Taking Grandchildren on a Princess Cruise

Freddyboy

I read a report recently that a few families were refused boarding on Emerald Princess last week - Emerald's first summer cruise this year from Southampton - Grandparents were told that they required a solicitors letter when taking grandchildren out of the country - parental permission wasn't sufficient - IS THIS CORRECT - P & O just normally ask relationships and grandparent normally have a parental permission letter and that is OK (after all it's the same group).

What a shame that families had their dreams shattered - there wasn't any pre-warning - just stopped at the port. IS THIS JUST AN AMERICAN STIPULATION ? :mad::confused:

I can not speak for the UK but in the US, anyone who wishes to take a child out of the country (unless both custodial parents are traveling) must have a notarized letter signed by all custodial parents stating that the children may travel. It is very specific stating with whom the child may travel, when they may travel and where they may travel.

We have been asked for this documentation at the airport and at embarkation.

You can find an acceptable form on line....

I'm guessing the solicitor's letter must be the equivalent of a notarized letter? In the US, if you need a notary public's seal on a form or letter, it's pretty easy to get one during business hours and it's usually under $10 (at least whenever the last time I needed one).

I read a report recently that a few families were refused boarding on Emerald Princess last week - Emerald's first summer cruise this year from Southampton - Grandparents were told that they required a solicitors letter when taking grandchildren out of the country - parental permission wasn't sufficient - IS THIS CORRECT - P & O just normally ask relationships and grandparent normally have a parental permission letter and that is OK (after all it's the same group).

What a shame that families had their dreams shattered - there wasn't any pre-warning - just stopped at the port. IS THIS JUST AN AMERICAN STIPULATION ? :mad::confused:

We took our grandchildren on Princess cruises twice; 2 girls one year, two boys 3 years later. Princess had a form that we downloaded where parents had to sign and we then had to have other permission forms notarized. We had all documents and were never asked for them on either cruise. This being 2014, things might have gotten tougher.

Yes a letter is needed, what a shame these families didn't do their homework before they tried to take these children out of the country. :(

We have taken Nieces and nephews and have been asked for the form.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I read a report recently that a few families were refused boarding on Emerald Princess last week - Emerald's first summer cruise this year from Southampton - Grandparents were told that they required a solicitors letter when taking grandchildren out of the country - parental permission wasn't sufficient - IS THIS CORRECT
It's a shame they didn't do their homework or their TA didn't give them the information. While inconvenient, this is for the children's safety and protection, which is absolutely the most important thing and the bottom line.

It's a shame they didn't do their homework or their TA didn't give them the information. While inconvenient, this is for the children's safety and protection, which is absolutely the most important thing and the bottom line.

I agree, and unfortunate situation due to either lack of research or communication from the TA, children need to be protected with sometimes inconvenient laws.:D

I googled and found a form which we got notarized, when I was taking my daughter and her children. her husband had to work so couldn't come. we flew to LA, boarded, cruised to Vancouver, disembarked and as we were going through customs about to leave the cruise terminal she was asked to provide it. really? we're almost home and NOW someone wants to see it. it would have made me feel better if someone had questioned us as we were leaving the country with the kids!

I can not speak for the UK but in the US, anyone who wishes to take a child out of the country (unless both custodial parents are traveling) must have a notarized letter signed by all custodial parents stating that the children may travel. It is very specific stating with whom the child may travel, when they may travel and where they may travel.

We have been asked for this documentation at the airport and at embarkation.

You can find an acceptable form on line....

However, I have to say that while I had this letter with me last summer, no one asked to see it at all. We were round trip from Seattle to Alaska on Oceania at the end of June 2013. I was with my 10 year old grandson (and no one would ever mistake me for his mother although we do have the same last name).

However, I have to say that while I had this letter with me last summer, no one asked to see it at all. We were round trip from Seattle to Alaska on Oceania at the end of June 2013. I was with my 10 year old grandson (and no one would ever mistake me for his mother although we do have the same last name).

Perhaps it was because Seattle and Alaska are both in the USA.:D

I am a Notary Public who lives near the Port of Los Angeles and I see these letters frequently. Most people just do a search for Parental Consent to travel for minor children and create their own form. The general consensus that most people do not plan properly is the unfortunate truth. I get called out for emergency signings late at night quite often.

This form should be combined with the consent for medical treatment in case of emergency. Consent to travel does not imply consent for medical treatment unless specifically addressed. When traveling with a minor child who is not your own, CYA is the best approach.

I am a Notary Public who lives near the Port of Los Angeles and I see these letters frequently. Most people just do a search for Parental Consent to travel for minor children and create their own form. The general consensus that most people do not plan properly is the unfortunate truth. I get called out for emergency signings late at night quite often.

This form should be combined with the consent for medical treatment in case of emergency. Consent to travel does not imply consent for medical treatment unless specifically addressed. When traveling with a minor child who is not your own, CYA is the best approach.

Good advice, too many people have not prepared properly and then complain when things go awry.:D

Yes a letter is needed, what a shame these families didn't do their homework before they tried to take these children out of the country. :(

We have taken Nieces and nephews and have been asked for the form.

When taking grand children, nieces, nephews out of the UK a letter is not normally required. So its not a case of not doing homework because it it is not required.

If cruise companies have a different rule to what is/is not required in law then they should make that clear at the time if booking.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse tryping orrers.

Maybe they don't worry too much in Canada to ask about the documentation or they didn't get off the ship.:D

Too many assumptions on your part to suggest that someone not carry the documentation....and the immigration authorities back in the US (upon their return) would have no idea if they left the ship in Canada or not.

When taking grand children, nieces, nephews out of the UK a letter is not normally required. So its not a case of not doing homework because it it is not required.

If cruise companies have a different rule to what is/is not required in law then they should make that clear at the time if booking.

Gee, why does your post not surprise me, seems you enjoy picking apart my posts for one reason or another.

Funny that the OP mentioned the solicitors letter and the fact that you have no idea who asked for documantation from us, in fact it was customs entering the UK and again entering Italy. I am glad that there are those Govt's that at least try and look out for exploited children.

We have taken the letter when we enetered Canada as well, and had them look at it too several years ago. As for the cruiselines countries requiring/asking for documentation thats all part of the know before you cruise learning experience.

Again thanks for shadowing me. :rolleyes:

You are correct. It is not required by law in most countries, but US Immigration and Passport control reserves the right to detain you as long as necessary to determine the relationship and confirm that this is not a case of child abduction. This also goes for a single parent traveling with a minor child with out the other parent. A letter from the non traveling parent, proof of custody or death certificate should be brought along as documentation.