Turn your balcony light off!

KeithJenner

One thing I really like about cruising is being able to sit on my balcony at night reading.

On the Spirit last week, I was sitting there looking at the stars and just thinking how much better it would be if the people in the balcony next to mine didn't have their balcony light on permanently (I was never aware of them being out there, so I think it was probably just left on and maybe they didn't know).

Anyway, just at that point, the power went out all through the ship for about 30 seconds. The view of the sky was incredible.

It's a shame they can't do this deliberately, as it is rare you get the chance to see the sky in such perfect darkness.

On the Breakaway our neighbors left their light on all night. The switches were confusing. I just asked my steward to show them. They truly did not know. Problem solved.

Now if I could just get my land neighbors to cooperate. Our neighborhood can be seen from Mars. Totally cannot see stars, comets, etc. And it really makes it bad trying to enjoy fireworks on July 4...

When we sailed to South America on the Sun, the cruise director was really into star gazing. He would give a lecture in the afternoon about what stars were visible at night in the southern hemisphere and then the group would meet him on the top deck at night. They would turn out all the lights up there and he had some kind of laser pointer to show us the constellations (including the southern cross). It helped make an already memorable cruise that much more special and through word of mouth he ended up having to repeat the demonstration several times on the two week cruise. Really awesome!

But in any case, if our balcony is too bright we try to find a darker spot to look up at the night sky for awhile.

When I sail next year on Jade I have an Aft Balcony. If I see my neighbors leave the light on I will most likely leave a sticky note on their cabin door if I don't have a chance to talk with them directly. I will put my cabin # on it so they know it's from me. I think looking out late at night is awesome; especially if it's total darkness.

One thing I really like about cruising is being able to sit on my balcony at night reading.

On the Spirit last week, I was sitting there looking at the stars and just thinking how much better it would be if the people in the balcony next to mine didn't have their balcony light on permanently (I was never aware of them being out there, so I think it was probably just left on and maybe they didn't know).

Anyway, just at that point, the power went out all through the ship for about 30 seconds. The view of the sky was incredible.

It's a shame they can't do this deliberately, as it is rare you get the chance to see the sky in such perfect darkness.

But how do you read in the dark?:p Just kidding. I too like to gaze at the stars in the dark on my balcony.

Edited by Fins2theleft

So for star-gazing at night, would the bow be the darkest place? This explains why the shades in the Spinnaker were always pulled at night on the Pearl.

I live between two towns that are each about ten miles from me. We used to be able to see the Milky Way 25 years ago at night. Now there is a neighbor with a street light. We can see the 'light domes' from both towns and star-gazing has really changed. We are adjacent to a state Wildlife Management Area and have to drive into it to see any meteor showers and such.

In the middle of the ocean is an amazing opportunity to see the night sky without all the light pollution.

One of the many things that I love about Celebrity's S-class ships is that they have NO lights on the balconies.

We have so much light pollution on land (at least in our cities and towns) that being at sea is becoming one of the few places where you can really see the night sky, although it's pretty hard to get away from all light sources on a cruise ship. I love the story above about the CD on the Sun and his star gazing with the lights off on the upper deck. How wonderful!

Who's making rules?

In case it isn't clear, this is supposed to be a fairly light hearted thread, based on what a great view I had when the lights inadvertently went off.

If one person as a result goes to their balcony during a cruise, turns the light off and enjoys the view then it's been worth it . If not, oh well, there have been some interesting comments.

What are people who buy a balcony room allowed to do on their balconies anymore?! So many rules!

They can smoke, sing, sunbathe nude, dance, play poker, take pictures, do laundry, drink and whatever they want unless it becomes a nuisance such as balcony lights on 24/7.

On our last cruise, we upgraded to a balcony which is a big treat for me. I look forward to this rare opportunity to sleep with my door open to enjoy the sound of the ocean and feel and smell the sea breeze while falling asleep. I wake up a little later and close it. Our next door neighbors kept the balcony light on 24/7 of our 7 day cruise and so we had to pull the black out curtains on our door to darken the room so forget about getting a sea breeze and sound. I don't mind smelling the cigarette smoke rolling in occasionally from both sides, that's their privilege but please be aware enough to turn out the lights once in a while!

Edited by I Love Squidward

They can smoke, sing, sunbathe nude, dance, play poker, take pictures, do laundry, drink and whatever they want unless it becomes a nuisance such as balcony lights on 24/7.

On our last cruise, we upgraded to a balcony which is a big treat for me. I look forward to this rare opportunity to sleep with my door open to enjoy the sound of the ocean and feel and smell the sea breeze while falling asleep. I wake up a little later and close it. Our next door neighbors kept the balcony light on 24/7 of our 7 day cruise and so we had to pull the black out curtains on our door to darken the room so forget about getting a sea breeze and sound. I don't mind smelling the cigarette smoke rolling in occasionally from both sides, that's their privilege but please be aware enough to turn out the lights once in a while!

Well, now see. You having the door open will likely cause the ac to go off. Which can raise the temperature of neighboring cabins too. So maybe they were annoyed by that.

Well, now see. You having the door open will likely cause the ac to go off. Which can raise the temperature of neighboring cabins too. So maybe they were annoyed by that.

That why I turn off the AC, who needs it? Most of the time I make her sleep on the balcony. Hopefully her snoring does not wake up other people in the surrounding 20 cabins.

LOL

What are people who buy a balcony room allowed to do on their balconies anymore?! So many rules!

It may not actually be a rule but just a common courtesy.:) If you are not on the balcony why keep it on? Although I'm not saying you are (and hoping not) but I think there may be some people that just get enjoyment out of irritating their neighbors. I just don't get that!:mad: As someone said maybe people don't realize it because the steward has closed the drapes for the evening. Most of the time after we return to the cabin for the evening we will to out and just listen to the wake and enjoy the moon and stars but if not I hopefully haven't left the light on.:eek:

On our very first cruise we discovered there was a light on the verandah about day 4. The light was on. We never turned it on, so consequently didn't know it had been on for 4 days straight! It took some effort to find the switch to turn it off. Then we left it off. So some people may just not know.