Help, son may need to leave cruise early

AAAMomOfOne

Hi,

You've all been so helpful in the past, I'm turning to you for help! My son just found out his band has been selected to play at Vans Warped Tour. Of course it is our last day at sea. We are traveling to Bermuda. Could he leave the ship and fly back?

I feel so bad, they lost out last year.

Cora

He can as long as he makes arrangements with NCL ahead of time. Call them to get their OK. I assume he has a passport, as that will be required in order to take the international flight home.

(And before anyone jumps in...NO...this is not a PVSA issue as his cruise would start in the US and end in a foreign country, Bermuda.)

Edited by njhorseman

On my breakaway cruise to bermuda a lady who was part of our roll call said her daughter was meeting them in Bermuda and was only going to sail back on the ship. So she spoke to NCL about this in advance. So make sure you contact NCL about this.

Hi,

You've all been so helpful in the past, I'm turning to you for help! My son just found out his band has been selected to play at Vans Warped Tour. Of course it is our last day at sea. We are traveling to Bermuda. Could he leave the ship and fly back?

I feel so bad, they lost out last year.

Cora

Congrats to your son! That's awesome!!

JenTX4NYC - Thank you, he's psyched! I feel bad, we'll be on the ship and not able to see him.

I've contacted NCL and we're waiting to hear back from the Dawn. They said it's customary and they've never seen it denied and that I could purchase the airfare. We told him we'll get you to the USA, he needs to figure out how he gets home :).

He's so happy!

JenTX4NYC - Thank you, he's psyched! I feel bad, we'll be on the ship and not able to see him.

I've contacted NCL and we're waiting to hear back from the Dawn. They said it's customary and they've never seen it denied and that I could purchase the airfare. We told him we'll get you to the USA, he needs to figure out how he gets home :).

He's so happy!

He does have a passport??????

In most cases when somebody says they have to leave their cruise early for work it's a bad thing. But in your son's case this is so exciting. I know you're thrilled for him. Maybe somebody can videotape the concert for you. Again congrats and enjoy your part of the cruise with your son.

Edited by DMH15

He's so happy!

He'll be fine, I'm positive NCL won't give it a 2nd thought.

My sons played in school bands when they were young so I'm really sending him best wishes. Hope his band does really well but even if they don't win it's still a great experience. Kudos to him.

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes' date=' simply explain it as a personal emergency.[/quote']

It is not necessary to characterize it as a personal emergency. As others have stated, just let them know in advance. Should not be a problem.

"Nobody usually gets denied"

Denied for what? I can walk off the ship with all my crap and fly home from any port. I am not bound to be on a ship.

No it's just a border and customs thing not a ncl

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

"Nobody usually gets denied"

Denied for what? I can walk off the ship with all my crap and fly home from any port. I am not bound to be on a ship.

In some instances you could be in violation of the law by doing so and subject to a fine.

For example if you disembarked in a US port other than your port of embarkation your disembarkation might be in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, for which the cruise line would be fined $300 which you would be required to pay.

In a foreign country you could be lacking an entry visa not required of cruise ship passengers and could be arrested, jailed, fined and deported from the country. By making arrangements in advance through the cruise line, they will make sure you will not be in violation of any of the country's laws and make the necessary arrangements for your clearance by local authorities to enter the country.

Edited by njhorseman

First off......Congrats to your son!!!!. Second, yes it should not be an issue. Friends of ours took the BA to Bermuda and then stayed another 4 days Cambridge Beach Resort. They packed up Friday afternoon checked out and grabbed a cab

In some instances you could be in violation of the law by doing so and subject to a fine.

For example if you disembarked in a US port other than your port of embarkation your disembarkation might be in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, for which the cruise line would be fined $300 which you would be required to pay.

In a foreign country you could be lacking an entry visa not required of cruise ship passengers and could be arrested, jailed, fined and deported from the country. By making arrangements in advance through the cruise line, they will make sure you will not be in violation of any of the country's laws and make the necessary arrangements for your clearance by local authorities to enter the country.

So, what happens if you miss a ship? Are you in violation of the law?

So, what happens if you miss a ship? Are you in violation of the law?

Technically you may be. It's one the port agent's jobs to help you with your onward travel plans and making sure local authorities are aware of your presence in the country.

Update: Just received call from NCL, port services has approved the early departure. Barring any unforeseen issues (weather, changes in security) my son will be playing at Warped Tour in Mansfield!

Excellent! :D (Did you get this in writing just in case?)