Getting around/maps

Airportlimbo

First cruise is coming up, how do you navigate the boat?

Print pocket maps out? Maps on iPhone? Are there "you are here" maps onboard?

Do they give you a map to figure out how to get from a to b?

Thanks!

Thanks!

There will be a nice pocket/fold out map in your room when you arrive..

On the new Royal Princess and the soon to be sailing Regal Princess both ships have an intranet which includes ship's maps on any wireless device including on an iPhone. There's no fee to access it however it does not show your location or how to get to someplace on the ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer

You get a neat little map which if you drop it, is replaced for free. I would never carry my phone for this job since the phone is mostly paperweight otherwise. I found I quickly learned the ship. And, how lost can you get exploring the ship! I try to find all halls and corners and decks and views. Enjoy.

You''ll find deck plans like this in all the elevator lobbies. And, as others have said you'll also get a folding map when you check in. However, the map only has a side view of the ship (similar to the top map in my photo). I prefer the top down style map (bottom map in my photo). The fold out map doesn't have the top down view.

5442563895_18a5c52552_z.jpgGolden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

EDIT: Thanks RickEk for the photo of the folding map. It explains what I was talking about.

Edited by Jasperdo

My brain will not interpret those "from the side" pocket maps and wall maps. I got the Shipmate app (it works on computers, Android phones/tablets, and iphones/tablets). It gives and "overhead" view of each level of the ship, so you can see exactly where your cabin is located, restaurants, shops, restrooms, etc.

It also has your itinerary, excursion lists, a ship locator, the deck cams and more. And it is FREE.

Excellent app, get it!!

My brain will not interpret those "from the side" pocket maps and wall maps. I got the Shipmate app (it works on computers, Android phones/tablets, and iphones/tablets). It gives and "overhead" view of each level of the ship, so you can see exactly where your cabin is located, restaurants, shops, restrooms, etc.

It also has your itinerary, excursion lists, a ship locator, the deck cams and more. And it is FREE.

Excellent app, get it!!

How well does this app work when internet is not available?

In addition to the fold-out maps, there is a "treasure" hunt at the beginning of the cruise where the passenger is encouraged to visit a number of places and get their booklet stamped with the idea of a prize for completing the hunt.

Curiously, the hunt includes a number of shopping venues on the hip; I wonder why that is.

Thanks!

Just for fun, you don't get to navigate the ship. Only licensed deck officers can do that. :D

You don't need internet...for most devices.

You load the app, choose your cruise line and date from a list, then "look" at each deck in the "explore your ship" selection. This puts the decks in your device's memory and you are good to go.

It works great on my phone, making it very easy to carry around. It also worked well on my old tablet, but it won't stay in the memory on my new tablet (a Lenovo Yoga). The developers are aware of the glitch and are working on a solution. You won't know if it is an issue for you until you try it out.

Give it a try, it is a great app.

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using Forums mobile app

I tear the deck plan pages out of a Princess brochure and take them with us. The little side view maps they give you are almost useless, as they do not show the locations on many things, especially bathrooms.

Like Talisker92, I do it the Low Tech way. First cut the two pages of the ship out from old Cruise Atlas and mount the two pages on to a 14 x 17 board. Then put Sticky Magnets on the back and on to the bulkhead for my viewing when exiting stateroom to my next adventure. It's the BEST ship map available. I have about 8 of these map boards make up, so I do reuse them and they fit in my luggage.

I tear the deck plan pages out of a Princess brochure and take them with us. The little side view maps they give you are almost useless, as they do not show the locations on many things, especially bathrooms.

Great Suggestion! I just (2 minutes ago) took it 1 step further.

I'm leaving on the 17th for an Alaskan Cruise on the crown. I went to the .PDF Alaskan Cruise book on the princess and printed the deck plans from the book.

Thanks for the suggestion, it never occurred to me.:D

The Princess Cruise Atlas has deck plans for all of the ships.

I like to cut out the one for the ship I'll be on to take along because it has the full deck info including the location of the public restrooms.

LuLu

Do any of the rest of you like to study the deck plans before you cruise so you'll be totally familiar with where things are when you get on the ship?

LuLu

Obsessively and constantly!! I can't imagine sailing on a ship without having spent lots of time beforehand familiarizing myself with the layout. I like to plot out my routes from cabin to pre-dinner martini to dining room, or from cabin to pool, or from pool to buffet. Plus it's a fun way to while away time in cruise-countdown mode.

Ditto.

Obsessively and constantly!! I can't imagine sailing on a ship without having spent lots of time beforehand familiarizing myself with the layout. I like to plot out my routes from cabin to pre-dinner martini to dining room, or from cabin to pool, or from pool to buffet. Plus it's a fun way to while away time in cruise-countdown mode.

In addition I like to study the deck plans carefully before booking our cabin. :)

LuLu

As stated, the signage and maps they give you on board are ample. Just be wary of using as your only guide the maps they give you for going on shore. We used the Princess provided map to explore a little in Rhodes, got lost, and a policeman good-naturedly chuckled and informed us that our map was useless. Most of the streets, he said, had either been renamed or no longer existed. :cool:

As stated, the signage and maps they give you on board are ample. Just be wary of using as your only guide the maps they give you for going on shore. We used the Princess provided map to explore a little in Rhodes, got lost, and a policeman good-naturedly chuckled and informed us that our map was useless. Most of the streets, he said, had either been renamed or no longer existed. :cool:
Totally agree with that. I always print out port maps before I leave home. First I check out that town's tourism website and see if it has a good walking tour map. If I can't find one I'll print a Google Map of the area I want to explore, and mark the sights I want to see on it.

Yes. I even do this if I'm sailing a ship I've been on before. Hey! I might have missed something! ;)