now without having to sign out towels, you can walk over without anything, jump in, then when done just grab a fresh towel from stand as you get out. Easy. On FOTS I like to lay out on deck 12 aft with a great view of the wake. I actually prefer to be away from the action as I like to read.

Also I have no problem moving a towel and using a "reserved" chair, worse case scenario they come back and you just give them the chair back. Usually they don't come back for the 30 minutes or so I use the chair.

And after reading this thread, although I'm not a chair hog, I've discovered another reason to like my kindle.

Edited by DrD

I'm just wondering what my strategy will be on trying to get an unoccupied chair on the Oasis on my upcoming cruise, as I would hope just asking staff to clear a few chairs would do the trick. Or maybe I'll be so busy trying to do "everything" that I won't have time to sit down:D

Personally, I hate anyone hogging any limited resource (buffet tables anyone?) or playing the put one person in each line game as it makes everyone get more concerned that they will have wait even longer and makes hogs out of even normally moral people (I applaud those who don't change what they would do one bit on board). Personally, I would have no issue with rearranging the deck chairs, but on the other hand, two rudes don't make a right.

But, not to defend the hogs, are their obvious signs anywhere stating that unattended chairs will be cleared after 30 minutes (that I can at least point to when someone gives me the stink eye)

But, not to defend the hogs, are their obvious signs anywhere stating that unattended chairs will be cleared after 30 minutes (that I can at least point to when someone gives me the stink eye)

I would have sworn that I took a picture of one in January on Freedom, but I can't find it.

To me, chairs around the pool deck are for people using the pool area. That means you can put your stuff on one if you're in the pool or watching your kids while they are. Or in the hot tub. etc.

If you're leaving the pool area, you're done with the pool area and should give the space up to someone else.

And you should only save as many seats as you will need at one time. My family of 3 went to the pool, DS was going to be in the water play area, I was going to to up to the upper deck for some sun, DH was going to hang out and watch DS. So...one lounge chair at the pool deck. I went up and found my own. DS wasn't going to be laying out, so that just left DH with a chair. When DH wanted some food, he waited until I came down, and then I sat there while he got food.

Of course, everyone has to be on the same page. It's like eating at counter service places at Disney. Some families take everyone in line and then find a table when they have the food. Others want to split up and have the kids sit at a table while an adult gets the food. If both things are happening in the same area, it's not good; you get people with food wandering around tables filled with people without food. So disney has started to disallow no-food people from sitting. You have to have people all doing the same thing, for it to run smoothly.

I commented above on this but I can tell you...if someone took my stuff over a chair...my book, and ripped pages out of MY property, they might lose some of their own property...namely their teeth! I do not tolerate chair hogs...they are selfish and all about themselves...but to take a book, rip out pages...classless to say the least.

Years ago it was a problem when table mates of ours were IN THE POOL and when they went back to their lounge chair, someone had moved their things and took their chair. They were told that the Captain told this individual that she could take their chair.

Just saying....sometimes it is hard to tell if the person is in the pool or elsewhere on the ship.

I am not defending chair hogs...no way... but sometimes 30 minutes can be cutting it a little short.

I am not defending chair hogs...no way... but sometimes 30 minutes can be cutting it a little short.

I certainly don't think so. I've gotten up to eat lunch, given up my chair and come back in less than 30 and found another. 30 minutes is arbitrarily generous.

Our last two cruises have been in a grand suite. They have a reserved area at the pool so I didn't have to fight for a chair later in the day. Our next cruise, we are in a balcony. It's going to be hard giving up the extra perks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So if you are in the pool for 30 min or more and your stuff is on your chair it should be moved? You have to get out of the water move your stuff to another chair and repeat as needed?? If you leave pool deck area that's one thing but in and out of the water you shouldn't be able to keep your spot? Really ???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So if you are in the pool for 30 min or more and your stuff is on your chair it should be moved? You have to get out of the water move your stuff to another chair and repeat as needed?? If you leave pool deck area that's one thing but in and out of the water you shouldn't be able to keep your spot? Really ???

Let's be real... 99% of chair hogs aren't in/out of the pool.

They think they need, need, need, need, need to save THEIR SPECIAL SEAT and go do whatever they are going to do. Go eat, go wherever, then come at some point convenient to them and sit in their special chair.

You can tell when someone is coming in and out of the pool. The towels are wet, there are flip flops (two per chair... not one randomly on this chair and one on another) there are books, there are shirts or wraps or shorts or whatever, it is a USED chair.

A perfectly clean and unused towel spread across a chair (usually many chairs in a row identically saved) for hours and hours at a time. Saving a place for someone.

Give up the ghost on the false indignation over a semi-plausible, not the most likely scenario. The most likely scenario isn't the innocent person innocently dipping in the pool to innocently cool off and some random bully comes up and swipes their chair to hurt their feelings.

I didn't condemn him just pointing out that his wrong wasn't right either. What if that was a borrowed book? He didn't even own up to it when the woman asked. Just seems like a nasty way to act.

I think destroying someone else's personal property is vandalism and wrong no natter how hard anyone tries to justify it. I don't agree with hogging chairs, but I don't think destroying someone else's belongings is a good response.

Tom

.....at least we now have some "enforcement" and persons to assist with this annoying and rude behavior. BUT, several years ago all you could do was say something to the offender, without having anyone to back you up. NOT ME! I took matters into my own hands, literally. We got up at 8 am after having breakfast in our room and found two empty chairs between "reserved ones", which sat empty until almost noon. Well.....halfway through the morning, I reached over and grabbed the persons paperback book that was saving the chair and RIPPED THE LAST 3 PAGES OUT OF THE BOOK. Of course, I first verified that it did not come from the ships library. After a few more hours the person came, sat down with her Mai Tai and opened her book. When she noticed the pages missing she screamed "WHO DID THIS!". I quietly said...."it could have been any number of people who needed a lounge chair that you thought belonged to you". End of story. But, the joke was on her......she ended up sitting with us at the mystery dinner....;-/

You are disgusting

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

And you should only save as many seats as you will need at one time. My family of 3 went to the pool, DS was going to be in the water play area, I was going to to up to the upper deck for some sun, DH was going to hang out and watch DS. So...one lounge chair at the pool deck. I went up and found my own. DS wasn't going to be laying out, so that just left DH with a chair. When

Thank you for that! If the kids are going to be in the pool the whole time, they don't each need a separate chair just to store their towel and tee shirt. :)

Don't be ridiculous. There's a big difference between someone using the pool and someone leaving the pool deck entirely to get lunch, play bingo, stop by the internet cafe etc. and then coming back 3 hours later.

Exactly.

They think they need, need, need, need, need to save THEIR SPECIAL SEAT and go do whatever they are going to do. Go eat, go wherever, then come at some point convenient to them and sit in their special chair.

You can tell when someone is coming in and out of the pool. The towels are wet, there are flip flops (two per chair... not one randomly on this chair and one on another) there are books, there are shirts or wraps or shorts or whatever, it is a USED chair. Right. You'll generally see almost ALL their stuff, not just an unused towel with one flip flop or one magazine and nothing else.

Even if someone leaves the pool deck for a few minutes to grab a forgotten item from the cabin or use the restroom, you can generally tell that for all intents and purposes, the chair is being used.

So if you are in the pool for 30 min or more and your stuff is on your chair it should be moved?

No, the pool isn't that big, you can see your chair(s) from the pool and I can't help but look over there every couple of minutes and verify things are ok.

You can tell when someone is coming in and out of the pool. The towels are wet, there are flip flops (two per chair... not one randomly on this chair and one on another) there are books, there are shirts or wraps or shorts or whatever, it is a USED chair.

A perfectly clean and unused towel spread across a chair (usually many chairs in a row identically saved) for hours and hours at a time. Saving a place for someone.

Give up the ghost on the false indignation over a semi-plausible, not the most likely scenario. The most likely scenario isn't the innocent person innocently dipping in the pool to innocently cool off and some random bully comes up and swipes their chair to hurt their feelings.

Well said! It takes a lot for me to acknowledge a Bengal fan :D I can say that threads like this here and one currently going on Facebook have caused the worst of the chairhogs to become crafty and try to twart the system. On our last Jewel cruise my wife sat by the pool about 4 hours (Its her thing, I can only do about an hour unless a beer bag and 5 beers are involved.) Anyway there were 5 seats nearby "reserved" all day. Once every 30 minutes this woman would come and sit in one of the 5 chairs for 30 seconds and then leave again. The pool guys eventually took her stuff and she came back and yelled at the new occupants who were clueless this happened.

Now on Allure back in 2011, I photographed the "Changing of the guard" shown below. This group reserved 7 chairs by what I consider the most popular pool in the RC fleet, the Beach pool. They kept one person "on guard" and sent relief about once an hour. The towels were in place at 7am and the full group didn't arrive until. Notice the unhappy look on the new guard seated while the guy he just relieved marchs happily back to his cabin.

hog1.jpg

putting a face on real chairhogs everywhere! (hey, its how I enjoy myself )

Edited by BillOh
grammar/typos

Here's my recent experience observing chair hogs. Last month on Serenade, I was sitting in the DL (overlooking the main pool deck) having my coffee, and I observed several people "claiming" their chairs and putting towels, magazines, etc. to hold them. It was 8 a.m., and all I could think was there go the chair hogs. Every one of them "reserved" their chairs and left. During the time I watched this, I didn't see anyone remove those items. All too often, the chair hogs win. Very unfair, annoying and rude.

To OP: Hello David and Helen! I hope you are both doing well!!

This group reserved 7 chairs by what I consider the most popular pool in the RC fleet, the Beach pool. They kept one person "on guard" and sent relief about once an hour. The towels were in place at 7am and the full group didn't arrive until.

One person in a chair doesn't give them a right to save 4 more chairs. If there were no other chairs in the area and I'd witnessed that, I'd have no qualms about sitting in one of the other 4 chairs.

Here's my recent experience observing chair hogs. Last month on Serenade, I was sitting in the DL (overlooking the main pool deck) having my coffee, and I observed several people "claiming" their chairs and putting towels, magazines, etc. to hold them. It was 8 a.m., and all I could think was there go the chair hogs. Every one of them "reserved" their chairs and left.

I've seen people do that early in the a.m. as well, and save 3-8 chairs in the process. When they do it that early, you can pretty much figure they aren't going to be there for 2 or 3 more hours, so I've been very tempted to just dump all their stuff in one chair after they leave. By the time they get back, how could they possibly have any legitimate complaint?! :D

Just off the Allure sailing from 4/20-4/27 and I can report that the pool staff was diligently removing towels/books/shoes/hats from chairs as well. On the second sea day, the 3 of us planned to meet up with my in-laws at the kids H20 Zone at 9:30 am. My in-laws got to the H20 Zone about 5 minutes early and texted me that they were already there and had gotten all of us chairs near the towel station. When we showed up at 9:30 am, my in-laws said that they just had been yelled at by some fellow cruiser who accused her of stealing her chair and tossing her book. No idea how long the stuff had been there before it was taken or when it was taken. But, since this happened pretty early in the morning (splash area doesn't get turned on until 9 am), I'd say that the pool staff was trying to address the issue before the area got crowded.

It happened a second time too. The 3 of us then went back and forth from our chairs to the pool, to our chairs, to the ice cream station, to our chairs, to the bathroom, to our chairs, etc. over the next 2 hours. Around 11:30 am, the pool staff took hats, towels, sunglasses, shoes, etc. that were laying on several chairs that were right next to ours and took it directly to the towel station. We had been back and forth so often, and I wasn't really paying attention to their stuff, that I wasn't able to pin point precisely when the "chair hogs" had put their stuff down. But, again, the pool staff had clearly been monitoring the area.

I will say, however, that I was somewhat relieved that it was lunchtime when this happened, because I was wondering if I was going to get yelled at by a fellow passenger as well. So, on that note, I think it would be a good idea for Royal to post something indicating that all items picked up from chairs can be retrieved at the towel station. Maybe they did do this. I do remember seeing signs stating that cruisers should not leave their chairs unattended for more than 30 minutes. But, I just can't recall whether the sign mentioned anything about unattended items being taken and where to retrieve them. Hopefully so.