Clothes that shriek TOURIST!

ekkc10753

As much as I can, I try to blend in when I'm in another country and I avoid some clothing options that would be just fine at home.

Has anyone who's recently been in Europe noticed if maxi-skirts and maxi-dresses are being worn? Or will maxi-dresses announce that I'm a tourist?

We are blessed to have concerns as trivial as this, but I'd still like to know:o

My advice would be to go to tripadvisor and ask on the local forums. You are a tourist and so will many of the people in the places you are stopping, so if you are very comfortable don't worry---be happy.

We were over last year on a land trip and to be honest I didn't bother to look at what other people were wearing. I assumed people carrying cameras and taking pictures were tourists like me.

Edited by mountainmare

As much as I can, I try to blend in when I'm in another country and I avoid some clothing options that would be just fine at home.

Has anyone who's recently been in Europe noticed if maxi-skirts and maxi-dresses are being worn? Or will maxi-dresses announce that I'm a tourist?

We are blessed to have concerns as trivial as this, but I'd still like to know:o

There is British male tradition to wear high socks with open toed sandals. Then walk about as if you own the country you are visiting. Stand out as a tourist? Yes! - Do they see themselves? No! - Are they bothered? No!

So just wear what you want on shore, but try not to deliberately insult any Cultural or Regigious sensitivities. Good tourists are welcomed.:D.

Be proud of being a tourist and be pleased to be visiting their country.

DW says Yes, maxi skirts and dresses are being worn in Europe (we are currently on an extended driving trip around France and Switzerland). On the other hand, if you really want to blend in just wear jeans :). But to truly blend in you must learn the languages, wear the right shoes, walk like a European, etc. After over forty years of extensive travel we do not try to be what we are not, but rather be comfortable with ourselves. It is almost humorous to see Americans and others trying to "blend in" when they are always running around as part of larger tour groups. Last night we dined out in Chamonix, France and our waiter actually mentioned that it was nice to see some Americans not traveling as part of a tour group. We chatted with him and his own observation was that both Americans and Japanese get so caught up in their groups that they do not discover the real soul of Europe. I should mention that Chamonix is a wonderful Alps town quite frequented by Brits but largely ignored by Americans.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I was in Europe last summer & to summers before on cruises and wore maxi dress all the time. In general in only wear dresses. Never felt in screamed tourist and many times people though I was a local

Sharon

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The great throngs following the guides with the umbrellas remind me of ducklings following their parents!

I don't mind being myself, I'm quite comfortable at this point in my life. But I like to meet people without advertising myself in advance (if that makes any sense)

One of my better days in Copenhagen was after shopping for presents for the home crowd, plopping myself down in a sandwich shop for a snack, and the woman at the next table leaned over and began chatting with me in Danish. We had to transition to English pretty quickly since my Danish is limited to Good Morning (Afternoon, Evening) and Please and Thank you. Perhaps she would've spoken to me anyway, I don't know. But I was dressed an awful lot like her and it pleased me to feel like a local for a moment.

Really? Are 60 y.o European women really wearing jeans these days?

I always find these questions funny. ;) As mentioned in this thread, tourists are tourists. You can spot them no matter what they are wearing. Locals are generally moving quicker thru the traffic and around slow walkers with a destination in mind. They aren't carrying cameras, ipads, maps etc.. out in the open and stopping to take in the "sights".

What is the point in trying to blend in? Unless I was entering a church and want to follow religious tradition of respect, I don't worry. And if it's a popular tourist city, during the day the locals are at work and you end up being around other tourists from around the world.

The only thing I do is to learn some basic courtesies in the local language. That is more important to me.

Edited by eandj

I always find these questions funny. ;) As mentioned in this thread, tourists are tourists. You can spot them no matter what they are wearing. Locals are generally moving quicker thru the traffic and around slow walkers with a destination in mind. They aren't carrying cameras, ipads, maps etc.. out in the open and stopping to take in the "sights".

What is the point in trying to blend in? Unless I was entering a church and want to follow religious tradition of respect, I don't worry. And if it's a popular tourist city, during the day the locals are at work and you end up being around other tourists from around the world.

The only thing I do is to learn some basic courtesies in the local language. That is more important to me.

I walk quickly, carry my camera in my purse, and don't pull out a map in a visible public area -- these are cues to pickpocketers.

I also learn a few words of the local language and try to dress appropriately for the location.

I do not take ship tours very often or even private tours if I can use public transportation to get around.

.....you might be surprised how often I have been mistaken for a local. Or, if not a local, at least as someone who is a temporary resident.

ekkc10753, I have also had similar experiences at dinner, particularly in Italy. As I am often traveling alone -- and Italians regard eating alone as an invitation to strike up a conversation -- I have enjoyed some interesting conversations with locals who started out assuming I was (or could speak) Italian.

Really? Are 60 y.o European women really wearing jeans these days?

Yes, but definitely not in summer months - far too hot.

Lots of linens plus maxi's, midi's and mini's (for the younger element), crops, shorts, strappy sundresses. I don't think anything is particularly In or Out currently - seems almost anything goes:D

What screams I'm a tourist is my shoes.. I wear sensible walkers while the agile Italian ladies wear sky high stilettos on cobble stones. :)

Shar

My favorites are the young women perched on the back of a scooter in a tight skirt and high heels, clutching their boyfriend with one arm and talking on their "telefonino".

We can recognise American tourists (older men, anyway) by their check trousers and either toning or pastel sweaters.:D;)

Must say, however, we don't see 'em dressing like that in the States - must be their "tourist" clothes!

Edited by chrispb

If you are at the tourist spots, you're a tourist! I say, don't worry about it! I live in a historical town...I can point out the tourists, and we're ALL American! The tourists are the ones looking at all the points of interest that the locals NEVER do!

Is there something wrong with being a tourist?

Maybe just more likely to be a target for purse-snatchers and other thieves.

In Barcelona we were amazed that the local guys put their wallets in their back pockets. This is supposed to be a big no-no for tourists, one of the first things on any list of safe travelling.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Lots of linens plus maxi's, midi's and mini's (for the younger element), crops, shorts, strappy sundresses. I don't think anything is particularly In or Out currently - seems almost anything goes:D

Your response on my jean issue made me laugh. Just this morning, while on top of Mt Blanc, we met a very friendly couple from Wales. They were both in their 60s (or older) and yes, the lady was wearing jeans. And you do see lots of Jeans in store windows,,,.some selling for well over 500 Euros.

Hank

In general, people who want to dress like the locals to 'fit' in or be less of a target for pickpockets are fooling themselves more than anyone else.

Bottom line is that most locals can spot a tourist a mile away. And even more so for pickpockets who expertise lies in their ability to 'size' up their intended victims-along with their well honed powers of observation. It is not just clothes. As others have mentioned it is shoes, hair, behaviour, gait, etc. etc.

And if dress is not enough, the locals simply have to hear someone utter a few words and the gig is up.

Best advice I have is simply be yourself, dress in a manner that is comfortable for touring and then get on with the serious business of being a tourist. And of course, observe the local customs and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

It has become just a little silly. A barman in Amsterdam told my sister how he can easily spot Americans who like to wear a Canadian flag pin on their lapel. He said the secret in the trade is that Americans prefer the larger Canadian lapel pins while Canadians generally wear a smaller, more discreet pin. Just an example of how the locals can figure out one from the other.

Edited by iancal

Well then, sounds like just about everywhere.:D

I was standing still in the center of the Alitalia check in area at Rome Airport without speaking or walking. I was dressed entirely in clothes I had bought during our travels the last two weeks in Italy and was waiting for DH. An Italian gentleman approached me and spoke in English. I started to laugh and asked how he knew I was at the least an English speaker and probably American. He told me it was my way of standing. Huh? I was always told I have decent posture. He knew just by looking at me all dressed in casual but excellent quality Italian fashions/handbag/shoes.

Edited by sail7seas