Celebrity Cruises Unveils Modern Luxury Firsts Onboard Celebrity Equinox

Celebrity Cruises

I would hate that, I love the Hot Glass Show. And there are already ships with the Lawn Club. I stick to the 3 ships that have the Hot Glass Show. Why take away an option and replace it with something that already exists on other ships?

$$$

I would hate that, I love the Hot Glass Show. And there are already ships with the Lawn Club. I stick to the 3 ships that have the Hot Glass Show. Why take away an option and replace it with something that already exists on other ships?

$$$

I understand why Celebrity might do it. I don't understand why a fellow cruiser is in favor of limiting choices. :confused:

I'm not loving the name either - I already have a bunch of gas jokes at the ready. However, the Gastrobar name goes nicely with "Modern Luxury" theme. At any rate, I hope both new venues will prove to be very popular with Celebrity's guests.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking along this line. GASTRObar. :D :confused: :eek:

I agree with you on taps. The only taps I saw on Summit were in Sunset Bar and it was Amstel and another lager. Ships are the worst place to try to store true "craft" beers. Beers such as Hefeweizen or other "cloudy" beer would be too fragile with the ship's movement Other styles that might be interesting, wouldn't be consumed fast enough to keep them fresh. If they had the ones offered in Michael's I'd be pretty happy. Maybe they could mix them up a little depending on the itininerary.

I wouldn't count on too many craft beers. While they had a great selection in Michael's, I don't remember too many that were true craft beers. That said, it was still the best variety of beers I've ever seen on a ship. Now if I can just convince DW to sail Equinox again. :D

I agree 100% If Celebrity reads this, CMOG is a huge factor in our choice of cruising on X over other lines. (of course we love X for other reasons, but CMOG makes X stand out) We pick 1 of the 3 hot glass ships only :) That is how much we enjoy it! To us, that is our #1 form of entertainment on board.

Edited by CruisingGatorGirl

Well maybe Bud :eek: is considered a 'craft' beer across the pond :D

Ugh....No thanks.....they know better:eek:

Stella, Stella, Stella:D

A week ago all the worry around here was that this would be Ye Olde English Pub. So if Celebrity was reading all that, they might have felt compelled to adopt the trendy name Gastropub. Be careful what you wish for...

As to Craft Beer: this is a broad category. Cask-conditioned ales are part of it but by no means is the category limited to that one type. The industry recognizes as Craft Beer anything from contract-brewed (even Sam Adams started that way) to bourbon-cask aged. [from wikipedia: "The Brewers Association defines American craft brewers as "small, independent and traditional": small defined as an "annual production of 6 million barrels of beer or less", independent defined as at least 75% owned or controlled by a craft brewer, and traditional defined as at least 50% of its volume being all malt beer." Nothing about cask-conditioning and there's no category of "true" craft beers.] As long as it isn't made by BudMillOors it's good by me!

So for me the only question is whether Eclipse will get the Gastropub by next March.

I'd think it would be strange is Celebrity was looking for an English pub theme as pubs are very much in decline and closing down all over the UK. Many are being replaced by Gastropubs - really nice restaurants often serving a good selection of wine as well as a few beers!

It is a good thing to put something more popular into Cellar Masters as it wasn't working and empty most nights on many sailings. Only time will tell if the new concept (whatever it is) works.

I LOVE that Celebrity is trying this new concept and this middle-American will just have to get used to the name. :)

(TonyUK - your description of what Gastropubs are in the UK makes it sound really inviting)

Edited by chamima

Hello there,

As of now, we're planning on the Gastrobar being open from 11:30am - Midnight. Please note that this may change. Thanks!

That would be especially fantastic as an additional food and beverage option on embarkation day! I may not want to go to my cabin! LOL!

I really think this is a wonderful idea!

My initial reaction to this news is one of disappointment. Our two most frequented evening venues are Cellar Masters (every night) and Michael's Club (most nights). Michael's has already been removed as a venue on future cruises as we do not cruise in suites, and now Cellar Masters is turning into a pub. I do hope the decor retains a level of sophistication however I think this may be optimistic.

Another observation is the relatively early proposed closing time of midnight. We are often in Cellar Masters with friends well after midnight - as late as 1.30am.

I will however keep an open mind and look forward to the reviews and pictures of the Gastrobar from Equinox. Slush sounds like a nice addition to the pool deck.

Edited by Ando

here is a link to the top 20

voted for Gastro Pubs in the UK.

Many are owned by Celebrity Chefs and have Michelin Stars.

I am looking forward to this venue as I am sure

there will be nice wines to go with the food,it

will also be a good alternative to Bistro on 5.

Be interesting to see what the cover charge will be,

my guess is $5 per person same as Bistro and the Lawn Club.

http://www.lovefood.com/journal/opinions/14459/top-uk-gastropubs-named

Thanks very much for sharing this information here with us, and for providing the follow-up details as well. The new spaces sound very interesting and the drinks sound great. I really do appreciate your efforts to keep us up-to-date with correct information.

Will this be fleet wide? Eclipse in June?

carole

I'm happy to see Celebrity try something new (for them). While many here aren't familiar with gastropubs, they are indeed very popular in many large cities (including here in Chicago).

Any option for decent beers (especially if it's open during the day) is fantastic. Only wish I was going on Equinox again soon (had booked a June cruise but switched to Azamara instead ).

I hope some will post menus, photos and reviews!!!

Edited by librarylady19