Marmite

If you have tried it and don't like it, why would you have it again????

I am a vegemite fan, and would highly recommend it on toast (must be spread pretty thin!) and Dutch dark chocolate hail/sprinkles on top. Yummmm.

Vegemite is an acquired taste and I think it is best acquired while growing up. I don't think I have ever heard of an adult acquiring the taste. If you don't like it, don't keep trying it. That goes for vegemite or marmite. They are unlikely to change the formulas! :D

How does it relate to cruising? Well if you are on a ship and see it, be wary, if you haven't had it before you may not like it. Also do not spread it thickly. Never ever.

Edited by goodycruising

I see it in the Windjammer on every cruise, maybe I'll try it next time.......

I'll pass, thank you. But, I will check it out on my next cruise. I've cruised over 30 times and never saw it. Of course, I never looked for it either.:p

Gwen :)

Ok, I'll bite: what the heck is marmite?? And what does it look like? If it's been in the WJ on all my cruises I obviously have no idea what I'm looking at. Evidently not something common to Louisiana cuisine...:rolleyes:

Ok, I'll bite: what the heck is marmite?? And what does it look like? If it's been in the WJ on all my cruises I obviously have no idea what I'm looking at. Evidently not something common to Louisiana cuisine...:rolleyes:

It is a yeast extract made from the excess yeast from the beer brewing process. It is quite salty but it also is apparently quite high in the 5th taste type - umami. It is almost black in colour and you are supposed to spread it thinly as it has a very strong taste (I spread it thickly but then I'm a go for it type of guy). There is nothing really to compare it to taste-wise. A good addition to a stew as well.

I adore the stuff though many hate it - it is part of their advertising campaign - 'you love it or hate it'.

I was brought up on it and have a collection of Marmite jars and each of the speciality types as well (Guinness, Champagne etc..)

Well, ok then..."nutritional yeast". Sounds like something that maybe came out of the war rationing years? Is it a breakfast thing (on toast) or a snack thing? Or maybe if you are reduced to eating yeast it's just pretty much anytime??? (Sorry -- didn't mean to offend any marmite aficionados. You'd probably think what we do with crawfish is weird, too.)

Will be going on Navigator in August, so will check the WJ for it (although I'm betting that it would be a hard sell to a shipload of southerners!)

Thanks for expanding my condiment vocabulary!!