Royal Disappointment on Explorer

At some point I'll do an entire review with my usual demented sense of humor but today I'm just not up for it.

Let me handle the Royal Carribots first by saying none of this "RUINED MY CRUISE AND I'LL NEVER SAIL RCI AGAIN:mad::mad::mad:"

Just off the May 17 Bermuda cruise on Explorer. It was my favorite ship of any, across all cruise lines, so I was already maginally sad at saying goodbye, but Royal was nice enough to make it a bit easier.

For this cruise I bought three cabins for 1) my wife and me, 2) my son & DiL & Granddaughter, and 3) 2 young friends. It was a first cruise for my son, etc and I had been raving about Explorer to everyone for months.

Day one my Son's cabin has dried bloodstains on their sheets. He talked to Guest relations who sent someone to change the bedding. Day Two - MORE bloodstains on the undersheets. Apparently they changed ONLY the top bedding. I can understand coffee stains and such (though obviously that signals that the bedding was not changed). HOWEVER, failing to change bedding which contains biological material is absolutely unacceptable and having to make that call TWICE is inexcusable.

While I have no conclusive proof of causation, my DiL developed a nasty rash that is migrating and is now under medical treatment. I cannot rule out other potential causes but I will let Royal know about my displeasure (and NO I do not care about "compensation").

Day two in my own balcony cabin, we noticed five yellowish stains on our top bedding. Definitely not coffee or iced tea but urine yellow. Obviously this bedding was either not changed OR improperly laundered and inspected. This was also changed immediately but remains extremely disconcerting. I am seriously glad I didn't have a UV light with me cause I'd hate to have seen that result.

Overall, the cruise was fine but the "feel" was very different from Royal that we know and much closer to Norwegian in that most of the crew did their job competently but that's it. With a few notable exceptions (Clive at the Pool Bar, Kenger the washee-washee lady, and our wait staff in the MDR) the RCI feel of "I'm glad your here" was totally missing. That's very much a subjective thing but it definitely narrows the gap for me between RCI and NCL. I have always put RCI as first choice and this may no longer the case.

There were other little mosquito bite annoyances throughout the cruise but, as I said, we still had a good time. It just wasn't the RCI experience I have come to know and love so much.:(

and now........... Let the flames begin.

Edited by JohnGaltny

I don't think you posted anything "flame-worthy" here, just an honest (presumably!) account of some very unacceptable experiences. For the sheets to be soiled is one (very bad) thing . . . but for it not to be corrected to even a minimum standard of cleanliness the first time is, in your words, inexcuseable!

I hope that this is not the new normal for RCI, or even just for a ship due for dry dock in a few months. I doubt that it is, but still -- perception is reality.

I'm glad that you otherwise enjoyed your cruise. I'm sailing on Explorer in a few weeks and I guess I'll just have to give the bed linens a bit of an inspection (but still, maybe WITHOUT a UV light) :eek:

Many hotels and obviously RCCL too don't inspect their linens enough. I would hope they were all old stains that just didn't come out in the wash. :( But even then, management should be making sure those things are purged and not re-used.....:rolleyes:

Been there. We always check the sheets and mattresses (before we sleep in them) after a bad experience on FOS a few years ago.

I have never done this but from now on I will.

JohnGaltny, I give you a lot of credit for not letting it ruin your cruise. I'm not sure I'd be able to say the same thing. I'm a bit of a germ-a-phobe and it would make me question the cleanliness of the entire cabin.

In fact, I think I will be bringing disinfectant wipes to use next week on the Navigator....

Wow! :eek: Next cruise I am pulling the the covers all the way back for inspection. I have a friend whose wife takes their own linen to hotels when they are staying in one!

One thing I do take to hotels and on cruises is a pool tester kit to check the water before I will get in the pool, so that I know that there are enogh chemicals in it.

Edited by bigque

Sorry to hear that.

Were the "two young friends" actually "two young models"? I'm asking for a friend.

BOTH young friends + my daughter in law are models. We did some epic shoots but last time I even linked to them here someone from SOPA (Society of Perpetual Outrage) ratted me to Admin and I got my fourth "warning". I think with 5 I get a set of steaknives. LOL

Edited by JohnGaltny

That's horrible. When you mentioned your DIL's rash I wondered if it could have been bed bugs?

Again, I cannot definitively diagnose the causative process but I can't rule out the bedding either. It's enough to make me think long and hard about the RCI staff cutbacks and standards.

Again, I cannot definitively diagnose the causative process but I can't rule out the bedding either. It's enough to make me think long and hard about the RCI staff cutbacks and standards.

Don't rule out the desalinated water. I just got back from being on two cruise ships for almost 2 months, and I had skin irritation problems on my face and neck.

Also, there is a lot more sun poisoning issues going around with women who are light skinned or have sensitive skin. It's been a problem with going out in the sun after winter non-exposure, even with sunscreen on. I had probems this Spring and have a good friend who had serious problems.

This is NOT a "I told you so" to the OP:

If there is any problem with the bedding in your cabin, strip ALL the linens off, put them on the floor, and they will remake the bed with clean linens. Put a note on the linens if you cannot talk to the cabin attendant to tell him/her you want all clean linens. Better yet, call housekeeping and ask for it. They're on speed dial on the cabin phone.

This should be done on turnaround day, anyway, but obviously things didn't go right for the OP.

Edited by pcur

This needs to be reported to the hotel director and to Miami. For the sake of all who sail RC. They are "in charge" and the only way they know is from the passenger. Please do this for the sake of yourself and other RC passengers.

I love RC, but I would insist on clean linens at even the most basic hotel!

This is just totally unacceptable anywhere, especially on a very respected

cruise line. Yuck!!!

I cannot see even the "head-cheerleader" thinking this is ok---, not anywhere,

any time, and in more than one room!

Off my soapbox now.

Cruzin Lady

Don't rule out the desalinated water. I just got back from being on two cruise ships for almost 2 months, and I had skin irritation problems on my face and neck.

Also, there is a lot more sun poisoning issues going around with women who are light skinned or have sensitive skin. It's been a problem with going out in the sun after winter non-exposure, even with sunscreen on. I had probems this Spring and have a good friend who had serious problems.

Just happened to me - got back from Majesty and had a pretty bad sun poisoning rash all over my leg. Not fun!

Something is odd there...

Getting though the disgusting nature of blood on the sheets and blood on the undersheets... (yuk)

I would have though that when the laundry is done, a bunch of rooms linnens are all put into one machine, and run. Presumably, all the same size of linnens, so that they are easy to separate...

So IF (and that's the question) that actually happened, what are the odds that BOTH blood stained linnens end up together again?

To me, it's unreasonable that they number the linnens to the rooms- linnens should change rooms when washed.

And it's reasonable to think that there are a lot of the same size linnens being washed- even single bedding. So the linnens should be mixing it up with lots of others.

That kind of makes one think that the linnens were either not changed, or just moved from one cabin to another. eww.

if the proper process (which I'm assuming) was followed, what happened should be very long odds. So it sure seems as if what appears to be a reasonable process was (or is) not being followed.

So I guess I really need to start inspecting the rooms better when we get in them. Sorry that it took a disgusting thing like that to put in on more people's radar, that's for sure.

At some point I'll do an entire review with my usual demented sense of humor but today I'm just not up for it.

Let me handle the Royal Carribots first by saying none of this "RUINED MY CRUISE AND I'LL NEVER SAIL RCI AGAIN:mad::mad::mad:"

Just off the May 17 Bermuda cruise on Explorer. It was my favorite ship of any, across all cruise lines, so I was already maginally sad at saying goodbye, but Royal was nice enough to make it a bit easier.

For this cruise I bought three cabins for 1) my wife and me, 2) my son & DiL & Granddaughter, and 3) 2 young friends. It was a first cruise for my son, etc and I had been raving about Explorer to everyone for months.

Day one my Son's cabin has dried bloodstains on their sheets. He talked to Guest relations who sent someone to change the bedding. Day Two - MORE bloodstains on the undersheets. Apparently they changed ONLY the top bedding. I can understand coffee stains and such (though obviously that signals that the bedding was not changed). HOWEVER, failing to change bedding which contains biological material is absolutely unacceptable and having to make that call TWICE is inexcusable.

While I have no conclusive proof of causation, my DiL developed a nasty rash that is migrating and is now under medical treatment. I cannot rule out other potential causes but I will let Royal know about my displeasure (and NO I do not care about "compensation").

Day two in my own balcony cabin, we noticed five yellowish stains on our top bedding. Definitely not coffee or iced tea but urine yellow. Obviously this bedding was either not changed OR improperly laundered and inspected. This was also changed immediately but remains extremely disconcerting. I am seriously glad I didn't have a UV light with me cause I'd hate to have seen that result.

Overall, the cruise was fine but the "feel" was very different from Royal that we know and much closer to Norwegian in that most of the crew did their job competently but that's it. With a few notable exceptions (Clive at the Pool Bar, Kenger the washee-washee lady, and our wait staff in the MDR) the RCI feel of "I'm glad your here" was totally missing. That's very much a subjective thing but it definitely narrows the gap for me between RCI and NCL. I have always put RCI as first choice and this may no longer the case.

There were other little mosquito bite annoyances throughout the cruise but, as I said, we still had a good time. It just wasn't the RCI experience I have come to know and love so much.:(

and now........... Let the flames begin.

"Carribots!!!" That's funny. I've never heard that expression before. But that's a shame about the blood and urine stains. Gross!! I'm sailing next week and will be sure to check mine before I climb in. Actually that's one of the first things I'll do so there's plenty of time to remedy the situation before I turn in. But maybe you should not cross RCI totally off your list.....just take your own sheets next time!! ;)

"Carribots!!!" That's funny. I've never heard that expression before. But that's a shame about the blood and urine stains. Gross!! I'm sailing next week and will be sure to check mine before I climb in. Actually that's one of the first things I'll do so there's plenty of time to remedy the situation before I turn in. But maybe you should not cross RCI totally off your list.....just take your own sheets next time!! ;)

I have by no means written off Royal. I always check a new restaurant twice before I write it off so one bad experience would not drive me away.

However, as a result of the entire "feel" of the trip, my other choices (NCL and Princess) have definitely moved into more contention now. I still won't even discuss Carnival.

Very sorry to hear that, disgusting. Definitely a wake up call to check your linens on Day 1. I used to be diligent about it but have grown complacent lately... I'll definitely be more careful next time.

The family and I got off Explorer on May 17th.This was the 3rd.time on the ship.This past time I found the service adaquate at best.Missing was the WOW of past cruises.The Windjammer has declined over the years.The food was not that great.MDR was where we at our meals.Our room also had big stains in the rug.Not what you would expect to see.We are sailing on her again in Sept.We shall see.:confused: