Cut backs on Elite Breakfast (Coffee Break)

CruisingChick

I think someone suggested earlier that we wait and see if this was one ship, one cruise or if it's many/all cruises. Many of us have been on cruises where something new was tried. We were on the TA where they first tried the drink vouchers that worked on the second night after they quickly increased them from 2 to 3 per person per night. We were on the cruise where celebrity didn't send out luggage tags...everyone was supposed to copy the one in the cruise documents and attach it to their luggage somehow. That idea was scrapped after (actually they told us during) the cruise...bad idea. We have been on ships where there is one line for select dining, reservation or not. I'm sure there are other war stories. The message is that Celebrity tries things and sometimes even a ship tries something they think will work. It might be a one time test...it might be something that's going to be implemented fleetwide....we don't know until it happens.

Let's see how this goes....irrespective of whether one likes the idea of no buffet or likes the current set up. We don't know if it's fleetwide or one cruise.....so just hang loose until we get more reports.

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe she was just describing how it looked when they came in with no buffet set up. I don't think, she ever said the drinks were not available after they sat down.

OMG! No capers, well that should be a deal breaker for everyone! I couldn't live without a caper a day. You know what they say...a caper a day keeps the doctor away. Wait, is it a caper or apple? Seriously, does anyone know if they are not serving something they always had? Maybe the poster just doesn't like the items not listed in the post.

Lol, and what is interesting is that some have referred to cross-contamination if the food is served to them at breakfast time versus if they help themselves:confused:

Does that mean that those Who are concerned about allergic reactions at the Elite breakfast are not concerned about being allergic to the food that is served in all the other restaurants on board during dinner time?

I would think that there is actually an equal risk of cross-contamination

Haven't you ever seen people at buffets who use a utensil for one food and they don't replace that utensil to the dish from which it originally came?

Your capers response had me rolling :D

I'll just wait and see how it plays out. We are on the Solstice next week, so we might learn something.

At the moment it is all speculation, but this kind of thing does lend itself to some discussion, which I think is fair.

For my part, I don't really care whether it is buffet service, or whether the food is presented to each table on tiered servers, though I would think there would definitely be more waste that way. And logistically speaking, do they provide one tiered server for two people, and two tiered servers for four people, or how will they handle the different sized tables? Although it sounds quite gracious, it just seems so much more labour-intensive, and fraught with so many more potential problems, that it makes me wonder what the goal would be in instituting this practice.

My biggest concern would be, if the new type of service isn't well handled, that the attendance at the Elite breakfasts would drop off, as it apparently has done on Gail's cruise. It seems a fair speculation that the natural follow-through to low attendance would be the cancellation of the Elite breakfasts.

My other concern, if the Elite breakfasts were cancelled, would be the additional pressure on Café Al Bacio at a time in the morning when it is already very busy. I know that's where I will be going for my morning latte and almond croissant if the Elite breakfast folds. :)

I particularly enjoy the Elite breakfast because after a day or two, I always see a familiar face when I arrive, and people are always so welcoming. I've gotten to know some wonderful people through having the opportunity to chat in the Elite lounge, and some of those people have become friends. This has been one of the most welcome, but most unexpected benefits of cruising.

I agree with you. I especially like the quiet atmosphere and the opportunity to chat with people we've met previously without being rushed. Very disappointed to see this perk disappear. :(

Until last year, we hadn't been on Celebrity for some time due to different reasons, but after cruises on the Infinity and the Solstice we have put Celebrity back at #1 on our list. Hope they don't keep picking away at all the amenities they are noted for.

Will be on the Summit in August. Truthfully, never enjoyed the Elite breakfast- just a glorified continental breakfast- not really what we enjoy. So IMO not a great loss.

You can have room service if you like the quiet at breakfast time- or for a nice continental breakfast try cafe el Baccio. With the free drink packages, you can always get cappuccino or bloody mary's if you like that. On our last two cruise on the Silhouette, we never had the breakfast in the Tuscan Grill. Since we have the drink packages, we do not go daily to the Cocktail lounge either- they have just a few drinks that they offer which aren't great. Who needs the extra snacks before dinner. Just go to say hello to some people and stay a few minutes if at all. Royal Caribbean has a wonderful cocktail hour- with great food- Now those pre dinner snacks are worth the calories. They also have much better drinks offered to Diamond Club guests- if you are Elite on Celebrity- you automatically become Diamond club RC guests!

I agree with you, I never use the Elite breakfast either, I'm also not a fan of continental style nor do I like buffets much either. There are so many places to mingle and eat on the ship we don't even do the cocktail hour on Celebrity or RCCL. So to me this is not a big deal breaker.

Edited by DiamondSuiteCruiser

I agree with you. I especially like the quiet atmosphere and the opportunity to chat with people we've met previously without being rushed. Very disappointed to see this perk disappear. :(

Until last year, we hadn't been on Celebrity for some time due to different reasons, but after cruises on the Infinity and the Solstice we have put Celebrity back at #1 on our list. Hope they don't keep picking away at all the amenities they are noted for.

What perks has disappeared? Also won't it be a quieter atmosphere, if folks aren't going back and forth to the buffet?

I agree with you, I never use the Elite breakfast either, I'm also not a fan of continental style nor do I like buffets much either. There are so many places to mingle and eat on the ship we don't even do the cocktail hour on Celebrity or RCCL. So to me this is not a big deal breaker.

Another point about the buffet is that I have witnessed people, even in the Tuscan Grill at the Elite breakfast, using their hands to pick through the rolls and other food items. My DH got neurovirus once on a Disney Ship- so we shy away from buffets. If only option, we try to be first on line! I would rather have the staff bring me plates then getting it from a buffet. Just might lessen the odds of getting sick.

We are currently on the Constellation. There has been no cut in the elite or elite plus breakfast. The elite plus is in Tuscan Grill and Elite in Ocean liners. Everything is the same.

For us the 3 tiered tray would be a waste.

I like to choose my yogurt and the best looking of the fruit, maybe a muffin and a piece of cheese.

My husband MAY have the lox.

Neither of us are interested in the meats.

If they eliminate the buffet, the most practical would be to bring us only what we want to eat. That would mean more service, but there are quite a few servers assigned and they probably could handle it. The venue is rarely crowded.

We are currently on the Constellation. There has been no cut in the elite or elite plus breakfast. The elite plus is in Tuscan Grill and Elite in Ocean liners. Everything is the same.

Thank you uncle-b for checking in while on your cruise. I guess, like some have implied, there doesn't seem to be major cutbacks on the Elite breakfast on your cruise. Hopefully, others on cruises will chime in, so everyone will know if the change in service is just on this one ship or on others as well.

Thanks for the report. Didn't realize they were splitting Elite and Elite Plus into different groups. I guess it depends on how many members are sailing?

Change is hard, but not always bad.

The draw for the Elite “coffee house style “ breakfast, for us, was the specialty coffees and bloody mary or mimosa. Perhaps the recent beverage package give a ways, has caused a decline in attendance.

On some cruises ( port intensive European cruise) we used the benefit just a few times over 2 weeks. On a more relaxing Caribbean cruise, we used it more often. Even prior to reading this thread, and potential changes, we already discussed that on our upcoming cruise, we have no need to go the Elite Breakfast to get a specialty coffee and/or bloody mary and can simply get those items at the Café or in the MDR.

M

The attraction for us for the elite breakfast is for any cruise we are not eligible for Blu. Then it would be our first choice because it is quick. The buffet is too busy and the dining room can be slow in the morning.

Please let me know if Tenisha is still the maître 'd for select dining

Tenisha was absolutely wonderful on our back-to-back cruises on the Century in February. She made our Select dining experience flow seamlessly, and arranged for us to have the same serving team every night. She is a charming and effervescent personality, and an asset to the great Century team.

They are smart to CUT services.

They know their customers will accept cuts, so why wouldn’t they do it?

They are hoping their customers accept the cuts and pay the same prices. The problem though is that many of those here talk about cruising when they are at social affairs and they relate their experiences on Celebrity ships to others who perhaps cruise on other lines or haven't cruised. If those folks are talking about the cut backs...if they are focused on the cutbacks...then that doesn't help celebrity, in fact it hurts them. Those are the people Celebrity never sees.

We used to rave about celebrity to friends...we still talk about celebrity but with far less excitement and like others, we probably talk about how cruising has changed.

Celebrity really has lost focus on how important it is to make current customers positive and happy. They appear to assume that if you are on the cruise, you are going to be a positive salesman for them. I think that's a poor assumption...but that's how bean counters and the people/expense cutters look at it. IMHO, they look at current dollars....little focus on future dollars...and it's the little things that make a cruise special. Bean counters hate little things :)

Edited by ghstudio

Why would we post about the non cruising world on a cruising thread?

There's a non-cruising world? :confused:

Just kidding -- I think we all know everything we discuss on these boards are very much first world issues

Edited by CRUZBUDS

I hope they keep the Elite breakfast as is. We do not eat a large breakfast' date=' but enjoy the selection and the peace and quiet of the Tuscany.[/quote']

I'm totally in agreement with this statement. Quiet, relaxed, and a chance to talk with fellow passengers while not overindulging. Sometimes too much food is hard to pass up which is another reason to have the Elite breakfast.

Thanks for the report. Now maybe all the hysteria will die down.

For real! Ya'll are starting to make us wonder if we want to join the club when we hit our 300th point in Nov!:o

For real! Ya'll are starting to make us wonder if we want to join the club when we hit our 300th point in Nov!:o

We are much better behaved (well some of us) on the ships than we are on dry land and posting on the boards. Especially after a visit to the martini bar.

How much more segragation can a ship have? Suite dining, elite breakfasts, blu for Aqua guests, Micheals for VIPs, speciality restaurants for those happy to pay extra.

It may make those eligible feel wanted but those just starting to enjoy Celebrity......makes us feel like second class passengers who's custom isnt valued. Sounds like there isnt anything in the Elite breakfast that isnt available elsewhere so is it the ability to eat away from the masses ( those that paid less or who have cruised less) that appeals? Why is Celebrity so obsessed with the 'class' of its passengers and so desperate to reward them? I thought Cunard were the cruise line for those who were class obsessed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How much more segragation can a ship have? Suite dining, elite breakfasts, blu for Aqua guests, Micheals for VIPs, speciality restaurants for those happy to pay extra.

It may make those eligible feel wanted but those just starting to enjoy Celebrity......makes us feel like second class passengers who's custom isnt valued. Sounds like there isnt anything in the Elite breakfast that isnt available elsewhere so is it the ability to eat away from the masses ( those that paid less or who have cruised less) that appeals? Why is Celebrity so obsessed with the 'class' of its passengers and so desperate to reward them? I thought Cunard were the cruise line for those who were class obsessed.

First time cruises can go to Blu, just book an Aqua Class stateroom, or if you want to enjoy Michael's club book a suite. Those having nothing to do with loyalty perks.

First time cruises can go to Blu, just book an Aqua Class stateroom, or if you want to enjoy Michael's club book a suite. Those having nothing to do with loyalty perks.

Correct. But its about segregation.