Leaving tomorrow...A few ??s!

cruisin619

We are leaving in the morning for our Alaskan cruise tour on the Crown Princess! A few last minute questions....

1) What beverages are included with meals? We are traveling with two kids, so I want to make sure we don't need an extra package for milk/juice/etc.

2) How easy is it to do a load of laundry on the ship? I was hoping to do a load of essentials prior to leaving the ship prior to the land portion. Do they provide soap as well? Do the machines take quarters only or bills?

3) any other suggestions for onboard while traveling with two kids (ages 10 and 8)? I plan on enrolling them in the educational activities they offer for sure!

I am sure i may have a few other questions pop up as I am finalizing plans today, so please bear with me!!! Thank you!!!

1. Juice and milk are available at breakfast, milk at lunch and dinner (choc. milk too). In the buffet there are lemonade and iced tea available too.

2. This is a great thing about Princess, there are laundry rooms on almost all passenger decks. The machines are coin operated and soap is available from a machine on the wall. Be aware though that the laundry rooms do have restrictions when in Alaskan waters.

3. Give each of the kids a digital camera, an inexpensive one, and let them take their own photos while on the trip. Once home they can each create their own photo book about the trip.

Edited by Carolyn R

You can always get milk(at buffet or dining room). Juice only in morning.

Tea or lemonade available too. Lemonade I think only in buffet.

Childrens program is very good. Enroll them when you board.

There is laundry on every floor where there are cabins. You can purchase detergent in laundry as well as fabric softener.I had heard while in Alaska waters sometimes they don't allow laundry to be done. Don't know if still in effect. We have done laundry and also sent it out while in Alaska so don't know if it is at some locations.

Have fun.

Thank you guys so much!!! We are all looking forward to this trip, but I feel a little behind the eight ball today for some reason! It is hard to pack for two "separate" vacations and pack lightly at the same time!

Do you know if the dress code for dinners are as strict for kids? My boys live in tshirts...so they were planning on wearing the under armor shirts and jeans to normal dinners and a polo and blue dress pants for formal dinners (this is as dressy as they get!)

Also, are the pools heated? I was planning on taking one swimsuit for everyone, but if the water is not heated, I may leave mine at home:eek:

Thank you again for all of your tips and answers! It has been 15 yrs since i was in Alaska last (for our honeymoon) so my mind is a little foggy!

Alaska is very casual. boys should be fine .

Don't worry about the packing. Layering clothing is what you will do.

When we go to Alaska I actually pack lighter than on other cruises.

And you can repeat outfits, no one will notice.

Have been on the Crown a few times. You will love the ship.

Take a swimsuit for you. The weather is so changeable...and the pools are heated, although usually not overly so. There are hot tubs.

Check with your cabin steward about when the laundry will be closed, I do remember it being closed on Glacier Bay day, but I think you find it to be open most of the time. Usually the easiest times to find a washer available are very early in the morning or during port days when everyone else is ashore.

The kids programs in Alaska are usually great!

Have a fantastic vacation!

Do you know if the dress code for dinners are as strict for kids? My boys live in tshirts...so they were planning on wearing the under armor shirts and jeans to normal dinners and a polo and blue dress pants for formal dinners (this is as dressy as they get!)

Dress codes aren't strict for kids, but they should still dress appropriately. I wouldn't let mine wear t-shirts to the dining room, even though they do live in them at home. Polo shirts for smart casual nights is more appropriate. They don't need suits and ties for formal nights, but a long sleeved dress shirt probably wouldn't kill them. ;)

**coming out of the woodwork**

I will be very interested to hear your report when you return. We're doing the same cruise on the Crown in late July, but in reverse I think. We're doing the land portion first around Denali then sailing Whittier to Vancouver. My boys are much younger (4yrs and the baby will be 9 months) but we'll also be traveling with DH's family, our nieces are 10, 10, 12 and 18. I definitely plan to do laundry, I've read that there are dollar changers but am planning to take a roll of quarters and Tide pods. My boys are messy. Our room happens to be right next to the laundry, I imagine my MIL did that on purpose when she booked everything. :p

Anyway, have fun!

Oh and packing is already giving me nightmares. Packing for little people is 10 times harder than packing for myself! As for dress code, I picked up a jacket and tie for my 4 year old at a resale shop, but I may let him go in just a dress shirt on formal night. It will depend on who's feeling feistier, him or me. He's never worn one besides SIL's wedding when he was ring bearer. I bought the baby a screen-printed-tuxedo-t-shirt. :D

What they're planning to wear is perfectly fine! :)

LuLu

T shirts are fine for casual evenings. It's been years since Princess banned them, especially on kids. Also utilize a larger old water bottle to save juice from the morning buffet in the refrig to have at night.

Edited by Lovetocruiseprincess

Thank you guys so much!!! We are all looking forward to this trip, but I feel a little behind the eight ball today for some reason! It is hard to pack for two "separate" vacations and pack lightly at the same time!

Also, are the pools heated? I was planning on taking one swimsuit for everyone, but if the water is not heated, I may leave mine at home:eek:

How will you all fit in the one swimsuit?:D

Thank you again for all of your tips and answers! It has been 15 yrs since i was in Alaska last (for our honeymoon) so my mind is a little foggy!

On our first trip to Alaska, there were two young girls on our tour as well. Mom and dad packed a small back pack with things to keep the girls happy while on the buses and trains. We never heard a peep out of them! Small books, iPod, hand held game system? Small DVD player? It takes hours to get from point A to point B. Snacks in their bags would be good too. Have binoculars? Good to have on the long rides as well.

I have the three in one sheets I take along so I don't have to buy detergent in the laundry rooms. Washers and dryers are all $2 per load. The machines are a good size, as big as mine at home. To buy soap, the cost is about $2 as well. Yes, there are dollar changers in each room but they don't seem to work all the time. The pursers desk will also have change if you don't want to take rolls of quarters.

Since you are doing the land after the cruise, were you aware that most of the lodges also have laundry rooms? I know there was one at Denali in our lodge and one at Copper River. So, I would think that there will also be rooms in the others.

Have a great time! Loved the Crown this past winter. Heading to Alaska at the end of summer again!

The laundry rooms can be quite small. They also fill up fast especially the last couple of days before the cruise ends. Everyone has the same idea. Find out the laundry room hours and be their first thing in the morning.

Bring quarters.:D The Purser's desk had run out a few times. Sometimes they will have tokens but not always. Also as others have mentioned take along some pods or three in one sheets. Repeating outfits is no problem. No one will notice.

A great idea signing the kids up for all the activities you can. They will love it. :)

I always found the pools to be too cool for my taste. But I bet the kids won't even notice.;)

We also loved the Crown Princess. Very nice ship.

Enjoy your cruise.:):)

If you can get the kids into some dressy clothes for formal night, it is a great time for some family pictures.

We cruised to Alaska with our grandchild and the professional pictures taken on formal night turned out great.

Enjoy Alaska and your cruise!

As far as I know the Crown Princess hasn't been fitted for a retractable roof since coming over from Atlantic cruises -- the other ships on the Alaskan itinerary have a pool under a retractable roof which gives everyone at least one pool to use on iffy weather days.

I would definitely have the kids wear something a bit more than tee shirts for dinner. Surely they go to special occasions where they need to get dressed up. But if not, they can get some nice meals at the buffet or the poolside pizzeria or grill.

On our Alaskan cruise our daughter was 7 and going through that stage of not wanting to dress up (even though she had to for her music recitals and whatever costumes she had to wear for plays when doing summer theater). So she ended up eating pizza or buffet every night and then went off to the kids' area for the evening activities while we went to dinner. A few cruises later at age 15, she willingly dressed up more (though in her own style:p) and wanted to eat in the main dining room (when we got a complimentary dinner at Sabatinis, she wanted to come there too and try out some new foods).

Definitely, ask about what hours and days the laundry is open. Alaska is different because of environmental issues. I don't think it is open in some ports. You might ask more than one person just to be sure you get good info. If the machines for change arent working, the pursars desk can make change.

Your kids can wear t shirts or polos to dinner especially in Alaska. Its much less formal than other destinations.

Donna

We are leaving in the morning for our Alaskan cruise tour on the Crown Princess! A few last minute questions....

1) What beverages are included with meals? We are traveling with two kids, so I want to make sure we don't need an extra package for milk/juice/etc.

There is milk and juice at Horizon Court (buffet area) in the morning. If your kids are still drinking off sippy cups or spill-proof cups, bring extra and fill them up to leave in the fridge. The mornings (before 10:30am) are the only time you will have a chance to fill up those cups. At lunch time and dinner time, if you want to get milk and juice, you will have to eat in the dining rooms. You can order milk/chocolate milk and juices off the kids menu. But they do come in small glasses. So remember to tell the waiter to bring you large cups of milk or juice so you can fill up your kids' sippy cups to take back to your rooms. One thing though, if you bring sippy cups, remember to bring a small sponge or wash cloth and dishwashing detergent so you can rinse out these cups thoroughly in your rooms.

If you allow your kids to drink soda, you can buy the soda cards or buy the sodas by the can. Or you can put a case of your favorite soda in your suitcase to bring on board, if you wish.

In the Horizon Court, there are tea/coffee corners where you can make ice or hot tea easily. Kids may like ice tea. You can also get your water bottles filled at these tea/coffee stations.

2) How easy is it to do a load of laundry on the ship? I was hoping to do a load of essentials prior to leaving the ship prior to the land portion. Do they provide soap as well? Do the machines take quarters only or bills?

It is easy to do laundry on the ship. But depending on where you cabin is, it maybe a haul to go from your room to the laundry room. Check ship's floor plans for the location of self-laundry rooms. I usually bring 2 large plastic bags (one for dirty laundry and another to hold clean laundry), a roll of quarters (you can get more quarters from purser's office), powder laundry detergent (I put 2-3 loads worth in each ziploc bag), spray 'n wash stick for stains, and dryer sheets. But they sell laundry detergent and dryer sheets in the laundry room, but I prefer to bring these things from home. Sometimes, I would bring a few plastic hangers to hang up some pieces that don't dry well. Yes, for some reason, one drying cycle can never dry my clothes properly and I refuse to put in more coins for a 2nd drying cycle. In my experience, just hang up the semi-dried clothes in your closet or bathroom, turn room heating on, then go to dinner. Everything will be line-dried by the time you get back from dinner.

3) any other suggestions for onboard while traveling with two kids (ages 10 and 8)? I plan on enrolling them in the educational activities they offer for sure!

Look at the Kids' patters as soon as you get into the cabin. Let your kids pick and choose the activities they want to attend. Find out when kids club registration takes place and remember to register at the designated time. I believe Princess still gives each child a free t-shirt to color. It's a nice Princess Kids' Club t-shirt! Even if you miss this activity, you can still ask the ladies who work there for a t-shirt to color. There is really nothing "educational" about their kids' program, but it is a good babysitting program for parents to have a few hours of peace and quiet. Kids will do crafts, play games, and watch movies. Of course, they also meet kids their own age.

A lot of parents want to spend every moment of family time with their kids, but since you are paying the same cruise fare for your kids, you might as well maximize it. Princess offers a pretty good kids program. Send your kids there when you see something on the Patter that you want to do.

We are the type of people who don't spend too much money on food when we get into port. We try to get back to the ship to have lunch and dinner. But sometimes kids get hungry and need snacks before we get back to the ship. This is when the extra cereal boxes (Kellogg's frosted flakes, corn flakes, fruit loops, raisin brans) we get at breakfast come in handy. Mind you, check to see if the ports allow you to bring food off the ship. I think it's OK for Alaskan cities. I would bring extra ziploc bags to bring bagels, cookies, or pastries if those are something your kids would enjoy as snacks. The key is not to pack a whole meal, but a small snack to tie them over until you get back to the ship to have a proper meal. The last thing you need during excursions are whiny, tired kids.

Oh, back when my kids were your kids' ages, they didn't have iPads. We would bring portable DVD players so they can watch their favorite movies (they were too old for coloring books) while we ordered food from the extensive menu in the dining room. Of course, the kids ate fast, so when the parents are still talking and enjoying the long dining experience, the kids need something to do while the parents finish up the entree. We take out the DVD player again, so they can watch some more movies until the desserts arrive. Now the iPads, iPhones, iPods have replaced Gameboys, Nintendo DSs, and DVD players. So as long as you have something to keep your children busy while the adults eat, everyone will enjoy the dining experience that much more.

Edited by merela

1. Juice and milk are available at breakfast, milk at lunch and dinner (choc. milk too).

You can always get milk(at buffet or dining room). Juice only in morning.

Juice is available in the dining room at lunch and dinner on the kids menu.

Milk is available at all meals and also all day in the buffet. You can also get milk at the International Cafe and from room service. Room service will also have no-cost juice at breakfast time.

There is really nothing "educational" about their kids' program, but it is a good babysitting program for parents to have a few hours of peace and quiet. Kids will do crafts, play games, and watch movies. Of course, they also meet kids their own age.

While there is a lot of game playing and movies, there are some educational activities, particularly in Glacier Bay, if the OP goes there.

We are the type of people who don't spend too much money on food when we get into port. We try to get back to the ship to have lunch and dinner. But sometimes kids get hungry and need snacks before we get back to the ship. This is when the extra cereal boxes (Kellogg's frosted flakes, corn flakes, fruit loops, raisin brans) we get at breakfast come in handy. Mind you, check to see if the ports allow you to bring food off the ship. I think it's OK for Alaskan cities. I would bring extra ziploc bags to bring bagels, cookies, or pastries if those are something your kids would enjoy as snacks. The key is not to pack a whole meal, but a small snack to tie them over until you get back to the ship to have a proper meal. The last thing you need during excursions are whiny, tired kids.

This is absolutely NOT ALLOWED in Alaska. Do not do it. Prepackaged items like the cereal boxes are fine, or granola bars and such that you might bring from home, but they must be sealed in original packaging.

Oh, back when my kids were your kids' ages, they didn't have iPads. We would bring portable DVD players so they can watch their favorite movies (they were too old for coloring books) while we ordered food from the extensive menu in the dining room. Of course, the kids ate fast, so when the parents are still talking and enjoying the long dining experience, the kids need something to do while the parents finish up the entree. We take out the DVD player again, so they can watch some more movies until the desserts arrive. Now the iPads, iPhones, iPods have replaced Gameboys, Nintendo DSs, and DVD players. So as long as you have something to keep your children busy while the adults eat, everyone will enjoy the dining experience that much more.

If you do this, please have them use headphones or turn the volume OFF. These things can be quite annoying to nearby passengers who are trying to enjoy a meal. Another option is to have one parent run them up to the kids club once they are done eating, and then the parents can enjoy a leisurely dessert and coffee.