HAL to Texas?

Sat1

I am so envious. How nice would it be to have only a 2 - 2 1/2 hour flight to a cruise terminal and only a couple of hundred bucks. We typically endure 5+ hours of flying and flight tickets north of $500 each to get to FLL.

On another note, I just read that Norwegian is pulling out of New Orleans and that the port authorities are hoping another cruise line will fill the void.

The cruise market is changing though. Ships are spending less time in the Caribbean and North America market and more time overseas.

As a transplant to Texas who hangs his hat in the Austin area, this would make me ecstatic. I've never cruised out of the Texas Gulf, but having the option of a Caribbean HAL ship departing from a mere three hour drive........I could actually cruise more often. Wait & see, wait & see.

So you are not one to try any of the ships that sail out of Texas now?

For me--you are quite correct, DW and myself would not consider any of the existing cruise lines out of Galveston, but will if HAL begins to cruise from there. For a cruise out of Galveston we probably wouldn't even leave the ship, we've HAVE DONE the western caribbean both from land and sea. But a warm week on a HAL ship in the winter that we can drive to--that's well within my wheelhouse.

Even being a relatively new cruiser, I know that the two Carnival and the one RCCL ships would not suit me. They all have well over a 3k+ passenger capacity. While those aren't nearly as bad as some of the newer floating cities that have shown up, it's enough to disgust me. HAL comes close enough to my tolerance limit as is, anything more I'd probably have a brain aneurism.

I have no interest in water slides. Nor do I want a wave runner machine, or a mini golf course, or a full size movie theatre. I want a 'quiet' ship where I can 'putter around' at my pace and breathe it all in. I also have no problems with HAL rolling up the sidewalks so early in the night. I'm not a party type of person, and not into crowds. I also find large amounts of folks in my age range, (mid 30s), aggravates me, as so many seem to be self-absorbed, walking around blabbing on their phone not watching where they are going, and generally being rude. I don't want to take a vacation in a floating mall so to speak.

For me, HAL is a good fit. I can not ever see my self trying out any other lines unless they decided to offer a good itineraries, that was on a vessel closer to HALs size, and preferably under 2k.

On another note, I just read that Norwegian is pulling out of New Orleans and that the port authorities are hoping another cruise line will fill the void.

I heard it as RCCL was pulling out of NO, not Norwegian, but both could be. And I know that the Port of NO is in talks with 4 other cruise lines, so we shall see. I would love HAL to do Panama Canal cruises out of NO -- something other than the standard Western Caribbean itineraries.

Galveston does not have commercial air service. The closest airport is Houston Hobby, which is a major Southwest airport. I am seeing non-stop flights from SNA to HOU for as low as $298 round trip. Of course, there is the matter of getting to the port, which is about 40 miles south in Galveston.

Yes, if I like Southwest I could get what you consider a cheap ticket for around $300, but it not my airline of choice. My favorite airline does not go to Houston and my second favorite would be around $500 and ofcourse that is for one person. Yes I know Galveston does not have commerical airline service. Then we have to get to Galveston. I'll just put it this way, it is just to expensive and to much of a hasel to cruise out of Galveston. I think we'll stick with Fll or SD even better for us.

Yes, if I like Southwest I could get what you consider a cheap ticket for around $300, but it not my airline of choice. My favorite airline does not go to Houston and my second favorite would be around $500 and ofcourse that is for one person. Yes I know Galveston does not have commerical airline service. Then we have to get to Galveston. I'll just put it this way, it is just to expensive and to much of a hasel to cruise out of Galveston. I think we'll stick with Fll or SD even better for us.

we'll miss seeing you in the Lone Star State, I'm sure....everybody does what is best for them, everybody is happier

SW has changed the "cattle call" boarding procedure. Now you line up in order of your boarding pass number - it works very well IMO. The $12.50 cost you mention is to move you up in the line.

Its MUCH improved over the old way. Plus, as others have pointed out, free bags.

As to Hobby to Galveston pier, there are shuttles that make the run, so no big deal IMO.

From OKC this is a great option - airfare usually around $200 roundtrip plus you can even drive it.

DaveOKC

Dave,

It really is a big deal. We have sailed out of Galveston a few times. In the winter, fog is an issue and I highly suggest arriving a day early and departing a day later. Also, if you want to rent a car, there is only an Enterprise location in Galveston and they are closed on Sunday. There are not enough hotel rooms in Galveston if anything else is in town besides 2-cruise ships. Our last trip, we opted for staying in the Hilton at Nasa Space Center. We were sailing on a sunday and ended up paying for a week of parking for the rental car. Thank God! we booked an extra day in Texas as we were fogged out till 2:00pm vs our 6:00am arrival.

Naturally living in Texas we'd love to have a port we could drive to and, in fact, we did do our one and only Celebrity cruise out of Galveston in 2005. Celebrity had the now gone Galaxy in Galveston for three or four winter Caribbean seasons in the mid 2000's. Supposedly they did well but pulled out after what was called a "test" and have never come back, at least not on a regular basis. In the subsequent years I've had the opportunity to speak to HAL regional sales reps at local cruise fairs about HAL coming to Galveston. Pretty standard answer has been along the lines of "never say never but there are no plans to use Galveston". From what I could garner there are two issues with Galveston. One, the area's limited ability to easily support passengers near the port and two, the limited itinerary choices out of there.

I still think its an idea that makes sense maybe for one season to "test the waters"

First--remember we are not talking about Fort Lauderdale in any way shape or manner. This would only affect people who regularly (not just once we tried it) from Tampa. We winter vacation on Anna Maria Island, where you can see the ship every weekend, but we have only sailed out of Tampa twice. So "it's not as easy as FLL" is a moot point.

The advantage to HAL would be that they might attract more people from the mid/south west who would like to test drive HAL. They might start to attract a younger demographic that they need to survive, a group that is looking for something a little more upscale (well promoted as upscale).

They might also attract HAL regulars who would want to see a new port and do an easy Western Caribbean route.

Just saying it makes sense to me, now New Orleans--that would be fun!!!

Truthfully -- I hope not.

Being as we have no direct flights to anywhere, it is hard enough and a long day just to go from Pittsburgh to Ft Lauderdale.

That would mean 1 less ship sailing out of Florida.

Of course there are places with direct flights from Pittsburgh :confused: -- including to the cruise ports of Houston, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and even Baltimore, Boston, and New York, according to this map of all non-stop routes from Pittsburgh: http://www.flypittsburgh.com/route_map :)

Every airport has to have direct flights to somewhere :rolleyes:, if only to the places where one transfers to connecting flights. After all, all the planes that take off from one airport have to land at another one.;)

Of course there are places with direct flights from Pittsburgh :confused: -- including to the cruise ports of Houston, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and even Baltimore, Boston, and New York, according to this map of all non-stop routes from Pittsburgh: http://www.flypittsburgh.com/route_map :)

Every airport has to have direct flights to somewhere :rolleyes:, if only to the places where one transfers to connecting flights. After all, all the planes that take off from one airport have to land at another one.;)

Very interesting chart, sailandcruise. Thanks for the link! I didn't know such charts existed, so never knew to look for such a chart for my own, or other airports.

This could result in some worthwhile research.

[quote name='sailandcruise']Of course there are places with direct flights from Pittsburgh :confused: -- including to the cruise ports of Houston, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and even Baltimore, Boston, and New York, according to this map of all non-stop routes from Pittsburgh: [url]http://www.flypittsburgh.com/route_map[/url] :)

Every airport has to have direct flights to [I]somewhere[/I] :rolleyes:, if only to the places where one transfers to connecting flights. After all, all the planes that take off from one airport have to land at another one.;)[/QUOTE][SIZE="3"]LOL, Yep, I chuckle about this each (and every) time I read this same complaint. I picture planes taking off from Pittsburg and going [I]nowhere[/I]..... :rolleyes:

I'm happy we have nonstop flights to Houston (even better than direct flights ;) ) - just in case HAL [I]does[/I] base a ship in Texas. [/SIZE]

A new cruise port opened in Houston (Port of Houston) a few months ago. Princess, and NCL will sail from there.
Carnival continues to sail from Galveston. I believe RCCL will sail from Galveston-- not sure.
I know it's a rumor, but it would be great to have HAL sail from Houston area.
(Only hope not to Roatan/Belize City. We were very disappointed with those ports when we went there last November--had high hopes.)

I wish HAL would do a partial Panama Canal cruise from Houston like the one we took on Celebrity in 2005. It was a great 12-day cruise.

I hope HAL puts a Vista class ship in Texas. I enjoy the ambiance on HAL ships. My next two booked cruises are sailing out of Texas. NCL Jewel from Houston and Navigator of the Seas from Galveston.